Page 57 of 235 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167107157 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,425 of 5872

Thread: COVID-19 Coronavirus Information and Discussion

I am a high school teacher here in Charlotte. For everyone here with kids, I'd like to say thank you for getting them on their computers, pushing them through lessons, keeping them in contact with their teachers, putting up with (what I can only assume) is a horrible misery. My district is on Spring Break right now (my joke to my kids: For your Spring Break vacation, go to that one room in your house you haven't been to in a while), and I'm still checking in with my kids, answering their questions and watching College Board reviews with them. Hopefully your kids' teachers are putting in the work to keep them engaged. I hope so.

And I hope for that because I don't think we're going back to school this year. Schools are closed through 15 May, so, in theory, we'll be back on 18 May, and my students will be able to take their AP test at school on 20 May. In theory.

NC might be up and running by June. Maybe.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

^^ Pennsylvania schools are closed for the remainder of the school year. And rightly so.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    For one thing, the world HAS TO Reopen the economy, and I don't understand this doomsday scenario regarding social activities like sports, concerts, etc never happening again?
    We will get through this, the world has had repeated challenges over the decades, some like the plague were devastating, but the world got through it, life didn't stop, people didn't become hermits.
    We've lived on the brink of nuclear annilation, mass diseases, floods, firestorms, several World Wars..for the US 911 which changed the way we live yes, but we didn't stop going to concerts or flying in airplanes.

If we look back to other generations and the amount of hell they've overcome, what we're going through with this is childsplay.(not undermining it's challenges and death). But when I think of what my parents went through, the Great Depression which lasted 10 years, the dust storms in the 30's, a hellish World War, we're gonna give in and not have concerts anymore??? surely we have more determination, drive and will then to just surrender over this event.

I don't know who or what media or scientific or scholastic group is suggesting such things, they need to get some backbone and not wimp out..I'm just boggled in my brain at what I've just read.
    No offense dude, I like your comments, but man, don't give up so easily.
    I really couldn’t agree more. Nothing to add to this dose of perspective, proportion, and common sense which is sadly all too lacking at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Do you really think that Southside has adopted many of the 'best practices'?
    Except for places like Richmond and Roanoke and VA Beach and surroundings where there have been outbreaks.
    Perhaps it just does not make the news 'up here'.
    I don't know about the best practices, but I think one possible strategy (of course we don't actually know the plan) will be to go on a county-by-county basis. And likely the lighter density populations who have not had outbreaks will see restrictions lifted first.

I'm not sure if you have seen the VDH website that keeps the stats, but this can be helpful to at least get a sense of the statewide data.

http://www.vdh.virginia.gov/coronavirus/
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Bravo!

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    ...I think one possible strategy (of course we don't actually know the plan) will be to go on a county-by-county basis...
    Assuming everyone stays in that same county. That's the problem with selective re-openings. People travel.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    All I can say is that the last concert I went to see which was Progstock in New Jersey (October 2019) will be THE LAST CONCERT I will ever see.
    For one thing, the world HAS TO Reopen the economy, and I don't understand this doomsday scenario regarding social activities like sports, concerts, etc never happening again?
    Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Really. Never is a LONG time. This episode has been going on for less than 6 months.
    And follows on the heels of many other outbreaks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Instead of "never," I would say "until a vaccine is developed and distributed."
    Exactly.

In the near future for the short term, we will undoubtedly go through a time where we will debate and argue about the safety of everything from concerts & sporting events to airplanes, cruise ships, subway trains, business conferences, and restaurants.

There will a group of people dedicated to shaming anyone who participates and another group that will not think it a big deal. There will be a stigma surrounding it, but also legitimate phobias. There may very well be future outbreaks that will ignite the debate and potentially stop these gatherings again all together.

The vaccine is really the key here. I'll say that again. The vaccine is really the key here. This is a novel coronavirus. Novel means it's new and there is no cure/vaccine. Most in the scientific community feel confident that we will have something by next spring/summer. Of course that doesn't factor in distribution, which could really be a global nightmare and take another year.

This is why reports have come out that have said things like "there could be social distancing (of one form or another) until 2022" because we have to accept that it may be 2022 before the vaccine is well distributed.

But it will end. Fears will fade. Eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    Arizona hasn't been hit nearly as hard as some other states, but the school year has been shut down to the end, May 22nd, so I'm guessing that's the soonest we could start to see any kind of return to business
    My brother works as a bus driver for the Chandler School District, and has been out of work since schools shut down. Zia records shut down long before Gov. Ducey shut down all other non-essential businesses.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Assuming everyone stays in that same county. That's the problem with selective re-openings. People travel.
    Oh, no doubt. One reason I'm curious how far the USA will go in restricting both global and domestic travel. In Hawaii, for example:

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/...a-new-program/

In the Phoenix area, pawn shops are open to make loans on and buy stuff, but their showrooms are closed to shoppers. I predict when this is all over, pawn shops will be a bonanza of smokin' deals on musical instruments, A/V equipment, computers, et cetera, et cetera.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Exactly.

In the near future for the short term, we will undoubtedly go through a time where we will debate and argue about the safety of everything from concerts & sporting events to airplanes, cruise ships, subway trains, business conferences, and restaurants.

There will a group of people dedicated to shaming anyone who participates and another group that will not think it a big deal. There will be a stigma surrounding it, but also legitimate phobias. There may very well be future outbreaks that will ignite the debate and potentially stop these gatherings again all together.

The vaccine is really the key here. I'll say that again. The vaccine is really the key here. This is a novel coronavirus. Novel means it's new and there is no cure/vaccine. Most in the scientific community feel confident that we will have something by next spring/summer. Of course that doesn't factor in distribution, which could really be a global nightmare and take another year.

This is why reports have come out that have said things like "there could be social distancing (of one form or another) until 2022" because we have to accept that it may be 2022 before the vaccine is well distributed.

But it will end. Fears will fade. Eventually.
    I agree, this isn't going to happen overnight, and the economic and psychological damage that has been done is going to take some time to recover.

I also agree, a vaccine IS the key, and modern medicine has technology like we've never had before. Brilliant minds and software programs will find the answer, and it will be a time where technology will be able to shine, and in spite of many negative things it's used for in so many ways, this time it will be the answer in finding the answers to control it. At least this version, and that's a step towards learning how it can mutate or appear in a different version.

I don't believe the world economy can handle social distancing until 2022, it just can't sustain that long of a hit to the world financial market.
    Which makes me optimistic all the resources, from all governments and the scientific community of many countries will unite and find a vaccine, because money is a great motivator.
    Plus the impact of a world with most people out of work would be unthinkable.

As you write, fear will be a big thing to deal with, but I also believe this..Sean wrote "But it will end. Fears will fade. Eventually".
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Banned
    Regarding vaccines in an April 10th Story in National Geographic:

Drug companies and universities are now racing to develop a COVID-19 vaccine, with at least 62 efforts currently underway, according to the World Health Organization. Experts are optimistic that a vaccine will prove successful, based on early evidence that coronavirus patients can produce antibodies, the proteins in blood that attack and neutralize viruses.
    “A year to 18 months would be absolutely unprecedented,” says Peter Hotez, dean at Baylor University’s National School of Tropical Medicine. “Maybe with the new technology, maybe with throwing enough money on it, that'll happen. But we have to be really careful about those time estimates.”

Anyone catch what SD is doing? Their governor, Kristi Noem, whom I loath, has refused to order shelter in place and now is supposedly running a clinical trial for chloroquine (sp, sorry). I would love- as a person with a master's degree in bioethics- to see the protocol and ethics approval for this. I cannot believe she just up and ordered the local hospitals to provide a drug with its known side effects to patients who are not yet seriously ill. Without a comparison group.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Banned
    Last edited by Buddhabreath; 04-15-2020 at 02:34 PM.

Banned
    Leaked CDC and FEMA plan warns of ‘significant risk of resurgence of the virus’ with phased reopening.

A draft national strategy to reopen the country in phases, developed by the Federal Emergency Management Agency and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, emphasizes that even a cautious and phased approach “will entail a significant risk of resurgence of the virus.”

The internal document, obtained by The Washington Post, warns of a “large rebound curve” of novel coronavirus cases if mitigation efforts are relaxed too quickly before vaccines are developed and distributed or broad community immunity is achieved.
    Of course.

Ya know it's hard to believe or trust in any of these organizations or what they say anymore, or the confusing messages the CDC sent during this. Don't wear masks, wear masks, then masks are essential to help stop spreading the virus.
    Setting aside models, which to me are almost as predictable as which direction a hurricane will take, we have the other side of the world and the countries which were hit the hardest to look at and use that information and what is happening to their population as they slowly life restrictions.
    Of course, the important information is to see the IMPACT and whether cases rise, stay flat or continue to decline after relaxing restrictions.
    Here is one report. And yes, it's just one report, but it at least puts all the countries together in one place and summarizes where they're at now.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co...kdown-18087920
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

cute! I love it
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

these aren't some whacky off the grid churches but large churches, and have gone ahead and held services open to the public.
    most American religious sects have become dependent on religiotainment to keep the $$$ flowing, so it's all about the live show exciting their constituents to reach in their pockets. Very few religious organizations could sustain a video service for more than a couple of weeks; especially if exciting their constituents with showmanship is their bread and butter. I'm not knocking any specific religion; just stating the facts.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Instead of "never," I would say "until a vaccine is developed and distributed."
    precisely

and hope that another highly contagious, novel virus does not pop up anytime soon

I hope none of the TP hoarders will be allowed to return the objects of their selfishness.

"Wuhan, which started as the centre of the crisis, ended its three-month lockdown last week. Residents were able to leave the city, which has a population of around 11 million, for the first time in 76 days."

I suppose China will serve as a test to see if relaxing social restrictions will result in a resurgence of the thing... stay tuned

Los Angeles is already preparing to have no major events with large crowds until 2021. It's one of a number of scenarios they're looking at.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac
    Reno, Nevada television news reports on new cases, coronadeaths, other stats by county in Nevada each day. There are new cases popping up in very unpopulated counties. Most everyone is complying with the lockdown and not traveling. How are the new cases getting out to the middle of nowhere? Selective re-openings seem a bad idea even with no travel. Especially when we are doing a poor job of tracking the virus and contacts even under lockdown. This is not to knock the scientists who are trying to do that job. They have an incomplete data set to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER
    I hope none of the TP hoarders will be allowed to return the objects of their selfishness.
    They should return them, for the sake of those who have none, but no refunds should be allowed. The Drakes supermarket director's response was correct. The US also seems to have no punishment for people who deprive others by selfishly hoarding.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I'm a little worried about reopening myself. We're just south of the Canadian boarder. Southern British Columbia are in a state of mourning since travel has been limited and they're not going to spend their money at home. There's going to be a deluge of Canadian shoppers flooding every big box store and shortages will resume. Many of the Covid-19 related products became available again after the travel limitations were implemented. The local economy will get a boost but the possibility of a relapse would very likely. I wouldn't be surprised if they were already lining up at the boarder.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Stores should allow returns at a significantly reduced rate and membership stores like Sam's Club and Costco should revoke memberships of anyone return large lots of products.