Page 34 of 133 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637384484 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage TV thread

My favorite episode was when Harris and Yemana had a friendly wager that Harris could refrain from smoking, and Yemana from gambling. At the end of the episode, Harris says "I bet you........" (I don't remember the exact phrase.) Yemana says "You're on!" Harris says "You lose!" and lights a cigarette.

My second favorite is when a guy in the cage thought he was a werewolf. Yemana totally believed him because he had hair sprouting from his face. Barney said, "It's call a beard. Haven't you seen a beard before?" Yemana replies "Not in my family."
    Last edited by progmatist; 06-22-2020 at 04:15 PM.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post

My second favorite is when a guy in the cage thought he was a werewolf. Yemana totally believed him because he had hair sprouting from his face. Barney said, "It's call a beard. Haven't you seen a beard before?" Yemana replies "Not in my family."
    I remember them getting their lunch order from the local deli. Yemana orders "sashimi on rye" or whatever. The guy from the deli says, "Uh, it's called lox", and Yemana says "The hell you say! Our people had it first!"

Banned
    All the above are great quotes.

One of my all time favorites is the scene where the ladies man Harris has to go to the bathroom. He asks Dietrich to cover his phone for him as he is expecting a call from his girlfriend. While he's away doing his business the girlfriend calls and Dietrich tells her that is in the bathroom, but he will give Harris the message that she called. Harris returns and Dietrich informs him that the girlfriend called; Harris asks what did you tell her?

Dietrich: I told her that you were in the bathroom.

Harris: What! Why did you tell her that? Come on, man!

Dietrich: I thought that she knew.

If we're talking quotes, one of my favorites is the exchange between Harris and Barrney, in the "brownies" episode.

Barney: Have these analyzed!
    (Harris, already blasted, as is everyone else, shoves one in his mouth)
    Barney: NOT LIKE THAT!
    Harris: Barn, I think these brownies have marijuana in them!

There was also something about Fish pulling a Barnaby Jones, chasing a suspect up a fire escape and across several apartment building roofs or something like that.

On the somewhat serious side, the episode where Chano shoots a couple thugs holding up a bank, was also very good. The scene where Barney goes to visit after the incident, and after Barney leaves, Chano breaks down, crying...that was a brilliant scene.

Another gag I recall was when Harris and Dietrich end up sharing an apartment. Harris comments about how they were watching Casablanca, and the scene with the piano player (ya know the one where Bogart doesn't actually say "Play it again, Sam!"), Harris said "I wonder what Cab Calloway is doing these days". Barney says, "Oh, that's not Cab Calloway, it's..." (and I SHOULD know the name of the piano player, but I don't). And Harris says, "That's EXACTLY what Dietrich did!", I guess being an example of Dietrich's annoying behaviour.

The one where they had to stake out the store or whatever it was across the street, from the empty apartment, and all these weird people kept showing up, including a store owner named Tannenbaum.

One thing I always found intriguing was Barney's kids, who are seen only a couple time. The son is only seen in the very first episode, before the producers decided Barney's home life would not play a role in the series (but apparently, not before they created the opening credits, which includes Barbara Barrie) and his daughter I think resurfaced a couple seasons later, after she came from college or whatever (and dated Wojo I think?).

I also liked when Fish got shot. In the cheek. Barney puts his hand over his cheek, and Harris replies, "Not that cheek".

I read once that they were constantly rewriting each episode, and after the first couple seasons, they stopped performing in front of a live audience. They'd tape the show, doing as many takes as they needed of each scene, cut everything together, and then shown to a live audience, i believe (or maybe they just used canned laughter). I forget who it was who said that he felt band for Steve Landsberg because he always had to recite these complicated monologues as Dietrich, some of which he'd only seen just that day or the day before.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    (ya know the one where Bogart doesn't actually say "Play it again, Sam!")
    Actually, that line is never spoken in the movie.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Banned
    GuitarGeek:

(and I SHOULD know the name of the piano player, but I don't).

It was Arthur Wilson. Good excerpts and information from Barney Miller in your post. What a great show it was.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    (ya know the one where Bogart doesn't actually say "Play it again, Sam!")
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Actually, that line is never spoken in the movie.
    Actually, you're actuallying what he actually wrote.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Actually, you're actuallying what he actually wrote.
    oops. I guess I read it too quickly.

I'll leave that there to prolong my regret and embarrassment.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Actually, don't worry about it.

Speaking of Barney Miller, that was where I think I first encountered Abe Vigoda, being too young to have caught The Godfather. I immediately thought of another actor, an English one, that he reminded me of. I won't name him and somebody can guess to see if they thought the same.

edit: Actually, some googling shows that it wasn't just me.

Max Wall?

Not familiar with Max Wall.

Last edited by jake; 06-24-2020 at 04:47 PM.

Speaking of Barney Miller, that was where I think I first encountered Abe Vigoda, being too young to have caught The Godfather. I immediately thought of another actor, an English one, that he reminded me of. I won't name him and somebody can guess to see if they thought the same.

Warren Mitchell?

The first match I get on Google images is Boris Karloff, who is also English.

Banned

Of course, '"Fish" was spun off from Barney Miller and lasted only 35 episodes. It was canceled not due to ratings, but due to the fact that Abe wanted more money than the producers were willing to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post

The first match I get on Google images is Boris Karloff, who is also English.
    DING!

The first time I saw him I thought he looked/sounded like Karloff doing a New York accent, though Karloff was already dead by then.

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    Of course, '"Fish" was spun off from Barney Miller and lasted only 35 episodes. It was canceled not due to ratings, but due to the fact that Abe wanted more money than the producers were willing to pay.
    Back when IMDB still had a fan forum (why did they get rid of that?!), I recall on the Barney Miller page, there was some commentary to the effect that Vigoda was a bit of a pain in the ass to work with. I gather he tended to be a bit of a prime donna on the set.

And yeah, Barney Miller was the first thing I would have seen Abe Vigoda in.

I remember David Letterman doing a Viewer Mail segment, were someone asked if something to happen to Dave and he couldn't host th eshow, would Paul Shaeffer would take over. Dave then explains that the line of succession went from Dave to Abe Vigoda (and I think a couple other people were in there too) before arriving at Paul.
    The first time I saw him I thought he looked/sounded like Karloff doing a New York accent, though Karloff was already dead by then.
    Yeah, I can see that, though I'd never thought about it. Hmm, imagine if Vigoda had been a classic horror movie instead of The Godfather, it could have changed the trajectory of his career.

People don't realize, but Vigoda was only in his 50s when Barney Miller was on TV. He looked a hell of a lot older.

And the Stooges join the army.....

This is the episode where Moe tells Curly..... every time you think you weaken the nation......

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Too funny!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Watching Godzilla vs. Megalon.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    People don't realize, but Vigoda was only in his 50s when Barney Miller was on TV. He looked a hell of a lot older.
    It was at least 30 years ago that he was rumored to be dead.

This was pretty good.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Rest in peace TV Legend Carl Reiner. I'm sure this guy will get his own thread but it felt somewhat appropriate to mention it in the Vintage TV thread since much of what we considered "sophisticated comedy" emanated from him.

RIP (98 YO).

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Rest in peace TV Legend Carl Reiner. I'm sure this guy will get his own thread but it felt somewhat appropriate to mention it in the Vintage TV thread since much of what we considered "sophisticated comedy" emanated from him.
    I remember Night Flight showing a section of The 2000 Year Old Man once, which then prompted me to rent the VHS. Carl mostly plays straight man, asking questions which Mel gives crazy answers to, but the two were a great team.

Carl: So what language was spoken 2000 years ago?
    Mel: Rock, basic rock .
    Carl: Could you give us a demonstration of Rock language?
    Mel: "Hey, whatcha doin' with that rock! Don't throw that rock at me! Put down that rock!"

Carl: What were some of the common professions 2000 years ago?
    Mel: Well, sometimes, you'd take a stick, and rub it, and rub it, and rub it, and rub it...
    Carl: Why did you do that?
    Mel: Because it was 2000 years ago! There was nothing else to do! Sometimes you'd hit the Earth with the stick. Or some people would stand around staring at the sky, that was real important job.

I recall there's also an explanation of how Christianity became popular than Judaism because the crosses were easier to make than the Star Of David.

And of cours,e from Carl Reiner came Rob Reiner, who besides being brilliant as Mike on All In The Family (I love the bit where he offers Archie what was left of the half eaten piece of pie Gloria let him have, Archie being upset because he planned to eat that piece of pie while watching Gunsmoke), also directed, among other movies, This Is Spinal Tap

"The collection of ponderous religious rock songs begs the question, 'What day did God create Spinal Tap, and couldn't he have rested on that day also?'"
    "And Shark Sandwich, received a two word review, simply read: 'Shit sandwich'".

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Rob and Ritchie are the only major characters left. (from the DvD Show, that is)