Thread: Vintage TV thread

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I love cheesiness and cornballishness of Svengoolie. I think that's the point. It's cornball and rubber chickens.
    Different strokes. Cornball is fine, but there has to be a few chuckles. There's funny. There's not funny. And there's unfunny.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Different strokes. Cornball is fine, but there has to be a few chuckles. There's funny. There's not funny. And there's unfunny.
    Doesn't have to be funny. The fact it's cornball and laim but it's funny. Burp....

Doesn't have to be funny. The fact it's cornball and laim but it's funny. Burp....
    Like I stated, different strokes. It's cool, though.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

"Ah, just one more thing"......I'm watching Columbo.......

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Like I stated, different strokes.
    look how long Hee-Haw was on the air

Speaking of Different Strokes, Gary Coleman was quite an intelligent guy in real life. In the early 2000s there was TechTV, which I would watch religiously. Gary guest co-hosted one of the shows, and he knew his stuff.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Speaking of Different Strokes, Gary Coleman was quite an intelligent guy in real life. In the early 2000s there was TechTV, which I would watch religiously. Gary guest co-hosted one of the shows, and he knew his stuff.
    Haven't seen Different Strokes in ages. I really only remember a couple of them, like the one where Arnold and Willis aren't allowed into Mr Drummond's health club. And there was one where Arnold and his friends read the Cliff Notes version of whichever book they were supposed to read for Literature class, then they all fail the test, badly, because it covered only stuff that wasn't in the Cliff Notes version.

Watching the 3 Stooges. First time in a few weeks. Slaps across the face, bonks on the head, and pies in the face.....

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Gotta admire the commitment to the Stooges!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Gotta admire the commitment of the Stooges, too: they did all their own stunts and took some serious injuries over time.
    Maka ki ecela tehani yanke lo!

The sound effects of all those slaps, bonks, eye pokes are what really makes it hysterical. I sit there making all those noises while watching and then end up on the floor laughing (usually with an herbal enhancement).......

^^ One of the benefits of adding sound to motion pictures. Interestingly when technology emerged to do so, the conventional wisdom within the industry was "Who'd want their pictures to talk?"
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

It all started with the lockdown last year. Saturday evenings at 6pm I was sitting in front of the tube watching the Stooges. Haven't been watching that much recently post-lockdown. Still, they are the funniest ensemble of kooks ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Gotta admire the commitment of the Stooges, too: they did all their own stunts and took some serious injuries over time.
    Actually, they did take a beating, but they had stuntmen, too.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Watching The Love Boat. I don't know, to me Gavin McLeod will always be Murray Slaughter on MTM show. As Capt. Stubing he was kinda lame.

Watching The Love Boat. I don't know, to me Gavin McLeod will always be Murray Slaughter on MTM show. As Capt. Stubing he was kinda lame.
    Happy Haines on the PT 73.

To me he'll always be C.S. Divot, in The Party:

C.S. Divot: You're mesuggah!
    Hrundi V. Bakshi: I am not your sugar!

Ted Baxter:
    Hey, it just occurred to me, the fact that my mother's living in sin - does that make me a...

Mary Richards:
    No, Ted, *that* doesn't make you one.

Ted Baxter:
    [sighs in relief]

Murray Slaughter:
    [Smiles at Ted] But we'll always think of you as one anyway.

Ted Baxter:
    [Smiles sheepishly as he exits the newsroom] Thanks, Mur !!!

Murray Slaughter:
    [Smiles at Ted] But we'll always think of you as one anyway.

Watching..... The Incredible Shrinking Man.

I've been watching clips of Weekend Update from SNL in the 70s on YouTube lately. Specifically the Rosanne Rosannadanna spots helmed by Gilda Radner. I enjoyed them at the time, but going back now, I'm laughing til my sides hurt. There's nothing like this on TV now. I don't know if Gilda or the writers created this character, but it's pure comedic genius. And Jane Curtin coming in at the expected point with outrage is just classic. I can embed if anyone wants, but these clips are special. Check them out.
    I like the part where Icarus hijacks the Little Red Hen.

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I've been watching clips of Weekend Update from SNL in the 70s on YouTube lately. Specifically the Rosanne Rosannadanna spots helmed by Gilda Radner. I enjoyed them at the time, but going back now, I'm laughing til my sides hurt. There's nothing like this on TV now. I don't know if Gilda or the writers created this character, but it's pure comedic genius. And Jane Curtin coming in at the expected point with outrage is just classic. I can embed if anyone wants, but these clips are special. Check them out.
    I always loved the Emily Lintilla stuff, where she gets worked up into a froth over something, and then I think it was Jane who'd have to interrupt and tell her that she missed her whatever it was she was giving her commentary about. And then she'd say, "Oh...never mind".

Then there was the gag where they'd repeat the top story of the night, with Garrett Morris from the School For The Deaf, for the hearing impaired viewers, and it'd be just Garrett yelling whatever it was that Chevy Chase was saying in a normal voice.

And of course, my favorite was the announcement that NASA had received the first message from extraterrestrials. It was four words: "Send more Chuck Berry!"

Roseanne Roseannadanna wisdom quotes:

"I had to join one of those fancy-schmancy health clubs. You know, the ones where it's real expensive to join but it’s worth it, 'cause you get to see a lot o' people that you don't know naked!"

"Well, one time, when he came out, just between you and me, Roseanne Roseannadanna, I noticed that he had a little tiny wet spot on his white pants right below his zipper."

"Well it just goes to show you, it's always something! You either got a toenail in your hamburger or toilet paper clinging to your shoe."

I've given the post-original lineup of SNL so many chances, but gave up years ago. The Eddie Murphy years were good, too. But, without him, most of the cast was forgettable.

It seems that the original cast was better at developing characters and building skits around concepts that were just off the edge. It seems that in the later years, the skits and returning characters were built around one gag or gimmick and couldn't hold up the rest of the skit with it. So many opening skits fall flat. I realize there may be some gems hidden in there, but every time I try, I give up within the first half hour. I gave up trying and have concluded that maybe SNL has passed me by.

Back then, you had a cast of maybe seven people, and tons of laughs. Now they have a cast of thousands and a few chuckles.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

ANother of my favorite bits on SNL was Garrett Morris as Reuben "Hurricane" Carter, starring in an American Express commercial. For those who don't remember, Hurricane was a middleweight champion boxer who went to prison for almost 20 years on triple homicide charges. Though he was found guilty twice, the verdict was eventually overturned, in the mid 80's, and he was set free.

So, if you remember the Am Ex ads from that era, you'd have a celebrity who'd say "Do you know me?" then rattle of the statistics of their career (e.g. Stephen King noting how many books he had in the NY Times Bestseller list, etc), before concluding, "But sometimes, people don't recognize me. That's why I carry this (holds up card): The American Express Card, I use it in shops, restaurants, and hotels everywhere I go".

So in the case of the SNL skit, Morris notes Hurricane's boxing stats, then adds, "And I've spent ten years in prison for a crime I didn't commit. Then the "shops, hotels and restaurants everywhere" line is amended to "If i ever get out of this place, I'll use it in...".

I thought that was funny.

A lto of the Coneheads skits were great, particularly the one with Richard Dreyfus, just after Close Encounters Of The Third Kind came out, where he's building a mountain in his apartment, and puts pointy top on it. Then when the commercial for Beldar's driving school comes on the TV, he realizes that's what the visions he's been having are.

I also remember a gag with Buck Henry, I think, as a census taker who asks them were they're from, and Beldar and Primat responding, nervously, "France! Remulak, France!", and Henry says, 'Thats funny, I've bicycled through France five times, I don't remember a town called Remulak".

Dan Aykroyd running both an AM radio station (playing stuff like Tony Orlando and Dawn) and an FM station (playing Black Sabbath) at once, was hilarious. I love the bit when he's on the FM station and he says "If you were at the Grateful Dead show at the Garden last night, you probably know exactly how I feel right now".

I also recall Gilda parodying Patti Smith, and a metric alphabet gag (remember this was the time when President Carter was trying to convert the US to metric measurements, which of course didn't work).

And John Belushi in a film, as an elderly version of himself, noting that he was the last member of the Not Ready For Prime Time Players left alive (he notes that Aykroyd died crashing his car into a wall at 120 mph) and then dances on everyone's graves. Isn't it ironic? Dontcha think?

Oh yeah, and Land Shark!

And then there was Lorne Michaels offering The Beatles $3,000 to appear on the show and do three songs. Apparently, he wanted to offer them more, but NBC would only authorize a payout equal to what all musical guests on the show got. Then, like a year later, George Harrison was on, and he's shown kvetching about how he's only getting $750 for his appearance, and Lorne Michaels is explaining how the price structure works. George is all like, "Seems a bit chintzy, if you ask me", and Lorne says "Well, ya know, give an extra 500 bucks to whoever says, 'LIVE FROM NEW YORK, IT'S SATURDAY NIGHT!", and George then looks into the camera and says, "LIVE FROM NEW YORK, IT'S SATURDAY NIGHT!"