Page 128 of 235 FirstFirst ... 2878118124125126127128129130131132138178228 ... LastLast
Results 3,176 to 3,200 of 5872

Thread: COVID-19 Coronavirus Information and Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    The negative response to a Russian vaccine is quite predictable. I tend to take a more personal view..just because it's Russian doesn't mean that it's automatically suspect and subject to ridicule. Historically, Russian science has been in the same league as the rest of the world, in some cases ahead...
    And in some cases far behind: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trofim_Lysenko

An interesting article on the Sputnik V vaccine in today's Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-covid-vaccine

The negative response to a Russian vaccine is quite predictable. I tend to take a more personal view..just because it's Russian doesn't mean that it's automatically suspect and subject to ridicule. Historically, Russian science has been in the same league as the rest of the world, in some cases ahead...
    But their politics will trump the science (no pun intended).

Let Putin take the fist dose.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

During the space race, the US spent millions of dollars to develop a pen which could write in zero gravity. The Russians simply used pencils.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    But their politics will trump the science (no pun intended).

Let Putin take the fist dose.
    Those kinky Russians!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Its homoeopathic - they have thinned a drop of Putins blood a trillion times in a bottle of Jeltzin Vodka.
    LMAO!

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Those kinky Russians!
    I'll leave it unedited for your pleasure.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

The negative response was about them skipping steps in the normal process that drugs are approved. Personally I would not want to take a drug that had not gone through phase 3 trials, but that does not mean that the Russian drug won't work. It very well might.

321 new cases in Toronto today. Not good. It was well under 100 per day for quite awhile. The second wave is here, and how.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    321 new cases in Toronto today. Not good. It was well under 100 per day for quite awhile. The second wave is here, and how.

neil
    Toronto only reports on Monday, Wednesday and Friday so that number is actually for both Tuesday and Wednesday. Things aren't as dire as they seem, although we're still on a upward trend. I prefer to look at the 7-day average instead of the day-to-day numbers. That tells a much truer story, as the daily numbers are skewed if they aren't reporting every day.

Spiking like crazy here in North Dakota. I live in a small town and despite there being folks in town that have been tested positive, when I went downtown today I only saw one person wearing a mask besides myself. In fact, I saw a couple people over 65 who I know have underlying health issues not wearing masks. Darwin awards are forthcoming.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    My son’s school closed early because two siblings tested positive and had been exposed and infected over the weekend. Our numbers were really low before, with no new cases. Back to full remote while the DoH finishes contact tracing.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    During the space race, the US spent millions of dollars to develop a pen which could write in zero gravity. The Russians simply used pencils.
    That's a myth: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/the-write-stuff/
    Brian Dennehy: "I'm now 80 and I'm just another actor and that's fine with me. I've had a hell of a ride," ... "I have a nice house. I haven't got a palace, a mansion, but a pretty nice, comfortable home. I've raised a bunch of kids and sent them all to school, and they're all doing well. All the people that are close to me are reasonably healthy and happy. Listen, that's as much as anybody can hope for in life."

PA although had a lot of early deaths is actually has a comparatively low per capita rate. My sons live in Tennessee and Wisconsin which have high per capita rates.

Both states I believe have a lower use of masks.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    Toronto only reports on Monday, Wednesday and Friday so that number is actually for both Tuesday and Wednesday. Things aren't as dire as they seem, although we're still on a upward trend. I prefer to look at the 7-day average instead of the day-to-day numbers. That tells a much truer story, as the daily numbers are skewed if they aren't reporting every day.
    You may be right, but my local Councillor, who sends out daily updates, says that this number was, 'since yesterday', so...

neil

You may be right, but my local Councillor, who sends out daily updates, says that this number was, 'since yesterday', so...

neil
    The numbers are posted daily on 680 news, including regional reports.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Things going up here in Kalamazoo, although we are a University town which is the main culprit. Hoping it can stay low enough that I can still get my next knee surgery in 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Spiking like crazy here in North Dakota. I live in a small town and despite there being folks in town that have been tested positive, when I went downtown today I only saw one person wearing a mask besides myself. In fact, I saw a couple people over 65 who I know have underlying health issues not wearing masks. Darwin awards are forthcoming.
    In Montana, they tell "North Dakotian" Jokes.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

neil
    I went back to the Toronto website and it looks like I was wrong. The cases are updated daily and the dashboard is updated only 3 times a week.
    https://www.toronto.ca/home/covid-19...es-in-toronto/

The dashboard is pretty interesting. It currently shows that the 7-day average is 214 cases per day, and the Health System Capacity is Green. That's pretty good news that there aren't a lot of people hospitalized.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    A cheap felt tip pen helped get Apollo 11 off the moon. Aldrin accidently hit and broke a circuit breaker switch with his backpack. Of course it was the "Engine Arm" switch that was vital to get off of the moon. After being told to go to sleep while ground control worked on a workaround, the astronauts naturally couldn't. Aldrin got the idea to use the pen to complete the circuit and soon after they launched off of the Moon.

Oops!! Looks like a certain famous couple should've been wearing masks more often... It just keeps getting weirder.

Bleach and sunlight will do the trick.

My first reaction was, is this fake news?. My second was that it is definitely schadenfreude.

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    Oops!! Looks like a certain famous couple should've been wearing masks more often... It just keeps getting weirder.
    They don't actually exist. Pure mythology, although some people do believe that they are real. Some people believe in Bigfoot too.

The contact tracing from this will be EPIC!
    Who can claim to the the Spreader to the POTUS and who can claim the title of receiving covid from the Super Spreader himself?
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain