Page 6 of 133 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage TV thread

I’m addicted to Pluto TV - Space 1999, The Prisoner, The Addams Family and Thunderbirds - plus lots of other random oldies.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    It was really convenient how all of the crimes and sinister plots by evil supervillains took place relatively close by to where there was an available railroad siding for James and Artemus to park their train.

If I'm honest, no, The Six Million Dollar Man and Lee Majors were not very good. But I still will watch it. And when I was a kid that was the shit, and I had 2 Steve Austin dolls to back that up.
    My wife ordered me a small 4" Steve Austin figure this past Christmas.

re: Jean Stapleton
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    So her regular speaking voice?
    One would assume so, but you never know. I guess one gets so used to hearing her Edith voice, it was a little startling to hear something different. But then, as I recall, she did a lot of dramatic where that shrill Queens accent just wouldn't have worked.

Something I didn't know, until I just now read it on Wikipedia: John Putch, who played Bob on One Day At A Time and then played Sean in Jaws 3-D, is her son.
    It was really convenient how all of the crimes and sinister plots by evil supervillains took place relatively close by to where there was an available railroad siding for James and Artemus to park their train.
    Kinda like on Flipper, everything hinky happened by the water, so that the dolphin could get involved in saving the day.

Space 1999
    Man, that's another one I haven't seen in over 30 years. Catherine Schell was totally hot as Maya. I remember seeing one episode where a guy plays this really wild electric sitar solo.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Jean Stapleton was on tonight's Route 66, speaking with a more subtle voice than she would later use as Edith.
    I know nothing about acting but all accounts say she was a very intelligent person and a very good actress

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Irwin Allen shows from the '60s were so bad (Lost In Space, Land of The Giants, Time Tunnel). It seems that every show shared the same writing staff. For some reason aliens wore capes, ridiculous helmets and had magic powers.

I liked The Saint.I liked the opening theme music and was pissed off when "they" changed the opening music a few years into the show.

I'm old.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Cool one, and I also liked Hawaii 5-0's theme

I was also pissed off when they switcjed from Rock Around The Clock in Happy Days for the later theme.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I guess I'll visit various threads and comment about how disinterested I am in the subjects of the various thread topics.
    after catching up, this thread is heavy ol'timing geek time. Not sure it for me

Over & out.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post

I liked The Saint.I liked the opening theme music and was pissed off when "they" changed the opening music a few years into the show.

I'm old.
    I like the Saint as well. Peter Gunn and I Spy were cool. I know Batman was huge of course but I also liked The Green Hornet. But, could someone refresh my memory, who were the villains?
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Irwin Allen shows from the '60s were so bad (Lost In Space, Land of The Giants, Time Tunnel). It seems that every show shared the same writing staff. For some reason aliens wore capes, ridiculous helmets and had magic powers.
    Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea? Those guys were always silver.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I know nothing about acting but all accounts say [Jean Stapleton] was a very intelligent person and a very good actress...
    I saw her on stage, once, in The Trojan Women, as Hecuba. She was amazeballs.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Any recommendations for Department S or The Persuaders? --Peter

One of my favorite Muppet Show episodes was hosted by Jean Stapleton. In one scene, she was conversing with the Swedish Chef. Another muppet asked her how she was able to understand him, to which she replied she was fluent in mock Swedish. As the scene progressed, the Chef start speaking his first language. The other muppet asked Jean what he was saying, to which she replied "I don't know. I don't speak mock Chinese."

EDIT: Throughout the entire episode, Jean spoke with her true voice, not her "dingbat" voice.
    Last edited by progmatist; 03-13-2020 at 12:58 PM.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Same writing team? Almost certainly. Allen was fond of recycling props, costumes etc. I saw a program once where I think it was Angela Cartwright who said she'd be watching Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea and she "this week's guest monster' and say, "Wait a minute, we (meaning the Lost In Space production team) just did an episode with someone wearing that same costume last week!".

One of the things that always drove me crazy about Lost In Space was this chintzy approach to be TV production was obvious, even if you never saw any of those other shows. Allen was perpetually recylcing the same special effects shots, costumes, props even on a single show. I noticed this when I was like ten, they'd bump into one alien in the first season, then again in the third season! I mean the exact, same costume. They used Robbie The Robot in, I believe, three different episodes (side note: you often times here that the LIS robot was a "rip off" of Robbie. Well, that's like saying John Fogerty plagiarized Run Through The Jungle on Old Man Down The Road). You'd there was one particular shot of a space ship taking off they used repeatedly, even when the ship that was shown on the ground looked nothing like the one in the model shot. Another regularly recycled shot was one of the Jupiter 2 flying over a bunch of flames.

And then there was the writing, like the episode where they land on a planet populated by teenagers who apparently can't grow up. They abduct Will and Penny, turn Doctor Smith into a hippie, and brainwash the rest of the crew into not remembering the kids (so as to get them to leave without Will and Penny).

I went though a phase a couple years ago where I watched reruns of Barney Miller, Soap, and Leave it to Beaver. Surprisingly, Soap fared the worst. Altho, the funniest thing I saw was this bit with the great Katherine Helmond:

If you want to really enjoy yourself, indulge in a little and watch an episode of Beaver from season 1 or 2. Thank me later.

Speaking of watching old shows in an altered state of mind, when my mother was in a nursing home with dementia, I'd turn on reruns of Laugh-In. The way she laughed made me realize how funny that show must have originally been for people who were tripping.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    It's amazing how many times he got shot in the arm.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    The western that made an impression on me was The High Chaparral. I honestly can't remember much in the way of plot or story arc, but the character played by Henry Darrow sticks in my memory for some reason. And there were many other famous guest stars and character actors. I'd love to find it streaming somewhere to see if it really had the vibe I imagine in my head 50 years later.
    We never missed that show. IIRC, it aired on Friday nights. We actually visited the set in Tuscon, AZ in 1969. Never got to see any of the actors, tho. Remember how long it took them to reach the town? The ranch was actually about 100 yards away. lol
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Which brings us to the big question:

Pat Priest or Beverley Owen?

Pat Priest, easy.

But that reminds me...

Samantha Stephens or Jeannie?

Mary Ann or Ginger?

Marcia (or Jan) Brady or Laurie Partridge?
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

First one is a tough call. I love Barbara Eden but Elizabeth Montgomery was one of the most extraordinary beauties of TV (funny and smart too). I no longer have an opinion on the Gilligans ladies. Laurie Partridge by a freaking mile.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

As a kid I liked Elizabeth Montgomery much better. I also liked Ginger; she was so hot. And I thought Marcia was much cuter than Laurie Partridge, who always acted kinda flakey. I now know it's because Susan Dey was often high when filming that show.

Nowadays, it's still Elizabeth Montgomery. I have no opinion on Ginger or Mary Ann and I'm not allowed to think about Marcia & Laurie. lol

I just remembered another:

Goldie Hawn or Judy Carne, from Laugh-In?

Marcia, Marcia, Marcia
    Mary Ann, Mary Ann, Mary Ann.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Pat Priest, easy.

But that reminds me...

Mary Ann or Ginger?

As a kid I liked Elizabeth Montgomery much better. I also liked Ginger; she was so hot. And I thought Marcia was much cuter than Laurie Partridge, who always acted kinda flakey. I now know it's because Susan Dey was often high when filming that show.

Nowadays, it's still Elizabeth Montgomery. I have no opinion on Ginger or Mary Ann and I'm not allowed to think about Marcia & Laurie. lol

I just remembered another:

Goldie Hawn or Judy Carne, from Laugh-In?
    DEFINITELY Jeannie. The fact that she would call me "Master" is a bonus.

I always thought Ginger was a slut and, while that does have appeal, I lean toward MaryAnn. Although when Ginger let here hair go straight...

No Lovey fans, huh?

Of the Brady girls, it was Jan.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Pat Priest, easy.

But that reminds me...

Mary Ann or Ginger?

Wilma Flintstone or Jane Jetson?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    First one is a tough call. I love Barbara Eden but Elizabeth Montgomery was one of the most extraordinary beauties of TV (funny and smart too). I no longer have an opinion on the Gilligans ladies. Laurie Partridge by a freaking mile.
    Barbara Eden in that episode of Andy Griffith was a smoke show!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Mrs. Larry Tate or Mrs. Dr. Bellows?

Phoebe Figalilly or Mr. French?

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Wilma Flintstone or Jane Jetson?
    Wilma and Betty. Tee hee hee......

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Wilma and Betty. Tee hee hee......
    Both have a great figure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk