Page 115 of 235 FirstFirst ... 1565105111112113114115116117118119125165215 ... LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,875 of 5872

Thread: COVID-19 Coronavirus Information and Discussion

Ember
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    So the question is: should I go to work?
    Back in the before times, going to work when possibly contagious, even with a cold or standard flu, was supposed to be anti-social, and frowned upon by most employers.

What's changed? (He asked innocently.)

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    That's sucks. Sorry to hear that Vic. I imagine it's probably pretty scary and stressful to be put into quarantine. I hope you're managing this okay.
    Thanks. I'm okay. Gonna make a big pot of chicken soup anyway. I make soups from scratch often, not because I think I'm sick.

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    Back in the before times, going to work when possibly contagious, even with a cold or standard flu, was supposed to be anti-social, and frowned upon by most employers.

What's changed? (He asked innocently.)
    Yeah, I remember those times. I wonder if some employees at my job are feeling some pressure from their supervisors to GET TO WORK!!! I ask people sometimes why they come to the office and there are usually 2 or 3 standard answers. 1) The technical challenges (they still have trouble connecting to VPN. No matter how many times you explain it they're still lost). 2. They can't work with screaming kids and barking dogs. 3) They just "need to get outta the house."

Really, what blows my mind is the Covidiots at my job, in their 40s and 50s, who are obese, and I see them congregating without masks. Otoh, I see a lot of 20 and 30 somethings masked all the time. So covidiots aren't just young people having wild pool parties.
    E-A-T

I work with a number of people who truly believe that this virus will disappear just like the Covidiot in chief says after the fall election.

God save us, because we sure can't save ourselves!

So here's another side of this whole thing: last night I had a really bad headache and along with some praying to the porcelain goddess (albeit extremely brief). It kinda felt like a migraine, but not a really bad one. Usually with migraines, if I so much as move my head a couple inches, it feels liek someone violenting shaking my head. I didn't have that last night.

This morning, I still had the headache a little bit, but so far not too bad. At first when I got out of bed, I kinda sort of felt the migraine "violently shaking my head" thing, but just a very little bit, but that seems to have gone away. And I'm not nauseous this morning.

So the question is: should I go to work? At my other job, my old one, on Sunday, they made me watch this "E-learning" thing on the computer, which stipulated that if you feel sick, evne just a little bit, you should stay home. If you were sick in the last couple days, but now "you're feeling better", you should say home. The thing is, I'm not sure if my symptoms constitute being sick enough to stay home. Under normal circumstances, I'd just go to work, I feel fine, but I'm not sure what to do with this.
    Our company policy right now is if you are at all sick you should stay home. The plant I work at is huge (over 2000 employees at the site), so we actually have a small clinic on site. If anyone calls in sick and have any COVID symptoms they have to call the clinic, but even if you have non-COVID symptoms, the policy is to stay home. Of course your work situation may be different.

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    I work with a number of people who truly believe that this virus will disappear just like the Covidiot in chief says after the fall election.

God save us, because we sure can't save ourselves!
    There are some of those people pretty much everywhere unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    The result of a 40-year campaign of anti-intellectualism.
    As witnessed by the first few pages of this thread....hoarding of toilet paper and water for a virus.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Don't worry anymore...

Putin-vaccine.jpg

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    The very same employers who can't be bothered to pay you a decent wage and/or let you work a sufficient number of hours whereby you can actually afford to take a day off. People think it's an act of self centered-ness or whatever, but the reason people go to work when they have a cold or whatever is because they literally can't afford to take the day off.

My gut feeling was that it was, as I said, just a mild migraine. I figured, I've got the bus pass already, I can go into work, explain it to my manager, and let him make the decision. He let me work, so that's that. Maybe I should have stayed home, but then how many days am I supposed to stay home? One day? Two days? Do I do the full 14 day quarantine thing? That might be nice if you have a "nice" job with good benefits where you get some kind of sick pay. I don't have that. If I call in sick, I don't get paid for that day. Period. The point is, I didn't feel like dren this morning, so I felt I was ok, and my manager agreed with me.

The very same employers who can't be bothered to pay you a decent wage and/or let you work a sufficient number of hours whereby you can actually afford to take a day off. People think it's an act of self centered-ness or whatever, but the reason people go to work when they have a cold or whatever is because they literally can't afford to take the day off.

My gut feeling was that it was, as I said, just a mild migraine. I figured, I've got the bus pass already, I can go into work, explain it to my manager, and let him make the decision. He let me work, so that's that. Maybe I should have stayed home, but then how many days am I supposed to stay home? One day? Two days? Do I do the full 14 day quarantine thing? That might be nice if you have a "nice" job with good benefits where you get some kind of sick pay. I don't have that. If I call in sick, I don't get paid for that day. Period. The point is, I didn't feel like dren this morning, so I felt I was ok, and my manager agreed with me.
    Unless I was puking my guts out I always went to work. I just took two extra handkerchiefs.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Unless I was puking my guts out I always went to work. I just took two extra handkerchiefs.
    I do most of the time, too, unless I have a really really bad migraine (though typically, they only hit when I'm already at work). A couple times my back acted up and I had to call in, but that's about it.

I'm so glad and lucky to have a home-based business. Of course, I haven't had a paid vacation or sick day since 2008, but still.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Ember
    Yeah, it’s very difficult for hourly workers. I was lucky in so many ways: Salaried through most of my career; alone in a room where there was nobody to infect; married to a nurse who could evaluate how sick I really was.

Privileged on so many levels. Still am, as a retiree with a (theoretically) reliable income who can just avoid all outside contact. I ordered a box of 50 disposable masks in April and still have most of them.

Our former CEO was a germaphobe. If you so much as had the sniffles you were encouraged to stay home. We also have a very small staff of only 20 people, so one illness can (and has) crippled the company. A few years ago, we had a company lunch in a downtown hotel on a Friday. By Monday 17 of our 20 staff were home sick with a norovirus.

That culture of staying home when you're sick has carried over to our new leadership team. They aren't quite as sensitive as the old CEO, but we are still encouraged to stay home when sick. If Covid has taught us anything, it's taught us that every person in the company is capable of working from home if necessary. I consider myself very lucky to work in this environment. Although the downside is that it's hard to be home sick and not do some work if I'm able, where I used to be able to just sit and watch cartoons all day.

Our company was hell about getting off. It got to where if you take a sick day it took one day off your vacation days. If you marked off for any reason, unless death in the family, you were automatically marked back up to work the next day. And if you needed another day, it wasn't always easy to get in touch with the people to mark off again because they were in a call center 1,000 miles away. I swear I thought they had called ID too so they could avoid called or at least it felt that way. So... work sick.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Don't worry anymore...

Putin-vaccine.jpg
    Releasing a vaccine without phase 3 clinical trials being conducted is pretty reckless IMO. We will probably have a U.S. vaccine not too far down the road, but it will have gone through all of the trials.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Our former CEO was a germaphobe. If you so much as had the sniffles you were encouraged to stay home. We also have a very small staff of only 20 people, so one illness can (and has) crippled the company. A few years ago, we had a company lunch in a downtown hotel on a Friday. By Monday 17 of our 20 staff were home sick with a norovirus.

That culture of staying home when you're sick has carried over to our new leadership team. They aren't quite as sensitive as the old CEO, but we are still encouraged to stay home when sick. If Covid has taught us anything, it's taught us that every person in the company is capable of working from home if necessary. I consider myself very lucky to work in this environment. Although the downside is that it's hard to be home sick and not do some work if I'm able, where I used to be able to just sit and watch cartoons all day.
    There is a very big difference here, but I'm not sure I can say what it is and still follow the guidelines of the site.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Releasing a vaccine without phase 3 clinical trials being conducted is pretty reckless IMO. We will probably have a U.S. vaccine not too far down the road, but it will have gone through all of the trials.
    Every time I hear talk of a vaccine coming I can't help but think about how "everyone who wants a test can get one". Sure, a private company can rattle off millions of doses, but those still need distributed and administered - not to mention who goes first, if there is such a tier. Even though this happens with the flu, it's on a much smaller scale. I think in a best case scenario, you're talking 3-6 months from the time a legit vaccine is available until 25% of people in the USA are vaccinated.

Does anyone have a differing point of view on the outcome here?
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

This is almost certainly true, though it may take longer. There are efforts right now to determine who would get initial doses- first responders, doctors, etc. There will not be enough for all.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Unfortunately, "working from home" doesn't work in food service.

People of certain age might remember lining up to receive polio vaccine. Sabin on Sunday, a sugar cube with a drop of the stuff. We went to a high School for it.
    Back then, I guess it was a scary thing that could infect any child or adult at random. For years. The vaccine was a good thing. Then.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    People of certain age might remember lining up to receive polio vaccine. Sabin on Sunday, a sugar cube with a drop of the stuff. We went to a high School for it.
    Back then, I guess it was a scary thing that could infect any child or adult at random. For years. The vaccine was a good thing. Then.
    I remember those sugar cubes. It's the other ones I don't recall so clearly.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Unfortunately, "working from home" doesn't work in food service.
    No, it doesn't. I work in an industry where I can work from home, and the technology of virtual meetings has made that even easier. I am very aware that not everyone has this luxury. That's one of the reasons that I consider myself lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Every time I hear talk of a vaccine coming I can't help but think about how "everyone who wants a test can get one". Sure, a private company can rattle off millions of doses, but those still need distributed and administered - not to mention who goes first, if there is such a tier. Even though this happens with the flu, it's on a much smaller scale. I think in a best case scenario, you're talking 3-6 months from the time a legit vaccine is available until 25% of people in the USA are vaccinated.

Does anyone have a differing point of view on the outcome here?
    There is some precidence for this. During the H1N1 pandemic, when a vaccine became available there was a tiered system in Canada. The first round was healthcare workers and first responders. The second round was children and high risk individuals (I had to show them my asthma medication and they checked the label against my driver's license). The third stage was everyone else. They set up public clinics here and people lined up for hours.

There was a huge controversy when some NHL players and their families were given priority over some of the high risk groups, among a vaccine shortage.

My guess is that it will take a very long time to vaccinate everyone that wants to be vaccinated. It will happen in ebbs and flows based on how quickly the vaccine can be produced. And then even longer still for the virus to reach acceptable levels as there are a lot of people who will refuse the vaccine.