Thread: Vintage TV thread

  1. #651
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I never warmed up to Leslie Neilson's comedy schtick. There were some funny moments in that movie, though. I never watched the series.
    The thing was, up until Airplane! (which totally changed the trajectory of his career), Nielsen (note correct spelling) was more or less a dramatic actor. So being that I was born in 1973, my main exposure to him was via Airplane!, Police Squad, etc. Well, there was Forbidden Planet, but I'm not sure I'd seen that yet when I was 10 or 11. I think I knew that movie at the time more from reading about Robbie The Robot or the "Id Monster" sequence in Starlog.

    Then one day, I found myself watching this movie he did in the late 60's called Dayton's Devils (also starring Lainie Kazan, SSgt Barry Sadler, and Rory Calhoun), and he's delivering all of his dialog with the exact same tone, intonation, cadence, etc as when he was doing comedy. I knew this was a "serious" film, but it was hard to not expect something funny to happen, and of course it never does.

    Of course, I've seen Forbidden Planet many times since then. The scene of the Id monster attacking the crew is still one of my favorite special effects sequences, and Louis and Bebe Barton's "electronic tonalities" still sounding as stunning today as they must have back when the film was made.

  2. #652
    Member Vic2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    La Florida
    Posts
    4,377
    Leslie Neilson was hilarious in an early episode of MASH. He played it straight but he was really funny.

  3. #653
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kalamazoo Michigan
    Posts
    4,031
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I never warmed up to Leslie Neilson's comedy schtick. There were some funny moments in that movie, though. I never watched the series.
    I loved "The Naked Gun" movie. I remember seeing it in a theater and during the scene during the baseball game I laughed so hard I cried. I have seen it since on TV and not thought it was as funny, but I think at the time the character was just so different from anything Neilson had ever done that it had that kind of impact. The movies he did afterwards were not as good for the most part.

  4. #654
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    The thing was, up until Airplane! (which totally changed the trajectory of his career), Nielsen (note correct spelling) was more or less a mediocre dramatic actor.
    Fixed that for ya.

    "Forbidden Planett" is a very cool movie despite him.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

    - Dr. Winston O'Boogie

  5. #655
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post

    "Forbidden Planett" is a very cool movie despite him.
    Well, between Walter Pidgeon, Anne Francis, Robby The Robot, The Id monster, Louis & Bebe Barton, Earl Holliman, and Richard Anderson, you'd have to try really hard to mess a picture like that up!

  6. #656
    cunning linguist 3LockBox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Posts
    1,985
    Forbidden Planet is one of the most Influential movies of all time, taking its
    cues from Shakespeare's The Tempest. Star Trek took a lot of cues from this movie.

  7. #657
    Not necessarily vintage TV, but tonight on TCM, they are showing Rankin & Bass movies, beginning with a personal favorite, "Mad Monster Party."
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

    - Dr. Winston O'Boogie

  8. #658
    Progdog ThomasKDye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Vallejo, CA
    Posts
    689
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    My wife is a major fan of all things Lucy; I Love Lucy, The Lucy Show, Here's Lucy. I appreciate I Love Lucy for its legacy and innovation but her '60s shows sucked. By the time she did Here's Lucy her voice was ravaged by decades of smoking to the point were it was lowered an octave.
    This is very true; the first season of The Lucy Show has its moments, as the Lucille Ball-Vivian Vance chemistry still works. The episode where Lucy and Vivian nearly drown in a shower is amusing and clever. Then it all went to hell, Vivian Vance left, the plots grew increasingly inane, Lucy became more and more unbearable, and - worst of all - Gale Gordon arrived and pretended like he was an adequate foil for Lucy. You never bought that Lucy was in any way intimidated by him. Lucy might as well have worn a cardboard sign saying "Yes, he plays my boss, but I sign the checks around here."

    What I find amusing is that the very last episode of Here's Lucy - "Lucy Fights the System" - is mostly a showcase for Lucie Arnaz. And dammit, wouldn't you know it, Lucie is VERY funny. She started the series out awkward as hell but by the end she'd become a polished comedienne. I kind of wonder if she'd have had a chance to shine had she been given her own series.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

  9. #659
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    505
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    This is very true; the first season of The Lucy Show has its moments, as the Lucille Ball-Vivian Vance chemistry still works. The episode where Lucy and Vivian nearly drown in a shower is amusing and clever. Then it all went to hell, Vivian Vance left, the plots grew increasingly inane, Lucy became more and more unbearable, and - worst of all - Gale Gordon arrived and pretended like he was an adequate foil for Lucy. You never bought that Lucy was in any way intimidated by him. Lucy might as well have worn a cardboard sign saying "Yes, he plays my boss, but I sign the checks around here."

    What I find amusing is that the very last episode of Here's Lucy - "Lucy Fights the System" - is mostly a showcase for Lucie Arnaz. And dammit, wouldn't you know it, Lucie is VERY funny. She started the series out awkward as hell but by the end she'd become a polished comedienne. I kind of wonder if she'd have had a chance to shine had she been given her own series.
    She did get a shot at it but it was only fleeting (per Wiki):

    Arnaz also had a short-lived series of her own, The Lucie Arnaz Show, on CBS in 1985. The reviewer for The New York Times described the show as "the always ingratiating Miss Arnaz as a psychologist who not only writes an advice column, but also takes calls from listeners on her own radio program."

    Also, I thought that she was very good in her role in "The Jazz Singer", for which she earned a Golden Globe nomination for Best Supporting Actress, in 1981.

  10. #660
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Burlington Twp, NJ
    Posts
    1,318
    This clip from Seinfeld fits this thread perfectly imho - particularly the "You could've watched six hours of Lucy!" bit.


  11. #661
    Member Staun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    1,581
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Not necessarily vintage TV, but tonight on TCM, they are showing Rankin & Bass movies, beginning with a personal favorite, "Mad Monster Party."
    Always liked MMP even when I was much younger. Forbidden Planet is a sort of landmark sci-fi but the one thing that always bothered me was they used the same uniforms as they did in, Queen of Outer Space.
    The older I get, the better I was.

  12. #662
    Member Vic2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    La Florida
    Posts
    4,377
    I wonder if Larry, Curly, and Shemp ever got really hurt from being poked in the eyes by Moe...

  13. #663
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I wonder if Larry, Curly, and Shemp ever got really hurt from being poked in the eyes by Moe...
    Joe Besser quit The Stooges because he got tired of the physical nature of what they were doing. He claimed that Curly had scars on his face from all the times he was slapped by Moe.

  14. #664
    Member frinspar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    307
    Been watching Rockford Files on Peacock. Fantastic classic TV.

  15. #665
    Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    Been watching Rockford Files on Peacock. Fantastic classic TV.
    I've got that on my Prime watch list. Used to like watching Rockford Files.

  16. #666
    Member frinspar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    307
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I've got that on my Prime watch list. Used to like watching Rockford Files.
    Also my favorite TV theme song ever.
    I read that there's a team in England that's been using it for 40+ years as their theme when they take the field.

  17. #667
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    505
    Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    Also my favorite TV theme song ever.
    I read that there's a team in England that's been using it for 40+ years as their theme when they take the field.
    And, those cool rides he had! Like the first one, a 1974 Gold exterior/tan interior Firebird Esprit, with a 400 cubic inch engine. Man, was that a vehicle from heck or what?

    th (1).jpg

  18. #668
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I wonder if Larry, Curly, and Shemp ever got really hurt from being poked in the eyes by Moe...
    You have to watch carefully to see it, but he bends his fingers up and actually pokes them in the eyebrows.
    Maka ki ecela tehani yanke lo!

  19. #669
    Man of repute progmatist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    1,401
    Ever noticed James Garner was "Jim" in every post-Maverick TV show he was on? Kind of like how Tony Danza was "Tony" in every show.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

  20. #670
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    You have to watch carefully to see it, but he bends his fingers up and actually pokes them in the eyebrows.
    Yes, he hits them in the forehead. I know I mentioned this before, but that didn't keep Mo from telling all the kiddies that it was all real during his interview on a children's show at age 76.

    I'll say this, if there's anyone who got smacked around more than Larry Fine, I'd like to know who that is.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

    - Dr. Winston O'Boogie

  21. #671
    Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    Also my favorite TV theme song ever.
    Probably one of the first places I ever head a "Mood symplifier" (or maybe it wasn't specifically a Mood model...well, you know what I mean). That, the Four Seasons song (Oh What I Night, or whatever it's actual title is) and Uriah Heep Live were probably the first places I heard one. Also had a really cool sort of country style guitar solo originally (which either edited out during later seasons, or at least during some rerun broadcasts).
    Ever noticed James Garner was "Jim" in every post-Maverick TV show he was on?
    Not true, on Nichols, he played Sheriff Frank Nichols. In Streets Of Laredo, he was Woodrow F. Call, on Chicago Hope he was Hubert Miller, and on God The Devil & Bob, he was God. And on First Monday, he Chief Justice Thomas Bracken.
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 8 Hours Ago at 02:13 PM.

  22. #672
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Planet Lovetron
    Posts
    6,975
    ^ So God's name wasn't Jim?
    He did not know that the sword he'd hold, would turn his priceless empire into fool's gold...

    http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

  23. #673
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ So God's name wasn't Jim?
    Apparently not. I don't know if the show lasted long enough for us to find out.

  24. #674
    Member nosebone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Stamford, Ct.
    Posts
    1,153
    The Mannix theme song is the best!

    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

  25. #675
    Member Vic2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    La Florida
    Posts
    4,377
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    You have to watch carefully to see it, but he bends his fingers up and actually pokes them in the eyebrows.
    Yes, obviously he's poking them on their foreheads, but there must've been some mishaps.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •