Page 35 of 133 FirstFirst ... 253132333435363738394585 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage TV thread

^^ It's even more amazing Dick is still around, given his younger brother Jerry died 2 years ago.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    ^^ It's even more amazing Dick is still around, given his younger brother Jerry died 2 years ago.
    I went to middle school with Dick's granddaughter Jessica. She passed away when we were in the 8th grade. I mean, we weren't really friends or anything, we were only in a couple classes together (as I recall, she was one of those hyper intelligent kids they put in the "Gifted & Talented" classes and only mingled the likes of me in art and gym class), but I remember really being affected by her passing. I think of her a bit every time someone mentions Dick.

Carl Reiner was a comic genius. I was a boy in the 1960's and quality TV series in America was a given. Many great comedies included. But to this day, IMO one of the greatest comedy sit-com of all time was Reiner's baby, The Dick Van Dyke Show. After hearing yesterday of Reiner's passing, I watched 4 episodes on You Tube, and the show is just as hilarious as it was in the early 60's. Timeless. I never liked his son "Meathead," but Carl was great. And Mary Tyler Moore was a total babe!
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Speaking of great TV theme songs, this was always a personal favorite:

"The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

It felt like Saturday today and I was jonesing for the Stooges. Screw me. Gotta wait 24 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Speaking of great TV theme songs, this was always a personal favorite
    Awesome theme. And the length of the pause after the first hit is really daring.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Speaking of great TV theme songs, this was always a personal favorite:

Different versions though. The first couple of seasons had a more raw sound then it became more polished. This one is like that.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Different versions though. The first couple of seasons had a more raw sound then it became more polished. This one is like that.
    Are you saying this one is the more-polished version? I have a CD of TV theme songs and the one they have on there has no edge to it. This one is better, IMO. I'm not sure if the one on the CD is a recreation or from later seasons.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Here's the original, slower and with a heavy backbeat:

And here's a third version from the last season with an added saxophone line:

I like the second one best. I think the first one plods just a bit. But that second one swings.

Re: the 3rd, hmmm, I'll have to check that disc of mine. It seems like that one might be different than all these. I recall it being closer to the third, with the life sucked out of it.

I like the second one best. I think the first one plods just a bit. But that second one swings.

Re: the 3rd, hmmm, I'll have to check that disc of mine. It seems like that one might be different than all these. I recall it being closer to the third, with the life sucked out of it.
    More than likely, your CD consists of "sound alike" re-recordings of the various pieces of music. It's a lot cheaper than licensing the mechanical rights to use the version that was actually used on the TV show.

I remember listening to a radio show where someone played Linus & Lucy, but it was a re-recorded version, with an electric piano (probalby a Rhodes) in place of the acoustic piano, though now that I think about it, that could have been recorded for one of the later Peanuts specials, as I believe each one seemed to have some kind of alternate twist to the arrangement, e.g. the Thanksgiving special, I think, has this ascending/descending fill at the end of each iteration of the melody. Most people hear the version from the original Xmas special in their heads.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I remember listening to a radio show where someone played Linus & Lucy, but it was a re-recorded version, with an electric piano (probalby a Rhodes) in place of the acoustic piano, though now that I think about it, that could have been recorded for one of the later Peanuts specials, as I believe each one seemed to have some kind of alternate twist to the arrangement, e.g. the Thanksgiving special, I think, has this ascending/descending fill at the end of each iteration of the melody. Most people hear the version from the original Xmas special in their heads.
    Might have been Vince Guaraldi's 1968 studio recording from the Oh Good Grief album, where he overdubs this clanging electric harpsichord part on top of his piano. Sounds like clock chimes.

More than likely, your CD consists of "sound alike" re-recordings of the various pieces of music. It's a lot cheaper than licensing the mechanical rights to use the version that was actually used on the TV show.
    They are all original recordings except for maybe two or three, actually.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    https://youtu.be/yg1Cx26-928

My fave TV series theme ever I think

Does this count?

I thought we already established that THIS is the greatest theme ever:

Watching Star Trek.....Spock's Brain. I like this episode. Sue me.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Watching Star Trek.....Spock's Brain. I like this episode. Sue me.
    McCoy: He's worse than dead!
    Kirk: Well, what is it, Bones?! What's the mystery?!
    McCoy: His brain has been taken!

I always thought that was a great exchange

Banned

That was a good one and there were so many great quotes from the Star Trek TV show:

“Dr. McCoy: I, for one, could use a good non-reconstituted meal.
    Mr. Spock: Doctor, you are a sensualist.
    Dr. McCoy: You bet your pointed ears I am.”

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    That was a good one and there were so many great quotes from the Star Trek TV show:

“Dr. McCoy: I, for one, could use a good non-reconstituted meal.
    Mr. Spock: Doctor, you are a sensualist.
    Dr. McCoy: You bet your pointed ears I am.”
    How about:

Kirk: Spock, you're becoming more human every day!
    Spock: I see no reason for me to stand here and be insulted.

Banned
    How about:

Kirk: Spock, you're becoming more human every day!
    Spock: I see no reason for me to stand here and be insulted.

Really, I like the part where the girl says....Brain, and Brain...WHAT IS BRAIN???

There used to be a couple videos on Youtube, where someone edited all the instances of McCoy confirming someone's death into one like 2 and a half minute video, every "He's dead, Jim", "Jim, this man's dead", "What's the use? He's still dead", etc, ending with the "He's worse than dead" exchange.

There was also one with all the "I'm a doctor" moments strung together, but just him saying "I'm a doctor" not the "not a..." bits. The guy included "What am I? A doctor, or a moon shuttle conductor?", and "I'm still the chief medical officer aboard this ship", before ending on Kirk saying "You're always saying you're a doctor. Well, are you?!", with McCoy's "I don't know", and the dramatic musical chord the signals the commercial break.

And at one point, there was a video where someone combined all the different Star Trek doctors saying "I'm a doctor, not a...", but somehow Julian saying "I'm a doctor, not a historian" or the Voyager holo-doctor saying "I'm a doctor, not a peeping Tom" just doesn't have the same ring as McCoy declaring, "I'm a doctor, not an escalator!" or "I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!".

I remember David Letterman once the top ten lines not in the new Star Trek movie, which included:

"I'm a doctor, not a very good actor"
    "Don't let Kirk show you what he calls the Captain's Log"
    and
    "Captain, there's an alien lifeform on your head...oh, sorry, it's just your toupee"

What a weird career arc Deforest Kelly had. He went from westerns to Trek to Night Of The Lepus back to Trek.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    When I was in the Navy, in my last squadron, our shop chief was named James... he did eventually grow tired of our incessant "Damn it Jim! I'm not a magician!"