Page 55 of 133 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965105 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 3311

Thread: Vintage TV thread

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    As far as the anthem goes, I wanna know who the crazy person was who thought it was a good idea to offer it to her. Like I said, who's sitting around saying, "We need to get someone who has literally no experience as a singer to sing a song that most professional singers struggle with!".
    Well, it was the '90s. She was popular. Baseball stadiums have run the gamut of luring people to sing the anthem and "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" during the 7th inning stretch and you gotta do it 82 times a year. A lot of the time its local amateur talent but they prefer people of renown and celebrities. Hell, even Ozzy has sang (well, attempted) "Take Me Out to the Ballgame".

So on today's Roseanne, Jim "Ernest" Varney plays a Moldavian prince who's come to Lanford to sweep Jackie off her feet. Really good performance from Varney, very different kind of character from Ernest.

Also, I found out that Amazon Prime has Top Gear. Some of the episodes you have to subscribe to one of their premium channels, but there's a lot of them that are available with the basic service, includign at least a few I'm pretty sure I've never seen before.

Watching..The Devil Doll.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Watching..The Devil Doll.
    Not a bad movie, but not a great one, either. Still entertaining enough. Just about anything with one of the Barrymore brothers is worth watching.

I just saw it not long ago, so I decided to watch "Dances with Wolves" on TCM, instead. First time I saw it in one sitting. What a great movie.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

^^ I remember when Dances with Wolves aired on prime time network television...including the scene with Kevin Costner's butt. That predated NYPD Blue with all their naked butts.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

So on today's Roseanne, Jim "Ernest" Varney plays a Moldavian prince who's come to Lanford to sweep Jackie off her feet. Really good performance from Varney, very different kind of character from Ernest
    Roseanne really jumped the shark with the lottery thing and that was a really dumb episode, IMO. In fact whenever we're channel surfing and see Roseanne and it's one of the post-lottery shows, it's an instant skip.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Roseanne really jumped the shark with the lottery thing and that was a really dumb episode, IMO. In fact whenever we're channel surfing and see Roseanne and it's one of the post-lottery shows, it's an instant skip.
    I agree with you. But I still say Varney gave a good performance.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Not a bad movie, but not a great one, either. Still entertaining enough. Just about anything with one of the Barrymore brothers is worth watching.
    Great concept for it's time, but poorly executed. The acting is decent enough but the budget looked minuscule, from the dummy design to the quality of film used. Its weirdly shot and edited too. But I'd rather see some of these more rarely shown horror flicks from the 50s and 60s than the same Universal Studios flicks over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Great concept for it's time, but poorly executed. The acting is decent enough but the budget looked minuscule, from the dummy design to the quality of film used. Its weirdly shot and edited too. But I'd rather see some of these more rarely shown horror flicks from the 50s and 60s than the same Universal Studios flicks over and over again.
    I think their library is one of those DVD sets you can get at Half-Price Books where there's like 50 movies on three discs for twenty bucks.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Watching an episode of the series The Untouchables. Martin Balsam is in this eppy. Brilliant actor.

Watching an episode of the series The Untouchables. Martin Balsam is in this eppy. Brilliant actor.
    Yeah, Balsam did some great work. He was the original Rudy Wells on The Six Million Dollar Man, and I also remember him in a made-for-TV movie called Trapped Beneath The Sea. And of course, there's Psycho.

Yeah, Balsam did some great work. He was the original Rudy Wells on The Six Million Dollar Man, and I also remember him in a made-for-TV movie called Trapped Beneath The Sea. And of course, there's Psycho.
    And 12 Angry Men.

And 12 Angry Men.
    Hmm, you remind me that Lee J Cobb was in Trapped Beneath The Sea also.

Watching ....Archie Bunker's Place. Not a great series but Carrol O'Conner was a comedic god. Archie was hilarious. Just hysterical.

Watching ....Archie Bunker's Place. Not a great series but Carrol O'Conner was a comedic god. Archie was hilarious. Just hysterical.
    Yeah, they were kinda wearing the tires down at that point. But there were certain episodes that were really good. I liked the one where he punches out the one guy who's harassing his housekeeper at the grocery store. And then Archie has to write out this elaborate letter to his lodge, because the guy was not just a lodge brother, but had enough pull to have Archie thrown out of the lodge.

And you're right, Carrol O'Conner was brilliant as Archie. Too many classic moments on both series.

Yeah Archie Bunker was being milked by then, but he was still hilarious.

Banned
    ^^^

Yes, so many memories, so little time:

Archie: "I think that if God had meant us to be together, He'd have put us together. But, look what He'd done. He put you over in Africa and He put the rest of us over in all the white countries".

Sammy Davis: "Well, you must have told him where we were, cause somebody came and got us".

----------

Archie: "Them Sicilians are famous for two things, Spaghetti and revenge".

^^ What many don't realize is that Carroll O'Connor was the most liberal of that original cast. One of my all-time favorite shows. But, like so many others, once the baby arrived...

Banned
    ^^ What many don't realize is that Carroll O'Connor was the most liberal of that original cast. One of my all-time favorite shows. But, like so many others, once the baby arrived...
    Yeah, once the baby and Stephanie Mills arrived ...

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    Yeah, once the baby and Stephanie Mills arrived ...
    Oh, the show was long gone when Stephanie arrived.

I thought Stephanie was hot. She had some curves on her. I didn't know she played this skinny girl on Fish, the Barney Miller spinoff until recently. Uhm, she filled out a bit. Lol.

I thought Stephanie was hot. She had some curves on her. I didn't know she played this skinny girl on Fish, the Barney Miller spinoff until recently. Uhm, she filled out a bit. Lol.
    Dude, please tell me you're talking about her as an adult. She was like 9-12 years old when she was on All In The Family and Archie Bunker's Place.

The actress who played her, Danielle Brisbois, is a singer/songwriter. Apparently she was in a band called The New Radicals, the one hit wonder act that gave us You Get What You Give.

Dude ....dude... she was a grown woman on Archie Bunker Place man. Get yer mind outta the gutta man. C'mon.....lol.

Watching a British, B&W movie called..... The Shadow of The Cat. It's about a killer cat.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Dude ....dude... she was a grown woman on Archie Bunker Place man. Get yer mind outta the gutta man. C'mon.....lol.
    I have little recollection of that show since it paled compared to AitF so I quit watching it, but googling tells me that actress was 10 when the show started and 13 when it ended.

Your only redemption is what age you might have been at the time.