Page 111 of 235 FirstFirst ... 1161101107108109110111112113114115121161211 ... LastLast
Results 2,751 to 2,775 of 5872

Thread: COVID-19 Coronavirus Information and Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    ...what I want to know is what the plan is when somebody tests positive or was in contact with whomever whenever. How can they possibly monitor this? Insane.
    There is a phone app in Canada that was released last week that anonymously tracks your contact with other phones that have the app installed. If someone with the app tests positive, they can input the positive outcome in the app and, if you've been in contact with that person for more than 15 minutes at one time, it will alert your phone that you've had a possible exposure. The app relies on people installing it, using it, and putting positive tests into it. I'm not sure how successful it will be, as I don't know many people that have installed it. Although it's early days. I haven't installed it yet, but I probably will.

More info at this link if you're curious about how it works. https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...vid-alert.html

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    My district still hasn't released their plans, but what I want to know is what the plan is when somebody tests positive or was in contact with whomever whenever. How can they possibly monitor this? Insane.
    In civilized countries, testing and monitoring are possible. In the US, not a chance.

Our school district is offering a choice to (1) continue online schooling, as the interrupted last semester was, or (2) to go to a hybrid system at school two days a week and at home online three days. It is up to the parents to make this decision for their children. I know my child responds much better to classroom instruction and one-on-one time with teachers when she struggles. She also misses seeing her friends. If I try to protect her health by keeping her at home, she will surely learn less and maybe not graduate. If I go with the hybrid system, there is a chance she will catch Covid, and/or bring it home to her aging parents. And one has to wonder how much of this pressure to reopen schools is coming from educators, and how much from the covidiots in Washington DC. I'm pretty sure I know which of those weighs in at 100%. Is the life of my only child too much to ask to benefit Wall Street and continued authoritarianism? Whether or not she graduates, will there be any jobs? Ever? Will college become affordable?

One of the stipulations for the hybrid system is that we take her temperature before sending her to school on a bus where social distancing is impossible. We don't have one of those magic electronic thermometers that tell if you have a fever by aiming and pushing a button. We have an analog oral thermometer. It's difficult enough to get our student out the door on time without waiting for the mercury to rise in the glass.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I had one of those recurring dreams last night where I worked at an ad agency (I used to) and came back after missing a long absence (for some unknown reason) and unable to find my workspace. This is the part that always seems to play a role in my dream. Except for this one, we were in COVID and nobody was wearing masks. The fear was real. I woke up very relieved.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    One of the stipulations for the hybrid system is that we take her temperature before sending her to school on a bus where social distancing is impossible.
    Well, IMHO, that should ABSOLUTELY NOT be required only at home. It should be required at the school entrance, as well. Who in their right mind will rely on every parent complying and not just pushing their kid out of the house when 30% of the US is selfish, ignorant and plain stupid?

No thanks.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Our provincial government has put out a "Good Times Guide", aimed at younger people. It's a novel idea in tackling the novel coronavirus. Seems like the message's assumption is younger people are going to gather and be stupid. At least this points them to be stupid responsibly.

https://goodtimes.gov.bc.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Who in their right mind will rely on every parent complying and not just pushing their kid out of the house when 30% of the US is selfish, ignorant and plain stupid?
    It's pretty easy to figure that percentage these days, ain't it?

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I received notice today that staff will return to work in September and October at 25% and that remote work will be the rule for the overwhelming majority of staff for the long term (until a vacine, I guess).
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I think it's realistic to expect the first quarter of many school years to be postponed with next summer being in-session.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Well, IMHO, that should ABSOLUTELY NOT be required only at home. It should be required at the school entrance, as well. Who in their right mind will rely on every parent complying and not just pushing their kid out of the house when 30% of the US is selfish, ignorant and plain stupid?

No thanks.
    I wasn't even thinking what the ignorant 30% might do. I thought, like you, that taking the temperature at the school entrance would be more efficient. Not that I would wish exposure on the school nurse. I'm happy to do what I can at home, but we lack modern health equipment. Won't really matter if school ends up being like this:

First day of school in a Georgia town.
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

^^ That photo is truly horrifying.

Denmark: "They" are talking about using mask when using public transport should be mandatory.
    "They" have talked about it for at least a week, but I think mentally it's a no go here.
    The mask are way too expensive, and I biked by a public bus today and checked thorugh the windows.
    Perhaps 30 passengers and no masks.

We will see.
    I think the corona crisis will linger on...perhaps for years.

^ I get free masks at work. I buy masks at the grocery store too.

For a long time, you could not get (single-use surgical) masks here at all. The only people that had them either knew someone in health care, or got them online, I guess. Recently some became available in a few of our stores. They seem to cost $1 to $2 (US) each and are sold in boxes of 20 or 30 or 50, I think. I wouldn't mind having some, but I would like to try one out for fit (I have never worn a surgical mask) before committing to buying a case. So far I haven't had the chance. I recognize that the longest you could wear one without throwing it away would be one day. So I wouldn't wear one every day due to the expense, but would continue to use homemade masks (my wife learned to make them watching youtube videos) or a bandana (a western favorite of train robbers and highwaymen) most days (every time we go out since the pandemic started), because they are washable and probably work reasonably well.

Who knew that sports and Covid were so closely linked!

You gotta watch this

Be sure to turn on the captions.

Regards,

Duncan

^^ Amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post

You gotta watch this

That one has been around for quite a while, but still really funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post

You gotta watch this

Great !

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Denmark: "They" are talking about using mask when using public transport should be mandatory.
    "They" have talked about it for at least a week, but I think mentally it's a no go here.
    The mask are way too expensive, and I biked by a public bus today and checked thorugh the windows.
    Perhaps 30 passengers and no masks.

We will see.
    I think the corona crisis will linger on...perhaps for years.
    Wow, in the Toronto area (Canada) masks are mandatory on all public transportation and all indoor public spaces. In the region that I live in, just outside of Toronto, they've even made masks mandatory in lobbies and elevators of apartment buildings and condos, considering those areas as public spaces. If you want to enter a store, the store owner can legally refuse you service if you aren't wearing a mask (although I bet that most don't refuse because they need the business and don't want the conflict).

spellbound
    For a long time, you could not get (single-use surgical) masks here at all. The only people that had them either knew someone in health care, or got them online, I guess. Recently some became available in a few of our stores. They seem to cost $1 to $2 (US) each and are sold in boxes of 20 or 30 or 50, I think. I wouldn't mind having some, but I would like to try one out for fit (I have never worn a surgical mask) before committing to buying a case. So far I haven't had the chance. I recognize that the longest you could wear one without throwing it away would be one day. So I wouldn't wear one every day due to the expense, but would continue to use homemade masks (my wife learned to make them watching youtube videos) or a bandana (a western favorite of train robbers and highwaymen) most days (every time we go out since the pandemic started), because they are washable and probably work reasonably well.
    For a long time masks and hand sanitizer were near impossible to find here. Back in May I ordered 6 750ml bottles of hand sanitizer from a medical supply company and gave them out to my family. These are bottles that might have cost me $6 or $7 dollars pre-covid and I paid more than double that. But you do what you feel you have to do to keep your loved ones safe - like the container of Clorox wipes I ordered online that cost me $10 plus $10 for shipping. Now hand sanitizer is available everywhere and you can buy a one gallon jug at Costco (still can't find Clorox or Lysol wipes though).

Disposable masks are pretty easy to find now too. They run, on average, about a buck a mask ($CDN) depending where you buy them and the quality. I paid $37 for a box of 50. I keep a few in the glovebox of my car in case I forget to take a reusable mask with me. Since the virus can't live without a host, I reuse the disposable masks, but I rotate them so that the same mask won't be used twice in the same week. Mostly I wear washable face coverings.

My husband was told today that he'll be working from home for the balance of 2020, at least. My CEO has not even mentioned us returning to the office. I'm mentally preparing to be home for the rest of the year. Which is totally fine with me. I don't miss going into the office at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    My husband was told today that he'll be working from home for the balance of 2020, at least. My CEO has not even mentioned us returning to the office. I'm mentally preparing to be home for the rest of the year. Which is totally fine with me. I don't miss going into the office at all.
    You don't miss hour long commutes in heavy traffic? I don't either.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    You don't miss hour long commutes in heavy traffic? I don't either.
    LOL! My commute isn't that bad. About a half hour in rush hour and 15 minutes if I can travel outside of rush hour. What I don't miss is having to put on make-up, dress in work clothes, and wear shoes. I know that make-up isn't something that you guys worry about, but I haven't put make-up on since mid-March. I've also lost weight from home-made lunches every day and not eating out in 4.5 months. .

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    LOL! My commute isn't that bad. About a half hour in rush hour and 15 minutes if I can travel outside of rush hour. What I don't miss is having to put on make-up, dress in work clothes, and wear shoes. I know that make-up isn't something that you guys worry about, but I haven't put make-up on since mid-March. I've also lost weight from home-made lunches every day and not eating out in 4.5 months. .
    That's great about the weight loss. I've actually (unfortunately) put on weight - ordering out 3 or 4 times a week (Skip the Dishes!). I can still relate to the routine, quick bath, shave, work clothes. Rushing out the door into the car - I hate the commute but it's still pretty convenient. From my garage to the work garage.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    For a long time masks and hand sanitizer were near impossible to find here.
    My wife keeps a bottle of hand sanitizer in the car. Think she must have bought it pre-plague. It's a life saver for me, because I will exit a market and drive off without thinking to clean my hands. Immediately I spot the sanitizer on the console, point the nozzle at my hand, sanitizer splatters everywhere in the car, and I'm good to go.

...with unexplained thoughts of a Russian hotel room.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    That's great about the weight loss. I've actually (unfortunately) put on weight - ordering out 3 or 4 times a week (Skip the Dishes!).
    I've heard that from a lot of people. We have made a concerted effort not to order in although we have ordered the occasional pizza. I really love to cook, so I'll cook one or two big things on the weekend that we can divvy up and freeze. Do that for a few weekends and you end up with a freezer full of fresh healthy meals. We are snacking on more junk food that we should be. We used to never have chips in the house. When Covid hit, we decided to treat ourselves to some comfort chips, which has now grown into a bad habit.