Thread: Vintage TV thread

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    As far as the anthem goes, I wanna know who the crazy person was who thought it was a good idea to offer it to her. Like I said, who's sitting around saying, "We need to get someone who has literally no experience as a singer to sing a song that most professional singers struggle with!".
    Well, it was the '90s. She was popular. Baseball stadiums have run the gamut of luring people to sing the anthem and "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" during the 7th inning stretch and you gotta do it 82 times a year. A lot of the time its local amateur talent but they prefer people of renown and celebrities. Hell, even Ozzy has sang (well, attempted) "Take Me Out to the Ballgame".

So on today's Roseanne, Jim "Ernest" Varney plays a Moldavian prince who's come to Lanford to sweep Jackie off her feet. Really good performance from Varney, very different kind of character from Ernest.

Also, I found out that Amazon Prime has Top Gear. Some of the episodes you have to subscribe to one of their premium channels, but there's a lot of them that are available with the basic service, includign at least a few I'm pretty sure I've never seen before.

Watching..The Devil Doll.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Watching..The Devil Doll.
    Not a bad movie, but not a great one, either. Still entertaining enough. Just about anything with one of the Barrymore brothers is worth watching.

I just saw it not long ago, so I decided to watch "Dances with Wolves" on TCM, instead. First time I saw it in one sitting. What a great movie.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

^^ I remember when Dances with Wolves aired on prime time network television...including the scene with Kevin Costner's butt. That predated NYPD Blue with all their naked butts.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

So on today's Roseanne, Jim "Ernest" Varney plays a Moldavian prince who's come to Lanford to sweep Jackie off her feet. Really good performance from Varney, very different kind of character from Ernest
    Roseanne really jumped the shark with the lottery thing and that was a really dumb episode, IMO. In fact whenever we're channel surfing and see Roseanne and it's one of the post-lottery shows, it's an instant skip.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Roseanne really jumped the shark with the lottery thing and that was a really dumb episode, IMO. In fact whenever we're channel surfing and see Roseanne and it's one of the post-lottery shows, it's an instant skip.
    I agree with you. But I still say Varney gave a good performance.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Not a bad movie, but not a great one, either. Still entertaining enough. Just about anything with one of the Barrymore brothers is worth watching.
    Great concept for it's time, but poorly executed. The acting is decent enough but the budget looked minuscule, from the dummy design to the quality of film used. Its weirdly shot and edited too. But I'd rather see some of these more rarely shown horror flicks from the 50s and 60s than the same Universal Studios flicks over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Great concept for it's time, but poorly executed. The acting is decent enough but the budget looked minuscule, from the dummy design to the quality of film used. Its weirdly shot and edited too. But I'd rather see some of these more rarely shown horror flicks from the 50s and 60s than the same Universal Studios flicks over and over again.
    I think their library is one of those DVD sets you can get at Half-Price Books where there's like 50 movies on three discs for twenty bucks.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Watching an episode of the series The Untouchables. Martin Balsam is in this eppy. Brilliant actor.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Watching an episode of the series The Untouchables. Martin Balsam is in this eppy. Brilliant actor.
    Yeah, Balsam did some great work. He was the original Rudy Wells on The Six Million Dollar Man, and I also remember him in a made-for-TV movie called Trapped Beneath The Sea. And of course, there's Psycho.

Yeah, Balsam did some great work. He was the original Rudy Wells on The Six Million Dollar Man, and I also remember him in a made-for-TV movie called Trapped Beneath The Sea. And of course, there's Psycho.
    And 12 Angry Men.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    And 12 Angry Men.
    Hmm, you remind me that Lee J Cobb was in Trapped Beneath The Sea also.