Page 48 of 133 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051525898 ... LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 3311

Thread: Vintage TV thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Upon further review, I should have paid more attention to Petticoat Junction back in the day

Attachment 14554
    I remember seeing it occasionally in the 80's, but somehow I never made time for it. Wasn't it like a spin off of Green Acres or one of those other "rural" sitcoms?

I started subscribing to Vintage Guitar magazine and they're all over the place in what they consider vintage.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Wasn't it like a spin off of Green Acres or one of those other "rural" sitcoms?
    Yeah, it was one of CBS' rural series. And then they purged them all in one brutal sweep of a few years. https://beverlyhillbillies.fandom.com/wiki/Rural_purge
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Nirvana and Pearl Jam are played on classic rock stations.
    The Grunge thing started roughly a quarter century ago. My how time flies.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I remember seeing it occasionally in the 80's, but somehow I never made time for it. Wasn't it like a spin off of Green Acres or one of those other "rural" sitcoms?
    Petticoat Junction was not created as spinoff of Beverly Hillbillies originally, but Green Acres was, and they ended up doing crossovers with Jethro and Granny visiting Hooterville, so all 3 shows were connected.
    Last edited by Dave (in MA); 11-09-2020 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    The Grunge thing started roughly a quarter century ago. My how time flies.
    More like 30 years ago. The early grunge stuff started more like around 88 or 89. Nevermind came out in like 91, I think. I remember Guitar Player running a feature in 91 or early 92, where they interviewed the guitarists from, Mudhoney, Nirvana, Pearl Jam (well, one of 'em, even though they didn't have an album out yet) and I think maybe Soundgarden, I'm not sure. I also remember a Guitar World issue that had Slash on the cover (this was at the time of Use Your Illusion madness), but there were featuers on Soundgarden (that's where Thayill referred to Allen Collins as "Tinkerbell", in reference to the Free Bird solo), Pearl Jam (I think that was where I first learned that a couple of the PJ guys had been in Mother Love Bone, whose lead singer died just as their first album was about to be released), and Nirvana.

The presence of Cobain in those two things is interesting, because those might have been the only (or at least among the very few) interviews he granted to "musician oriented" magazines. Later on, once Nirvana were the biggest thing since sliced bread or whatever they were supposed to be, Cobain limited his press interviews to things like MTV, Rip and Rolling Stone.

Man, the stupid things I remember about stuff that I wasn't even into.
    Petticoat Junction was not created as spinoff of Beverly Hillbillies originally, but Green Acres was, and they ended up doing crossovers with Jethro and Granny visiting Hooterville, so all 3 shows were connected.
    I remember watching Beverly Hillbillies a lot in the late 70's and 80's. Green Acres I saw a bit of when I was a kid, enough that when I saw Tommy Tedesco refer to the "gawdawful fuzz guitar" used on the theme music in one of his Guitar Player column, I knew the part he was talking about, but I don't think I really stuck with the way I did with other shows. I think I only knew the shows were connected because I read a book about vintage TV shows (stuff from the 60's and 70's), at some point in the 80's or early 90's, and they spent like half a page in this book detailling how everything on them was linked.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Yeah, it was one of CBS' rural series. And then they purged them all in one brutal sweep of a few years. https://beverlyhillbillies.fandom.com/wiki/Rural_purge
    Beverly Hillbillies ran for 9 years. I tink they were starting to run out of ideas for "relocated rednecks are clueless about modern culture". I mean, I think it was in the first season or so, there's an episode where Mr Drysdale figures he's going to get the Clampetts to stay in LA by getting them interested in "modern" hobbies. I think he tries to get Jed into yachting, and Ellie and Jethro into scuba diving. The latter point I remember, because he buys them diving gear for Christmas, including wetsuits, and the Clampetts mistake them for "rain gear" or whatever. For some idiotic reason, it's Jethro we get to see wearing his, but not Ellie Mae.

A couple seasons later, there was this whole thing where I believe Jethro had seen Thunderball or whatever and decided he was going to be a spy, so we see him futzing around in the "cement pond", in full scuba gear. I've forgotten the exact nature of the plot, but I think someone ends up detonating a depth charge or something in the swimming pool or whatever.

Skip ahead to the early 70's, and they were still pulling the same kind of stuff. Ellie Mae's dating a Navy man, a military diver, or "frogman" as they used to be called back in those days. So somehow, Granny gets it in her head that Mark is literally some kind of amphibious mutant who intends to turn Ellie Mae into a "frogwoman" or whatever. She even has a nightmare about it. Kinda dumb, but like I said, with a premise liek tha tshow had, there weren't many places they could go. On the other hand, at least we finally got to see Donna Douglas in a wetsuit. Even Mr. Drysdale felt compelled to remark about it. Unfortunately, most of that scene gets edited out when it gets rerun these days (it's been like that for last 10 or 15 years, I think).

Really, though, most long running shows are like that. My Three Sons is another show that outlived it's creativity. After awhile, you're wondering, "Why didn't they just kill it already?". There again, that last season had an episode where we Angela Cartwright (yes, that's right, Penny Robinson from Lost In Space) in a wetsuit, in a somewhat inexplicable epilogue scene.

And I mean, you could go on talking about shows that went on too long, e.g. Bonanza, Gunsmoke, Cheers, Family Ties, etc. Sometimes, I'm thankful that some of my favorite shows, e.g. Max Headroom, Police Squad, and Sledge Hammer!, etc didn't last long. I think the British have the right idea, do about a dozen episodes, if the audience likes it, do another dozen the next year, then get out of Dodge before you have a chance to ruin it.

Cheers did have a strong last two seasons, a run which included "Old Fashioned Wedding". That was basically a one hour classic farce and Burrows' directing was a tour de force.

Rebecca Howe : Dead. He can't be dead. He just sat down to take a little nap.

Sam Malone : Frasier, are you sure?

Dr. Frasier Crane : I'm trained as a physician. Believe me, he's dead. You don't make that mistake twice.

The M*A*S*H Finale is on now on MeTV.

And now I have Curly on a leash barking and howling like a dog....

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I suppose if you pay them enough, they will do almost anything in that hour.

As long as it's not an episode with Shemp.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Shemp was funny AF, but Curly is King Stooge. Hilarious....

Shemp was funny AF, but Curly is King Stooge. Hilarious....
    Curly was a comedic genius of another level. You talk about the 5 funniest people of the last 100 years, he's gotta be in there. However, women tend not to be Stooges fans, or so they say.

However, women tend not to be Stooges fans,

Awwww. Too bad for women. Their loss.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    However, women tend not to be Stooges fans, or so they say.

Awwww. Too bad for women. Their loss.
    Well, you know what that means?...Curly is PROG.

I like Shemp.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

.Curly is PROG.

One of my favorite Stooges shorts, Malice In The Palace was with Shemp.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I like Shemp.
    Shemp was my fave!

Well, you know what that means?...Curly is PROG.
    Good one!

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I like Shemp.
    Yeah, I like him too actually. He wasn't as funny as Curly, IMO, but he was still good.

Curly was a comedic genius of another level. You talk about the 5 funniest people of the last 100 years, he's gotta be in there.
    Yes, absolutely agreed.

Great line on today's Roseanne: "The only way I'd go to the prom is if I could sit in the rafters with a bucket of pig's blood".

Also, Tim Curry is one of Dan's poker buddies.

And now I'm watching Curly get slapped across the face by Moe. Bastard......

And Moe pours glue instead of maple syrup on his pancakes......