Thread: Vintage TV thread

I didn't know Sam Peckinpah directed the TV series, The Rifleman.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Watching Star Trek episode.....The Enemy Within.

Great episode. My favorite really. Evil Kirk was a real SOB.
    Well, he was nice to Janice. For about 2 seconds. Spock wanted to know what she thought of him. Interesting that he would ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Well, he was nice to Janice. For about 2 seconds. Spock wanted to know what she thought of him. Interesting that he would ask.
    Horribly dated episode but it's always been my favorite. I WANNA LIIIIIVVVVVE!!!!!!

There was a good line on the episode of Roseanne I watched the other day, when Becky complained how she didn't like her name, Roseanne responds with:

"It was the 70's, you could have been named Frampton, or Chablis!

We watch The Patty Duke Show, The original Twilight Zone, and Naked City. All from my and my wife's childhood. I've seen all the Honeymooners episodes but will watch them all again cause they never get old. Modern stuff? on youtube I"m subscribed to Dr. Grande, Serial Killing: a Podcast, That Chapter and numerous others. Those being the Big 3 at our house. and I'm reading The House of Kennedy by James Patterson.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    We watch The Patty Duke Show, The original Twilight Zone, and Naked City. All from my and my wife's childhood. I've seen all the Honeymooners episodes but will watch them all again cause they never get old. Modern stuff? on youtube I"m subscribed to Dr. Grande, Serial Killing: a Podcast, That Chapter and numerous others. Those being the Big 3 at our house. and I'm reading The House of Kennedy by James Patterson.
    The Honeymooners still makes me laugh. And I've seen them all soooo many times.
    "Don't look here. The joke's in your hand."

- Public Restroom Wall

Antenna TV recently restarted Barney Miller from the beginning. It's amazing to me how much more of a hot head Wojo was, with a gum chewing NYC swagger. How much more of a "frail" old man Fish was. How much more of a "soul brother" Harris was. How much more excitable Barney was. Every episode seems to entail a life threatening crisis. Needless to say, a far cry from the later episodes I remember watching as a kid.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    The Honeymooners still makes me laugh. And I've seen them all soooo many times.
    Isn't that the truth! And, there were tons of classic, diaphragm cracking quotes and one liners for every occasion, such as this:

Ralph: "From here on in, we are deadly enemies. I don't want to see ya, I don't want to talk to ya, I don't want to have nothing to do with ya. If you see me coming down the street, get on the other side!"

Norton: "When you come down the street, there AIN'T no other side!”

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Antenna TV recently restarted Barney Miller from the beginning. It's amazing to me how much more of a hot head Wojo was, with a gum chewing NYC swagger. How much more of a "frail" old man Fish was. How much more of a "soul brother" Harris was. How much more excitable Barney was. Every episode seems to entail a life threatening crisis. Needless to say, a far cry from the later episodes I remember watching as a kid.
    But ya gotsta wait 'til Maude ends to get to Miller!!!

I have all of the Barney Miller episodes digitally, but I do check to see what episodes are on each night and find myself stuck for an hour, at times. I loved watching the series finale a week or two back.

I've been watching it too. Wojo's gum chewing is annoying but that's the character. What really gets annoying is Barney's wife. Didn't they sorta get rid of her later on. It's not the actress, it's the character she plays. It's a dated show but it's still hilarious. To me the funniest guy is Inspector Luger. I'm cracking up as soon as he walks into the precinct.

Barney Miller continues to get accolades in this thread and they continue to be well deserved. Wojo was a real animal and had little in the way of etiquette:

Wojo: Barn. I got a confession to make.
    Barney: What's that?
    Wojo: I got sick on the plane.
    Barney: Oh listen, that happens to everybody. I myself have used those little bags many times.
    Wojo: What little bags?

Yeah, Barney Miller was a great show.

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    Isn't that the truth! And, there were tons of classic, diaphragm cracking quotes and one liners for every occasion, such as this:

Ralph: "From here on in, we are deadly enemies. I don't want to see ya, I don't want to talk to ya, I don't want to have nothing to do with ya. If you see me coming down the street, get on the other side!"

Norton: "When you come down the street, there AIN'T no other side!”
    Not to mention the threats of domestic violence.

"One of these days, Alice. One of these days. POW!, right int he kisser!"

"Bang, zoom!"

- Public Restroom Wall

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Not to mention the threats of domestic violence.

"One of these days, Alice. One of these days. POW!, right int he kisser!"

"Bang, zoom!"
    I like it when he just uses the "bang zoom", and says it fast.

Horribly dated episode but it's always been my favorite. I WANNA LIIIIIVVVVVE!!!!!!
    I've heard people say that about shows but I get a better idea when it comes to music. What is it about this episode that's outdated to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    I've heard people say that about shows but I get a better idea when it comes to music. What is it about this episode that's outdated to you?
    It probably wouldn't work in 2020. I like the episode but today it wouldn't be tolerated.

Parrots ripped my flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    When I was a kid I always thought it was hilarious when Norton would get ready to do whatever it was he was going to do by flipping his arms around like he was trying to get his shirt cuffs out of the way--while wearing a T shirt. It might have been more of a recurring gag in the Honeymooners sketches from the later Miami-based show, which I saw first.

I've been watching it too. Wojo's gum chewing is annoying but that's the character. What really gets annoying is Barney's wife. Didn't they sorta get rid of her later on. It's not the actress, it's the character she plays. It's a dated show but it's still hilarious. To me the funniest guy is Inspector Luger. I'm cracking up as soon as he walks into the precinct.
    Not only did it feature Barney's wife and daughter in the beginning, there were many extras in the squad room. All of the above soon disappeared, presumably to keep the show's budget under control.

Not only did it feature Barney's wife and daughter in the beginning, there were many extras in the squad room. All of the above soon disappeared, presumably to keep the show's budget under control.
    And, originally the show was supposed to focus on Barney's home life as well as the squad room. That's why Barbara Barrie got to be in the opening credits during the first season, even though she's only in a few episodes. As I recall, the daughter and son are only seen in the first episode. The daughter eventually appeared in a few episodes a couple seasons later, after she came home from college and, I believe, dated Wojo.

^^ The daughter appeared in at least 2 of the early episodes, the second of which featured her then boyfriend....the Jewish lawyer and public defender, to whom Barney referred the suspect who took the squad hostage, with Fish's gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    When I was a kid I always thought it was hilarious when Norton would get ready to do whatever it was he was going to do by flipping his arms around like he was trying to get his shirt cuffs out of the way--while wearing a T shirt. It might have been more of a recurring gag in the Honeymooners sketches from the later Miami-based show, which I saw first.
    You got it right. It was a recurring gag on the original show. Hilarious stuff, man!

I also love the $99,000 Answer episode when he helped Ralph practice his mastering of the popular music category. But Ed could not play a song without first doing the opening notes of "Swanee River" (actually titled "The Old Folks at Home"). Of course the first question for Ralph on the show is "Who wrote Swanee River?" Ralph is puzzled, so they play the opening notes. "That's 'Swanee River??!!'" Ralph exclaims. "You're running out of time Mr. Kramden." Ralph sheepishly replies, "Ed Norton?"

Fucking classic!

- Public Restroom Wall

- Public Restroom Wall

- Public Restroom Wall

Put me on the list of those really enjoying Barney Miller reruns. Didn't watch it much the first time around, but I remember seeing some episodes maybe ten or twenty years ago that hooked me. I don't get Antenna TV, but FeTV is showing two episodes weeknights at midnight. Wikipedia has some interesting tidbits, like the fact that cops seemed to think it was more accurate than any other cop show at depicting their real-life experiences.

Max: Hymie, do you smoke?

Hymie: Only when I drink cheap oil