Page 10 of 235 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060110 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 Coronavirus Information and Discussion

The UK policy is to allow us to build up herd immunity by letting the populace interact to some extent and so catch the virus. Of course there will be collateral damage, but I suppose their modelling shows this will be no worse overall. However most sporting bodies cancelled events (football, rugby, cricket, London marathon) and so it seems there will be a u-turn in policy and crowds of over 500 will be banned centrally. Schools and colleges are to remain open.

On the news last night they featured a company that has a simple home test kit going through approval that looks for the presence of corona antibodies. We could all self test if this can get rolled out. The target was within three weeks. I would like to know whether I have been though a mild dose and have immunity. I’ve had a very persistent cough for ten days, never felt very bad, and today it seems like I have mostly shaken it off. it would be great if I now have some immunity and can get on with life and no be a risk to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Denmarks borders for Norway, Sweden, Germany are closed from tomorrow to april 13.
    At the airport you will be asked to return.
    It will kill what left of hotel, accommodation and event business - with no positive effect what so ever.
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

I have Corona Fatigue. The last 3 days have been kinda nuts. Since Wednesday it's been kind of overwhelming. I've had a migraine for 3 days. Well, this morning it finally eased up. And in a while I'm heading to the grocery store. I think I feel that migraine returning.

https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2020/0...rona-medicine/

Confirmed by my brother who works at Erasmus MC

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2020/0...rona-medicine/

Confirmed by my brother who works at Erasmus MC
    I saw an interview with the guy who spear-headed the AIDs vaccine development. He stated that they are exploring a number of antibodies that can be effective. Many of these have ample supplies and have already been well-tested for other uses. So, they are not beginning from scratch. But, even if they find the so-called magic bullet, it's still months and months of development and testing. He said for this pandemic, we'll simply have to ride it out with what we have and hope to be better-equipped for the next strain or a return of this one.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    John E. Williams' Stoner.
    Thanks for the suggestion (and thanks Munster too, I don't know how to make multiple quotes in one post.)
    I guess France is heading toward more radical confinement measures in the coming week, so there is indeed some good reading ahead, if my eyes are not burnt out on screen reading.

Why do we have this thread if all critical relevant information keeps getting censored. The one thing I respected about Sean was years ago he said PE would not censor people.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Why do we have this thread if all critical relevant information keeps getting censored. The one thing I respected about Sean was years ago he said PE would not censor people.
    Screenshot it or it didn't happen...

Hmm, we've seen numerous instances of censorship. It's a private forum. They've gone on record a number of times to point that out. The can remove what they want.

This is not your only place for info.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Just closed the local public schools for two weeks. We're in Western PA, and while there are a few dozen cases in PA, none are in this half of the state. We're only 50 miles from Ohio.
    Yep. Here too....my district is closed starting Monday. Ulster, Orange, and Dutchess all pulled the plug yesterday. New York state has not (yet), and I think its because of the NYC schools.

Way to highlight the lack of affordable childcare, America!

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Way to highlight the lack of affordable childcare, America!
    On Wednesday I heard you can pick up a weeks worth of meals for your kids. Now if you work and you have a sitter who doesn't drive you don't get your meals.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Went to the grocery store for the first time in a while, because we were out of food at home. They had a very tall wooden barricade around the entire meat counter. The butchers were occasionally bringing out plastic-wrapped pieces of meat and fish and putting them in nearby coolers. Very little was left to buy. I overheard one butcher say she couldn't grind up beef for hamburger meat because it sold out so fast. They had none available to buy. Mostly, whatever you hoped to find was not there and you had to settle for something else. But they weren't out of everything. It was still a functioning supermarket. I don't think the store had any toilet paper. We didn't go there for that, but weird to see it sold out to the empty shelf. Is diarrhea really one of the symptoms? If it is, do you need 15 cases? I'm hoping these people who are buying up all the meat have big freezer, else they're buying it to watch it spoil. Didn't see anyone who was obviously sick, but that doesn't mean there weren't carriers. I washed my hands as soon as I got home, and again when we finished putting things away. Aside from necessary trips to buy, but not hoard, food, we are staying home. We're not rich enough to have groceries delivered. Nor are we rich enough to fly anywhere, so people bringing the virus from places they flew to visit, that ain't us. We've never been on a cruise ship, either. My kid's school was already scheduled to be closed for a four-day weekend, but now they say they will spend the time thoroughly cleaning the school, in addition to grading or whatever they had originally planned. They haven't announced a school closure yet.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I just came from the local grocery store, and there was an incident which kinda stuck with me - albeit only a litterbit. Now, my right kidney erupted in 2005 and I bled out but survived, I drowned the following year but was effectively revived, I nearly drowned in 2008 but was rescued, I had a dissection of the brain (i.e. a stroke) in December 2013 and the heaviest pneumonia imaginable in October 2018. So although the situation today is pretty critical and dramatic, I'm not afraid for my own being - I've come to learn how survival is basically a bargain to begin with.

Yet what I saw at the store painted a lil' devil on front. There was a man who simply walked pass the counters, picked up a large case of beer and subsequently tried to leave the shop carrying it under his arm - without paying. And he wasn't drunk and didn't even look like a common criminal; he simply figured no one would care, given the existential circumstances.

The old student anarchist activist in me made a move and a turn, but it didn't help. The younge female cashiers ran after the guy, and I was told to not get involved. And I thought - this is where it begins and ends. We need to find a passage through.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    The old student anarchist activist in me made a move and a turn, but it didn't help. The younge female cashiers ran after the guy, and I was told to not get involved. And I thought - this is where it begins and ends. We need to find a passage through.
    I don't like that story, Richard, but thanks for relating it.

We always have a few weeks of food, either canned, frozen or whatever and I am a good improvisatory cook and I don't feel like going out right now in the middle of the panic and being reminded why I have such a dark view of humanity.

So, I am going to paw through the pantry and make something for dinner and then make a 'Quarantini' (tm) for my wife and myself...
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    and then make a 'Quarantini' (tm) for my wife and myself...
    How much are you charging for the use of 'Quarantini', Steve? I enjoy making up a martini for my wife and I (and also enjoy naming them) on occasion. I'll have to whip up my own Quarantini!

We all need a little lightness within the present darkness.

cheers

Yeah, no paper products whatsoever at the grocery store this morning. No biggie. A 4 pack of Scott lasts me about a month (I live alone). Paper towels I have enough for another week or two. The meat section was bare. No problem, I'll try again tomorrow. I have a big pot of oxtail stew for a couple days and some cans of sardines. I'll see what it's like tomorrow.

Scroll to the bottom and click on the Terms Of Service that everyone agreed to when joining PE.

We WILL censor EVERY political post. That has been PE's position for 20 years.

We cannot allow this place to become another rmp, which was destroyed by pathetic political and religious arguments.

Note : even if a post was only mildly political (e.g. mentioning Trump), you know that half the people here will pick up on that and turn it into a political rant-fest - so those posts have to be nipped in the bud, too
    Regards,

Duncan

This covid-19 pandemi will probably fade out later this year.

And it will return on a regular basis year after year just like influenza.

There will be greater immunological resistance next time (if it hasn't mutated), but older people might still have to take special precautions, and isolate them selves.

In a year or 1½ year there is probably a vaccine, but since it probably mutates like influenza, you cant be sure it works against 'this years corona strain'.

The question is, how much will society/governments pay to secure those around 80 years old - every year ?

Denmark and Norway is closing everything down, borders, hotels, younameit... very expensive.

Sweden and England wants the corona-antibody build up in the population so they do nothing, on the expense of the weak and old people. Cheap. They might even save a lot of pensions...

But - in Sweden and England there might grow a distrust, in spades, from the old and weak people, to the system, their government and the rest of the society.

Especially because this disease will pop up every second year or so...

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Must .... not ..... post ....
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I wish I could post this hilarious pic a friend texted me. It's Indiana Jones discovering the Holy Grail. And the grail is a roll of TP.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Yeah, no paper products whatsoever at the grocery store this morning. No biggie. A 4 pack of Scott lasts me about a month (I live alone). Paper towels I have enough for another week or two. The meat section was bare. No problem, I'll try again tomorrow.
    My wife and I also went to the grocery. Paper products gone other than a few boxes of Kleenex, other stuff also limited, but we should be able to get by. I have Tuesday off from work for a now-cancelled gig so we may try again that day (my office hasn't decided yet what to do next week, but they may have me work from home). The cashier and the person in front of us in line had a good attitude about the situation so my wife enjoyed comparing notes with them.

Spain has now restricted the entire populace to home, save to shop for food or obtain medical care. Everyone.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    This
    Denmark and Norway is closing everything down, borders, hotels, younameit... very expensive.

Sweden and England wants the corona-antibody build up in the population so they do nothing, on the expense of the weak and old people. Cheap. They might even save a lot of pensions...

But - in Sweden and England there might grow a distrust, in spades, from the old and weak people, to the system, their government and the rest of the society.
    Zeuhlmate - I can't speak for Denmark, but in Norway we are doing what we are doing because a) lessons from other countries, like Italy and China has taught us that it is necessary, b) because it is the responsible and moral thing to do and c) because we can afford it.