Page 153 of 235 FirstFirst ... 53103143149150151152153154155156157163203 ... LastLast
Results 3,801 to 3,825 of 5872

Thread: COVID-19 Coronavirus Information and Discussion

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Munster View Post
    If you got any more anal you would have to admit there is only ONE entrance - or, rather, exit
    Rimjob! I mean, Rimshot!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Can you post a drawing?
    A photo would be better.

Can we get any more anal about this? Maybe it deserves its own thread.
    Looking for something to rival your Re-glazing a bathtub thread?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Looking for something to rival your Re-glazing a bathtub thread?
    Sadly, I didn't go into nearly as much detail in that legendary and much-loved thread.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Largly semantics here ,But, the reality is one entrance.
    No, it's simple math.

Can you post a drawing? Our Costco has a liquor store you access through a separate entrance after you go through one of those three entrances to the building. It's owned by Costco, but NY State law doesn't allow grocery stores to sell wine or liquor. There's also a tire shop through a FOURTH entrance to the building (I guess you can't sell tires in grocery stores either!).

I posted a link with a photo of the store.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Co....1075819?hl=en

It has two roll-up doors and two regular doors that enter the cart area. (One of the four entrances is not shown.) Three of those four doors were closed in order to funnel people to the cleaned carts prior to entering the store entrance.

Why is this so difficult for people to comprehend? We have wasted far too much oxygen over this issue. If this wasn't for the resident contrarian, we would have moved on by now.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Eric Clapton and Van Morrison release anti-lockdown song with predictable reactions on both sides.
    https://variety.com/2020/music/globa...ticle-comments

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Both sides? But there is only one reality, although clearly there are some who deny it.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Both sides? But there is only one reality, although clearly there are some who deny it.
    The term "denial" is way too absolute in the case of Covid 19...most people I know are just going along with it because we are law abiding citizens and believe what we are being told. However, I know lots of people that have some sort of doubt about the whole situation, definitely not "denial", doubt is not denial, more about curiosity, conflicting info and opinions etc...My wife & I are both 80 years old and subsequently in the high risk group. We have discussed the many scenarios surrounding the pandemic and can never arrive at a clear cut opinion as to what is exactly going on. The often quoted term of asymptomatic, is a contentious issue that puzzles us both. I don't believe I was aware of this term until covid 19. If you look at other similar virus's, like the common cold or the flu, it begs the question that if you have no symptoms, how could you know that you had either? just sayin'...
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politic...ation-n1178930

Interesting article about a recent Johns Hopkins study comparing the number of deaths this year versus the previous few.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Largly semantics here ,But, the reality is one entrance. The 3 rollups lead into a protected outdoor space , like a covered porch if you will, which then leads to the one entrance into the store.
    The one entrance , one exit applies to customers. There are numerous others , loading docks , emergency side exits and the like.
    Thank you.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Amen. There's truth and there are untruths. There are facts and there are lies. There is science and there are myths.

These are not sides. They are choices. You either choose to accept reality or you choose to deny it. It's okay to question authority, but that's not the same thing. You can listen to pundits, politicians and charlatans, or you can listen to scientists and doctors.

I have a very good friend who questions the numbers and claims they are being inflated. This is the same guy who was convinced it would go away when the weather got hot. Now he insists it will get better and we'll have a vaccine in weeks. This is one of my closest and oldest friends. He's a smart guy, although, he never made anything of his life. I just found out last night that he now gets his "news" from AON.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Thank you.

Solidarity doesn't make you right, bro.

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    Eric Clapton and Van Morrison release anti-lockdown song with predictable reactions on both sides.
    Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    However, I know lots of people that have some sort of doubt about the whole situation, definitely not "denial", doubt is not denial, more about curiosity, conflicting info and opinions etc..
    "Deny" may not be the best choice of words. Doubt is certainly more appropriate.

But to Alan's point, this is the kind of shit that we have to deal with in the USA... (from the comments section)

Dr. Nandor Ludvig
    10 hours ago
    For me at least, this is a heartening news, strengthened my faith in humankind's ability to unite with the awakening soul of geniuses like Morrison and Clapton and with its help resist the global dictatorship that this year chose to masquerade as "protectors of health and safety" while methodically enslaves country after country.
    And while "doubt" might be appropriate, that is just the beginning of what ultimately becomes a counter-narrative, propagated by "alternate" forms of the very type of websites, videos, media, and social media they have been told to distrust.

What we have witnessed the last few years with its crescendo in 2020 is the culmination of a generation-long campaign of distrust of institutions - government, media, universities, science, and now facts themselves.

Comments like the above are all too common now. "Beliefs" and "feelings" have commandeered facts and common sense. Conspiracy theories or otherwise nefarious doings of unverified malevolence *must* be happening. Because you no longer trust in institutions, you don't believe their attempts to debunk the misinformation. And that's not just some anchor on a media network - but scientists, educational leaders, former government officials, etc.

And now we are SOOOOOOOOOO ripe to believe such things that we have probably about 50 million people in the USA that believe our election was "stolen" and will carry that grudge for a long time. There is no credible institution or fact checker that could change their minds. In my opinion, this is some sort of ultimate irony.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post

Interesting article about a recent Johns Hopkins study comparing the number of deaths this year versus the previous few.
    Well I read Johns Hopkins daily tally of Covid 19 cases worldwide and I don't argue...the point is, is this a true/real article written on behalf of Johns Hopkins? or is it fodder for the denial crowd?
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Populism is not only a U.S. phenomenon. It's international, including where I live.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post

ACK! Scanning that website for a moment helps bolster my observation above. In the last 10-15 years, what was originally seen as an "underground" or "alternate" movement is now 1,000s of websites/blogs/videos/media channels/social media all claiming to be part of an underground or resistance movement, but pretty much all saying the same message. It's like when craft beer become mainstream, it's difficult to call it the alternative anymore.

From the article:
    The study found that “This trend is completely contrary to the pattern observed in all previous years.” In fact, “the total decrease in deaths by other causes almost exactly equals the increase in deaths by COVID-19.”

Briand concludes that the COVID-19 death toll in the United States is misleading and that deaths from other diseases are being categorized as COVID-19 deaths.
    I read through it and don't want to speculate too much, but my takeaway is that it's easy to manipulate the data to fit a narrative. I think most acknowledge comorbidity as a factor in COVID deaths. But it also stands to reason that, as life became more "still" in 2020, deaths from other causes might go down due to less activity. In any event, there are gobs and gobs of doctors and scientists that argue the death toll should be much higher than it is.

But ultimately as long as we can find a way to divide any story/issue/topic into two sides it immediately devolves into narrative/counter-narrative and is politicized for good.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post

What we have witnessed the last few years with its crescendo in 2020 is the culmination of a generation-long campaign of distrust of institutions - government, media, universities, science, and now facts themselves.

Comments like the above are all too common now. "Beliefs" and "feelings" have commandeered facts and common sense. Conspiracy theories or otherwise nefarious doings of unverified malevolence *must* be happening. Because you no longer trust in institutions, you don't believe their attempts to debunk the misinformation. And that's not just some anchor on a media network - but scientists, educational leaders, former government officials, etc.

And now we are SOOOOOOOOOO ripe to believe such things that we have probably about 50 million people in the USA that believe our election was "stolen" and will carry that grudge for a long time. There is no credible institution or fact checker that could change their minds. In my opinion, this is some sort of ultimate irony.
    I'm shocked at what I'm reading. Not because it's outlandish or even wrong. It's spot on.

I'm just shocked to "hear" you saying it.

I've been aware of the term "asymptomatic" for 30 years. I suspect it was around long before that as well.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post

Solidarity doesn't make you right, bro.
    No. But it makes me right. Covered cart area does not = store. Its the covered cart area you pass through to get into the store.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I've been aware of the term "asymptomatic" for 30 years. I suspect it was around long before that as well.
    Yeah, it's hardly new.

Ember
    Covered cart area does not = store. Its the covered cart area you pass through to get into the store.
    It's the lobby. Not the theater.

Surely there are some 21st century retail construction experts that can be quoted on this crucial point???!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth
    "Beliefs" and "feelings" have commandeered facts and common sense. Conspiracy theories or otherwise nefarious doings of unverified malevolence *must* be happening.
    We seem to be regressing to a time when there was little, if any, science, when one man's superstitious mumbo jumbo equaled another man's studied verdict.

The number of Covid deaths is almost certainly greater than reported, especially in the US, where people will avoid the health care system simply because it costs more than they can afford. Where I live, you can't be tested for Covid unless you have Covid symptoms or can somehow show that you have been in contact with someone who tested positive for Covid. Such a system makes it impossible to get a full count on the infected. Add to that a federal government that doesn't want to know...

Covid-19 is referred to as the novel coronavirus because it has not been seen before. Why should it not be possible for an infected, and contagious, person to be asymptomatic? You would hope the potentially infected would wear a mask, but their ignorance is held on a par with my scientific knowledge, making it impossible to slow the spread the virus. We will be remembered, if at all, as a people who died of their own willful ignorance, stupidity, and stubbornness, having chosen conspiracy theory over fact.

"Don't lend your hand to raise no flag, atop no ship of fools" - Hunter, Garcia

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    It's the lobby. Not the theater.
    The lobby has an entrance. In this case, four, three of which were closed.

Speaking of closing, let's close out this silly discussion, shall we?

Here's my original quote:

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    The flip-side is that the very same Costco had only one entrance open, so the workers can wipe the shipping carts (although a bit haphazardly, but better than nothing)
    This is a correct statement. It's obvious to anyone with a grade-school education who can handle a compound sentence that I am clearly referring to the entrances to the shopping cart area. I even shared a photo for the right-brained out there ... twice.

Yet, now a structure with four walls and a roof is not a building. And a door is, apparently, not a door ... "semantically."

So, much to the delight of everyone else here, this discussion is over, unless my two friends want to do some high fives and have a victory parade out of the building that's not a building through the door that's not a door.

Lotta people have died from that hoax.