Page 35 of 235 FirstFirst ... 253132333435363738394585135 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 Coronavirus Information and Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    I had the trifecta too. Back then if a kid in the street had chicken pox, parents would hold a play party and ensure they all caught it. I had a very mild dose, but it was enough for immunity. 20 years ago my daughter caught it, she was only about 3 and I counted over 400 spots, it was a horrible time for her, but once passed she was perfectly fine.

I saw a news article recently about the rise of mumps in university students, even inoculated kids were coming down with it, and it is quite awful in adults.
    I think there is some sense in BoJo The Clown's collective immunity policy, but that goes for kids only, whose immunity system is daily challenged and constantly fighting aggressors. But it's astoundingly stupid for grown-ups whose immunity-constructing mechanisms are not nearly as performant anymore.

Glad he changed his mind, but those two weeks delay could be very costly in terms of lives.

BTW, the Dutch have not changed their minds (yet), which is why I chose to confine home in the Be part of Benelux, not the Ne part (my brother being positive in the Lux part).
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Notes from Japan...

I get a mixed feeling here.

The good:
    The health system is excellent and orderly (not to mention that we have universal insurance, which includes covid 19 testing).
    People have a history of being cooperative and disciplined during disasters and troubles. Decision making can sometimes be slow but once one is made, everybody works feverishly to do the job. Its not a ‘the sky is falling!’ culture. The sky already fell twice, in 1945.
    People wear masks here more than in probably any other country on earth — and yes, they do help.
    People do not touch their faces or public fixtures much here at the best of times. It’s a pretty germaphobic country. This is something a Japanese people often remark on regarding foreigners and it is having a huge positive impact methinks. Public hygiene in general is advanced.
    The Japanese tend to keep a physical public distance more than those in most Asian countries.

The bad:
    No matter how much personal space one might want to take, it’s still relatively crowded. Listening to some N. American posters worry about people being in the same shopping aisle is unthinkable here. Of course there are!
    A lot of people depend on the very good public transportation system. It’s running at about 50% or so now but that’s still more than where most of you come from.
    People not doing essential jobs are still going to work because of the ‘show up for the team’ working culture. I paid a bill at the waterworks today and every office desk had a full staff pounding away on the computers. Asses waiting to be bitten.
    In N. America you can often isolate yourself in a nice, suburban ranch house but in much of Asia people live in small apartments. Physically and psychologically the cost of isolating in such cramped quarters might be greater than that of the virus itself.
    The country has been a little lax in closing down the entry points although this is mitigated somewhat by being an island. But then again, Iceland...

A bit of both:
    Nobody here seems surprised or disappointed at the postponement of the Olympics. ‘‘Twas expected for a while.
    There’s nothing like a lockdown going on here yet. Public events have been cancelled and gyms etc are shut, but Bars and restaurants are all open, just with fewer patrons than normal. It’s actually rather pleasant. We’ll see how well that turns out.
    Last edited by Teddy Vengeance; 03-26-2020 at 09:45 AM.

A lesson

Hong Kong appeared to have the coronavirus under control, then it let its guard down

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/23/a...hnk/index.html

^^ I simply don't understand the logic of "going back to normal" when the virus is still out there in large numbers, even if the rates are statistically dropping.

This is illustrative of the short-sightedness, lack of patience and fucked up priorities in our society. The US is the worst offender and we need to stick with this and listen to the doctors and scientists, not self-serving assholes. This will not blow over in a few weeks. There will be subsequent waves. Get used to it now. We can't go back.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    1. Let’s stay on topic.

2. Religion/Anti-religion rants will be removed.

3. For Jeebus’ sake, don’t post hyper-partisan sources or videos.
    I confess: ronmac did it, and I hereby apologize on his behalf.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    I confess: ronmac did it, and I hereby apologize on his behalf.
    Haha, funny. Of course, I did none of that. But, if you want me to...
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

As coronavirus outbreak reaches South America, indigenous people go into lockdown

https://globalnews.ca/news/6719349/c...nous-lockdown/

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Haha, funny. Of course, I did none of that. But, if you want me to...
    The problem is I always want you to...

Anyway, we just had a huge bi-partisan bill passed in US Congress that will be of some help. So let's be glad for a moment that our government is still functioning at some level. Hope springs eternal.
    Last edited by Buddhabreath; 03-26-2020 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I think there is some sense in BoJo The Clown's collective immunity policy, but that goes for kids only, whose immunity system is daily challenged and constantly fighting aggressors. But it's astoundingly stupid for grown-ups whose immunity-constructing mechanisms are not nearly as performant anymore.

Glad he changed his mind, but those two weeks delay could be very costly in terms of lives.

BTW, the Dutch have not changed their minds (yet), which is why I chose to confine home in the Be part of Benelux, not the Ne part (my brother being positive in the Lux part).
    Boris and his band of fools made a quick volte face, but the downplayed messaging of those first weeks led to a huge level of complacency in the population. It is only since Tuesday and the lockdown that this has been taken more seriously. How this impacts the numbers we will see, but it sure isn’t going to be positive.

Stay safe in Be!

Although it's not a surprise, I am still appalled by conspiracy theories and the success they have in such circumstances. These days that phenomenon is almost as depressing for me as the coronavirus crisis itself. For instance, the doctor who praises Hydroxychloroquine has become an icon for extremists and conspiracy theorists here in France and elsewhere in the world. Regardless of the fact that he's right or not (I don't know), that creates an unhealthy mental atmosphere that reinforces the current problems.

Nonetheless I will focus on the bright side - there are many examples of altruistic behaviours and balanced thinking these days too.
    And this thread is an example of how to maintain an overall reasonable approach in spite of the strong emotions IMHO.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    So glad I have an MMJ card since MA has curtailed recreational sales!

Screw everything and everyone in public life coming out in front of the media cameras and putting out decrees and issusing stay at home orders.
    You need to hold an emergency meeting NOW!!! and seriously, get a grip on the Toilet Paper shortage epidemic.
    I have tried every store at different times of the day, different times of the week and the shelves are always effin empty. You can't even buy paper plates, anything with the word "paper" in it is gone!
    Yes, they have a 1 pkg limit, but they're gone instantly.
    I ordered some on Amazon and supposedly my order will arrive in 3 weeks April 18-20, but if it follows their same routine for music, I could get a notice on April 17th saying it's delayed.
    Just found some on ebay and sucked it up and ordered one pkg of MEGA MEGA GIANT HUMONGOUS LARGER THAN A SMALL PLANET toilet paper with expedited shipping for April 1st(hope it's not a joke).

And while I'm on the subject, getting groceries isn't any easier either. I have a Publix and a Walmart across from each other and the shelves are always empty, even if I change the time of my trip.

One thing I've noticed, there is no shortage of alcohol..reminds me how even in the bleakest decades in Soviet Russia, the populace was always able to get a bottle of vodka to drown their sorrows in.
    The weekend is coming and I know one thing, I might not have toilet paper and plan my meals around munchies, but I will have plenty of beer to forget about these things...Ugh!!
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Banned
    ^^^ yes liquor stores are actually being designated as essential businesses so there you go. I wonder if they're applying that to weed shops where applicable. If not it would seem like a double standard.

I know everyone is going to jump down my throat, but seriously - consider buying an inexpensive bidet from Amazon or Wayfair or wherever, then you'll be cleaner and won't need any toilet paper. OK I promise, no more potty talk from me.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

^^^ yes liquor stores are actually being designated as essential businesses so there you go.
    The reason why is because, if they shut down the sources of alcohol, addicts will be showing up at the emergency rooms. It sounds absurd, but that is the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    So glad I have an MMJ card since MA has curtailed recreational sales!
    I don't have a card, but I do have a stash. In fact...

^^^ yes liquor stores are actually being designated as essential businesses so there you go. I wonder if they're applying that to weed shops where applicable. If not it would seem like a double standard.

I know everyone is going to jump down my throat, but seriously - consider buying an inexpensive bidet from Amazon or Wayfair or wherever, then you'll be cleaner and won't need any toilet paper. OK I promise, no more potty talk from me.
    I'm all for bidets, never tried one but makes sense...unfortunately, my wife doesn't want one, happy wife, happy life! She lets me buy gear for my studio, so I can't complain.

Governments have known for a long time(unless they are run by spiritual leaders), narcotics and alcohol which can dull the pain are essential during times of crisis.
    The Chinese knew that oh so well during the early decades of the 20th century when they looked the other way and opium dens flourished.
    Keep the populace calm and they won't complain.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    ... happy wife, happy life!
    < end of argument >

Talked to a friend who's a nurse at Desert Springs hospital. I didn't pry too much but she said it has been crazy with lots of people wanting to get tested. I specifically asked how many she thought were just freaking out versus those who seemed to be sick and she said about 50/50.

For what that's worth. Seems about par for the course right now.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

The reason why is because, if they shut down the sources of alcohol, addicts will be showing up at the emergency rooms. It sounds absurd, but that is the truth.
    The states heavily tax liquor stores. They have to stay open.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Banned
    As I've mentioned, my wife works at a hospital and reports that there is still a severe shortage of tests with only hospitalized and symptomatic high-risk patients being administered tests. Hospitals that have tests are now reporting a shortage of swabs and transport media. So nobody really knows the extent of this damn thing yet, at least in the US.

Banned
    I also have a feeling that domestic violence would rise as well if the devil's brew were not available...

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post

I saw a news article recently about the rise of mumps in university students, even inoculated kids were coming down with it, and it is quite awful in adults.
    A couple of my students caught this iteration of the mumps...as did my younger daughter. All had been innoculated with the MMR. The thing is, without the vaccine, the impact of the infection would have been much, much, worse.

My daughter lost all sense of smell, 10 days ago. ENT consultants here are speculating as to whether this phenomenon, which is currently relatively widespread, might be a sign of Covid infection in otherwise asymptomatic young people.
    Last edited by per anporth; 03-26-2020 at 04:35 PM.

I snapped this pic while driving by the local distillery. I remarked that it was a sign of how businesses like distilleries were switching gears to making "essential" products like hand sanitizer. My partner Marcia quipped, "What makes you think they're all lining up for hand sanitizer?"

HDC-line.jpg
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    I snapped this pic while driving by the local distillery. I remarked that it was a sign of how businesses like distilleries were switching gears to making "essential" products like hand sanitizer. My partner Marcia quipped, "What makes you think they're all lining up for hand sanitizer?"

HDC-line.jpg
    One thing the pic does show is how folks are respecting the 6ft distance suggestion.
    It also suggests a great promotion waiting to be used.."buy a gallon of liquor and get a 8oz bottle of hand sanitizer for free". lol