Page 127 of 235 FirstFirst ... 2777117123124125126127128129130131137177227 ... LastLast
Results 3,151 to 3,175 of 5872

Thread: COVID-19 Coronavirus Information and Discussion

Condolences on your loss, Kevin. That is very sad, and a grim reminder of how fast things can happen.

Toronto has been pretty good at following the rules, although a few restaurants have been ordered to shut down for breaking them. I have been back to part time work now for the last two weeks. Unfortunately, I can't work remotely, or I would. My building is very diligent about following all protocols, none-the-less three people have gotten Covid here within the last two weeks. The company sends out emails saying that everywhere the infected employees have been has been thoroughly dis-infected and notes whether anyone had any extended contact with said employees. If so, they are told to stay home.

I am cautiously continuing on, but if too many cases continue to be reported, I will have to strongly consider staying home again. A vaccine can't come soon enough.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Toronto has been pretty good at following the rules, although a few restaurants have been ordered to shut down for breaking them. I have been back to part time work now for the last two weeks. Unfortunately, I can't work remotely, or I would. My building is very diligent about following all protocols, none-the-less three people have gotten Covid here within the last two weeks. The company sends out emails saying that everywhere the infected employees have been has been thoroughly dis-infected and notes whether anyone had any extended contact with said employees. If so, they are told to stay home.

I am cautiously continuing on, but if too many cases continue to be reported, I will have to strongly consider staying home again. A vaccine can't come soon enough.

neil
    Stay safe Neil.

^Thank you. And you.

neil

Someone who won't wear a mask voluntarily probably won't wear one given to him/her either.

Around here I have seen almost 100% compliance inside of shops.
    A friend that runs a flower shop south of here allowed a mask denier to stay outside of her shop and order "through the closed door".
    Win-Win I suppose. The denier had tried to pull the Mask Exemption (literal ) card they had printed from the internet.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    The denier had tried to pull the Mask Exemption (literal ) card they had printed from the internet.
    I guess next they will have a condom exemption card. "IT CAN'T BREATHE, IT CAN'T BREATHE"
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Someone who won't wear a mask voluntarily probably won't wear one given to him/her either.
    I wasn't there, so I can't say for sure, but my Mom said the kid was about 16/17 years old and by himself. My guess is he left the house and forgot to take a mask. The only deniers I've seen around here are on Facebook where people can be assholes without repercussion. I've never witnessed anyone try to get into a business without a mask, I have seen a few who have forgotten masks and had to buy one from the store.

^^ I was at a local record store with several locations in the Phoenix area, 2 in Tucson, and 2 in Vegas. Some guy tried to walk in without a mask, and they wouldn't let him. He left for about a minute, then came back asking if it was even legal for them to not let him in. They simply said yes. He said, "are you sure?" They said yes again, and he left for good.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Farpoint Kevin View Post
    Today I have the sad honor of playing for the funeral service of a dear, long time friend. He was diagnosed with Covid last Thursday, admitted to the hospital on Tuesday, and passed on Wednesday. He was a kind and gentle, generous soul with a subtle, intelligent sense of humor and a vast, diverse talent for playing any musical instrument with strings. He was a friend, a mentor, and a huge supporter of all my musical endeavors. This is the closest and hardest that COVID has Hit for me. I am heartbroken.
    (The funeral will of course follow social distancing and mask-related rules.)
    Very sorry for your loss Kevin.

Coronavirus vaccine: When will we have one?

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51665497

Can we really wait for a vaccine? How long? Next year comes along and then it will be another year. Is it time to find a new normal because the damage being caused by more or partial lockdowns will end up doing more harm than good?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Can we really wait for a vaccine? How long? Next year comes along and then it will be another year. Is it time to find a new normal because the damage being caused by more or partial lockdowns will end up doing more harm than good?
    What is the alternative to the wait?
    Permanent stronger rules and punishments regarding our behaviour?

It doesn't look good anyhow.
    Some branches will die for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    If hospitals become inundated with covid patients, then people with cancer, heart disease, etc will end up dying as well. Its a tricky balance but you cannot let the hospitals get overrun. Not only that, but the health care professionals will die in large numbers.

My eyes have been on Sweden this entire time. But that country is very different from larger countries like USA, India, Russia, so its not really comparing apples with apples.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Coronavirus vaccine: When will we have one?

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51665497
    As I have posted here before, my companies vaccine is still looking very positive and our plant is gearing up to produce mass amounts of it. It could still all fall apart, but things continue to move along.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    If hospitals become inundated with covid patients, then people with cancer, heart disease, etc will end up dying as well. Its a tricky balance but you cannot let the hospitals get overrun. Not only that, but the health care professionals will die in large numbers.

My eyes have been on Sweden this entire time. But that country is very different from larger countries like USA, India, Russia, so its not really comparing apples with apples.
    Here in the uk our Nhs was not at all overwhelmed because lock down worked so well but many thousands of people have not been treated for other serious illnesses which leads to many otherwise preventable deaths.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    It looks like our office won't be reopening this year. We have a (virtual) staff meeting on Monday where I'm expecting that announcement to be made. But even when we do eventually reopen, I've already told my boss that I'm not comfortable coming back to the office full-time until there is a vaccine. I'd be open to one day a week if I needed to make an appearance. He's seems to be cool with that.
    It's confirmed. No employees will be asked to return to our office in 2020. Although the office is open if anyone needs to go in.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    What happened with the vaccine Russia claimed to have developed? They had named it and everything.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    What happened with the vaccine Russia claimed to have developed? They had named it and everything.
    I believe they are going ahead with distribution, but it hasn't passed testing and peer revue. It sounds like something The Man Who Doesn't Really Exist would do.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I believe they are going ahead with distribution, but it hasn't passed testing and peer revue. It sounds like something The Man Who Doesn't Really Exist would do.
    From what I know it did pass phase 1 & 2 testing, but they released it before phase 3 which would never happen here in the U.S. Other than that I have not heard much either way on how things are going with it. Hopefully no news is good news, but this is Russia so information does not exactly flow freely.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    From what I know it did pass phase 1 & 2 testing, but they released it before phase 3 which would never happen here in the U.S. Other than that I have not heard much either way on how things are going with it. Hopefully no news is good news, but this is Russia so information does not exactly flow freely.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN26K0QL
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Dave Sr.

Thanks for posting. As I mentioned before, Russia went ahead and started using the drug before phase 3 trials were completed. This does not mean the drug does not work ( hopefully it does), but no drug would ever be approved in the U.S. until phase 3 trial results were completed and published.

Russia's vaccine is probably just a combination of vodka, bleach, and hydroxychloroquine.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Russia's vaccine is probably just a combination of vodka, bleach, and hydroxychloroquine.
    And to take it you do a shot.

Its homoeopathic - they have thinned a drop of Putins blood a trillion times in a bottle of Jeltzin Vodka.

The negative response to a Russian vaccine is quite predictable. I tend to take a more personal view..just because it's Russian doesn't mean that it's automatically suspect and subject to ridicule. Historically, Russian science has been in the same league as the rest of the world, in some cases ahead...
    Dave Sr.