Page 47 of 133 FirstFirst ... 374344454647484950515797 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,175 of 3311

Thread: Vintage TV thread

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Such a great great show. Yet, all we see on these second-rate cable channels is "Archie Bunker's Place."
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Such a great great show. Yet, all we see on these second-rate cable channels is "Archie Bunker's Place."
    For awhile, we had a channel showing both. I think I'd only seen a bit of Archie Bunker's Place when it originally aired, certainly, in any case, I hadn't seen the show in like over 30 years. They're both good. I think on Archie Bunker's Place, they tried to evolve the character more. Of course, he had to come to terms with Edith's death, but then there were things like an episode where he punches out one of his lodge brothers in the grocery store, because the jackass was harassing his housekeeper. Then he was supposed to make some sort of official apology at the next lodge meeting, and after awhile he decides he doesn't need to belong to the lodge anymore.

But the orignial show was the best. I love the one where he gets into with a Jewish TV repairman who refuses to work on the Bunkers' TV (the night that he's supposed to be on the news talking about how great Nixon is) because it's Friday night, and it's almost sundown. The Jewish guy ends up yelling something at Archie in either Yiddish or Hebrew, I can't remember which, and then says "Trust me, I got him good!". So the family has to run out to the local bar to watch, they get there, get the bartender to the change the TV channel, and then the news gets interrupted by Nixon giving an address. So Archie's "moment of glory" isn't seen by anoyne.

Another good one is the one where he finds out that one of his friends, this burly "tough guy" type, is gay. Even funnier is that the real swishy friend of Mike's (played by Tony Geary, who later become famous playing Luke on General Hospital) isn't.

All the early interaction with the Jeffersons, particularly Lionel was great too.

Another one I really liked was the one where they call the refrigerator repairman, and each of them has a different account of how the visit from the repairman went (and which led to them having to eat out). In particular, they each have a different memory of the repairman's assistant, essentially requiring guest star Ron Glass to play three different roles.

^ I don't have cable and I get 2 episodes of AITF Monday thru Friday. I never get tired of Archie. Carroll O'Conner was a comedic genius.

Banned
    How about "A sock and a sock and a shoe and a shoe" debate? Classic

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...tail&FORM=VIRE

That routine was improvised during rehearsal and they wrote it into the script.

Ron Glass was great in that other episode.

When I was really young, I never liked the Edith character. It wasn't until I got older that I realized how great Jean Stapleton was.

But, like any other show, once the baby arrived, the show went downhill.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    When my brother was little he thought the character's name was "Odgie". I guess he was too young to understand accents.

I remember Archie complaining about Jesus Christ Superstar, making Jesus out to be some kind of ENGLEBERT WHAT’S HIS DINK!“

Another good one was when Archie is talking about Jews who change their last names so people won't know they're Jewish, but they keep their first names. So he starts putting these Old Testament first names with gentile surnames. He gets through like three of them, before Mike cuts him off with "Abraham Lincoln", and Edith interjects with "That's funny, I didn't know Abraham Lincoln was Jewish".

Another good one was Archie getting upset because Mike was eating the last piece of pie, which Archie had "scheduled for Gunsmoke". So Mike offers the half eaten piece to Archie, and Archie does one of those wordless "Oh for God's sake" looks.

Archie arguing with Edith's cousin Maude was great too.

Wasn't there an episode of Archie Bunker's Place, where one of Archie's old friends, who's now a mobster, end up getting killed in a hit at the restaurant?

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    ^ I don't have cable and I get 2 episodes of AITF Monday thru Friday.
    I notice All In The Family on a lot more compared to Archie Bunker's Place. I wonder if it's a regional thing.

I catch Bunker's Place once in a while. Archie is still classic, along with Barnie Hefner and all those guys from the bar. What makes the show lame is the episodes that are centered on the girls. Imagine a character like Archie today on TV. Dear God.....

Imagine a character like Archie today on TV. Dear God.....
    Imagine one in the Wh ... Oh, forget it.

In a recent interview, Norman Lear said most of his shows wouldn't fly today, with our ultra-pc cancel culture.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    In a recent interview, Norman Lear said most of his shows wouldn't fly today, with our ultra-pc cancel culture.
    PC is real, but cancel culture is a myth.

"Them" is on Svangoolie tonight. Just sayin."

I just watched that on TCM. One of the better ones, for sure.

Have I mentioned my deep hate for svengouli?

I just turned on the TV in time to see Lt. Colonel Henry Blake's farewell. Really one of the great TV moments. Masterfully done.

So 70's shows are "vintage"?

Damn, I am old...

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post

Damn, I am old...
    Nirvana and Pearl Jam are played on classic rock stations.

Damn, I am old...
    Remember how in the early '70s there was the big "nostalgia" craze for music from 15 years earlier?
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Imagine Grandpa Simpson in the Wh ... Oh, forget it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Remember how in the early '70s there was the big "nostalgia" craze for music from 15 years earlier?
    Nostalgia was a lot better in the old days.

Upon further review, I should have paid more attention to Petticoat Junction back in the day

Petticoat Junction.jpg
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

^ We watched it every week.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Upon further review, I should have paid more attention to Petticoat Junction back in the day

Petticoat Junction.jpg
    Ah yes, drinking the Water Tower water was beneficial to your health for Hooterville and Pixley residents alike.

"Regarding the show's title, Petticoat Junction, the hotel is located at a water stop, not a junction (where two or more railroad lines meet). The train stop is nicknamed "petticoat junction" because the Bradley sisters often go swimming in the railway's water tower and leave their petticoats draped over the side. The opening titles of the series show their petticoats hanging on the tower while they are swimming offscreen".

Damn, I am old...
    Well, as I understand it, there's no strict definition of "vintage", but back in the 80's, I read articles on "vintage guitars" in Guitar Player and Guitar World, that showed instruments from the 50's and 60's, so I reckon if it's more than 20-25 years old, something might be considered "vintage".

A couple yeras ago, I bought an early 80's Fender Bullet S-3. I reckon that was my first real "vintage guitar" purchase (well, there is my Takamine 12 string, which is from circa 75, I think, but I got that circa 2003, so it wasn't quite as vintage as the S-3 is).