Page 41 of 133 FirstFirst ... 313738394041424344455191 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 3315

Thread: Vintage TV thread

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Yes. You informed us last week.
    It was retoracle

I hated him before he was born. And before that.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    The Bugs Bunny Hour. Love it for years. Have never seen it on TV in a long time.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    The Bugs Bunny Hour. Love it for years. Have never seen it on TV in a long time.
    They show the Looney Tunes on Boomerang on a daily basis. They also restored the edit in the one Sylvester & Tweety cartoon where Tweety plugs Sylvester's tail into the power outlet (Sylvester had disguised himself as a lamp to get into the house) which I remember seeing a few times when I was little, but later it was edited out because someone got freaked out that kids might actually try doing it.

Weirdly, Svengoolie just turned up in the Dick Tracy comic strip...
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    They show the Looney Tunes on Boomerang on a daily basis. They also restored the edit in the one Sylvester & Tweety cartoon where Tweety plugs Sylvester's tail into the power outlet (Sylvester had disguised himself as a lamp to get into the house) which I remember seeing a few times when I was little, but later it was edited out because someone got freaked out that kids might actually try doing it.
    My favorite Looney Tunes cartoon was a guy taking his dog to a talent agent, saying his dog could talk. He said, "What's the texture of sandpaper?" The dog answered "Rough." He said, "What covers a house?" The dog said "Roof." He said, "Who's the greatest baseball player?" The dog said "Ruth." When the talent agent kicks them both to the curb, the dog says, "Maybe I should've said 'Joe DiMaggio'"
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    My favorite Looney Tunes cartoon was a guy taking his dog to a talent agent, saying his dog could talk. He said, "What's the texture of sandpaper?" The dog answered "Rough." He said, "What covers a house?" The dog said "Roof." He said, "Who's the greatest baseball player?" The dog said "Ruth." When the talent agent kicks them both to the curb, the dog says, "Maybe I should've said 'Joe DiMaggio'"
    This is one of my all time fav's:

What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    My wife likes Svengoulie. I tolerate it. I never understood how some guys could hate Svengoulie and some how love MST3K though... pot-ay-to, pot-ah-to. I don't care for either. And for what it's worth, I'm kind of over old horror movies in general.

Oh yeah, Ralph Wolf and Sam Sheepdog. THey were hilarious too.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Supposedly a "Ralph Wolf" worked for Warner Brothers, hence the name. Checking to see if he had a co-worker named Sam Sheepdog...

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Yeah, that was a good one. Another one I liked was the dog show, where they showed all the different types of dogs, with some sort of comic bit connected to each of them. I remember the Great Dane, who jumps over to the piano, and as per Victor Borge, tells us "My next selection is Claire De Lune. Translation: Clear The Saloon".

There was also a travelogue thing, which had this bit where the narrator is talking about the Sphinx, "Sitting, motionless, silent, for centuries...", and suddenly the Sphinx says, "Monotonous, isn't it?".

And I still love the Road Runner & Coyote cartoons, and we've mentions Ralph Wolf and Sam Sheepdog.

For me the classics are "Duck Dodgers in the 24 1/2 Century", "One Froggy Evening", "Duck! Rabbit! Duck!" and - of course - "What's Opera, Doc?"

But it's hard to find a bad WB cartoon. Other than the overtly racist ones.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Notice how any time the Stooges have to administer an anesthetic to someone it's a bonk on the head with a mallet......

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    For me the classics are "Duck Dodgers in the 24 1/2 Century", "One Froggy Evening", "Duck! Rabbit! Duck!" and - of course - "What's Opera, Doc?"

Oh yeah, Duck Dodgers was great. Which one wsa the one where Daffy is supposed to be a PI, and he goes to Chinatown to check on a lead. He rings the doorbell (the "bell" itself is actually a gong). A gorgeous Asian woman comes to the door. Daffy asks, "Who might you be?". Woman responds, "Me Dragonlady". Daffy asks, "Why do they call you Dragonlady?", and she responds by breathing fire, which naturally engulfs Daffy. She then says, "This answer question?", and Daffy sheepishly responds, "Yeah, that answers question". I don't thnk I've seen that one recently.

Another good one was the Boston Quackie, where he has to deliver something to the Slobovian consulate.

Also loved the one about the couple who have a baby, who turns out to be actually be an extraterrestrial, and the babies got mixed up somehow. Also the one where the stork delivers the giant baby to the regular family, and all kinds of havoc happens. And the one with the pygmy elephant was another good one.

Now watching...........

ISLAND OF TERROR (1966) Starring Peter Cushing

"An isolated remote island community is threatened by an attack by tentacled silicates which liquefy and digest bone and tissue."

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Now watching...........

ISLAND OF TERROR (1966) Starring Peter Cushing

"An isolated remote island community is threatened by an attack by tentacled silicates which liquefy and digest bone and tissue."
    Pfft!...That happens all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Pfft!...That happens all the time.
    "I HATE when that happens...!"
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post

There is also one where Porky pig runs a chickenfarm and hires some singers to put up the egg-production, some Frank Sinatra type and also another crooner I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    There is also one where Porky pig runs a chickenfarm and hires some singers to put up the egg-production, some Frank Sinatra type and also another crooner I think.
    Bing Crosby IIRC.

You used to see cartoons all the time as filler on UK television but since the advent of Freeview and digital TV all such stuff is relegated to the Children's channels. Not that you see it there either, much.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    Bing Crosby IIRC.

You used to see cartoons all the time as filler on UK television but since the advent of Freeview and digital TV all such stuff is relegated to the Children's channels. Not that you see it there either, much.
    Yeah, Bing Crosby.

I'm still cracking up about this.......tentacled silicates which liquefy and digest bone and tissue."

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I'm still cracking up about this.......tentacled silicates which liquefy and digest bone and tissue."
    More like a canister vac.

I'd like to say that I had totally forgotten that David Crosby made a guest turn on Roseanne, as Duke, the husband of Bonnie. I'd also like to say I totally didn't know that Bonnie Sheridan, the actress who played Bonnie on the show, was in fact, Bonnie Bramlett. Both those would be complete lies. I totally remember both of those things. And you're not even the least surprised, are you?

Wasn't there a time when Bugs and Top Cat came on at night in prime time?
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Wasn't there a time when Bugs and Top Cat came on at night in prime time?
    Top Cat, like the Flintstones, was, in fact, a prime time show. They were both made for TV. If Bugs Bunny cartoons, originally made for theatrical release, were shown in primetime, it would have been a local station doing it. It was never network prime time, that I know of. Now, there were the Saturday morning network broadcasts, which were a mix of theatrical and made-for-TV shorts.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"