Page 14 of 235 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 Coronavirus Information and Discussion

Thanks for the update. I have to go to Tysons tomorrow for a meeting. I guess I'll wear my hazmat suite.
    My brother owns 2 army-navy surplus stores and actually has some in stock, no joke. He sold out of all of the following: MREs, ammo canisters, water, water jugs, face masks, etc. As he joked with me, he had one of his best days in a long time yesterday.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Hopefully my YMCA pool remains open, where I swim every morning. The CDC says chlorine kills the virus.
    I've not seen that. On the CDC website, this seems to be the only mention of chlorine that I found:

Can spraying alcohol or chlorine all over your body kill the new coronavirus?

No. Spraying alcohol or chlorine all over your body will not kill viruses that have already entered your body. Spraying such substances can be harmful to clothes or mucous membranes (i.e. eyes, mouth). Be aware that both alcohol and chlorine can be useful to disinfect surfaces, but they need to be used under appropriate recommendations.
    If you have a CDC link that states it kills the virus, please share it.

I am seeing elsewhere that chlorine may kill traces of the virus. (my emphasis). It's also vital that you consider that the virus is transmitted through droplets. You cannot find a more humid place than an indoor swimming area or gym.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    If you have a CDC link that states it kills the virus, please share it.
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...php/water.html

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    Zeuhlmate- some interpretation with that article. It makes it seem as though the death rate is immensely high- but the reason people are in the hospital in the first place is that they are very sick. (This is known as a spectrum bias in research since the data does not include patients across the spectrum of presentation). Old age was just 1.1 times more likely to lead to death; the d-dimer OR is the one that really seems to be tied in to death, as that OR was 18.42 (i.e. with a high d-dimer level you are 18x more likely to die than if low). A variety of conditions inclreased chance of death- cardiovascualr disease (OR=21.1), COPD (OR=5.4), smoking even increased rate of death by 2.3x. This is really scary data to me.
    It's clear that if you are weak for some reason (very old, unhealthy, obese, ill, etc.) the risk is much bigger.
    Here a 21 year old soccer trainer died from corona, but when he was hospitalized they found out he also had leucemia.

https://www.malagahoy.es/deportes/Fa...446755313.html

That's not quite stating that it kills it. It states that "Proper operation, maintenance, and disinfection (e.g., with chlorine and bromine) of pools and hot tubs should remove or inactivate the virus that causes COVID-19." (My emphasis.) They also state that "There is no evidence that COVID-19 can be spread to humans through the use of pools and hot tubs." That means they haven't found evidence yet, not that it doesn't exist. It's carefully parsed. And, to my greater point, the humidity in an indoor public pool can be a great vehicle for it.

So, I don't see anything on that link that gives a green light to go to your local YMCA. In fact, as a pool owner myself, I can state that the key here is "Proper operation, maintenance, and disinfection," which are practices not very well adhered to, especially at public places.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

"Kill" actually isn't the proper term to use with a virus, since viruses aren't technically alive. "Inactivate" is the proper medical term.

There is much yet unknown -- but to me, pools look pretty safe. I'll keep swimming as long as they let me.

Hopefully my YMCA pool remains open, where I swim every morning. The CDC says chlorine kills the virus.
    Chlorine kills everything.
    Pity you can't inject Chlorine into the body. No more AIDS, COVID19, Bubonic Plague etc.

Okay I see you are speaking of swimming pools which may not contain enough Chlorine to kill everything. However bleach concentrations of Chlorine will do the job.

DtB

I have just been notified by my main client, for whom I work on-site, has ordered me to work from home until notified.

Pain in the ass since that means the good wife may nag me to do all the stuff I've been putting off re home ownership. You know fixing stuff and helping out with housework.

DtB

Maryland governor starting 5PM today has closed all bars, restaurants,gyms and any other gathering places. Drive thru or pick food will be available.

Can you believe the person appointed to be head of the virus commission said it is okay to shake hands.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

"Kill" actually isn't the proper term to use with a virus, since viruses aren't technically alive. "Inactivate" is the proper medical term.

There is much yet unknown -- but to me, pools look pretty safe. I'll keep swimming as long as they let me.
    Hey, if you have that much faith in your fellow citizen, then go right ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave the Brave View Post
    Chlorine kills everything.
    Actually, that's not true. For example, it doesn't kill fecal matter. I had to point that out to a neighbor after a child shit in his pool.

When you excersize you breathe more, you sweat more, you maybe even spit in the water - and so do the others in the pool or gym-hall.

All pools are all closed in Denmark.

Actually, that's not true. For example, it doesn't kill fecal matter. I had to point that out to a neighbor after a child shit in his pool.
    If it wasn't swimming and just laying there it was dead.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    When you excersize you breathe more, you sweat more, you maybe even spit in the water - and so do the others in the pool or gym-hall.

All pools are all closed in Denmark.
    Plus, there's everything between the entrance and the pool, the pool and the locker room, the locker room and the exit. Most importantly, at least half the people out there are idiots and not practicing proper hygiene.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    I was waiting for that.

Not so long ago I came to PE for discussions of prog epics and art rock, and now I end up reading a discussion about toilet paper, hairy bottoms, bidets and shit that can swim (or not).
    As strict confinement is just beginning here in France, I look forward to spending even more time on PE !

We're here to inspire.

Plus, there's everything between the entrance and the pool, the pool and the locker room, the locker room and the exit. Most importantly, at least half the people out there are idiots and not practicing proper hygiene.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    I can’t say I’m in the least bit surprised. But if you’re morbidly obese you really really should try a bidet. I sure don’t know how TP could possibly do the job under those circumstances. In fact I don’t want to think about it or explain basic hygiene to an alleged adult.

<edit> ooops I see rcarlburg just tried to explain it. Don’t wast your time sir, I doubt the most powerful and self-evident arrow of logic could penetrate that level of density.
    Wow. Somehow this seems like one of the sorriest samples of unnecessary and unprovoked intolerance I've seen here if I'm interpreting these words correctly.

Since I've never even seen a Bidet, (quite rare on the west US coast) and never even heard the word until 'Crocodile Dundee', I had the same question, so was appreciative of rcarlburg's reassuring explanation.

Most Japanese toilets wash and dry your butt by warm air. No paper involved.
    One of my friends here i Denmark is married to a japanese.
    They imported the thing, and it works perfectly, as long as the electronics are ok.

Seven Bay Area counties ordered all residents to shelter in place for three weeks. Looks like I just got an unplanned vacation.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Asswipes (wetwipes) work just as good imo.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Wow. Somehow this seems like one of the sorriest samples of unnecessary and unprovoked intolerance I've seen here if I'm interpreting these words correctly.
    Yes, it does seem uncalled for.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Since I've never even seen a Bidet, (quite rare on the west US coast) and never even heard the word until 'Crocodile Dundee', I had the same question, so was appreciative of rcarlburg's reassuring explanation.
    Same here actually. I've never seen one in person, since they're also rare in my part of the continent. I'm glad to know that they work so well, and kinda wish they would catch on more here.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Most Japanese toilets wash and dry your butt by warm air. No paper involved.
    The reviews I read online before I bought indicated that the "air dry" feature was weak at best. Most users ended up drying off with paper anyway. So I went with the cheaper model that does not pre-mist the bowl, does not have a ventilator, does not blow dry your ass. The seat is warm, the water is warm, the water will pulse, the wand extends for cleaning, and there's a pressure switch on the seat so it doesn't squirt unless you're sitting on it.

The first model I bought, ten years ago (more or less as a proof-of-concept), did not heat the water. In the wintertime, when the water in the pipes was 40º, the effect was BRACING (to say the least). And, without a pressure switch, if you turned the knob, the water sprayed all over the ceiling.

The TOTO I bought is a much more gentle experience.

Well, that's that. The governor today closed all gyms and health clubs (and restaurants and bars) effective midnight tonight.

Drat.