Page 18 of 235 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868118 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 Coronavirus Information and Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Tough news from British research team:

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imp...16-03-2020.pdf
    Same team that predicted millions of Ebola deaths in 2014...
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

Tough news from British research team:

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imp...16-03-2020.pdf
    That's not really "news" though, that's using a modelling system to try to predict something that you can't predict. Is it possible? Sure. But just one of many possibilities.

Let's not get too fixated on numbers and statistics.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Yes media (and politicians) tend to just look for that "statistically 1% probability" worst case scenarios.
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

Quote Originally Posted by hFx View Post
    Yes media (and politicians) tend to just look for that "statistically 1% probability" worst case scenarios.
    Yeah, unfortunately... I've seen quite a few news outlets chasing the numbers, but without widespread testing it's really not very informative (or accurate). We just need more data and until we have it, there's not much point in conjecture.

I think we're going to see just how many of the things we love (restaurants, shops, artists and related aspects of the fine arts) were barely staying in the black all this time.

My inbox is seeing a steady stream of GoFundMe requests and similar pleas for any/all aid to help artists and businesses stay afloat. It breaks my heart because I help where I can/when I can, but I can't help all of them, and I doubt it will be enough.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    As a reminder, you can just hit the moderate button to alert us of posts with misinformation. We aren't going to research every post in this thread, so I ask that you all click moderate when it's necessary (and not just because you don't like what someone is saying).

Stay safe!
    The problem, as I see it, is that how are we to sort out the truth from the mis/disinformation?

In Denmark quite a few restaurants now try to make the food as take away meals - you phone, they make it, and you pay with your mobile.
    They might just about survive that way untill better times.
    They interviewed one restaurant owner who is doing that. He says his business is off 95%.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    One of my son’s friends already might have to move because his family can’t afford to stay. Both his parents do work that’s affected.

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Where I live, in Victoria, BC, many services are closed, including libraries, rec centres. It was announced today by the provincial gov't that schools will be closed "until further notice". No gatherings of greater than 50 people. Strong emphasis on social distancing and staying home if you can.

It's all so surreal! There are lots of predictions out there, but no one can really know how this will play out. I'm fortunate that I've worked mostly from home for over 10 years, and can continue to do so.

For now, I will be cautious and heed the recommendations from authorities, while holding on with a tight grip to the hope the curve will be lowered, casualties on the lesser side, and a return to pre-pandemic life sooner than later.

Big thanks to the Mods for starting and maintaining this thread.

Lucky Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Hopefully no more poop talk..
    Regarding the t.p. hoarding, it seems to me proof that Americans give a shit.

But only about themselves.
    Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.

Ember
    RosFest is cancelled (not postponed).

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    the most meaningful and cherished aspect of our experience was that we were with our baby as she died. We held her, sang to her, told her we loved her and kissed her as much as we could. Her sisters were there to see her one last time. We were surrounded by family. It is a moment etched into my soul.
    I am in tears
    I could never imagine the level of pain that must be
    Last edited by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER; 03-18-2020 at 02:18 AM.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

No more Las Vegas. It's closed for business. Everything except gas stations and supermarkets but that seems futile as they are empty of all goods.

I can't wait for the riots.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

if everyone cooperates and self-quarantines, this will end without any riots

please
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I think we're going to see just how many of the things we love (restaurants, shops, artists and related aspects of the fine arts) were barely staying in the black all this time.

My inbox is seeing a steady stream of GoFundMe requests and similar pleas for any/all aid to help artists and businesses stay afloat. It breaks my heart because I help where I can/when I can, but I can't help all of them, and I doubt it will be enough.
    Those with first mover advantage did ok, but with dwindling income for many, there’s only so much you can do to help. On a personal note, my eldest daughter is about to lose her contract (she works in an airport that is all but devoid of traffic), I have another doing an unpaid internship as part of her degree, two others who are back from Uni with their third teaching term cancelled so they will probably be here at least until September, and a fifth who is still going to school with A Levels ahead, but we fear that will be terminated soon.

I work as a Portfolio CFO on start ups and projects. My main contract is with a FinTech who have found a 30% reduction in volumes already, so of course that will lead to cuts. I have two other development prospects I have been working (unpaid) on, one in movies and one in restaurants, and unsurprisingly both have been put on ice due to uncertainty. So I’m looking to reduce all unnecessary expenditure, so that I can help support all of the family as much as possible. My fear is that this we will not get the economy kickstarted for the rest of the year, at least. I hope I’m wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    That's not really "news" though, that's using a modelling system to try to predict something that you can't predict. Is it possible? Sure. But just one of many possibilities.

https://medium.com/@Jason_Scott_Warn...c-2b0145881993

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Very true.

I think for some businesses, the recovery may be very long, if not unrecoverable. Even if many of these businesses and individuals receive some sort of financial compensation, much of what they do will fall under "discretionary spending". And if the majority of the U.S. population (and other countries as well) is going to be more conservative financially for a while, people will travel less, buy less extravagant and large ticket items, eat out less, etc.

My wife works as a paralegal in a family law firm. This means that the people that keep the firm running are individuals. There will definitely be a hit here like during the 2008 recession. Not only will several of their clients be late on their bills, but typically during poor financial times, families typically delay legal work like wills, divorces, etc.

And while it sounds a little cold, these times DO provide a moment of reflection and re-evaluation on what's important and what's not. We are better off than some, but I will be holding off on most of my discretionary spending for a while (and trying to get refunded for my travel planned in April in the process).
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave the Brave View Post
    The problem, as I see it, is that how are we to sort out the truth from the mis/disinformation?
    Collectively, you all are doing a pretty good job so far.

I should have stated myself differently and focused less on "misinformation" specifically and more on just letting you know that you can click on the moderate button to alert us when needed.

The banks must start helping their clients/users.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I agree about keeping politics out of it, except for the fact Rush is an entertainer, and while there are many things we can question our politicians' motives, to consider it a hoax or promote it as such is simply irresponsible.
    While I do not want to get political either, the fundamental issue is that "entertainers" like Rush have a huge audience, and a huge cross-section of that audience believes what he says.

And honestly, Rush's influence is minor compared to the average American's willingness to proliferate hyper-partisan blogs, memes, opinions, articles, and "news" organizations in their news feeds, which leads to brainwashing and conditioning - not to mention how much of it is inaccurate or downright false information.

And to take it out of politics, I'll give you an example.

I am a whisky collector/enthusiast and have joined 3 groups on Facebook. Two of these groups are pretty active, so my news feed is often cluttered with people posting their bottles, etc. And while I consider myself pretty independently minded, it's hard to ignore the FOMO to either go out and buy something (or drink something). It's essentially the opposite of "out of sight, out of mind".

So I can only imagine how a news feed full of "partisan reinforcement" has put us where we are today as a society.

The banks must start helping their clients/users.
    fat chance of that happening

When the Gv'ts bailed them out following the subprime crisis, a lot of them didn't repay the help and ended up laying off hundreds of employees in the ensuing years, despite making loads of dough.

======================

One of the things the owners could do to save the commerces that are renting their space is letting go of one or two months' rent and have the loss declare in their income tax of this year.
    After all, it's their own interest to keep their existing tenants, instead of having to find a (im)possible new one after the disaster striked

In Denmark quite a few restaurants now try to make the food as take away meals - you phone, they make it, and you pay with your mobile.
    They might just about survive that way untill better times.
    Yup, some of them are also trying that in Brissels, but the clients are not really allowed inside the premises
    maybe also install a couple of chairs (with a good distances from each other) on the sidewalk to have the clients wait for their order
    Last edited by Trane; 03-18-2020 at 07:20 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

FYI - My comments below are intended to be about my perception on human behavior, not politics. But if it's inappropriate, I'm happy to edit.

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    I based my observation on people in the grocery store, the gym, my own children who are 29-34 and the younger people I work with.

I am in my early 60's.

Not trying to be political but the older people at the gym and grocery store have been railing about the "hoax" and "this is America, we are free"

Maybe they have an agenda, maybe they are selfish, I don't know. This was not a scientific survey.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    ^^ Or maybe they're just blithering idiots who have been conned into not thinking for themselves.
    Name calling aside, I am a firm believer in this. See my post above.

In one of the aforementioned whisky groups on FB, there is a strong contingency that loves to post pics of their guns with their bourbon. Unfortunately they are fairly stereotypical if you can imagine. Usually it's all in good fun in spite of their beliefs. However, it gets a little less funny when some of these people make references to being "locked and loaded" to deal with this crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I will say after decades of living on this planet, I've come to question just about everything that comes out of gov't and the news media.
    It's always healthy to be skeptical. I tend to look at things "in totality". One information source (even the more credible ones) is not enough. One should review several credible sources for news and make their judgment based on the totality of information.

But, in the end, our government and our established media is all we have. The alternatives tend to be focused on partisan reinforcement and/or escapism rather than responsible news and information.

It's important to remember how we got here, however. Consider that we are now a full generation in where, collectively, we have forced people in their corners by constantly seeding mistrust in institutions such as government, schools, media, and scientists on one hand. And we have also created a hyper-concern about our identities, born out of political correctness, that has had the unintended consequences of pitting people against each other based on race, gender/orientation, class, political affiliation, and more.

Add social media/internet message boards to the mix and you have a blend of paranoid people who have been taught there are no facts and to distrust institutions, and holier-than-thou keyboard warriors whose chastise and beat down anyone who isn't 100% pure.

So is it any wonder that your average person has retreated to "safe spaces", where they can be surrounded by like-minded individuals?

Starting to see the first signs of the other likely challenge: isolation anxiety.

Not for me...I'm a prog keyboardist, motherfuckers. I was born for this.

But some of my coworkers are starting to express some serious anxiety. One gentleman is in the middle of a divorce and this has happened, putting him in a force solitude for the first time in decades. He isn't processing it well, and I'm not shocked.

Working with my company's HR to try and see if there's some sort of outlet we can create for folks like this. But, I seriously doubt he's an isolated case (excuse the pun).
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    And honestly, Rush's influence is minor compared to ...
    Don't underestimate that. He has 20 million listeners and just got "validated" (in their minds) with the Presidential Medal of Freedom.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"