Thread: COVID-19 Coronavirus Information and Discussion

74 up here. It would be awfully cold in the Canadian winter, if the house was at 68.

neil

So heres something interesting; I was eligable for the vacine on 2-15. And was lucky enough to score an apointment for the 15th due to a cancelation and a well timed call to the hotline. I recieved the first dose at Jones Beach , a large NY State run vaccination center. Yesterday the news reported all doses administered on the 15th at Jones Beach are ineffective due to improper temperature storage. I'm now in a limbo where I cant make another appointment and have to wait for the state authorities to assign me another time slot. It seems all of America's stupid has rallied around every facet of this pandemic , from prevention and containment to treatment. For fuck's sake !!

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Do I miss seeing some of the people that I like and get along with at work? Sometimes, but the positives are just so outweighing the negatives for me. "Trapped from home" is an interesting expression. Everyone is different, of course, and our individual tastes, personalities and preferences, play a big role in all of this.

neil
    This is where I'm at. I genuinely like all of my co-workers, and did enjoy socializing with them, but we're still able to chat from time to time via MS Teams.

Regarding "trapped from home," I imagine that once the world starts opening up again, with restaurants open, theaters, gyms, concert venues, etc. that those of us who enjoy social interaction will find our outlets again.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

So everyone in here was able to work though? That's a good thing.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I have a freindship with one of my colleagues. We use MS Teams to communicate. I spend 5 minutes catching up on social issues then we turn to work. I do miss the informal contact at work but you can still communicate. We had a Christmas party on Zoom for 90 minutes where we played online games and just relaxed. It worked fine.
    So here is the other side of the coin from before I retired. Back about this time last year was when my company started enforcing all the COVID protocols. At that time, they started forcing about 60% of the plant to work from home. Of course, for those of us who worked in the production end of things, that was impossible. This is not my personal view, but what happened over the course of the year was a growing resentment among many of the workers who had to come into the plant every day against those that were working from home. The people coming into the plant having to drive through snow, traffic, and risking their lives against exposure began to argue that they should get paid a bonus for coming into work over those who were working from home. I am not advocating one way or the other, but attendance issues among those having to report to the plant became a big issue over the course of the year. When I retired in December this was still a problem and the pay issue was still raging among those colleagues reporting to the plant who felt that they should get paid a bonus wage over those working at home.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    So here is the other side of the coin from before I retired. Back about this time last year was when my company started enforcing all the COVID protocols. At that time, they started forcing about 60% of the plant to work from home. Of course, for those of us who worked in the production end of things, that was impossible. This is not my personal view, but what happened over the course of the year was a growing resentment among many of the workers who had to come into the plant every day against those that were working from home. The people coming into the plant having to drive through snow, traffic, and risking their lives against exposure began to argue that they should get paid a bonus for coming into work over those who were working from home. I am not advocating one way or the other, but attendance issues among those having to report to the plant became a big issue over the course of the year. When I retired in December this was still a problem and the pay issue was still raging among those colleagues reporting to the plant who felt that they should get paid a bonus wage over those working at home.
    I think that those working in a plant or similar situation, during a pandemic, should be getting hazard pay. For all of the reasons that Steve states above. Every "essential worker" should be getting some kind of bump for putting themselves at risk for their employer.

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be how the world works.....
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I was registering on Rite-Aids website today to get vaccine and it gave me a time and date, I put all my information in, then told me spot was filled.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I think that those working in a plant or similar situation, during a pandemic, should be getting hazard pay. For all of the reasons that Steve states above. Every "essential worker" should be getting some kind of bump for putting themselves at risk for their employer.

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be how the world works.....
    I agree, but things did not work out that way. I will say that the company did pay a 1-time bonus for essential workers coming into the plant back in the Spring which was a very cool thing to do. But a lot of the hourly folks felt like it should have been an ongoing hazard pay type situation for as long as the pandemic lasted. At this point nothing like that has happened. Of course, by now pretty much everyone at the plant has had both doses of the vaccine, so in theory they should all now be immune. I don’t know how many are currently still working from home.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Sublease a possibility? We might see commercial office space getting rezoned and turned into living conditions.
    That is certainly a plausible outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    This is true only for jobs that somehow require, or can be enhanced by, camaraderie and in-person interaction. My department doesn't really have meetings anyways, so no loss there. And I've found it very easy to concentrate on work at home. This is mostly due to the nature of my job-live television-as it often requires focus and attention.
    I'm sure. I'm in the related field of video production, where I'm dealing with creatives and always struggling to get their focus and attention.

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    In my area, apartment buildings have been going up like crazy at premium rents ( not SF, NYC rates, but high ).
    There is also a lot of empty ( vacant for several years ) and under leased commercial property.
    Unless the commercial property was put back on the market as affordable residential rentals it would just depress the existing ( and under construction ) apartment stock.
    We have an impending Amazon campus with lots of "high paying jobs" which has stoked the real estate market in spite of the pandemic.
    Indeed. the DC area is pretty well insulated to economic woes it seems. Mark, where are you in NOVA? I'm happy to be out west of Chantilly/South Riding instead of inside the beltway.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I'm curious why you think that. I see no reason why they should be paid less. It's not like an employer ever took into consideration the money it costs for an employee to commute when determining their salary. The employee would be using additional expenses, too, like utilities. In fact, the employer's liabilities would be lower, so you could argue the employees should make more money. Of course, we know better than to expect an employer to pass along any savings.
    Indeed. Well I was stating that I could see it happening, but framed as an incentive to be at the office. Around the DC area, you do tend to get paid more if you take a job in the city vs. the beltway vs. the suburbs because, collectively, it's pricey to travel in day in and day out.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    This is where I'm at. I genuinely like all of my co-workers, and did enjoy socializing with them, but we're still able to chat from time to time via MS Teams.

Regarding "trapped from home," I imagine that once the world starts opening up again, with restaurants open, theaters, gyms, concert venues, etc. that those of us who enjoy social interaction will find our outlets again.
    With "trapped from home", I joke it's a little like house arrest or solitary where we end up pretty much in the house 23 hours out of the day and usually spend an hour outside walking and stuff. Then once a week a trip to groceries or errands.

And last year in the Summer and early Fall when things started to pick up, I found myself working at my workstation from like 7am-6pm almost non-stop. I had to get very disciplined to get myself to a more normal work schedule.

But it's something more unique to the pandemic. When things are "back to normal" it will be more ideal to work from home when there's a bit more freedom outside of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I consider myself fortunate. I was laid off last April, but eventually was able to turn that into an opportunity to work for the same people but as an independent consultant. And that's worked out better so far. I'm not going back to the way things were. My wife was laid off in October however and has yet to find new employment.

So here is the other side of the coin from before I retired. Back about this time last year was when my company started enforcing all the COVID protocols. At that time, they started forcing about 60% of the plant to work from home. Of course, for those of us who worked in the production end of things, that was impossible. This is not my personal view, but what happened over the course of the year was a growing resentment among many of the workers who had to come into the plant every day against those that were working from home. The people coming into the plant having to drive through snow, traffic, and risking their lives against exposure began to argue that they should get paid a bonus for coming into work over those who were working from home. I am not advocating one way or the other
    Not surprising at all. I've heard similar stories from a few friends.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    So heres something interesting; I was eligable for the vacine on 2-15. And was lucky enough to score an apointment for the 15th due to a cancelation and a well timed call to the hotline. I recieved the first dose at Jones Beach , a large NY State run vaccination center. Yesterday the news reported all doses administered on the 15th at Jones Beach are ineffective due to improper temperature storage. I'm now in a limbo where I cant make another appointment and have to wait for the state authorities to assign me another time slot. It seems all of America's stupid has rallied around every facet of this pandemic , from prevention and containment to treatment. For fuck's sake !!
    That sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    How about 68-70. I'd be broke if I had ours at 78-80.
    We keep our houses between 78 and 80 in the summer. In the winter, more like 68 to 70. The house I grew up in was poorly insulated, and had bare cinder-block walls. My dad kept the thermostat set to 65 in the winter. But most businesses, including stores maintain a temp of 72 to 75 in the summer. If someone walks into a store out of the 115 degree heat, they want to be as comfortable as possible. In an office, people are simply less productive when they're hot and sweaty. Particularly dressed in business attire.
    Last edited by progmatist; 1 Week Ago at 03:14 PM.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

One thing my generation has seen is how “blurred” the Work / Homelife has become. It used to be that your personal life was separate from your work life. Then came Faxes, cell phones, e-mail and eventually it became common to get an intrusion into your personal / family time from your employer. I’m retired (15 years now) but all my friends currently “enjoying” this new world also admit to no longer taking Vacations or down time of any sort. What was that Charlie Chaplin movie 70+ years ago about the future of work?
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

I can totally see that. I am saving hundreds of dollars a month by working from home.
    - I fill my gas tank once a month instead of once a week - that's about a $150 savings.
    - I don't have to pay for parking at work - $175 saved
    - I don't eat out anymore or go to Starbucks as often. Some of that is offset by higher grocery bills, Hello Fresh meals 3x/wk, and occasional take-out. But I figure we're still saving about $100 - $150/mth.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails
    When almost everything here shut down in March, a lot of the supermarkets increased employees pay by up to $2/hr. I think, however, that's been reversed now at most chains.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    When almost everything here shut down in March, a lot of the supermarkets increased employees pay by up to $2/hr. I think, however, that's been reversed now at most chains.
    My daughter is a cashier at her local Wegman's and also received a $2/hr raise, but it was only temporary.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Personally, I disagree. I was let go at the beginning of the pandemic, but I am very thankful I was. Not to get too personal here, but when the pandemic start I was very worried about my mother. She had several preexisting conditions that raised the likelihood of the worst possible outcome if she got the disease. She passed at the end of last year (thankfully non-covid related) and if I had to work through this thing I wouldn't have seen her for the last nine months of her life. We certainly didn't spend as much time together as we would have had their not been a pandemic, I am very thankful that I was able to spend some time with her over this period. From a more selfish perspective, not working has saved me the trouble of having to interact with others and decreased the chances of me getting the virus, which has made this a mentally easier experience overall. Of course, I live in a state that recognizes this virus is a real issue, so they have programs and such to help, which does ease the financial burdens of such things. Unfortunately, I know many that don't have that luxury. But I don't want to get political than that, so I'll digress and just say again that I am very thankful to not have been working for nearly a year now.
    No humor please, we're skittish.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I can totally see that. I am saving hundreds of dollars a month by working from home.
    - I fill my gas tank once a month instead of once a week - that's about a $150 savings.
    - I don't eat out anymore or go to Starbucks as often. Some of that is offset by higher grocery bills, Hello Fresh meals 3x/wk, and occasional take-out. But I figure we're still saving about $100 - $150/mth.

Me too! I save $200 on parking, once a month fill up on my tank of gas. Although not a cost saving, track pants everyday at work - was skipping shaving some days but my team noticed it so shower and shave every morning. Less time doing laundry. I take no breaks during the day but a full hour for lunch. I've cut down eating out - about once a week now but $240ish for groceries.
    I could easily do this routine until retirement but who know if and when we'll be asked to return to work.

As for time off, 4 weeks of vacation and 2 personal days. I would like more but think in the grand scheme of things I've got it pretty nice.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 1 Week Ago at 09:01 PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    As for time off, 4 weeks of vacation and 2 personal days. I would like more but think in the grand scheme of things I've got it pretty nice.
    We're not supposed to carry over any vacation days. In 2018 I ended the year leading a very big project and couldn't use up my vacation days. I carried over 5 days with permission from my VP because we were also planning a trip to Portugal in 2019 and I wanted the extra days for that. My husband had a health issue that required us to cancel our trip. He recovered nicely so we rescheduled the trip for May 2020 and I again got permission to carry those days forward. In 2020 the trip was cancelled because of Covid. We were so busy at work that it just wasn't possible to for me to take an extra week off. So, once again I received permission to carry those 5 days forward to this year but was told that I HAVE to take them this year. So, now I have an extra week of vacation and nowhere to go. It could be a lot worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk
    My husband and I feel very fortunate that we are both working through this. We have a few friends and family members that were not so lucky. My husband had to take a pay cut for about eight months, but his pay was restored to 100% at the start of this year. The pay cut sucked, but it was better than losing his job so we sucked it up and remained grateful.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Personally, I disagree. I was let go at the beginning of the pandemic, but I am very thankful I was. Not to get too personal here, but when the pandemic start I was very worried about my mother. She had several preexisting conditions that raised the likelihood of the worst possible outcome if she got the disease. She passed at the end of last year (thankfully non-covid related)
    I'm so sorry for your loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I'm sure. I'm in the related field of video production, where I'm dealing with creatives and always struggling to get their focus and attention.
    HEY!!!
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Not to mention time not spent just sitting in traffic. Pre-pandemic, it would take me 15 minutes to drive in downtown traffic, about 3/4 mile to the freeway on-ramp. Then another 15 minutes waiting my turn at the metered freeway on-ramp. Then whatever logjams on the freeway would be anybody's guess.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Judging by this the next Progday should have about 500 people.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

My neighbor and her sister contracted Covid a couple weeks ago. Her sister completely recovered but she still doesn't have her sense of smell or taste yet. They said she was unknowingly dipping strawberries into ranch dressing instead of the sweeter mix for the strawberries.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

I received permission to carry those 5 days forward to this year but was told that I HAVE to take them this year. So, now I have an extra week of vacation and nowhere to go.
    This kind of stuff really makes me angry. Your company loses NOTHING by letting you carry those 5 days. It's just cruel. Especially considering all that's going on right now.