Page 116 of 235 FirstFirst ... 1666106112113114115116117118119120126166216 ... LastLast
Results 2,876 to 2,900 of 5872

Thread: COVID-19 Coronavirus Information and Discussion

People "worth a lot" always seem to go to the head of the line.
    Even if their worth is based on popularity.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    One of the big concerns is having enough syringes.
    Companies like BD can churn those things out by the tens-of-thousand per day. Last I heard, they have plenty of capacity for increased production.

I bet other organizations do too.
    Regards,

Duncan

They are working on nasal sprays and other forms of 'non puncture' delivery.
    Remember the pneumatic guns? Measles vaccine in 5th grade. Lined up during class for that one.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

So I ended up taking two Covid tests within 24 hours. The first one was the home kit, which is a nostril swab, and the second one (about an hour ago) was a drive-thru (mouth and tongue swab). This works out ok because I've heard that if the home kit swab doesn't make it to the lab (in North Carolina, I believe) within a day then it was all a waste of time. Either way, I won't know until probably early next week (and it didn't cost anything). The drive-thru experience was pretty quick. From the time I drove up to the entrance to the time I'm at the exit was about 10 minutes.
    E-A-T

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Every time I hear talk of a vaccine coming I can't help but think about how "everyone who wants a test can get one". Sure, a private company can rattle off millions of doses, but those still need distributed and administered - not to mention who goes first, if there is such a tier. Even though this happens with the flu, it's on a much smaller scale. I think in a best case scenario, you're talking 3-6 months from the time a legit vaccine is available until 25% of people in the USA are vaccinated.

Does anyone have a differing point of view on the outcome here?
    I can only speak of the vaccine that we make, but I think you are about right in your assessment. Right now our goal is to have 8 Million doses manufactured by the end of the year. There is a government protocol as to who will get it first, but I do not have that information.

One of the big concerns is having enough syringes.
    Yup, just like PPE when this all started you have to have delivery devices along with the vaccine itself.

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    They are working on nasal sprays and other forms of 'non puncture' delivery.
    Remember the pneumatic guns? Measles vaccine in 5th grade. Lined up during class for that one.
    I think eventually we will probably have those things, but to begin with it will be a traditional injection. Most likely 2 of them done at different times.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Companies like BD can churn those things out by the tens-of-thousand per day. Last I heard, they have plenty of capacity for increased production.

I bet other organizations do too.
    Who is BD?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Who is BD?
    Becton, Dickinson,

AFAIK they are the world's largest manufacturer of medical syringes.

Every diabetic I've ever known takes their shots with a BD syringe.
    Regards,

Duncan

My mother who is still in quarantine in her senior facility, test positive again with her second test approximately 10 days after her initial test. She was sick with mostly intestinal issues for three days but is much improved. She will be tested again in a few days.

It seems that Jetguns, the pneumatic injectors, are not in use with people much anymore.
    Veterinary use only.
    They were a vector for Hepatitis C when used on military recruits in the Vietnam draft period.
    Not as big an issue with grade schoolers in the 60's.

When I have gotten flu vaccines at the pharmacy they have syringes with self retracting needles. Better sharps control.
    Probably too costly for mass inoculations.
    -- Aristotle

It seems that Jetguns, the pneumatic injectors, are not in use with people much anymore.
    Veterinary use only.
    They were a vector for Hepatitis C when used on military recruits in the Vietnam draft period.
    In Navy boot camp in the mid 80s, we'd line up for our inoculations. At the first stop, 2 corpsmen would use a pneumatic injector in both arms simultaneously. Then the next stop, 2 more corpsmen would inject in a different part of each arm.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Becton, Dickinson,

Ahh.....ok, I have heard of them, but not really familiar.

Veterinary use only.

When I have gotten flu vaccines at the pharmacy they have syringes with self retracting needles. Better sharps control.
    Probably too costly for mass inoculations.
    Yes, the pre-filled syringes are getting more and more popular. We do not do those at our plant, and our vaccine will not be done that way, but many vaccines are these days.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Orange people first.
    Nah, I don't think he will have much say. It will probably be high risk people and medical workers first, then move down from there.

Becton, Dickinson,

I work for a mail order pharmacy. We used BD exclusively until last year. We still have some BD product, but the bulk of it is now from HTL Strefa.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Nah, I don't think he will have much say. It will probably be high risk people and medical workers first, then move down from there.
    Don't forget the millionaire athletes.

So, apparently, there's a shortage of vinegar. I went to two stores and could not find something as simple as apple cider vinegar (bare shelves), except for the organic variety that costs five times as much and last 1/5 as long.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Ember
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    I work for a mail order pharmacy. We used BD exclusively until last year. We still have some BD product, but the bulk of it is now from HTL Strefa.
    Hey, I was wondering. My (many critical) “mail order” meds come via FedEx. Do any of the major providers actually use USPS? The current attack on the post office is very worrisome for many reasons; is that actually one of them?

Don't forget the millionaire athletes.

Sg.
    Good point. That shouldn't happen, but probably will.

COVID-19 Coronavirus Information and Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    In Navy boot camp in the mid 80s, we'd line up for our inoculations. At the first stop, 2 corpsmen would use a pneumatic injector in both arms simultaneously. Then the next stop, 2 more corpsmen would inject in a different part of each arm.
    I was Air Force in 1980. They did it the same way. The funny thing was all the big dudes fainting and hitting the ground. One guy jerked & the pressure ripped a big gash in his shoulder muscle. Bled a lot.
    Ah, the good old days!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rdclark
    Hey, I was wondering. My (many critical) “mail order” meds come via FedEx. Do any of the major providers actually use USPS? The current attack on the post office is very worrisome for many reasons; is that actually one of them?
    I don't know about mail-order medicines, but many major and minor shippers for most any product still use USPS, unless they have a beneficial contract with FedEx or UPS. I recently ordered some media supplies from nearby California. Usually their shipments take two days to get here. This time it took a week. I noticed they had sent it USPS Media Mail, which is cheaper for them, even though my invoice said they were using USPS Priority Mail. I can't complain. It got here and they didn't charge extra for the shipping, nor promise overnight delivery. I know shipping is included in the price, and shop accordingly.

Just got some bills and noticed one of them included a line with date the bill was sent. They never did that before, so I guess they are expecting sloth from the post office, and want to be sure they can blame any lateness on the customer. Shame to see something as good as the postal service (once envied by other nations) ruined by party politics, but that's where we are. I don't think the little orange man thought this through, because he is screwing his beloved businesses as much as he is screwing voters. What are business owners going to think when bill payments are late arriving due to an intentionally slow post office?
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    What are business owners going to think when bill payments are late arriving due to an intentionally slow post office?
    They're going to follow the law. Which dictates that it's your fault for not paying the bill early enough for the payment to get there on time - even if that would have required paying the bill before you got it - and they will act accordingly by tacking on late fees, or canceling services for non-payment, or evicting you. What do you think they'd do? They have a responsibility to their stockholders, after all.

Ember
    Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I don't know about mail-order medicines, but many major and minor shippers for most any product still use USPS
    Sure, and it's a growing problem, but most items are not as critical as prescription medications, which is why I asked.

BTW, USPS has a service called "Informed Delivery" you can sign up for that shows scanned images of mail items scheduled for delivery. It can help you track what's delayed, mis-delivered or missing.

Result from the home test kit was emailed this morning. Covid not detected. Still waiting for results of the drive-thru test.

Ember
    We are getting a lesson in what "that government is best which governs least" looks like in practice.

Also a lesson in the difference between government and exercise of power.