Thread: Vintage TV thread

Oh, and I never watched Spongebob Squarpants, so that's why I didn't know about Ernest Borgnine's late career move toward voice acting. I understand David Bowie also appeared on that show, too.

Today's Mannix was littered with Star Trek escapees: Charles Napier, John Colicos, and Katharine Woodville all appeared, each in one episode. Also appearing today was Larry Linville, Cloris Leachman, Harry Dean Stanton, James Bond escapee Austin Willis, and something called The Peppermint Trolley Company.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    something called The Peppermint Trolley Company.
    A name I used to come across often during my pre-internet days of scouring Goldmine for rare records. Wikipedia tells me they also appeared on The Beverly Hillbillies.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - CD available now, vinyl coming soon.
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    A name I used to come across often during my pre-internet days of scouring Goldmine for rare records. Wikipedia tells me they also appeared on The Beverly Hillbillies.
    And they were responsible for the arrangement of The Brady Bunch theme, though apparently, their vocals are only heard on the pilot, after that they got some studio singers to do them (and of course, later, it was the insufferable kids singing it).

According to Cherry Red, they sang the "Love, American Style" theme song too.
    I've seen all cruel people bashing heads each day so sadistic I'm on my way.

We had an interesting array of guest stars on Mannix today. Larry Linville popped up again (and I'm sure not for the last time). We also got Dana Elcar (he was actually in a two parter during the first season, so this is second Mannix appearance), and Richard "Oscar Goldman" Anderson in one episode. Funny: Dana Elcar was later a regular on MacGyver, which starred Richard Dean Anderson (though obviously a completely different actor than the guy who played Oscar Goldman). Tom Considine, who also appeared in a few episodes of MacGyver, was also in this one, too.

Art Metrano was in the second episode today. I forgot to mention yesterday that George Gaines was among the guests on yseterday's episodes. This means in the space of just a few weeks, Mannix managed to feature two different actors who both later become associated with the Police Academy franchise.

Third episode today featured Bobby Troup, playing himself. That's right, the guy who wrote a song that was covered by The Rolling Stones and Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers was on Mannix today!

Watching the last few years of Perry Mason. Boy, we’re they terrible.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Watching the last few years of Perry Mason. Boy, we’re they terrible.
    Perry Mason comes on just before Mannix, so I usualy get like the last minute of PM on the DVR recording of Mannix. Anyway, so this one episode a coupel weeks ago, I guess they were supopsed to be in Paris. Of course, in those days, they weren't going to send anyone to France to do a TV show, so they simply put the actors in front of a film screen, and projected footage of the Avenue des Champs-Élysées, which I guess was a common "special effects" trick done back in those days. But it's so blatantly obvious they're standing in front of a film screen, it's not even funny.

Perry Mason comes on just before Mannix, so I usualy get like the last minute of PM on the DVR recording of Mannix. Anyway, so this one episode a coupel weeks ago, I guess they were supopsed to be in Paris. Of course, in those days, they weren't going to send anyone to France to do a TV show, so they simply put the actors in front of a film screen, and projected footage of the Avenue des Champs-Élysées, which I guess was a common "special effects" trick done back in those days. But it's so blatantly obvious they're standing in front of a film screen, it's not even funny.
    The way they do scenes of driving and riding in a car.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    The way they do scenes of driving and riding in a car.
    Yeah, that's true. Also, the way they did the thing in Live At Pompeii where Pink Floyd are playing (or miming?) the instrumental part of Echoes, with the film screen behind them showing them making like The Monkees in Pompeii.

Anyway, in this Perry Mason, it just kinda looked cheap and phony. But what can you do?

I had to work this evening, so I didn't get to watch Mannix today. But I've got enough room no the DVR for 4 days worth. I'm working tomorrow morning, so I should be able to knock out an episode or three tomorrow afternoon.

Perry Mason goes downhill pretty quickly, once you get past that killer opening theme.
    "Don't look here. The joke's in your hand."

- Public Restroom Wall

Decades is doing the weekend benge with Mannix.

Watching...The Beast With Five Fingers....starring Peter Lorie.

Slim Pickins on today's Mannix. Wow! They managed to rope a guy who was in a Stanley Kubrick movie into being on that show!

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Watching...The Beast With Five Fingers....starring Peter Lorie.
    Boy, that movie title... reminds me of my struggles as a single man back when

Damn I wish it was Saturday so I can watch the Three. I need to see more slaps across the face. ...

^ Not on YouTube, Vic? (Asking, idk.)

Yer right. I can watch slaps across the face on Youtube....

I like Dark Shadows...a horror soap opera style for sure. It has its flaws and sometimes the acting is outright poor. Sometimes the script is lousy and the concept of the story stupid...sometimes not.

The parts of the show that are not outrageously scary creep me out. The show had this on going bewitching creepy affect on me. Some scenes are so hokey and ridiculously stupid that it's comical, but on a bad day it's annoying.....yet Dark Shadows captured a more mysterious side to the occult which I found hypnotic.

Columbo I enjoyed immensely because the character played by Peter Falk was usually one step ahead of the killer. The story idea was a reversed process of the typical murder mystery. You saw who the killer was first and then afterwards the investigation and interrogation brought on by Columbo.

This story idea involved a lot of humor and insulting sarcasm between characters. It was very creative. It was sometimes corny ....I suppose a bit too dated regarding some of the music and the fashion of that time.

A really interesting aspect of Columbo was how the viewer understands the clues and leads he is pursuing in the murder case, but does not know exactly how he's going to figure a master plan out and that leaves the viewer with a lot of surprises .

Sometimes you'd know what he was thinking or some unexplainable behavior of the alleged killer that he questioned ..but his character didn't always reveal the steps his mind was taking until nearing the event or the end. I thought the writing and the direction the story took regarding the aforementioned was really creative for that time . It was a decent show ...Sometimes not...It could be hit and miss

a pre-Happy Days Marion Ross was on yesterday's Mannix, along with a post-Psycho Vera Miles. Sally Kellerman and Whit Bissell, both Star Trek escapees, were in one I watched the other day. I think I saw Warren Stevens in one, also. Boy they sure did have a lot of Star Trek escapees on Mannix!

Elvis Presley's bodyguard Red West put in his second appearance on the show, as well. George Stanford Brown, who would later be one of the "guest stars" on Police Squad (in his case, he gets a safe dropped on top of him) was in one episode.

I haven't watched Dark Shadows in over 30 years, not since I started the 7th grade, but I seem to recall it was a pretty good show, with all the appropriate atmosphere and everything. I recall they tried doing a new version of it in the 90's that didn't last long.

Sally Kellerman and Whit Bissell, both Star Trek escapees, were in one I watched the other day.
    Did Bissell play a doctor? He seemed to mostly play doctor roles.

- Public Restroom Wall

My wife and I started to watch Dark Shadows on Prime, because my wife has a warm nostalgia for it. Wow, it starts off as a really, really bad gothic melodrama. I did some research and it looks like they didn't really go all in on the horror until introducing Barnabas in the tenth month, 200 some episodes in.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

My mom and I used to watch Dark Shadows after I got home from school, in its last couple of years. The one that creeped the hell out of me was Gerard Styles, the living head in a glass box of some sort (maybe a lantern case?). The time travel stuff was a hoot. Time travel by the power of the I Ching, fergawdsakes.
    I've seen all cruel people bashing heads each day so sadistic I'm on my way.

I remember seeing it in the afternoons as a kid always waiting for Barnabas to show his fangs. He never did. I think they might show in the opening credits or some promos. (There was a movie, too, right?) But, we never saw them during the show.

Kids those days.

There was a resurgence of the reruns years later and I didn't think it held up very well at the time.

It was always very stylish, though.

- Public Restroom Wall