Thread: Vintage TV thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    What's the Star Trek connection to Diane Keaton?
    None that I know of, but I don't follow these things closely. Many of the Mannix appearances that Chris listed featured "Star Trek escapees." Who knows if there are more?

Parrots ripped my flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Thought I was missing something.

I'm home. Gonna make a cheese omelet and 3 stooges.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I'm home.
    Where were you?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Where were you?
    At a pub. I make sure I'm home by 6pm on Saturdays. Can't miss the Three.

Adam West was on a Bewitched rerun the other day.

Also, on Leave It To Beaver, Eddie Haskell says he had to stay late after school because the basketball coach liked to consult with him. Oh, is that what they called it in 1960? By the 80's, we were calling it detention.

Also, Eddie tells Wally, "I told you, we gotta stick together, or we'll lose the Cold War against the adults".

I've been lax on posting the notable guest stars on Mannix lately. I do believe I spotted legendary jazz guitarist Barney Kessel backing a singer in an episode a couple weeks ago, there's a bunch of noteworthy people, including Lewis Alcinder (before he changed his name to Kareem Abdul Jabbar, and way before he told that kid "You tell your old man to drag Walton and Lanier up the court for 20 minutes!") and just yesterday, none other than John Vernon. Yes, that's right, Dean Wormer was on Mannix, playing a chief of police.

Eddie Haskel was an LA cop after he retired from acting.....

Could you imagine getting pulled over by him."Gee, Officer Osmond, that's a lovely badge you're wearing."
    "Don't look here. The joke's in your hand."

- Public Restroom Wall

Today's Mannix had appearances from Marc Lawrence and Jay Robinson, each appearing, I think, for the second time. You may remember I said Jay Robinson later played Dr Shrinker, and Marc Lawrence (here playing, what else? A syndicate boss) was attempted to shoot Dom DeLuise in Hot Stuff.

But for me, the real news is the actress playing Jeff Corey's secretary, Nancy. Folks, we have one Carol Bagdasarian playing this role. Hmm....Bagdasarian. You see, I recognize that name. So I did a IMDBing, and found out that my hunch was right. Her father was Ross Bagdasarian Sr. You recognize that name, do you? Yeah, of course you wouldn't, most people don't. But he was an innovator in the use of tape manipulation in pop music. I'm sure all of you have heard at least one recording by Ross or by his son Ross Jr. You guys might know recall his song The Witch Doctor, or the TV show (and associated records) he made where he was joined by three singing rodents (all of them voiced by Ross, of course). Surely, I've given you enough clues that I don't need to tell you his stage name was David Seville!

Laugh if you want, but I recall reading he served honorably as an officer of the law, until he was wounded on the job and was forced to retire.

Both Shelly Fabares and Dean Stockwell appeared on today's Mannix rerun. Shelly you made remember from the Donna Reed Show and then her later roles on One Day At A Time and Coach, or maybe you remember her hit single Johnny Angel (though she claimed she "couldn't sing" and that she had to record the song one line at a time).

Dean Stockwell of course had a long career as an actor both before and after this. You may remember from The Boy With The Green Hair or The Psych Out, or perhaps from Quantum Leap. You may even remember his appearance on Enterprise, which, yes folks, makes him yet another Star Trek escapee (though this Mannix appearance was nearly 30 decades before his Trek turn).

"Sam! Sam! Ziggy is 99.999% sure you've leaped into Joe Mannix's body to prevent him by being murdered by me!"

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Shelly Fabares you made remember from the Donna Reed Show and then her later roles on One Day At A Time and Coach, or maybe you remember her hit single Johnny Angel (though she claimed she "couldn't sing" and that she had to record the song one line at a time).
    Don't forget her Elvis movies, Girl Trouble and the one where Elvis was a race car driver (too lazy to look it up)

Talk about an actress who's looks held up over time.

Yes... "Wanted: Dead or Alive" with Steve McQueen.. And then to "The Rifleman" once I've had enough. Something I like to end my nights with - no surprises. I think it's on MeTV

I just wish I had the DECADES channel. My friend keeps boasting that he saw Mort Sahl (and BB King) on Cavett... If he was a good friend, he'd videotape it and e-mail it to me!

Quote Originally Posted by MortSahlFan View Post

I just wish I had the DECADES channel. My friend keeps boasting that he saw Mort Sahl (and BB King) on Cavett... If he was a good friend, he'd videotape it and e-mail it to me!
    I used to have Decades and watched a lot of the Cavett. He was the best. One of my favorites was his full hour with Hitchcock.
    "Don't look here. The joke's in your hand."

- Public Restroom Wall

Dean Stockwell of course had a long career as an actor both before and after this. You may remember from The Boy With The Green Hair or The Psych Out, or perhaps from Quantum Leap. You may even remember his appearance on Enterprise, which, yes folks, makes him yet another Star Trek escapee (though this Mannix appearance was nearly 30 decades before his Trek turn)
    He was also in one of my favorite episodes of Miami Vice, Bushido, from the second season I believe. He played an old colleague from Castillo's shadowy past who is dying and wants Castillo to help his wife and child.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Don't forget her Elvis movies, Girl Trouble and the one where Elvis was a race car driver (too lazy to look it up)

Talk about an actress who's looks held up over time.
    I can't remember if I've ever seen Girl Trouble or Spin Out. I might have seen them like 40 years ago, when channel 43 used to do "Elvis week" on the Star Movie or whatever, but it's been too long ago. I know I saw a bunch of those movies back then, Frankie And Johnny, GI Blues, Easy Come Easy Go, Fun In Acapulco (which I only know I saw because it's the one with Bossa Nova Baby in it), probaby some of the others I can't remember. I've maybe seen bits and pieces of some of the others since, but the only Elvis movies I've seen in recent years were the two early 70s concert films, Elvis: That's The Way It Is and Elvis On Tour, and really both of those was more about seeing Jerry Scheff, James Burton, and Ron Tutt do their thing than it was to listen to Elvis sing.

Most of the shows starring Scott Bakula had the plug pulled early. Namely Star Trek Enterprise, and NCIS New Orleans. If he's in the Quantum Leap reboot, that won't bode well for the success of the show. And BTW: Donald Bellisario produced both Quantum Leap and NCIS NOLO.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Parrots ripped my flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    My maybe not reliable memory was that Enterprise had the plug pulled when it was still one of the highest rated series on the network that wasn't a sitcom or some reality show junk (cheaper to produce) that the network was emphasizing at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Most of the shows starring Scott Bakula had the plug pulled early. Namely Star Trek Enterprise, and NCIS New Orleans. If he's in the Quantum Leap reboot, that won't bode well for the success of the show. And BTW: Donald Bellisario produced both Quantum Leap and NCIS NOLO.
    Agreed. Although NCIS, New Orleans lasted seven years, I am of the view that only the first 2-3 years were worth the effort. Once they made Pride (Bakula) into an invincible "super-hero", it became very trite and boorish to watch. Also, the writers had him break every law and rule including naming his own team to investigate cases that he couldn't with his regular team, since he was suspended! The Mayor was in his back pocket since he cow-tailed to her and the radical elements in the street. Pure nonsense prevailed, similar to what we see happening in big cities across the nation.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    He also produced Magnum PI.

As for the "plug being pulled early" on everything Scott Bakula did, Enterprise ran for four years, which as Shatner once pointed out, was "a year longer than my show ran". And Quantum Leap ran for five years, I believe.

Marion Ross was on today's Mannix rerun. This makes the second time she's been on Mannix, playing two different characters. That's not unusual, a lot of actors have done it (and some of them more than twice), but the funny thing about it here is both episodes were ones where Joe Mannix went back to his hometown, Summer Grove! IMDB tells me she was in a third episode, I wonder if that one is set in Summer Grove, also.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    My maybe not reliable memory was that Enterprise had the plug pulled when it was still one of the highest rated series on the network that wasn't a sitcom or some reality show junk (cheaper to produce) that the network was emphasizing at the time.
    Viacom/Paramount pulled the plug on the entire Star Trek universe. The public began growing tire of it. And being the top rated show on UPN isn't saying much. That's like being the current #1 band on Myspace Music. And who even remembers the United Paramount Network?

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    Agreed. Although NCIS, New Orleans lasted seven years, I am of the view that only the first 2-3 years were worth the effort. Once they made Pride (Bakula) into an invincible "super-hero", it became very trite and boorish to watch. Also, the writers had him break every law and rule including naming his own team to investigate cases that he couldn't with his regular team, since he was suspended! The Mayor was in his back pocket since he cow-tailed to her and the radical elements in the street. Pure nonsense prevailed, similar to what we see happening in big cities across the nation.
    In the NCIS universe, 7 years isn't that long. The original and Los Angeles, which came before are still on the air.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Laugh if you want, but I recall reading he served honorably as an officer of the law, until he was wounded on the job and was forced to retire.
    I wasn't making fun of him for being a cop, just have this hilarious thought of that wiseass, Eddie Haskel as a cop. The TV character not the actor.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I wasn't making fun of him for being a cop, just have this hilarious thought of that wiseass, Eddie Haskel as a cop. The TV character not the actor.
    It was a great character.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    It was a great character.
    He's legendary.