Thread: Vintage TV thread

  1. #876
    Man of repute progmatist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    1,611
    ^^ When I was in, calling people by their first name ended at 1st class PO. Once they made chief, it became "Chief" followed by their last name. BTW: In A School, we learned all electronic devices work on FM..."F***ing Magic"
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

  2. #877
    Member Vic2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    La Florida
    Posts
    4,556
    Watching The Wolfman (1941), with Lon jr.

  3. #878
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Watching The Wolfman (1941), with Lon jr.
    I watched some of it, but waaay too many commercials and idiotic routines. After about 30 minutes of that nonsense, I put on TCM and watched "The Maltese Falcon" and "High Sierra."

    "The Wolfman" is only 70 minutes long. So that's 50 minutes of BS to fill out the two-hour time slot. They should try throwing in some shorts to fill space.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

    - Dr. Winston O'Boogie

  4. #879
    Member Staun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    1,620
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I watched some of it, but waaay too many commercials and idiotic routines. After about 30 minutes of that nonsense, I put on TCM and watched "The Maltese Falcon" and "High Sierra."

    "The Wolfman" is only 70 minutes long. So that's 50 minutes of BS to fill out the two-hour time slot. They should try throwing in some shorts to fill space.
    Exactly what I did for exactly the same reasons.
    The older I get, the better I was.

  5. #880
    Great exchange on tonight's Roseanne rerun:

    Jackie: It was Paul Revere And The Raiders, but Mark Lindsay was the singer.
    Roseanne: Like there was really a Paul Revere.
    Jackie: Read the back of the album! Paul Revere was the blonde guy who played keyboards! He was the leader!
    Roseanne: Well, how come he didn't sing?!
    Jackie: Because Mark Lindsay sang better!
    Roseanne: Well, then how come it wasn't Mark Lindsay & The Raiders?
    Jackie: Because Paul's mother let them practice in the garage!

  6. #881
    And I apparently forgot to post the dialog exchange in a Roseanne episode for a week or so ago, where Dan is trying to talk Jackie's boyfriend Gary into buying his Harley:

    Gary: Wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy one of those Japanese bikes?
    Dan: No, no, no, no. You don't want a bike that sounds like Barry Manilow. You want one that sounds like (starts engine and revs it a couple times) STEPPENWOLF!!!!

    I actually remember that one from when that episode first aired. I don't think I remembered the Paul Revere and The Raiders allusion until I saw thhat episode again a couple years ago.

  7. #882
    Man of repute progmatist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    1,611
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    And I apparently forgot to post the dialog exchange in a Roseanne episode for a week or so ago, where Dan is trying to talk Jackie's boyfriend Gary into buying his Harley:

    Gary: Wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy one of those Japanese bikes?
    Dan: No, no, no, no. You don't want a bike that sounds like Barry Manilow. You want one that sounds like (starts engine and revs it a couple times) STEPPENWOLF!!!!

    I actually remember that one from when that episode first aired. I don't think I remembered the Paul Revere and The Raiders allusion until I saw thhat episode again a couple years ago.
    Or how 'bout the episode in which Mark adjusted the carb on Dan's bike to make it run smooth. Dan was totally pissed off and opened the carb back up. At the end of the episode, he told Rosanne the secret to that classic Harley sound was to open the carburetor all the way up.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

  8. #883
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Great exchange on tonight's Roseanne rerun:

    Jackie: It was Paul Revere And The Raiders, but Mark Lindsay was the singer.
    Roseanne: Like there was really a Paul Revere.
    Jackie: Read the back of the album! Paul Revere was the blonde guy who played keyboards! He was the leader!
    Roseanne: Well, how come he didn't sing?!
    Jackie: Because Mark Lindsay sang better!
    Roseanne: Well, then how come it wasn't Mark Lindsay & The Raiders?
    Jackie: Because Paul's mother let them practice in the garage!
    Manfred Mann, Manfred Mann Chapter Three and Manfred Mann's Earth Band were also named after the keyboardplayer, who was the leader.

  9. #884
    Jazzbo manqué Mister Triscuits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Utopia
    Posts
    2,791
    Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Manfred Mann, Manfred Mann Chapter Three and Manfred Mann's Earth Band were also named after the keyboardplayer, who was the leader.
    And the original band even had a hit song ("The One in the Middle") about how it was the singer who got all the attention while Manfred Mann himself merely "plays the organ."
    New album THE HIPCRIME VOCAB available now!
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com

  10. #885
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    And the original band even had a hit song ("The One in the Middle") about how it was the singer who got all the attention while Manfred Mann himself merely "plays the organ."
    Yes you're right. I have that one. I think the only group I don't have all albums from is the second Manfred Mann. The first one I have a 4 CD-box with everything.

  11. #886
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Or how 'bout the episode in which Mark adjusted the carb on Dan's bike to make it run smooth. Dan was totally pissed off and opened the carb back up. At the end of the episode, he told Rosanne the secret to that classic Harley sound was to open the carburetor all the way up.
    Don't remember that one. The one I remember is Mark admitting to David he doesn't know anything about football, after being invited to play football with Dan and his friends. So seeing an opportunity, David explains the game to him, except he tells him everything wrong, deliberately. Like for instance, he explains that you're supposed to drop the ball and then celebrating, etc. ANd Mark totally falls for it, and after the game, he complains that David "didn't know anything about football", apparently not realizing he had been pranked.

  12. #887
    Member Vic2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    La Florida
    Posts
    4,556
    Tonight, 8pm, on MeTV:

    CREATURE WITH THE ATOM BRAIN (1955)
    "An ex-Nazi mad scientist uses radio-controlled atomic-powered zombies in his quest to help an exiled American gangster return to power."

  13. #888
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Tonight, 8pm, on MeTV:

    CREATURE WITH THE ATOM BRAIN (1955)
    "An ex-Nazi mad scientist uses radio-controlled atomic-powered zombies in his quest to help an exiled American gangster return to power."
    Or you can watch Chaplin in "City Lights" on TCM.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

    - Dr. Winston O'Boogie

  14. #889
    Man of repute progmatist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    1,611
    ^^ Chaplin films are running all day on TCM.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

  15. #890
    cunning linguist 3LockBox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Posts
    2,054
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Don't remember that one. The one I remember is Mark admitting to David he doesn't know anything about football, after being invited to play football with Dan and his friends. So seeing an opportunity, David explains the game to him, except he tells him everything wrong, deliberately. Like for instance, he explains that you're supposed to drop the ball and then celebrating, etc. ANd Mark totally falls for it, and after the game, he complains that David "didn't know anything about football", apparently not realizing he had been pranked.
    The guy who played David sure did meet a tragic end.

  16. #891
    cunning linguist 3LockBox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Posts
    2,054
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    ^^ When I was in, calling people by their first name ended at 1st class PO. Once they made chief, it became "Chief" followed by their last name.
    When he first came to the squadron he was a 1st Class PO. The joke started then. It remained but was an "in shop" thing only.

    And yes, I'm familiar with the term 'FM' sometimes as PFM or 'pure fuckin magic'

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •