Page 43 of 133 FirstFirst ... 333940414243444546475393 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 3315

Thread: Vintage TV thread

^^^
    My father's name was Hymie!
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    ^^^
    My father's name was Hymie!
    Hymie was also the guy who ran the fence in Hot Stuff, that Jerry Reed, Dom DeLuise, Suzanne Pleshette and Luis Alavos take over to nab crooks trying to sell their stolen goods.
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 10-13-2020 at 02:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Top Cat, like the Flintstones, was, in fact, a prime time show. They were both made for TV. If Bugs Bunny cartoons, originally made for theatrical release, were shown in primetime, it would have been a local station doing it. It was never network prime time, that I know of. Now, there were the Saturday morning network broadcasts, which were a mix of theatrical and made-for-TV shorts.
    The Bugs Bunny Show (with the "This Is It" theme song) was on ABC prime time 1960-62 before moving to a Saturday morning slot.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    The Bugs Bunny Show (with the "This Is It" theme song) was on ABC prime time 1960-62 before moving to a Saturday morning slot.
    Huh, I never knew that. But then, I wasn't around in the early 60's. At least, I don't think I was.

Learn something new every day.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Albeit with edited versions of the theatrical releases. I remember when I was a kid and I'd see those versions on the Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Hour I'd notice how choppily edited they were. Thankfully you can get the original length versions on disc since then.

And Curly is working in a hair salon and he cracked a couple of raw eggs in a woman's hair.....

Watching "Devil Doll" on MeTV. There's a group called Devil Doll...

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Watching "Devil Doll" on MeTV. There's a group called Devil Doll...
    There's been at least a couple groups called Devil Doll. There was an Italian art rock band back in the 90's, but there's also an American punkabilly group called Devil Doll.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    There's been at least a couple groups called Devil Doll. There was an Italian art rock band back in the 90's, but there's also an American punkabilly group called Devil Doll.
    And there's Devil Dogs by Drakes Cakes.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    And there's Devil Dogs by Drakes Cakes.
    My late father-in-law used to tell of when his mother-in-law was learning English when she first came to America from Belorussia - they drove past a Drakes Cakes billboard and she exclaimed “Ah Dra kess Ka kess!”

Rick "Disco Duck" Dees on tonight's Roseanne rerun.

Rick "Disco Duck" Dees on tonight's Roseanne rerun.
    Well, there's a reason not to watch.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Banned
    Well, there's a reason not to watch.
    What are you talking about, man? This thing rocks the duck out of any other video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sysgZabVlZw

My brain is bleeding. That video definitely belongs in the "worst of all time" thread.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

I've been watching the old British series, Tales of the Unexpected, an anthology series like Twilight Zone or Thriller, etc. Various recognizable older actor appear on many of the episodes. Rod Taylor was in one I watched recently. If you have Roku, Tubi TV you can see them there, and there are some on Youtube.

Watching M*A*S*H. The early eps with Trapper and Henry Blake. I'm more of Potter, Charles Emerson Winchester The Turd fan but the early years were pretty hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Watching M*A*S*H. The early eps with Trapper and Henry Blake. I'm more of Potter, Charles Emerson Winchester The Turd fan but the early years were pretty hilarious.
    I am the opposite. I'll take those early seasons over any of them. Once Frank Burns left, that was the beginning of the end. Not much of a BJ fan, but Frank makes up for it.

Wasn't much of a BJ fan either but Frank was unbearable. Never understood what Margaret saw in him. She was a hot piece of ass...

I am the opposite. I'll take those early seasons over any of them. Once Frank Burns left, that was the beginning of the end. Not much of a BJ fan, but Frank makes up for it.
    Frank was funny, but one one dimensional. That's why Larry Linville left, because he felt there was nothing else he could do with the character.

I thought Winchester was a more interesting character. He was a pompous ass, but there was more to him than that. In one episode he delivers Xmas gifts to the orphanage, under the proviso that the nuns don't tell anyone. He also in one episode he speaks of his envy of Hawkeye's relationship with his dad. And so on.

For me, the show really started going sideways when Radar got sent home. There were still good episodes here and there after that, but those were mostly ones where they weren't doing the normal sitcom thing, e.g. the one where they're all having weird dreams caused by overwork in the OR. But I just didn't dig Klinger taking Radar's place, and I just feel like the show as a whole was just tired.

That's one thing I kinda like about how some of my favorite shows got cancelled after just one or two seasons: they didn't get a chance to jump the shark. As much as I wish there was more Max Headroom, I think the show would have gone down the toilet if they hadn't kept "biting the hand that was feeding them" (as one of the writers once gave, years later, as a reason for why the show got cancelled).

Frank was funny, but one one dimensional. That's why Larry Linville left, because he felt there was nothing else he could do with the character. .
    Let me clarify my comment. I'm not suggesting the Frank Burns character had depth or carried the show in any way. But he was the target of his swamp mates and when he left and was replaced by Charles, that dynamic of the show changed.

Charles Emerson Winchester was the Prog-snob of his day.....lol.

The show matured when Potter came in. BJ? His character got tiresome to me. But overall I think the show was better after Henry Blake was gone. Trapper was cool. BJ was sort of a west coast version of Trapper.

Let me clarify my comment. I'm not suggesting the Frank Burns character had depth or carried the show in any way. But he was the target of his swamp mates and when he left and was replaced by Charles, that dynamic of the show changed.
    Oh yes, i agree, the dynamic changed, but I still think it was very good.
    Charles Emerson Winchester was the Prog-snob of his day...
    He was a classical music guy, as I recall. There's one episode where Hawkeye keeps playing the horrendous Rag Mop (another of the reasons rock n roll had to happen), on which Winchester comments, "Those people can neither sing, nor spell".
    The show matured when Potter came in. BJ? His character got tiresome to me. But overall I think the show was better after Henry Blake was gone. Trapper was cool. BJ was sort of a west coast version of Trapper.
    Potter struck me as a more competent leader than Blake. Henry just kinda let Hawkeye and Trapper get away with anything and everything, up to and including punching out Burns. Potter would have dropped the hammer on them if he had been around for that kind of behaviour.

Another story I remember hearing wsa that the reason Wayne Rogers was able to walk away when he did was because he had never actually signed his contract, so he was legally free to get out of Dodge whenever he wanted.

When I watch MASH today, I am not sure how well it has aged. I found it very funny back in the day, but watching it today the laughs seem to be further in between.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    When I watch MASH today, I am not sure how well it has aged. I found it very funny back in the day, but watching it today the laughs seem to be further in between.
    Agreed