Page 44 of 235 FirstFirst ... 344041424344454647485494144 ... LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 5872

Thread: COVID-19 Coronavirus Information and Discussion

Some offhand food for thought:
    1. Has anyone reported a cluster developing from an outdoor gathering? Almost every, if not every, group transmission case I’ve heard about has been indoors. Is there even one case that was transmitted out in gods green garden?

2. Here in Japan, 4 students were traveling in Europe just as the virus peaked. After returning to Kyoto, 3 were found to be infected and thereafter passed it onto club/research group members, forming a new cluster. Question: how in the hell did the 4th member not get infected when he was with the others in the same countries, airplanes, and doing the same activities with the same guys every day? Its a seriously good research question, methinks: Why not that guy? Give us all what he’s got!

3. Here’s one that’s come to me gradually: one on one communication styles... Except when drinking, most East Asians do not shout, do not look directly into their interlocutor’s face, will usually avert eyes when responding, often with faces slightly downward or at a 45 degree angle. They generally don’t talk as aggressively nor as positively as Westerners (I’m leaving mainland Chinese/HK out on this one, cuz they do). I’m wondering how much of this indirect communication style might be a factor in transmission...

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy Vengeance View Post
    1. Has anyone reported a cluster developing from an outdoor gathering? Almost every, if not every, group transmission case I’ve heard about has been indoors. Is there even one case that was transmitted out in gods green garden?

2. Here in Japan, 4 students were traveling in Europe just as the virus peaked. After returning to Kyoto, 3 were found to be infected and thereafter passed it onto club/research group members, forming a new cluster. Question: how in the hell did the 4th member not get infected when he was with the others in the same countries, airplanes, and doing the same activities with the same guys every day? Its a seriously good research question, methinks: Why not that guy? Give us all what he’s got!

3. Here’s one that’s come to me gradually: one on one communication styles... Except when drinking, most East Asians do not shout, do not look directly into their interlocutor’s face, will usually avert eyes when responding, often with faces slightly downward or at a 45-degree angle. They generally don’t talk as aggressively nor as positively as Westerners (I’m leaving mainland Chinese/HK out on this one, cuz they do). I’m wondering how much of this indirect communication style might be a factor in transmission...
    Food for thought, all of that.

I still see Koreans (older guys, usually) together in drinking establishments carrying on as they always have. It's usually no more than 3 or 4 guys, though. Perhaps it's just the fact that this is, by Korean standards, a "rural area"... despite that there are nearly 300,000 people in this city.

A trip to the local butcher shop this morning to stock up. They had people waiting in line outside and let them in when there was room. That was the smart thing to do. Most of us were keeping a safe distance and demonstrating some level of solidarity. Unfortunately, it didn't prevent fools from walking right up to people and blabbing away. It didn't prevent to older woman from having a loud and long conversation with one of the workers from two feet away (the same guy who rolled his eyes when I used my own pen to sign my credit card receipt a couple fo weeks ago). It didn't keep the septuagenerian couple from BOTH showing up to shop instead of keeping one of them home to cut the chance of infection by 50%.

People we are so screwed until this country WAKES TF UP. We need our so-called "daily briefing" to dedicate some serious time to telling people to get their shit together. We could be looking at a tragedy of tens of thousands dying instead of hundreds of thousands.

I have zero faith in The US's ability to get through this. Not until a vaccine, at least.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    A trip to the local butcher shop this morning to stock up. They had people waiting in line outside and let them in when there was room. That was the smart thing to do. Most of us were keeping a safe distance and demonstrating some level of solidarity. Unfortunately, it didn't prevent fools from walking right up to people and blabbing away. It didn't prevent to older woman from having a loud and long conversation with one of the workers from two feet away (the same guy who rolled his eyes when I used my own pen to sign my credit card receipt a couple fo weeks ago). It didn't keep the septuagenerian couple from BOTH showing up to shop instead of keeping one of them home to cut the chance of infection by 50%.

People we are so screwed until this country WAKES TF UP. We need our so-called "daily briefing" to dedicate some serious time to telling people to get their shit together. We could be looking at a tragedy of tens of thousands dying instead of hundreds of thousands.

I have zero faith in The US's ability to get through this. Not until a vaccine, at least.
    that's shocking... there's still a such thing as a local butcher shop!?

The last day I worked last week I had a homeowner come outside and demonstratively offer his hand, then smirked when I stuck out my elbow. In hindsight I wished I had stuck out my own hand only to retrieve it at the last second and say, "Sike!"
    I still encountered people who insist it's just the flu. And I know there are small time contractors who are doing jobs that they shouldn't be doing, like fence installations. A subcontractor for Comcast is still calling in locate requests for cable TV installation because "we're a communications company."

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy Vengeance View Post
    Not sure if this would count as fully outdoor or not, but:

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/a...rnd/index.html
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Not sure if this would count as fully outdoor or not, but:

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/a...rnd/index.html
    Well, students at Texas AM were awarded a Darwin Award years ago and now some of these Longhorns might get theirs.

I hereby use my psychic abilities to predict this site will soon need to add an entire R.I.P. sub-forum.

EDIT: After going through this main board, I went to the OT Music and Arts sub-forum, only to find there was already a thread on the subject.
    Last edited by progmatist; 04-03-2020 at 02:44 PM.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    Never heard of that, but thanks for bringing it to my attention. I'll ask my wife about it (she's Korean).
    I looked around more and it looks like something that is sent to people under quarantine by their local government.
    https://imgur.com/gallery/onbzBLS
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

In the US right now, only certain areas of our country are locked down and other areas are still open for business, that kind of arrangement is akin to having a public swimming pool with a peeing section in one corner! 😉

True enough.

In Italy, Coronavirus Takes a Higher Toll on Men

Being male may be a risk factor for illness, just as being older is, experts say.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/20/h...-men-risk.html

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/covid/covid-19-data.page

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    True enough.
    A hard punch to globalism.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Being male may be a risk factor for illness, just as being older is, experts say.
    [/url]
    Or being married.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

The top of my hands are starting to feel like lizard skin from washing them so much.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

They've done phone contact tracing of cellphones of beach goers at Ft. Lauderdale during spring break, tracing their phones back to where they went after they left and correlating it to case of Covid that followed. You can see the gfrowth of viral infections rise as the phone carriers passed each area.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Experts are wary about rushing to make a coronavirus vaccine, warning that even approval in 18 months could be risky

https://www.businessinsider.com/coro...20-4?r=US&IR=T

2 top French doctors said on live TV that coronavirus vaccines should be tested on poor Africans, leaving viewers horrified

https://www.businessinsider.com/coro...age-2020-4?amp

2 top French doctors said on live TV that coronavirus vaccines should be tested on poor Africans, leaving viewers horrified

no words.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Sirius XM is offering a free two weeks for stay-at-home folks. HBO NOW/HBO GO is free this weekend for a number of HBO series (but no dragons).
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

no words.
    Its double isn't it? - The aforementioned 'poor' africans have nothing, no health care, and they are offered a risk/chance, or nothing.
    Burkina Faso has a population around 19 million people - they have 1 respirator in the whole country (they said in the radio today)...

If they had suggested testing it on Texans or Corsicans the ethics would be the same. But the Texans and Corsicans would most probably say no because they have other options. Right now all over the world people are "guinea pigs" on all kinds of drugs that 'might' help on corona (malaria drugs and other kinds of medicin).

I am pretty convinced that if we knew how the chinese do similar things on their own population we would be 'amazed'...

It is grim anyhow.

From our TMI department: how many of you stay-at-homes are wearing sweat pants or pajamas all day. I only put on jeans or pants if I know I'm going out. I put on a pair of jeans today because I know I'm going to go dick around in the garage this morning but after that it's back to free ballin' in sweats.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I'm lucky, my wife and I are retired. We bought a house with an acre of land, so I've kept busy, dug a trench for a retaining wall, will be power washing the house to prep for paint, etc. Sure we miss getting out to eat and such, but I really feel sorry for those in apartments who have to take a risk just going outside. I really haven't spent any more time than usual watching tv or listening to music. I think if I watched tv all day I'd get suicidal!
    I did notice that when exerting myself digging, and having to get up and down a lot, removing roots and such, that I was getting dizzy and near blacking out. I checked my blood pressure and it was 90 over 60. And I've been taking medication for high blood pressure for over a decade. Went to my GP for an ekg and looks like I have a minor blockage. Want to wait till the epidemic fades (a lot) before I travel to a cardiologist. Was told I'd be safer waiting than risking travelling to an area with higher infection rates. So, I'm just pacing myself!

Its double isn't it? - The aforementioned 'poor' africans have nothing, no health care, and they are offered a risk/chance, or nothing.
    Burkina Faso has a population around 19 million people - they have 1 respirator in the whole country (they said in the radio today)...

If they had suggested testing it on Texans or Corsicans the ethics would be the same. But the Texans and Corsicans would most probably say no because they have other options. Right now all over the world people are "guinea pigs" on all kinds of drugs that 'might' help on corona (malaria drugs and other kinds of medicin).

I am pretty convinced that if we knew how the chinese do similar things on their own population we would be 'amazed'...

It is grim anyhow.
    I don't disagree with this at all. If people saw what really goes on in the so-called "Third World," ...

Quote Originally Posted by jglfan View Post
    Went to my GP for an ekg and looks like I have a minor blockage. Want to wait till the epidemic fades (a lot) before I travel to a cardiologist. Was told I'd be safer waiting than risking travelling to an area with higher infection rates. So, I'm just pacing myself!
    Take care of yourself. The lack of restaurants might help with that. But, I, too, miss them.

I really feel bad for restaurants. I saw a commercial last night from what I think was the American Restaurants Association (or, whatever) urging people to help them stay in business by ordering takeout or pickup. I really want to do that, but am in no hurry to order food that's being handled by others. I feel bad about it, but have no choice right now.

It obviously doesn't sound good, and I'm not supporting the views that are attributed to these doctors, but it seems that the way the interview was conducted and edited contributed to this drama. I wouldn't want to be interviewed on a sensitive topic on one of today's information channels, where you can hardly produce any kind of reasonable argument without being interrupted and, later, quoted without context by people with an agenda.
    That being said, the ethical questions raised by the current and upcoming studies need to be taken seriously, even though the pressure to find a cure is high these days.

Take care of yourself. The lack of restaurants might help with that. But, I, too, miss them.

I stopped eating out about 3-4 years ago. I cook all my meals and prepare my lunch for the work week. I miss the sports bars but that's the least of my concerns. I honestly couldn't care less about sports right now. We're in for a long haul. I don't care if NBA, MLB, and NFL are completely shut down until next year. I really feel bad for the regular joe's and jane's who've lost their employment. The hell with these athletes.
    E-A-T