Page 50 of 235 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460100150 ... LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 5872

Thread: COVID-19 Coronavirus Information and Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    can't believe that China would (knowingly?) deliver unfit masks after being the origin of Covid
    They did - I have just checked with a Finnish journalist (friend of mine).

Banned
    We just got word that Maryland has ramped up testing which finds the weak and asymptomatic carriers. China grossly under sampled the asymptomatic and weak cases. According to accurate data collected with accurate testing across the full spectrum of people, no infection to full infection, the number of mild cases is much larger than expected. That’s the good news, but the bad news is that asymptomatic can infect others and their behaviors could make more infection likely. So yesterday the number of infections per day went up -400% in one day because they ramped up testing across the spectrum. Hooray! Mitigation is still hugely important, but accurate testing can isolate the infected. Models have taken the Chinese data which had under-representation of mildly infected and calculated what the fatality rate would have been if isolation had been more effective from testing, and the fatality rate would have been 0.5% or half of the observed 1%. People will question the 1%, but China did a solid lock down, compared to other places which didn’t. Lockdown is extremely expensive, and a cost trade should be made in the future as to whether lockdown is less expensive than comprehensive testing and isolation.

Good news:

Because of Covid-19, Kraan had to cancel their concerts, and instead started recording a new album.

Someone on Facebook said we're about to head into a real bad depression, suggesting we're about to see about 7 years worth of inflation in the space of 18 months.

Charlotte Figi (aka Charlotte's Web - CBD, medical marijuana) dies at 13. Not definitely COVID related, but not ruled out either.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/08/healt...ies/index.html
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Good news:

Because of Covid-19, Kraan had to cancel their concerts, and instead started recording a new album.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    My son was out of country and finished his quarantine after 3 weeks. He was tested for COVID-19 and he is fine. I'm thing about inviting him and his girlfriend and my sister over for a BBQ this long weekend.

Do you think this is prudent?
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Unless you know for certain the other individuals have been tested(negative), I don't think it's a good idea.
    Have you been tested and are negative? if not, it's not fair to risk exposing them imo.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Unless you know for certain the other individuals have been tested(negative), I don't think it's a good idea.
    Have you been tested and are negative? if not, it's not fair to risk exposing them imo.
    My son tested negative. I spoke to both my sister and son and we decided that we should be safe and not gather.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I don't give much attention or credence to reporting that has moved on to speculation of a recession or depression. Let' s get through this.
    I don't watch Fox Business but it was one of the videos that popped up in my YT feed today, and due to the title I clicked on it and watched a bit.
    They were saying the opposite, that there is good potential for there to be a financial boom once we are through this crisis.

I'm from Michigan, Detroit area and my friend from High School who I keep in contact via Facebook has said the auto companies are gearing up to start production again.
    So perhaps, we can keep our fingers crossed and the financial fallout from this crisis will be shortlived and people will get back on their feet rather quickly.
    There is a feeling in the air I get from business and the financial community that is worlds apart than what we had in 2008(at least my gut feeling).

My son tested negative. I spoke to both my sister and son and we decided that we should be safe and not gather.
    That's great news about your son, and good call about the gathering.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Someone on Facebook said...
    Someone on Facebook said this is all a hoax, too.

My son was out of country and finished his quarantine after 3 weeks. He was tested for COVID-19 and he is fine. I'm thing about inviting him and his girlfriend and my sister over for a BBQ this long weekend.

no.

Smart move. Even if they tested negative, they may have interacted with others since then or picked it up from touching something.

I don't watch Fox Business but it was one of the videos that popped up in my YT feed today, and due to the title I clicked on it and watched a bit.
    They were saying the opposite, that there is good potential for there to be a financial boom once we are through this crisis.
    Depends how they define "financial boom." They likely define it as the stock market going up, which is no indicator of economic health. Often, a so-called "booming" stock market is merely obscuring the cancer that lies underneath. Just look at the bubble before the last recession.
    Last edited by Poisoned Youth; 04-09-2020 at 04:45 PM.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Depends how they define "financial boom." They likely define it as the stock market going up, which is no indicator of economic health. Often, a so-called "booming" stock market is merely obscuring the cancer that lies underneath. Just look at the bubble before the last recession.
    Oh I totally agree, and I don't want to get going on my views on Wall Street, shareholders and the financial banking world.
    It's all built on a pile of sand and make believe money.
    I had to laugh the other day, the market was going up due to news China and Italy were showing signs of remission and later in the day it sharply dropped because oil prices dropped...

But I'd rather have them reporting something positive and hopeful at this time, rather than gloom and doom.
    But I don't think you need to be a Fox News Business reporter to see, the road to recovery means$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Oh I totally agree, and I don't want to get going on my views on Wall Street, shareholders and the financial banking world.
    It's all built on a pile of sand and make believe money.
    I had to laugh the other day, the market was going up due to news China and Italy were showing signs of remission and later in the day it sharply dropped because oil prices dropped...
    The stock market is driven by drama queens.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Basicly showing that NY has more contact with Europe (Italy?) than with China (Wuhan region) ?
    I realize this takes you to a subscription page. It was originally on my iPhone news feed.

The takeaway is not so much that most of the NYC outbreak came from Europe, but about the process/science behind tracking viral mutations. It also makes reference to the team at Penn State that tracks it back to bats.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Times like this makes me appreciate PE all the more. An unbiased place where people from around the world can talk freely with no agenda behind it is becoming rarer.
    With moderation, we're flattening the curve.

This whole social distancing thing is reminding me of being out at sea in my Navy days. Every day is like the last, so it doesn't really matter what day of the week it is.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Unless you have nosy neighbors who will rat you out to the Covid cops go ahead.

We have already had to cancel our annual Easter get together due to said nosy neighbors who have already complained about family get togethers.

We do have a large extended family since both my wife and I have 5 sons and my sister in law also has 5 kids (all adults now) plus assorted spouses and grandkids.

DtB

But I'd rather have them reporting something positive and hopeful at this time, rather than gloom and doom.
    But I don't think you need to be a Fox News Business reporter to see, the road to recovery means$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
    In a 24/7 news cycle, there's a lot of space to fill. There's some great reporting, information, and documentation of personal anecdotes throughout the days, but beyond those, the vast majority of time is full of opinions. Even taking the partisan ones out of the equation, what you're left with is mostly speculation with a wide variance of actual accuracy. Heck, even in "normal" times, these guys get it wrong 50% of the time.

It's difficult to trust any economic forecast that is based on the virus since we do not know how long we will have to stay in the current condition, if the virus will recede during the summer, and if it will return this fall/winter. So I would think any forecast would have to state up front that is predicated on certain assumptions.

In my point of view (I'm not an economist and don't pretend to be)...

* Each country will have a different way of approaching 'returning to normal'.
    * That variance in and of itself will affect international trade and travel.
    * The USA will probably very quickly get to "half-normal". Offices will be half-full. Work will be half-capacity.
    * If the virus is not a significant factor, I think this "half-normal" state will last a good 6 months or longer.
    * Trade and supply chains internationally will be very slow to ramp up.
    * Airlines may take 1 year or longer to get back to full speed. Cruise lines may take longer.
    * It will take time for major sports and concerts to attract an audience.
    * Restriction of travel for business and recreational reasons will have a huge ripple effect to all related industries (hotels, restaurants, etc.).
    * Restaurants and bars will also take some additional time to recover.
    * Government assistance will end before many of businesses can ride it out, so many will close for good.
    * People will have less "play money", so this will further impact anything that is not essential spending.

There will also be persisting phobias involving germs and being with people in close quarters. Also don't discount a new "shaming" culture that will long outlast the problem.

* Many will be afraid to be in large groups, or on the middle seat on an airplane.
    * Things we didn't think about before this will come under great scrutiny.
    * Media will exacerbate both these and social media will proliferate it.

But with all this seemingly dire outlook, many positive things can come out of it. We can rethink how we work, how we socialize, how we view healthcare, how we prepare for future 'disasters'. History shows that, long term, humans ultimately come out of things stronger, and that's something to be optimistic about.

Strap yourselves in.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post

* The USA will probably very quickly get to "half-normal". Offices will be half-full. Work will be half-capacity.
    * Restaurants and bars will also take some additional time to recover.
    * Government assistance will end before many of businesses can ride it out, so many will close for good.
    Translation: I'm about to get screwed again, just like when I was unemployed the last time. I guess I better get ready for some serious butt hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave the Brave View Post
    Unless you have nosy neighbors who will rat you out to the Covid cops go ahead.

We have already had to cancel our annual Easter get together due to said nosy neighbors who have already complained about family get togethers.

We do have a large extended family since both my wife and I have 5 sons and my sister in law also has 5 kids (all adults now) plus assorted spouses and grandkids.

DtB
    While it sucks, you really have no choice. Safety first. Otherwise, you could lose a family member.

I am ready to call the authorities the next time my neighbors have a party like they did last weekend. Quite frankly, I don't give a flying fuck what they think. They are putting my family, friends and neighbors at risk with their short-sighted selfishness and utter stupidity. Will it take one of their own family members dying before they get smarter about this?

There's nothing nosy about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    With moderation, we're flattening the curve.
    this got a guffaw from me.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

The video from The Epoch Times was a very interesting video and a very plausible explanation for the origin of the coronavirus.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Banned
    ^^^ You’re kidding... right?

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    While it sucks, you really have no choice. Safety first. Otherwise, you could lose a family member.

I am ready to call the authorities the next time my neighbors have a party like they did last weekend. Quite frankly, I don't give a flying fuck what they think. They are putting my family, friends and neighbors at risk with their short-sighted selfishness and utter stupidity. Will it take one of their own family members dying before they get smarter about this?

There's nothing nosy about it.
    Shoot video of them in the act. Have someone video record you while you call the police on speaker phone.