Page 61 of 235 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571111161 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,525 of 5872

Thread: COVID-19 Coronavirus Information and Discussion

That's cool!
    E-A-T

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox
    A lot of people have homeowners insurance but usually the cheapest they can afford in order to satisfy the mortgage company.
    Where I live, you can buy a homeowner's policy, but it won't include earthquake or flood insurance, the two most likely catastrophes. I'm sure if you live on the edge of town, they don't let you have fire insurance either.

Wanting to return to the patterns that brought this trouble about doesn't make sense to me.
    Absolutely agree. People have been wanting to change some of our worst systems for a lifetime or more, but the people who are unaffected, and the legislators (of all parties) they own, want to keep things the way they have always been.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Where I live, you can buy a homeowner's policy, but it won't include earthquake or flood insurance.
    We had a flood in the early 2000's here and Allstate refused to pay for probably 99% of the homeowners who had policies. They all went to court and the federal judge sided with Allstate.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    We had a flood in the early 2000's here and Allstate refused to pay for probably 99% of the homeowners who had policies. They all went to court and the federal judge sided with Allstate.
    Of course he did.

Reminds me of "Nowhere," an out-of-print novel by Thomas Berger (Little Big Man). In it, the protagonist is told that in Nowhere, there is no insurance, because it is illegal to wager on another man's misfortune.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Yesterday was a weird day. I mean, I'm completely fine and feeling very fortunate, but for one thing there was an active shooter alarm at my work. I had the day off, but I heard about it when I was texted by a couple people asking about it. It was actually in a building a mile down the road from the one I work in. Turned out to be some sort of malfunction with the new alert system that was recently installed.

Then I heard there is a proposal afoot to close down several of the Vermont state college campuses permanently. One of them is the nearby Vermont Technical College where my son, my wife and I all got the same degree in electronics which has served all of us so well in our careers. I can't even begin to imagine what would have become of me without that. Seriously! And every day at work I see the continued need for people with these skills. But, more immediately, this is a huge blow to the local area in terms of employment. My neighbor works there and I'm pretty sure was counting on sending his kids to the state college system tuition-free.

It will also suck because we will lose our inexpensive gym membership and the ability for me to swim regularly which has completely transformed by lower back issues. But that seems pretty minor in the grand scheme of what this means in a state that many feel is already struggling to employ everyone.

Maybe these things weren't that big of a deal, but it sure felt like bad news to get against the backdrop of the current world situation.
    <sig out of order>

The Air Force Academy had their graduation. All the cadets marched in side by side and sat down side by side with no masks. The commencement speech was given by the coronavirus zar Mike Pence. What type of example and leadership does this show to the American people who are supposed to do the exact opposite of what they did. My middle daughter won't have a college graduation gathering next month because of the virus.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Excellent article, Frank! We've got a steep learning curve and a ton of bullshit to wade through in the battle to survive this virus and emerge with a desirable society intact.

duplicate post

The Air Force Academy had their graduation. All the cadets marched in side by side and sat down side by side with no masks. The commencement speech was given by the coronavirus zar Mike Pence. What type of example and leadership does this show to the American people who are supposed to do the exact opposite of what they did. My middle daughter won't have a college graduation gathering next month because of the virus.
    Fools. I wonder if Pastor Pence shook any hands.

I have two daughters who won't have college commencements this year. One of them was supposed to graduate last year, but her school went bankrupt and locked the doors (two credits shy of finishing). So, this is the second portfolio review that's being taken away from her.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

What type of example and leadership does this show to the American people who are supposed to do the exact opposite of what they did.
    "Do as I say, not as I do!"

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Fools. I wonder if Pastor Pence shook any hands.
    If the snake don't bite, you must delite

What really gets me is some of these protesters wearing masks. If they believe everyone should bravely go back to business as usual, how about they lead by example and bravely remove their masks.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Ok, serious question here, not sure where else to ask:

Once things went south we told our housekeeper to stop coming for now, but we’ve kept paying her.
    Her husband had to quarantine because he was around someone who tested positive. He quarantined for two weeks and neither of them have symptoms (she has a teen son too). My wife thinks it’s now ok for her to start coming and cleaning again. She’s back cleaning for one other family.

I think it’s a bad idea and undoes the whole isolation thing. She thinks it’s no riskier than if I go food shopping. The money isn’t really an issue, we’ll figure that out. But my wife is a bit freaked by the whole house sort of becoming a man cave.

That’s basically it. I’d ask Fauci or Sanjay Gupta if I could!

I’m disappointed Kate Bush hasn’t personally reached out to connect with her fans in this crisis. I need to see her and her son baking in their kitchen and miming and stuff.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I’m disappointed Kate Bush hasn’t personally reached out to connect with her fans in this crisis. I need to see her and her son baking in their kitchen and miming and stuff.
    ???

Ok, serious question here, not sure where else to ask:

Once things went south we told our housekeeper to stop coming for now, but we’ve kept paying her.
    Her husband had to quarantine because he was around someone who tested positive. He quarantined for two weeks and neither of them have symptoms (she has a teen son too). My wife thinks it’s now ok for her to start coming and cleaning again. She’s back cleaning for one other family.

I think it’s a bad idea and undoes the whole isolation thing. She thinks it’s no riskier than if I go food shopping. The money isn’t really an issue, we’ll figure that out. But my wife is a bit freaked by the whole house sort of becoming a man cave.

That’s basically it. I’d ask Fauci or Sanjay Gupta if I could!
    Not sure if you had her stop coming because he had to quarantine or because you didn't want someone coming into your home during this situation.
    If you asked her to stop because of reason #2, nothing has changed and she shouldn't come into the house because you have no idea of who she's been in contact with or how she practices social distancing when away from your home.
    So I would say continue the no housecleaning until things are better(my gut tells me we will know when).

Very kind of you to continue paying her..you rawk!
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    she shouldn't come into the house because you have no idea of who she's been in contact with or how she practices social distancing when away from your home.
    that's the main thing. When we go to the store, we know how we practice disinfecting and touching and social distancing, but we have no idea how well another person goes about this. I'm not letting anyone into my home for another few weeks at the very least; perhaps months
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I go to the office Monday through Friday. On the weekend the highlight of my day is going to the grocery store. I'm gloved and masked at work, and the grocery store trips. I'm fortunate to have the job I have.
    E-A-T

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Not sure if you had her stop coming because he had to quarantine or because you didn't want someone coming into your home during this situation.
    If you asked her to stop because of reason #2, nothing has changed and she shouldn't come into the house because you have no idea of who she's been in contact with or how she practices social distancing when away from your home.
    So I would say continue the no housecleaning until things are better(my gut tells me we will know when).

Very kind of you to continue paying her..you rawk!
    Thank you! #2 is the reason. Yeah, her social distancing is probably fine, but we don’t know beyond that.

About the supermarkets, I just read something saying they might need to stop letting customers in because workers in the stores are dying. Fucking A. They’d do curbside pickups and deliveries.

I was planning on getting a passport this year but at this point it's not important. I'm not a big traveler but I really want to visit the U.K. and maybe Spain. I'm 62 years old. I'd like to make the trip some day but if it doesn't happen I'm ok with it. But I really wanted to get the passport. Maybe I still will get one. You need a passport in Miami-Dade County.
    E-A-T

Thank you! #2 is the reason. Yeah, her social distancing is probably fine, but we don’t know beyond that.

About the supermarkets, I just read something saying they might need to stop letting customers in because workers in the stores are dying. Fucking A. They’d do curbside pickups and deliveries.
    I just came back from a Trader Joe's ( 3:30pm Sunday ). There was a line of about 25 people ( six feet apart ) stretching down the sidewalk. Almost everyone had a mask of some kind.
    No more than 25 customers in the store, no reusable bags. Each cart disinfected and a squirt of hand sanitizer for each customer when it was your turn.
    The store was fully stocked, and based on the day and TOD it was an eerie experience, if you have been there at that time 3 months ago.
    Staggered checkouts to spread folks out. Almost more staff than customers.
    Our local safeway has a customer limit and one way aisles with friendly staff to remind you not to bunch up.
    I hope it works as expected.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain