Page 155 of 235 FirstFirst ... 55105145151152153154155156157158159165205 ... LastLast
Results 3,851 to 3,875 of 5872

Thread: COVID-19 Coronavirus Information and Discussion

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I love working from home. No commute! Technology allows me to keep in close contact with my team and others I work with. When the pandemic is over (can you really say that??), I'd really like to stay working at home.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Over 720 cases in Toronto yesterday. A new record, by far. The second lockdown doesn't seem to be working. They may have waited to long to implement it.

neil

I love working from home though I'm slowly slipping into retirement mode. Set my own hours, less distractions, better music, better food, comfortable clothes, and as an introvert, I can do without human contact.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I love working from home as well. I worked from home years ago, and gave it up almost 14 years ago to work for my current company. It was a hard thing to give up. Having worked from home again since mid-March, I'd be happy to never have to go back to the office. Although, I do miss the social interaction. I work with an amazing team and I miss them!

I agree with Jergo about better music (well, maybe not better but certainly louder!), better (and healthier) food and comfortable clothes. I do not miss having to dress for work every day, and I haven't put on make-up or dyed my hair since March either. If we do go back to work, people are going to wonder who this pasty-faced grey-haired old lady is. LOL!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    I love working from home as well. I worked from home years ago, and gave it up almost 14 years ago to work for my current company. It was a hard thing to give up. Having worked from home again since mid-March, I'd be happy to never have to go back to the office. Although, I do miss the social interaction. I work with an amazing team and I miss them!

I agree with Jergo about better music (well, maybe not better but certainly louder!), better (and healthier) food and comfortable clothes. I do not miss having to dress for work every day, and I haven't put on make-up or dyed my hair since March either. If we do go back to work, people are going to wonder who this pasty-faced grey-haired old lady is. LOL!
    I'm not sure how my wife puts up with it but I wear track pants and a t shirt with a pull over each day. No routine of wake up early for the commute, shower shave, etc. Wearing dress cloths. I'm still hygienic (lol) but I'm much more casual. I also take a full hour for lunch but no breaks during the day.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 12-01-2020 at 09:08 PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I work 50/50ish from home. My work group ( IT ) takes turns manning the castle.
    Most of the office people are on similar rotation, just 4-5 people. The normal public customer service aspect of their jobs have been shifted to online and phone exclusively.
    Some of our 'customers' insist on being in the building. It's their literal 'seat of power', so that's where they are comfortable.
    And some their Chambers are mask free zones, although I would not dare enter maskless. And we have latitude to decline if they do not allow us to do our job as safely as we want.

I like working from home, except that I don't like being nailed to a chair all day. You are almost expected to reply faster in the home environment, be more available.
    We are lucky to have pretty robust remote assistance tools, so barring a serious network problem we can help our customers.
    Unfortunately some customers have a hard time dealing with the reality of what we have offered in terms of tools to enable their jobs.
    That is always been the case, but the last 9 months have been a significant headache for everyone.
    Sadly we have thrown a bunch of time and money away trying to come up with ways to try and enable more interaction with our external customers and try to bring back some of our normal business.
    We have had at least 4 false (re)starts, and it is not without good reason. We have statutory clocks running that peoples lives and businesses depend on.
    Our next restart is in January.
    Who knows what the holidays will do to that one.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I've worked from home for 20+ years (when I'm not traveling - though travel is obviously down to zero at preset).

My home office is very well set up, comfortable, nice window view, excellent chair, great music, huge screen, a TV that runs on mute when certain sports events are on, and the ability to flip-flop from work PC to home PC at the touch of a button.

I wouldn't swap it for anything!
    Regards,

Duncan

Been essential since day 1, and remain essential. The ten hour days with a mask are really getting old.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

I've only worked a few days at home, and since I supervise others, and a work flow process, it flows much better when I work in the office. My wife works from home for her job preparing for her job as a musician and teacher (preschool kids music and dance, and two churches) Can make things difficult at times. I have less than 3 years to work. Hopefully the pandemic will be history by then.......

As a Retired Geezer.....I appreciate the LACK of traffic jams on weekdays! Made a booze run to Oregon today and made the run at 70mph the whole way with No slowdowns. That Never happened before the lockdown.....Boy, are we going to be collectively "pissed off" next year when everything opens and the stop / go traffic returns.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    .Boy, are we going to be collectively "pissed off" next year when everything opens and the stop / go traffic returns.
    It's already returned in Toronto. Not as bad since Toronto has been locked down again, but you're not likely getting anywhere at 70mph the whole way.

I myself have performed the web design/maintenance portion of my job from home for 18 years, give or take. I only go into the office/studio to lead the music group. When AZ was shut down, I didn't go in at all. To this day, it's not possible for musicians to collaborate live on Zoom. Music like comedy is all about timing. The delays inherent in video chat make playing music unfeasible.

But we're the exception, not the rule. Most people go stir crazy, being cooped up at home in front of a computer.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    It's already returned in Toronto. Not as bad since Toronto has been locked down again, but you're not likely getting anywhere at 70mph the whole way.
    In spring when the Los Angeles area was hit hard, it was possible to drive 70 plus on the 405 freeway, for the first time in its history. In non-pandemic times, it's the busiest freeway in the country, if not the world.
    Last edited by progmatist; 12-02-2020 at 01:22 AM.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Since the pianos are on campus, I obviously have to go there to work. During the past semester when students were on campus I would scramble to get as much work in before 9 am as possible and then hole up in my workshop/office the rest of my shift. Every piano I touched was sanitized before and after my work on it. Now that we're on an extended break (through late January if things go according to plan), the students are almost completely absent and the rest of the office staff is working remotely, so I have the run of the place. Less sanitizing and far more work gets done.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Most of my work can't be done from home. Back in the spring I was cutting face shields with a waterjet for several weeks until the normal suppliers could ramp up production. This was done in a large room where I was mostly alone but for a couple hours a day there was one other person with me, but there was plenty of room to stay distant.

For the past few months since then I've been back at my normal office. Officially there are about 13-14 people working in my building, but most can do their jobs from home. These days if there are 5-6 people here that's a heavy traffic day. More often there are 3-4 people so keeping our distance is pretty easy. We wear masks when not at our desks (or when people stop by our desk to talk).

My wife's work is almost entirely done on the computer, but her boss is an idiot and wants her to come in at least 3 days a week. The company has its policies, but leaders are given a fair amount of room to come up with their own rules.
    <sig out of order>

When the pandemic hit, I was working for a high-end office furniture company as a temp-to-hire. I was laid-off, due to the pandemic, before they got around to actually hiring me. I was pretty freaked out. Where would I find a job in the middle of an economic crisis?

Fortunately (I'm so blessed), my recruiter called me up a day or two later and asked, "how do you feel about medical marijuana?" Having never used the product, I was a little hesitant, but I told him that I'm not morally or politically opposed, and I favor the idea that if someone is suffering and there's something that could help, we should be doing what we can to help them. So, I was out of work 2.5 weeks and then I was working for a medical marijuana company. Who is thriving in this environment.

The caveat was that management wanted us to come in to the office every day, and protocols became rather lax. But I was hired in April (on 4/20!), and thankfully no one got sick. But our Governor mandated that anyone that could work from home was required to work from home in August, and I've been home ever since.

I love it. There's absolutely no reason for me to ever enter an office again. I do miss my co-workers, as I like all of them, but we communicate frequently via MS Teams, and productivity seems to be up, if anything. As others have mentioned, there are many, many advantages, and I know that I'm saving a lot of money by not commuting anymore.

I dodged a bullet, working for a company who's business will never come back to what it was, to working for a company that should only grow (no pun intended) during the rest of my lifetime.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    When the pandemic hit, I was working for a high-end office furniture company as a temp-to-hire. I was laid-off, due to the pandemic, before they got around to actually hiring me. I was pretty freaked out. Where would I find a job in the middle of an economic crisis?

Fortunately (I'm so blessed), my recruiter called me up a day or two later and asked, "how do you feel about medical marijuana?" Having never used the product, I was a little hesitant, but I told him that I'm not morally or politically opposed, and I favor the idea that if someone is suffering and there's something that could help, we should be doing what we can to help them. So, I was out of work 2.5 weeks and then I was working for a medical marijuana company. Who is thriving in this environment.

The caveat was that management wanted us to come in to the office every day, and protocols became rather lax. But I was hired in April (on 4/20!), and thankfully no one got sick. But our Governor mandated that anyone that could work from home was required to work from home in August, and I've been home ever since.

I love it. There's absolutely no reason for me to ever enter an office again. I do miss my co-workers, as I like all of them, but we communicate frequently via MS Teams, and productivity seems to be up, if anything. As others have mentioned, there are many, many advantages, and I know that I'm saving a lot of money by not commuting anymore.

I dodged a bullet, working for a company who's business will never come back to what it was, to working for a company that should only grow (no pun intended) during the rest of my lifetime.
    Scott? Is that really you? It's been quite some time.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

My wife's work is almost entirely done on the computer, but her boss is an idiot and wants her to come in at least 3 days a week.
    I've heard tales of micro-management types being driven batshit insane by working from home. It goes against their grain to not be physically on their employees 8 hours a day.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Scott? Is that really you? It's been quite some time.
    'Tis me. Figured it was time to come out of hibernation for a little while.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I've heard tales of micro-management types being driven batshit insane by working from home. It goes against their grain to not be physically on their employees 8 hours a day.
    That's a real shame.

/not

Big news from Pfizer for the U.K. today. U.S. approval standards are more stringent, but still expected within the next week or so: https://www.chicagotribune.com/coron...uau-story.html

Regarding working from home. In between knee surgeries I was doing half days at the plan and half days at home. To be honest I found it very hard to motivate myself at home. I am not sure that would work for me full time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Interesting.

I'm guessing sexual harassment at the workplace is lower since Covid.

I can't work from home. But, I only have to wear a mask if I leave my editing suite in the building, so not bad at all. And they are very careful about social distances and relentless about disinfecting work spaces, as am I. Every shift starts with a total wipe down of all the equipment, so I feel safe there.

One of the reasons that I love my job, is that it's always been a casual dress position. I've never worn a suit in my life, to work, and wouldn't have it any other way! And Forever Autumn is quite right, the busy traffic has already returned to Toronto, and has been back for quite some time. Nothing like the first wave total lockdown, when it was almost a ghost city.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Interesting.

I'm guessing sexual harassment at the workplace is lower since Covid.
    Unless you're Jeffrey Toobin

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Unless you're Jeffrey Toobin
    and on that note... welcome back, ScottBails!