Page 75 of 133 FirstFirst ... 256571727374757677787985125 ... LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,875 of 3311

Thread: Vintage TV thread

Never really got into Dark Shadows but I watched it in the 60s or 70s after school. Caught a few episodes.

I recall a storyline about a witch named Angelique. It took forever and went nowhere, in true soap opera fashion.

^ yeah it was soap opera-ish. I was gonna mention that. Glad you said it first.....

Today's Mannix had not only a Star Trek escapee, but also a Miss America. Or you look at it as Monkees escapee, and a Catwoman. Or you look at it as Betty Jones, daughter-in-law of Barnaby Jones and...frell, I ran out of famous Logan Ramsey roles.

OK, enough fooling around. Yes, Lee Meriweathe and Logan Ramsey were on Mannix today. I guess most people remember Ramsey from his Star Trek role, but to me, he'll always Officer Faye Lapid in the Monkees movie, Head. In case you've forgotten, I've cued his scene up, here:

And then his second scene is here:

OK, enough fooling around. Yes, Lee Meriweather
    Catwoman......

For me the ultimate Catwoman was Julie Newmar.

re: Lee Meriwether

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Catwoman......
    But she was Miss America 1955 before she was Catwoman.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    re: Lee Meriwether .
    But she was Miss America 1955 before she was Catwoman.
    Yeah I know.

I remember her in an episode of Star Trek.....That Which Survives. .... she was drop dead gorgeous.
    Last edited by Vic2012; 04-02-2022 at 05:59 PM.

Catwoman......

For me the ultimate Catwoman was Julie Newmar.
    I agree. Easily so.

I'm home. Three Stooges. I'm dying laughing.

Yeah I know.

I remember her in an episode of Star Trek.....That Which Survives. .... she was drop dead gorgeous.
    Damn, I forgot about that! "I am for Kirk"

So another double Star Trek escapee episode of Mannix today!

And yeah, I know, it's no great surprise so many people were on both Star Trek and Mannix. The shows were, partially, in production at the same time, and back in those days, a lot of actors made a living doing guest shots on shows, so there's a lot of people who recur throughout the entire history of prime time TV. You'd see someone on one show, then maybe a few months later, you'd see them on another, then a few months after that, on yet another, and so on. I guess it's just amusing to see it all spelled out in front of me, through reruns and so forth.

My mom and I used to have fun pointing out when we saw someone we knew from Star Trek, or one of her soap operas (or both, in case of Kate Mulgrew, I remember when I saw the first episode of Ryan's Hope, I said "What's Captain Janeway doing in 1975 Manhattan?!"). Or if we saw an actor playing a role that had been recast, we'd call the new actor an imposter. My mom and I used to have fun watching TV together.

So guess what! There was another Star Trek escapee on today's Mannix! This time it was Sabrian Sharf, who played Kirk's mate in the Paradise Syndrome episode. Turns out she's not Native American. I didn't recognize her, but Wikipedia and IMDB both tell me she was in a second season episode of Mannix I watched a few weeks ago.

But the big news this time was the presence of Ed "Kookie" Byrnes, and a few other familiar faces, including Charles Dierkop, who some of you may remember from Police Woman.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    (in case of Kate Mulgrew, I remember when I saw the first episode of Ryan's Hope, I said "What's Captain Janeway doing in 1975 Manhattan?!")
    Don't forget Kate Mulgrew in that terrible show Mrs Columbo (fictional wife of TV's LAPD homicide detective Frank Columbo) which was so ill conceived poorly recieved that the network eventually changed it to Kate Loves A Mystery and dropped any reference to Columbo.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Don't forget Kate Mulgrew in that terrible show Mrs Columbo (fictional wife of TV's LAPD homicide detective Frank Columbo) which was so ill conceived poorly recieved that the network eventually changed it to Kate Loves A Mystery and dropped any reference to Columbo.
    I remember Mrs. Columbo, but I wasn't aware of the name change and everything. I was reading about it on Wikipedia, where it was suggested the reason they revamped the show was that someone realized that Kate Mulgrew was 23 when the show was running which means that at the time original Columbo premiered she'd have been about 12 years old, and would have had to have immediately given birth to the daughter she had on Mrs. Columbo.

But apparently, the show was thrown together by Fred Silverman, the head of NBC, without the involvement or endorsement of anyone connected with the Peter Falk show.

So we got another Star Trek escape, Skip Homeier (also a Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea escapee) in the most recent gaggle of Mannix episodes I've viewed. You'll remember him as the guru of the space hippies. But some of the other guests are a little more interesting.

In one episode, we got Don Francks. I couldn't figure out why I recognized his name, so I checked his Wiki page. Turns he not only voiced three different characters in Heavy Metal, he was also Mok's speaking voice in Rock & Rule. For what it's worth, turns out another Mannix/Star Trek escapee was also involved in Heavy Metal, Percy Rodriguez, who voiced the Loc-Nar. Rodriguez also was the voice of Ordric in Galaxina.

So then the next episode had Marc Lawrence. You might not recognize the name, but he was one of those guys you recognize. He regularly crime syndicate heavies. In this case, he was a crime boss who was supposed to have been banished to Sicily, but he's back in LA because he wants to consolidate his power against his no-good-nik of a nephew. Anyway, the place I really recognize him from is his performance as another syndicate boss, in the Dom DeLuise/Jerry Reed/Suzanne Pleshette/Luis Avalos/Ossie Davis comedy classic Hot Stuff. I believe he's the guy who takes a shot at Dom DeLuise, getting ketchup all over Dom's jacket.

The same episode with Marc Lawrence also had Richard Bull, playing a doctor who has to operate on Lawrence's character. A bit of typecasting here, I believe, as Richard Bull was the Seaview's doctor on Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea.

Also in this episode is Richard Bakalyan, as a mob henchman, who, in a change of pace, gets coshed on the back of the head (payback, I suppose for him having earlier coshed Mannix in the episode). Bakalyan had a very interesting career, appearing in lots of movies and TV throughout the 50's-80's, but I think for me, it's mainly his work for Disney, and in particular the Medford College trilogy, with Kurt Russell, Joe Flynn and Cesare Romero, where he played A.J. Arno's chief henchman. He was also in Return From Witch Mountain, but honestly, I don't remember him that one. He was also in episodes of Peter Gunn, The Untouchables, The Many Loves Of Dobie Gillis, Combat!, Hawaiian Eye, Laramie, Wagon Train, The Girl From UNCLE, The Mod Squad, The Partridge Family, Kolchak: The Night Stalker, Kojak, Emergency!, Barnaby Jones, The Rockford Files, The Bionic Woman, The Streets Of San Francisco, Charlie's Angels, CHiPs, Fantasy Island, Matt Houston, Scarecrow And Mrs. King, Sledge Hammer!, Hill Street Blues, Matlock, and Hunter. Holy dren! No wonder I recognize the guy, he must have been on TV once a week, at least, from 1961-1989!

I own the The Patty Duke Show, the complete series and the complete Naked City. Also have all of James Dean's television work. Next purchase will be the complete original Twilight Zone.

The Twilight Zone set is excellent. It's amazing to me how many actors appeared in the series who later became household names.
    Patty Duke was my first crush. I watched that show every week.

My daughter bought me the TZ set years ago and I have not watched one episode yet. I'm looking to change that. But, I do wish they would not buy me boxed sets of shows that are still on TV. Granted, in the case of The Zone, most episodes are never aired.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    My daughter bought me the TZ set years ago and I have not watched one episode yet. I'm looking to change that. But, I do wish they would not buy me boxed sets of shows that are still on TV. Granted, in the case of The Zone, most episodes are never aired.
    Yeah, come to think of it, even SyFY doesn't show it anymore do they?

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    All 5 seasons? FWIW the first 3 seasons are what people usually see in syndication. They're all half-hour formats and that fits most TV networks commercial schedule. The 4th season is rarely ever on TV because those were one-hour shows. The 5th season went back the half-hour format but are still rarely broadcast on TV, probably because it was never packaged with the first three. When Netflix ran the show they only aired seasons 1, 2, 3 and 5 with the 4th season airing on Hulu.

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    Patty Duke was my first crush. I watched that show every week.
    Not quite mine -- my first was Diana Ross. But I came to love Patty on her show. I was lucky enough to see her live once, toward the end of her life, in the touring company of Wicked. She played Madame Morrible to the tee.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

I had a little crush on Sally Field, Gidget, Flying Nun.

Yeah, come to think of it, even SyFY doesn't show it anymore do they?
    They still have their New Years marathon. Me-TV shows The Zone late nights.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    All 5 seasons? FWIW the first 3 seasons are what people usually see in syndication. They're all half-hour formats and that fits most TV networks commercial schedule. The 4th season is rarely ever on TV because those were one-hour shows. The 5th season went back the half-hour format but are still rarely broadcast on TV, probably because it was never packaged with the first three. When Netflix ran the show they only aired seasons 1, 2, 3 and 5 with the 4th season airing on Hulu.
    I have seen the one-hour episodes being shown one one of those channels.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Does King Of Queens count as Vintage given that it's about 20 year old? If yes, I think this is a hilarious show. Love it.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I had a little crush on Sally Field, Gidget, Flying Nun.
    My kiddie crush was Shari Lewis.

Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

re: SyFy showing The Twilight Zone

They still have their New Years marathon.
    They used to show it like every day, early morning hours, sometimes two or three hours worth. That was as recently as just a couple years ago.

Me-TV shows The Zone late nights.
    I don't get Me-TV. Then again, I don't get SyFy either.

I have seen the one-hour episodes being shown one one of those channels.
    SyFy showed the one hour episodes.