Page 49 of 133 FirstFirst ... 394546474849505152535999 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 3315

Thread: Vintage TV thread

I have it on, too. Curly wins $50,000 in a slogan contest and the first thing he says is, "Pie ala Mode with beer chasers, three times a day!"
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

^ Saw that too. Hysterical. I'm on the floor cracking up.

Watching Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein on Svengoolie. Hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Watching Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein on Svengoolie. Hilarious.
    I watched it, too, mainly because it's been so many years. It is a classic, but would have benefited from a better script, IMHO.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

The Gene Wilder spoof, Young Frankenstein is also hilarious.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

"Gene Wilder spoof" is right. Mel Brooks directed, but Wilder wrote the script.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    The Gene Wilder spoof, Young Frankenstein is also hilarious.
    One of my favorites. Gene Wilder is great, and seems to be somewhat overlooked in this day and age.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    One of my favorites. Gene Wilder is great, and seems to be somewhat overlooked in this day and age.
    Are you saying Gene Wilder is overlooked, or "Young Frankenstein"?

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Are you saying Gene Wilder is overlooked, or "Young Frankenstein"?
    Sorry, I meant that Gene Wilder seems to be overlooked by the general audiences today. At least from my perception. Maybe it has to do with his semi-retirement from acting after Gilda Radner passed away.

He was one of the best comedic actors, IMO, and also an excellent comedy writer. Until just now, I completely forgot that he died back in 2016.

Maybe "Young Frankenstein" is overlooked nowadays too though?

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Sorry, I meant that Gene Wilder seems to be overlooked by the general audiences today. At least from my perception. Maybe it has to do with his semi-retirement from acting after Gilda Radner passed away.

He was one of the best comedic actors, IMO, and also an excellent comedy writer. Until just now, I completely forgot that he died back in 2016.

Maybe "Young Frankenstein" is overlooked nowadays too though?
    I agree. Wilder was great. He's just perfect in YF. I'm a big fan of him in "The Producers," for which he received an Oscar nomination. He also got a nomination for the YF screenplay.

I agree. Wilder was great. He's just perfect in YF. I'm a big fan of him in "The Producers," for which he received an Oscar nomination. He also got a nomination for the YF screenplay.
    Well-deserved too. He was great in "The Producers".

"Young Frankenstein" is still one of my favorite movies. A great cast, writer, director, and everyone firing on all cylinders. Peter Boyle as the monster was hilarious too. Some of his facial expressions were just classic.

I don't think YF is under-appreciated. It's considered one of the better comedies of all time.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

This is the TV thread, I know, not the movie thread, but as long as we're on the subject of Gene Wilder, allow me to mention one of my favorites, the little known The Frisco Kid, in which Wilder plays a rabbi trying to bring a Torah scroll from the East to wild and wooly San Francisco, there to become rabbi to a new congregation. It also stars Harrison Ford as a bank robber who becomes his guide as he wanders the West.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Wilder did do Murder in a Small Town for television. There was one sequel with several more planned but his health issues got in the way. Murder in a Small Town did well in the ratings and got critical acclaim.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    He was great, amazingly likeable, like his wife. RIP
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

So one thing I don't like about Roseanne, is when she lapses into that mock redneck voice..."Oh, every Ma lives for the day when her youngins outlearn them". I mean, maybe it was funny the first time, but she goes to that well too often.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    So one thing I don't like about Roseanne, is when she lapses into that mock redneck voice..."Oh, every Ma lives for the day when her youngins outlearn them". I mean, maybe it was funny the first time, but she goes to that well too often.
    That's her real voice.

That's her real voice.
    Could be. Anyway, I find it annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Could be. Anyway, I find it annoying.
    I was joking. Then again, considering her politics... But we won't go there.

Watching MASH. Major Hoolihan is missing. Col. Potter orders Radar to look for her in the women's shower. But Radar is afraid of her nuditity....

Today's Roseanne was the one where Nana Mary ( Roseanne and Jackie's grandmother, played by Shelly Winters) is pretending to be senile, just to mess with Bev. Then at the end, when she's talking at the THanksigiving dinner table, about what had happened earlier in the episode, and Bev says "That happened five years ago", and everyone around the table agrees. You're not sure if maybe this is five years in the future and Nana Mary's mind is going, or if everyone else decided to turn the tables on her.

Seems liek that was a lot of funnier when I started having to deal with that stuff in my daily life.

Tonight's Stooges episodes have been all Shemp. Hysterical...

Now watching.......The Revenge of Frankenstein, with Peter Cushing.

My other favorite Gene Wilder movie is also my favorite Richard Pryor movie that my wife and I watch every New Years' Eve: Silver Streak

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burley Wright View Post
    My other favorite Gene Wilder movie is also my favorite Richard Pryor movie that my wife and I watch every New Years' Eve: Silver Streak
    Saw that one stoned in the Drive In during the 70s. Great little film.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)