Page 54 of 133 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864104 ... LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 3311

Thread: Vintage TV thread

They spend such a significant amount of money of these ads and I can't see how any of them get any traction. Wouldn't your best bet for low premiums and seeing claims actually getting paid be finding a company that doesn't spend a fortune on TV ads?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    In years past, only the first 3 seasons were in syndication. It's only been in the last 20yrs that the 4th and 5th seasons were in wide use, however, in most markets the 4th season is rarely shown because those episodes are 60min format (with mixed results) and don't fit most programming blocks. Its usually the TV marathons by MeTV, Decades and others that the 4th season episodes are broadcast. Last year when Netflix had the Twilight Zone the 4th season wasn't included.
    Interesting, I did not know that. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    They spend such a significant amount of money of these ads and I can't see how any of them get any traction. Wouldn't your best bet for low premiums and seeing claims actually getting paid be finding a company that doesn't spend a fortune on TV ads?
    Have you seen their profit margins?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I'm gonna take a break from football and watch The Three Stooges. I need a good belly laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I do marketing and, for quite some time, I've seen a missed opportunity for an insurance company to take a more serious approach while calling out the silliness of "other insurance companies."

But, like most companies, instead of being bold and actually distinguishing themselves, they try to be like all the others and get lost in the noise.
    I remmeber when insurance ads used to be serious, like the old Prudential and Allstate ads from when I was a kid. As a side note, the spokesman for Allstate during the 60's was an actor named Ed Reimers. Reimers other great claim to fame was he played Admiral Fitzpatrick in the best Star Trek episode ever (well, my personal favorite episode, anyway). There's a great outtake where he says, "Oh, one more thing, Kirk", and someone wings a tribble at him, from off camera, and he says "You're in good hands with tribbles".

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I'm gonna take a break from football and watch The Three Stooges. I need a good belly laugh.
    I find it so amazing that after all these years I still laugh so hard at the 3 stooges even though I've seen them so many times.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I find it so amazing that after all these years I still laugh so hard at the 3 stooges even though I've seen them so many times.
    Yeah, me too. Every Saturday since last March and the lockdown it's the laughs I look forward to. I'm talking gut-busting, loud, hysterics. When Shemp goes....whoa, hey Moe, help, whoooaaaahhhh. Whoever I tell young people I'm gonna watch the Three Stooges they roll their eyes. Their loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Why bother with football? With the Stooges you get all the mindless violence you need, plus laughs.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

^ Not much strategery, though.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ Not much strategery, though.
    But it does have the on-field antics, which is one of the main things that has turned me off of football. And it also still has the dumb guys banging heads.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Same thing with Laurel & Hardy, Our Gang, The Marx Brothers, etc. Hell, same thing with The Blues Brothers or Caddyshack or Animal House. How can you not laugh at "Face it, Kent, you threw up on Dean Wormer".

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Same thing with Laurel & Hardy, Our Gang, The Marx Brothers, etc. Hell, same thing with The Blues Brothers or Caddyshack or Animal House. How can you not laugh at "Face it, Kent, you threw up on Dean Wormer".
    And Monty Python.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    And Monty Python.
    And The Honeymooners. I still laugh out loud at the shows I've seen dozens of times.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    And Monty Python.
    "Cardinal Fang! Get the soft pillows!"

MeTV is presenting......

JanuLarry.. ...

And Moe smashes an apple on Larry's head......

Watching......The Black Scorpion (1957) on Svengoolie.

Well, I figured out exactly when Roseanne jumped the shark.

Season 8, episode 3 She started acting even more redneck-y and white trashy than before, as he sought to sabotage the restaurant that opened across the street from the diner.

And that's the bottom line because Silver Shoes said so.

Well, I figured out exactly when Roseanne jumped the shark.

Season 8, episode 3 She started acting even more redneck-y and white trashy than before, as he sought to sabotage the restaurant that opened across the street from the diner.

And that's the bottom line because Silver Shoes said so.
    Rosanne jumped the shark when she butchered the Star Spangled Banner...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls1YVhcLD2c

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post

I recently watched a Johnny Carson rerun with Rosanne discussing her upcoming national anthem performance. What a difference just a few days can make.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post

Well, there was that, but I was talkign about the TV show, not Roseanne herself. I never did understand that one. OK, on the one hand you got whoever picks the people to sing the national anthem saying, "OK, let's get someone famous, but not an actual singer. In fact, let's get someone who has no experience as a singer whatsoever to sing a song that's almost unsingable for most professional singers".

And then on the other hand, you've got Roseanne agreeing to do it. Then again, it's clear...I dunno, it's pretty obviously that lady doesn't have a full set of encyclopedias, if you know what I mean. I recall reading that at some point, she accused her parents of molesting her, which her siblings claimed never happened. Then, some years later, Roseanne said she was on some kind of anti-psychotic medication that made her believe she had been molested. Also, I read she bought into all that business about teh Satanists running the child sex ring out of the basement of a Washington DC area pizza joint. As Hank Hill might say, "There's something...not right about her".

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Roseanne (the TV show) should have closed up shop around the end of season 5 or 6 long before the sanctimonium started creeping in. The lottery thing and everything that came after was a trainwreck.

The anthem thing, she claimed at the time, was to poke fun of baseball players, "always scratching and spitting". Of course, as has as already been pointed out, she was a master at situational judgement, tact and taste.

Roseanne (the TV show) should have closed up shop around the end of season 5 or 6 long before the sanctimonium started creeping in. The lottery thing and everything that came after was a trainwreck.
    Yeah, I've gotten up season 9, where they won the lottery, and it's getting a bit ponderous. I would have kept season 7, if for no other reason than to have the one where she's greeted by all the TV moms from the past, and the one Gilligan's Island parody.

I think the best stuff in season 8 was the one where Roseanne and Dan crash the bar mitzvah at the hotel, and there's the whole thing with Schecky Green. I thought that was pretty funny. Also, I liked Fred Willard as Martin Mull's husband. That was kinda funny.

As far as the anthem goes, I wanna know who the crazy person was who thought it was a good idea to offer it to her. Like I said, who's sitting around saying, "We need to get someone who has literally no experience as a singer to sing a song that most professional singers struggle with!".

The anthem thing, she claimed at the time, was to poke fun of baseball players, "always scratching and spitting". Of course, as has as already been pointed out, she was a master at situational judgement, tact and taste.
    Part of her stand-up routine before the sitcom was a guy telling her she wasn't very feminine. She tells him to suck her d*** and walks away.

As far as the anthem goes, I wanna know who the crazy person was who thought it was a good idea to offer it to her. Like I said, who's sitting around saying, "We need to get someone who has literally no experience as a singer to sing a song that most professional singers struggle with!".
    It was all for ratings. The almighty dollar.