Page 36 of 133 FirstFirst ... 263233343536373839404686 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage TV thread

^^ When I was in, calling people by their first name ended at 1st class PO. Once they made chief, it became "Chief" followed by their last name. BTW: In A School, we learned all electronic devices work on FM..."F***ing Magic"
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Watching The Wolfman (1941), with Lon jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Watching The Wolfman (1941), with Lon jr.
    I watched some of it, but waaay too many commercials and idiotic routines. After about 30 minutes of that nonsense, I put on TCM and watched "The Maltese Falcon" and "High Sierra."

"The Wolfman" is only 70 minutes long. So that's 50 minutes of BS to fill out the two-hour time slot. They should try throwing in some shorts to fill space.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I watched some of it, but waaay too many commercials and idiotic routines. After about 30 minutes of that nonsense, I put on TCM and watched "The Maltese Falcon" and "High Sierra."

"The Wolfman" is only 70 minutes long. So that's 50 minutes of BS to fill out the two-hour time slot. They should try throwing in some shorts to fill space.
    Exactly what I did for exactly the same reasons.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Great exchange on tonight's Roseanne rerun:

Jackie: It was Paul Revere And The Raiders, but Mark Lindsay was the singer.
    Roseanne: Like there was really a Paul Revere.
    Jackie: Read the back of the album! Paul Revere was the blonde guy who played keyboards! He was the leader!
    Roseanne: Well, how come he didn't sing?!
    Jackie: Because Mark Lindsay sang better!
    Roseanne: Well, then how come it wasn't Mark Lindsay & The Raiders?
    Jackie: Because Paul's mother let them practice in the garage!

And I apparently forgot to post the dialog exchange in a Roseanne episode for a week or so ago, where Dan is trying to talk Jackie's boyfriend Gary into buying his Harley:

Gary: Wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy one of those Japanese bikes?
    Dan: No, no, no, no. You don't want a bike that sounds like Barry Manilow. You want one that sounds like (starts engine and revs it a couple times) STEPPENWOLF!!!!

I actually remember that one from when that episode first aired. I don't think I remembered the Paul Revere and The Raiders allusion until I saw thhat episode again a couple years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    And I apparently forgot to post the dialog exchange in a Roseanne episode for a week or so ago, where Dan is trying to talk Jackie's boyfriend Gary into buying his Harley:

Gary: Wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy one of those Japanese bikes?
    Dan: No, no, no, no. You don't want a bike that sounds like Barry Manilow. You want one that sounds like (starts engine and revs it a couple times) STEPPENWOLF!!!!

I actually remember that one from when that episode first aired. I don't think I remembered the Paul Revere and The Raiders allusion until I saw thhat episode again a couple years ago.
    Or how 'bout the episode in which Mark adjusted the carb on Dan's bike to make it run smooth. Dan was totally pissed off and opened the carb back up. At the end of the episode, he told Rosanne the secret to that classic Harley sound was to open the carburetor all the way up.

Great exchange on tonight's Roseanne rerun:

Jackie: It was Paul Revere And The Raiders, but Mark Lindsay was the singer.
    Roseanne: Like there was really a Paul Revere.
    Jackie: Read the back of the album! Paul Revere was the blonde guy who played keyboards! He was the leader!
    Roseanne: Well, how come he didn't sing?!
    Jackie: Because Mark Lindsay sang better!
    Roseanne: Well, then how come it wasn't Mark Lindsay & The Raiders?
    Jackie: Because Paul's mother let them practice in the garage!
    Manfred Mann, Manfred Mann Chapter Three and Manfred Mann's Earth Band were also named after the keyboardplayer, who was the leader.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Manfred Mann, Manfred Mann Chapter Three and Manfred Mann's Earth Band were also named after the keyboardplayer, who was the leader.
    And the original band even had a hit song ("The One in the Middle") about how it was the singer who got all the attention while Manfred Mann himself merely "plays the organ."
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    And the original band even had a hit song ("The One in the Middle") about how it was the singer who got all the attention while Manfred Mann himself merely "plays the organ."
    Yes you're right. I have that one. I think the only group I don't have all albums from is the second Manfred Mann. The first one I have a 4 CD-box with everything.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Or how 'bout the episode in which Mark adjusted the carb on Dan's bike to make it run smooth. Dan was totally pissed off and opened the carb back up. At the end of the episode, he told Rosanne the secret to that classic Harley sound was to open the carburetor all the way up.
    Don't remember that one. The one I remember is Mark admitting to David he doesn't know anything about football, after being invited to play football with Dan and his friends. So seeing an opportunity, David explains the game to him, except he tells him everything wrong, deliberately. Like for instance, he explains that you're supposed to drop the ball and then celebrating, etc. ANd Mark totally falls for it, and after the game, he complains that David "didn't know anything about football", apparently not realizing he had been pranked.

Tonight, 8pm, on MeTV:

CREATURE WITH THE ATOM BRAIN (1955)
    "An ex-Nazi mad scientist uses radio-controlled atomic-powered zombies in his quest to help an exiled American gangster return to power."

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Tonight, 8pm, on MeTV:

CREATURE WITH THE ATOM BRAIN (1955)
    "An ex-Nazi mad scientist uses radio-controlled atomic-powered zombies in his quest to help an exiled American gangster return to power."
    Or you can watch Chaplin in "City Lights" on TCM.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

^^ Chaplin films are running all day on TCM.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Don't remember that one. The one I remember is Mark admitting to David he doesn't know anything about football, after being invited to play football with Dan and his friends. So seeing an opportunity, David explains the game to him, except he tells him everything wrong, deliberately. Like for instance, he explains that you're supposed to drop the ball and then celebrating, etc. ANd Mark totally falls for it, and after the game, he complains that David "didn't know anything about football", apparently not realizing he had been pranked.
    The guy who played David sure did meet a tragic end.

^^ When I was in, calling people by their first name ended at 1st class PO. Once they made chief, it became "Chief" followed by their last name.
    When he first came to the squadron he was a 1st Class PO. The joke started then. It remained but was an "in shop" thing only.

And yes, I'm familiar with the term 'FM' sometimes as PFM or 'pure fuckin magic'

SCENE: Andy Griffith walks into the Sheriffs' Office:

Andy: "Barney, are cleaning your gun again?"
    Barney: "Yep"
    Andy: "But you ain't even shot it!"
    Barney: Yeah, but I've been pointing it a lot..."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    SCENE: Andy Griffith walks into the Sheriffs' Office:

Andy: "Barney, are cleaning your gun again?"
    Barney: "Yep"
    Andy: "But you ain't even shot it!"
    Barney: Yeah, but I've been pointing it a lot..."
    He sure had been pointing it a lot! Great quote among so many; like this:

Barney Fife: Well, I guess to sum it up, you could say, there's three reasons why there's so little crime in Mayberry. There's Andy, and there's me, and
    [patting gun]
    Barney Fife: baby makes three.

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    He sure had been pointing it a lot! Great quote among so many; like this:

Barney Fife: Well, I guess to sum it up, you could say, there's three reasons why there's so little crime in Mayberry. There's Andy, and there's me, and
    [patting gun]
    Barney Fife: baby makes three.
    With a deep sniff and a tug on his belt.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    David was played by Johnny Galecki who did, and continues to do quite well after Rosanne.

re Roseanne

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    You mean Mark. The guy who played David went onto be in a really good movie called The Opposite Of Sex (the director swore he was unaware of his star's sitcom career) and more recently was one of the featured stars of Big Bang Theory.

You mean Mark. The guy who played David went onto be in a really good movie called The Opposite Of Sex (the director swore he was unaware of his star's sitcom career) and more recently was one of the featured stars of Big Bang Theory.
    Johnny Galecki even appeared in a few of Rosanne reboot, and The Connors episodes.

Johnny Galecki even appeared in a few of Rosanne reboot, and The Connors episodes.
    It wasn't a reboot. It was a relaunch (though I think they did retcon that entire last season of the original show). A reboot is when you wipe the slate clean and create a new chronology, as per Battlestar Gallactica.

But anyway, I always thought the connections between Roseanne and Big Bang Theory were interesting. Besides Johnny Galecki, you also had Laurie Metcalf, who played Roseanne's sister Jackie and Sheldon's mother (also, her daughter Zoe Perry plays the younger version of Sheldon's mom on Young Sheldon), as well as Sara Gilbert (who I kinda had a crush on as a teenager), who played one of the other scientists working at the some university as the other bozos on the show, and who slept with both Leonard and Wolowitz.

You mean Mark.
    Yep, I meant Mark.

Watching Star Trek episode.....The Enemy Within.

Great episode. My favorite really. Evil Kirk was a real SOB.