Page 22 of 235 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272122 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 Coronavirus Information and Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Massive Bangladesh coronavirus prayer gathering sparks outcry

https://www.afp.com/en/news/3954/mas...ry-doc-1pz9ny2
    Since they are evidently incapable of using contraception, consider this an alternative.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    My son is as well. He lives and breathes XC (Hinsdale Central HS in suburban Chicago)- and this is hurting him- he normally runs 3500 miles per year, but of course not now and not during the time his daughter was so ill. But he ran for York HS... and rojo and wejo are hideous human beings. The could do something to clean up their site but monetizing it is all that matters to them. I loath them!
    Wow, a York alumnus. Cool. I'll turn 50 next year, and still run about 2000 miles a year despite the intermittent injuries (trying to keep up with the fast boys every day!) Oddly enough, York HS and our HS (Big Bear) are two of only a handful of the 20,000 high schools in the USA to have ever had 3 boys break 9 min for 3200m.

Here's to the kids we love using their passion to help them get thru this difficult time.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar

Here in Texas, there has been an outcry over many of the megachurches refusing to cancel their services- because, well, God, y'know, will protect...

https://www.fox4news.com/news/worshi...virus-concerns
    People are idiots
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

And I thought we were in trouble relying on Millennials.

Here in Texas, there has been an outcry over many of the megachurches refusing to cancel their services- because, well, God, y'know, will protect...

Darwin Awards material. Kinda ironic, no?

California has closed.

Our church is streaming services online so people can stay home and watch. I would think those others would do the same, seeing as that article is 7 days old and also Gov. Abbott announced the “10 person” rule earlier.

my opinion (and I believe it is backed up in Scripture) is that men should not be making a living off the flock.
    These churches that are defying the quarantine and govt recs are only doing it to keep lining their pockets. It is a disgrace to faith.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    my opinion (and I believe it is backed up in Scripture) is that men should not be making a living off the flock.
    These churches that are defying the quarantine and govt recs are only doing it to keep lining their pockets. It is a disgrace to faith.
    Amen brother.

Banned
    Thanks for the good news post Sean. Let’s hope an effective treatment or vaccine is closer than we (or at least I) think. The Italians just showed us (your second link) how to stop this in its tracks. Massive testing! That means everyone since many remain asymptomatic. I hope our leaders wake up FFS.

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Daughter is an RN in a primary care setting. I worry about all of us.
    My middle daughter is finishing her last semester of a master's nursing program, she will be doing clinical at Hopkins where they will be having virus patients there. My middle daughter does MRI's at two other hospitals where virus patients are starting to show up. I think the oldest might be safe at work being a veterinary doctor.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

German virologist perspective: very interesting specially when we know that 11.5% of yearly deaths are caused by respiratory deceases, that's 6 million a year, since the outbreak, let's say November if we believe the China virus was not reported timely, it's about 10 thousand, are we destroying the world due to collective madness?

(Spanish flu, Marburg virus, Middle East respiratory syndrome MERS.. and some more so spare me that racist bs)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_AyuhbnPOI

The power of exponentials

Here’s a simple way to explain the exponential threat we face —: “The virus is like a loan shark who charges 25 percent a day interest. We borrowed $1 (the first coronavirus to appear here). We then fiddled for 40 days. Now we owe $7,500. If we wait three more weeks to pay, we’ll owe almost $1 million.”

OR

There is, another exponential that may end up saving us: Moore’s Law, which was coined by Intel co-founder Gordon Moore in 1965 and posited that the speed and processing power of computers would double every two years, Intel, to explain the power of Moore’s Law to make all kinds of things better, smarter, faster, had its engineers take a 1971 Volkswagen Beetle and try to calculate what that car would be like today if it had improved at the same exponential rate that microchips had improved since 1971. Intel’s engineers’ best guess was that that Volkswagen Beetle today would go about 300,000 miles per hour, it would get two million miles per gallon and it would cost 4 cents.

York HS and our HS (Big Bear) are two of only a handful of the 20,000 high schools in the USA to have ever had 3 boys break 9 min for 3200m.
    Big Bear? Ryan Hall! Class guy, and he and Sarah live in Flagstaff, where my sister-in-law is head of the downtown business district. My kids ran for Joe Newton- the man, the legend, and a friend (died last year at 88), during the time of Marius Bakken (8.57), and Don Sage (8.42 3200, 4.00 mile)- Sage was 2 years behind them. Add in Ron Craker, Jim White and a few others...

Watch this, beginning at 39.32 (I was there):

Back to Covid-19. So, here is what happened yesterday to me personally. After 6 days inside and hard work to help our faculty get online, my wife suggested we take a walk- which we did, carefully avoiding people outside. When we got back, because we live in apartment with controlled access, we had to take the elevator up a floor. As the door closed, someone scooted in- a woman. We told her not to be offended if we stood away from her- and in a quick chat found out she had returned by plane from New Zealand 5 days earlier. As fast as that, that's how things can go bad. Now I cannot go visit my kids for at least 2 weeks. I am now worrying about that simple chance meeting that lasted only 15 seconds.

Flightwave- Jeffress is still pushing back. But that's Jeffress. My synagogue (Temple Emanu-El) is streaming its service now.

John Doe,, the WHO has strongly stated that viruses not be named for the initial site of emergence, specifically to avoid the known problems this creates. At this point, people who use that term are doing so solely to be provocative or dismissive, or, yes, racist.
    Last edited by Dana5140; 03-20-2020 at 06:11 AM.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I've continued to work during this crisis given that my job is linked with the infrastructure and that job takes me all over the upper pacific northwest. I'm a bit perturbed to report many people have been roundly ignoring the social distancing protocol. It's been sunny and relatively warm for the first time in months and I have seen crowds of people at parks, the lake and on trails. And there is resentment among college age kids here that their lives have been disrupted for something that "doesn't affect us". They have a nickname for CV19 - 'boomer remover'.

Back to Covid-19. So, here is what happened yesterday to me personally. After 6 days inside and hard work to help our faculty get online, my wife suggested we take a walk- which we did, carefully avoiding people outside. When we got back, because we live in apartment with controlled access, we had to take the elevator up a floor. As the door closed, someone scooted in- a woman. We told her not to be offended if we stood away from her- and in a quick chat found out she had returned by plane from New Zealand 5 days earlier. As fast as that, that's how things can go bad. Now I cannot go visit my kids for at least 2 weeks. I am now worrying about that simple chance meeting that lasted only 15 seconds.
    In the UK we only have to isolate is we have a persistent cough or fever, this would mean a 7 day stint for the person with the cough, but 14 days for household members to allow for the virus to show, and get past the infectious phase.

I have no confidence the UK is correct here, and our trait of holding on to personal freedoms means many people are not all taking these warnings to heart. Our leaders do not want to appear draconian or controlling, and are giving out very mixed messages.

Big Bear? Ryan Hall! Class guy, and he and Sarah live in Flagstaff, where my sister-in-law is head of the downtown business district. My kids ran for Joe Newton- the man, the legend, and a friend (died last year at 88), during the time of Marius Bakken (8.57), and Don Sage (8.42 3200, 4.00 mile)- Sage was 2 years behind them. Add in Ron Craker, Jim White and a few others...

New Zealand is still behind Europe and USA etc. - not so many infected. You are most probably safe.
    btw Last week a stupid Dane flew to NZ with the virus, but was caught in the airport.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ting-increases

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    . And there is resentment among college age kids here that their lives have been disrupted for something that "doesn't affect us". They have a nickname for CV19 - 'boomer remover'.
    That is one of the most callous and insensitive things to make a joke about. Most of those who succumb to the virus are someone's parent, grandparent or great grandparent to these kids.

I really hope it's not indicative of the attitude of a whole generation, if so that's pretty damn sad.

And let me comment about the video that's gone viral of mass crowds on the beaches of Florida. Many if not all, are tourists from other states or college kids here on spring break.
    One college kid was interviewed and commented he didn't care because it was spring break and he was going to have a good time regardless. And I think that's pretty much been the overall attitude of college kids down here on break. And the adult tourists haven't been much better.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

How did Sage explode like that (at 47:51 point) in video) with 1 lap to go in that 2-mile?! Incredible.

In California the State Meet has no divisions, just the very best of the best. My coaching high point was five years ago when I had a boy win the state title, running 8:47.3 for the same event. I love that race.

yesstiles- if you continue to watch the video out to the 1600 (toward the end), he does it again, winning the 1600 in 4.08. 2 weeks later he ran 4.00.39 for the mile, at the time 5th fastest HS mile ever (Well, then Alan Webb came along). Sage and Tim Keller are equal with 400 to go and Sage won by 15 seconds and Keller still ran 8.56!

Who was your runner? Arcadia always has tons of sub-9 32s. 5 years ago... Temeculah? Or Robert Brandt? I cannot remember...

I am so sick of people who do not take this seriously. Hard to read the news with idiots proclaiming it all a plot to bring down Trump, who is doing fine on his own in this regard. They put my granddaughter at higher risk.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    And let me comment about the video that's gone viral of mass crowds on the beaches of Florida. Many if not all, are tourists from other states or college kids here on spring break.
    One college kid was interviewed and commented he didn't care because it was spring break and he was going to have a good time regardless. And I think that's pretty much been the overall attitude of college kids down here on break. And the adult tourists haven't been much better.
    Another failure of parenting. Too many people simply don't realize that "parent" is also a verb.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

yesstiles- if you continue to watch the video out to the 1600 (toward the end), he does it again, winning the 1600 in 4.08. 2 weeks later he ran 4.00.39 for the mile, at the time 5th fastest HS mile ever (Well, then Alan Webb came along). Sage and Tim Keller are equal with 400 to go and Sage won by 15 seconds and Keller still ran 8.56!

Who was your runner? Arcadia always has tons of sub-9 32s. 5 years ago... Temeculah? Or Robert Brandt? I cannot remember...
    Caleb Webb. He sat on Brandt for seven laps, then took off and beat him by 5 seconds. Also got 3rd at NXN.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I think the oldest might be safe at work being a veterinary doctor.
    Not if someone brings in their pet bat.

Quote Originally Posted by John Doe View Post
    German virologist perspective: very interesting specially when we know that 11.5% of yearly deaths are caused by respiratory deceases, that's 6 million a year, since the outbreak, let's say November if we believe the China virus was not reported timely, it's about 10 thousand, are we destroying the world due to collective madness?

(Spanish flu, Marburg virus, Middle East respiratory syndrome MERS.. and some more so spare me that racist bs)
    John Doe,, the WHO has strongly stated that viruses not be named for the initial site of emergence, specifically to avoid the known problems this creates. At this point, people who use that term are doing so solely to be provocative or dismissive, or, yes, racist.
    You said it better than I could have.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.