Thread: Vintage TV thread

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

^ Guffaaaaawwwww......

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Yes, that would be the one.

^ was he really that naive?

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Vic. Dude's wearing a zip up sweater and a bow tie.

I still can't believe I'm seeing Mr. Rogers flipping double birds. Screw me......

Well, he was born in 1928, and he was a Presbyterian Ministry, so I somehow imagine he didn't spend much time around the kind of people who would view that gesture in a different fashion. You know this brings up a funny point, because I now wonder how many kids got smacked or paddled or had their mouths washed out with soap because they saw Fred Rogers doing that on TV, and then repeated it in front of adults or whatever.

Here's the full song, btw:

On Youtube, there's a lot of people suggesting that he knew exactly what he was doing, because of the way he's laughing during that bit.
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 05-15-2020 at 08:13 PM.

But what else could the middle finger mean?

But what else could the middle finger mean?
    Don Meredith joked it means #1 in the nation.

So on today's Mister Rogers' Neighborhood, it plays a synthesizer. It's just a little ARP Soloist, which was already about 10 years out of date by the time this particular episode, from 1980, was made. But I think it's the synth that Johnny Acosta, who was the pianist and celesta player you hear on the show, used occasionally. Unfortunately, Fred just plays a few of the presets, the flute sound (which I think is what Acosta usually used), and the oboe and tuba presets. Then he turns the portamento switch on and does a glissando up and down the keyboard that sounds like a siren. Nothing too impressive, but it was still kinda cool. Too bad he couldn't do it with a Prophet or an ARP Quadra or something like that. THAT would have been fun.

Just saw this on the MeTV site. RIP Ken Osmond (Eddie Haskell). 76 yo.

^^ Bummer
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Just saw this on the MeTV site. RIP Ken Osmond (Eddie Haskell). 76 yo.
    Aw bummer. I literally was watching an episode of LITB this morning and Eddie was giving the Beave the business, as usual. I always thought it was kinda neat that Eddie, Wally, and Beaver all stayed friends and pretty normal & scandal-free in real life, right into their 70s.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    This last weekend on the Decades channel they were playing a Mannix marathon. Halfway decent show early on. Mike Connors was at least a believable action star, unlike network contemporaries Buddy Ebsen (laconic Barnaby Jones) or William Conrad (rotund Frank Cannon). My mother watched Mannix religiously. I rarely paid attention but this weekend watched a handful of episodes. I never noticed what a smoke show his assistant Peggy (Gail Fisher) was.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    This last weekend on the Decades channel they were playing a Mannix marathon. Halfway decent show early on. Mike Connors was at least a believable action star, unlike network contemporaries Buddy Ebsen (laconic Barnaby Jones) or William Conrad (rotund Frank Cannon). My mother watched Mannix religiously. I rarely paid attention but this weekend watched a handful of episodes. I never noticed what a smoke show his assistant Peggy (Gail Fisher) was.
    Mannix always seemed to get shot in the arm.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Mannix always seemed to get shot in the arm.
    And yet Barnaby Jones just seemed to side-step bullets all the time. BJ had his weekend last month. He sure shot and killed a lot of people considering that his actual job was being an insurance investigator.

There were always scenes in Cannon where Frank Cannon is chasing someone down. Of course this illusion is achieved through editing as the man is as wide as he is tall.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    The H&I Channel was showing Mannix...oh I guess it was probably 3 or 4 years ago, and I was watching it at the time. Pretty good show, I thought. I think they only showed it for about a year or two. There were showing Police Woman for awhile too, which I also liked.
    And yet Barnaby Jones just seemed to side-step bullets all the time. BJ had his weekend last month. He sure shot and killed a lot of people considering that his actual job was being an insurance investigator.
    In the real world, psychologists have figured out that for some people there's some of switch inside your mind that won't let you kill someone. So if you're trying to shoot at someone, you end up shooting wide, because your conscience or whatever won't let you harm anyone. Or something like that. I once heard that theory used to explain why the gunmen in all these TV shows and movies are such poor marksmen. I remember in particular it being suggested this why the none of the Imperial Stormtroopers chasing Luke, Han, Leia and Chewbacca in the Death Star seem to be able to hit anyone.

There were always scenes in Cannon where Frank Cannon is chasing someone down. Of course this illusion is achieved through editing as the man is as wide as he is tall.
    Editing and body doubles, the same way that Jon Pertwee was able to to fight during his tenure on Doctor Who, among other things.

Buddy Ebsen and William Conrad were both pretty unbelievable when it came to things like foot chases and such. There's a Cannon episode where Frank Cannon dons scuba gear and goes looking for... I think it was a bicycle that was linked to the particular crime he was investigating. But I think even when I saw it reruns when I was like 10-11 years old, I knew there's no way William Conrad was in the kind of shape needed to swim 50-60 feet or whatever it took to touch bottom in whichever body of water, then bring a bicycle back up to the boat. At least when Barnaby Jones got hired to investigate the death of a scuba diver, his nephew did the actual diving, though there were things in that episode that were, at best, highly unlikely.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Buddy Ebsen and William Conrad were both pretty unbelievable when it came to things like foot chases and such. There's a Cannon episode where Frank Cannon dons scuba gear and goes looking for... I think it was a bicycle that was linked to the particular crime he was investigating. But I think even when I saw it reruns when I was like 10-11 years old, I knew there's no way William Conrad was in the kind of shape needed to swim 50-60 feet or whatever it took to touch bottom in whichever body of water, then bring a bicycle back up to the boat. At least when Barnaby Jones got hired to investigate the death of a scuba diver, his nephew did the actual diving, though there were things in that episode that were, at best, highly unlikely.
    Frank Cannon was also a gourmet type lover of everything food and he was often shown preparing a feast before going out and running down the bad guys.. In other words (per Wiki):

Conrad was an overweight actor, and the series, especially in its early episodes, made frequent and regular mention of Cannon's size and weight. Other characters would often remark critically about this, while he himself would joke self-deprecatingly about his girth and great love of food. Despite his large size he was in apparently good fighting shape, and often bested villains who tried to get physical.

Actually, most all of those 70's and 80's cops and robbers/crime shows required a enormous "suspension of belief" quality for the viewing audience to be able to enjoy the episodes, year after year. As Aristotle so aptly put it; "the audience ignores the unreality of fiction in order to experience catharsis".

Pretty all "crime drama" shows (as TV Guide used to call them) are like that, regardless of era. I can't remember if I've mentioned in this thread, but there's a great episode of Barney Miller, where Yemana mentions he never watches cop shows because of how unrealistic they are. This complainant that he's talking to says "You know, on TV, they always catch the bad guys", and Yemana says, "Good example!".

But yeah, you could drive yourself crazy trying to talk about all the unrealistic stuff on those shows.

But that makes me come back to that episode of Barnaby Jones where they're investigating this diver's murder. So, there's a scene where the nephew goes out on a boat with two other guys, one being another diver who's hired Barnaby, and the guy who turns out to be the murderer. So the idea is they're looking into this sunken plane that the dead guy had found. So they enter the water. After a couple minutes, they find the plane, they're sort of surveying it, and the two divers go in separate directions around the plane.

Anyway, so the killer comes behind the one guy, bonks him on the head with a rock and drowns him (same way he killed the first victim). So eventually, after a minute or so, the nephew finds the other guy's body, brings him up to the surface, and is completely unaware that the other guy on the boat is his now a two timer murderer. Why doesn't he realize it? Because somehow, once the nephew and victim number two are in the water, our killer slips out of his civilian attire, slips into full scuba gear (including a full wetsuit, with hood, gloves, etc), makes his way down to the plane, dispatches victim number two, gets back up to the surface, not only changing out of his gear, but also manages to towel down, blow dry his hair, get back into the clothes he was wearing before, and assume an appropriately calm demeanor, all before the nephew bobs to the surface with the carcass.

OK, let me tell you something from experience, it takes more than a couple minutes to take off a wetsuit, never mind toweling off and drying your hair in time for your charter to not suspect that you should be a suspect.

Then there's all those episodes of Flipper and Baywatch where the episode should have ended with everyone in a decompression chamber, because they've had no surface interval and in fact sometimes go down deeper than they do in the earlier dive, when they get back into the water to save the purpose trapped in the water. And I remember an episode of Flipper where Sandy is supposed to get nitrogen narcosis, a condition that hits you at around 100 feet or deeper. But in the scene, you can clearly see the surface of the water in the background, he's no deeper than like 15, if even that (though once back on the launch, he says it was "more than 150 feet").

Scuba on TV, for decades, you saw divers using none of the appropriate safety equipment, not so much as a depth gauge (so that you don't go too deep) or a tank pressure gauge. And how often do you see divers diving alone on TV? Even people who are supposedly sheriff's deputies or park rangers or others who are supposed to be concerned with safety a good deal more than, say, some treasure hunter or whatever.

But then I guess if your diver is supposed to be murdered, it's kinda hard to do that if they're actually diving with a buddy, like you're supposed to, eh?

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I loved how Police Squad! was a takeoff on all those Quinn Martin Productions shows.

I loved how Police Squad! was a takeoff on all those Quinn Martin Productions shows.
    ]
    Yeah, Police Squad was loads of fun.

BTW, another thing about William Conrad: he was the voice of Marshall Dillon on the radio version of Gunsmoke (he also narrated Rocky & Bullwinkle). I remember when Cannon was being shown in reruns in the 80's, probably on WOR or TBS, my dad commenting that he couldn't believe it when he finally saw what William Conrad looked like. I guess expected him to look something like James Arness or something.

I remember my mom saying she read an interview with him when he was doing Jake And The Fat Man in the late 80's, and apparently, he had made a comment to the effect that since he was playing a D.A. he didn't have to worry about his weight or being clean shaven or whatever, since he wasn't the guy you were supposed to "like", as such.

Banned
    Ah, yes; Police Squad. Even the taxidermy is realistically displayed.

OIP (1).jpg

Shirley, you jest!
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Another "Police Squad" fan here. Very funny show. Leslie Neilson created a whole new comedic career for himself after playing a heavy so many years.

I never warmed up to Leslie Neilson's comedy schtick. There were some funny moments in that movie, though. I never watched the series.