Page 32 of 133 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435364282132 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage TV thread

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    IMO Farley was one of the all time greats.
    His interview of Paul McCartney on SNL is utter comedic genius. "Remember when you did that album Abbey Road? That was awesome, man"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M_N2eeR338

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Chris Farley admitted himself that he only ever played one character, just at different volumes (I feel the same way about Jack Black). But yeah, lots of SNL alum have a limited appeal to me. A little bit of Adam Sandler, Jimmy Fallon or Will Ferrell goes a long way.

Anyway, I think 17 years old can potentially constitute "vintage TV". Dead Like Me is another old show that I've been watching on Prime Video. Unfortunately, apparently Prime is dropping it at the end of the month (I guess the contract is running out). Thankfully, I'm about half way through the second (and unfortunately last) season, so I should be able to wrap it up before the deadline. I always thought this was great.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Anyway, I think 17 years old can potentially constitute "vintage TV". Dead Like Me is another old show that I've been watching on Prime Video. Unfortunately, apparently Prime is dropping it at the end of the month (I guess the contract is running out). Thankfully, I'm about half way through the second (and unfortunately last) season, so I should be able to wrap it up before the deadline. I always thought this was great.
    https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...-so-vintage-TV
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Chris Farley admitted himself that he only ever played one character, just at different volumes (I feel the same way about Jack Black). But yeah, lots of SNL alum have a limited appeal to me. A little bit of Adam Sandler, Jimmy Fallon or Will Ferrell goes a long way.

I have no idea what talent people see in Adam Sandler.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Anyone who enjoyed Farley might be interested in the biography of him that his brother Tom wrote called "The Chris Farley Show". Tom includes stories from many of Chris family and friends. It is a sad tale, but gives a lot of insight into who Chris was. I found it hard to put down. Farley is from my wife hometown of Madison Wisconsin.

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    His interview of Paul McCartney on SNL is utter comedic genius. "Remember when you did that album Abbey Road? That was awesome, man"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M_N2eeR338
    Yup, a classic.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I liked him for the most part on SNL, but his movies have been mostly pretty bad. I did like “The Waterboy” and “Happy Gilmour”, but that is about it. I have not seen his latest film “Uncut Gems” but he got rave reviews for his acting (completely out of character) for it. I have been meaning to check it out on Netflix.

Well, I certainly agree with you, viz-a-vis his early stuff. Never thought any of tha twas funny. But I liked 50 First Dates, and I gather he's done a couple dramatic films that have been very well received. Wasn't there where he plays a man who becomes "broken" after his wife and kids die on September 11th?

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Well, I certainly agree with you, viz-a-vis his early stuff. Never thought any of tha twas funny. But I liked 50 First Dates, and I gather he's done a couple dramatic films that have been very well received. Wasn't there where he plays a man who becomes "broken" after his wife and kids die on September 11th?
    Spanglish is truly excelent acting for a dramatic role. As for his comedy, some good stuff, already mentioned but so much truly horrible stuff.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    ^ Grownups 1 & 2 are both so stitched together. Unfortunately my wife finds him entertaining.

Been watching, In The Heat of the Night. Very good stories and the acting is just as good. Like the way the characters play off each other. I don't like to humble brag, but how did I not watch this during it's run?
    The older I get, the better I was.

I've also wondered about this. When do we apply the "vintage" label? I seem to like Prime better than Netflix or at least, I spend more time there.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I liked him for the most part on SNL, but his movies have been mostly pretty bad. I did like “The Waterboy” and “Happy Gilmour”, but that is about it. I have not seen his latest film “Uncut Gems” but he got rave reviews for his acting (completely out of character) for it. I have been meaning to check it out on Netflix.
    I watched Uncut Gems the other night and thought it was so-so, worth watching on balance though. It is very fast and everyone shouts at everyone else, the plot is not particularly tight and it is slightly over-long. But the characters are plausible and it has an excellent ending (all IMO, of course!)
    We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease

So apparently Mister Rogers Neighborhood is another show that's leaving Amazon Prime, or at least the "free" service. From what i can gather, if you subscribe to the PBSKids premium service, you'll still get Mister Rogers, but the sort of "best of" offerings on the basic service won't be available after July 2. So I need to hurry and finish watching it!

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    I've also wondered about this. When do we apply the "vintage" label? I seem to like Prime better than Netflix or at least, I spend more time there.
    I looked "vintage" up on Wikipedia, and it says there's no "official" definition of "vintage", or what the distinction betwen "vintage" and "antique" is. But given that I was seeing early 60's guitars referred to as vintage" back in 83-84, I guess approximately 20 years makes something "vintage". I remember when I was a teenager, I read guitar magazines the way some boys read car magazines, and dreamed of owning vintage guitars. Well, as it happens I have several now. I guess most of the guitars I own now would be called "vintage", given that they were made circa 30-55 years ago. I guess I didn't imagine the day would come that somethign that was made in my lifetime would be called "vintage". I guess that kind of makes me "vintage" too, huh?

^^ In the 80s, a "Pre-CBS" Fender was highly desirable.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    ^^ In the 80s, a "Pre-CBS" Fender was highly desirable.

That's because CBS totally frelled up the company, just as Norlin did to Gibson, and Baldwin did to Gretsch. Rule number one of running a guitar company: don't put someone who doesn't know anything about guitars in charge. Yeah, I know, Leo Fender wasn't a guitarist, he was actually a radio repairman who segued into working on amps, which in turn, ultimately led to him designing and building guitars. But you had the sense he knew what he was doing.

What CBS and Norlin was take executives from their other divisions, guys who had been involved in home appliances or whatever, and put them in charge of the company, and they totally messed up everything. I'm less knowledgeable about what happened with Gibson, but at Fender, they engaged a lot of cost cutting maneuvers that ultimately affected the quality of the instruments. Yeah, you sometimes see guitarists playing 70's era Fenders. But a lot of them have put replacement pickups and hardware on them, and so on.

I can tell you from my own experience, I have a 1979 Strat, and it's one of the ones with the neck pocket that's too wide, so if you put a little too much pressure on the neck, it'll move and knock the guitar out of tune. I don't have that problem with my circa 2000 Mexican made Strat (or even my early 80's Fender Bullet S-3, which was built around the time CBS finally started figuring out what they'd been doing wrong for the last decade, apparently also starting to figure out maybe the guitar business was one they didn't need to be in).

Quote Originally Posted by Munster View Post
    I watched Uncut Gems the other night and thought it was so-so, worth watching on balance though. It is very fast and everyone shouts at everyone else, the plot is not particularly tight and it is slightly over-long. But the characters are plausible and it has an excellent ending (all IMO, of course!)
    Thank for the review!

I looked "vintage" up on Wikipedia, and it says there's no "official" definition of "vintage", or what the distinction betwen "vintage" and "antique" is. But given that I was seeing early 60's guitars referred to as vintage" back in 83-84, I guess approximately 20 years makes something "vintage". I remember when I was a teenager, I read guitar magazines the way some boys read car magazines, and dreamed of owning vintage guitars. Well, as it happens I have several now. I guess most of the guitars I own now would be called "vintage", given that they were made circa 30-55 years ago. I guess I didn't imagine the day would come that somethign that was made in my lifetime would be called "vintage". I guess that kind of makes me "vintage" too, huh?
    You know, I think of spirits such as wine as vintage and furniture as antique. But I guess I'll have to wear the vintage label to.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    You know, I think of spirits such as wine as vintage and furniture as antique. But I guess I'll have to wear the vintage label to.
    There are certain ages for each. To be an antique, furniture needs to be at least 100 years old. With cars, it's like 50.

There are certain ages for each. To be an antique, furniture needs to be at least 100 years old. With cars, it's like 50.
    Regarding cars, in the UK at least:

Cars built before 31 December 1904 are categorised as Veteran. An identical car built in January 1905 would not therefore be referred to as Veteran but, in common with other cars built between 1 January 1905 and 31 December 1918, would usually be referred to as Edwardian. Cars built between 1 January 1919 and 31 December 1930 are classified as Vintage. Certain makes of quality and sporting cars built in the years between 1930 and World War II are referred to as Post Vintage Thoroughbred. The term Classic Car is not necessarily defined by any specific time period and is open to interpretation. All motoring enthusiasts have their own personal favourites that they consider to be Classic.

According to carinsurance.com, anything over 15 years is a "classic" and over 25 is an "antique". At least in the US.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

That's because CBS totally frelled up the company, just as Norlin did to Gibson, and Baldwin did to Gretsch. Rule number one of running a guitar company: don't put someone who doesn't know anything about guitars in charge. Yeah, I know, Leo Fender wasn't a guitarist, he was actually a radio repairman who segued into working on amps, which in turn, ultimately led to him designing and building guitars. But you had the sense he knew what he was doing.

What CBS and Norlin was take executives from their other divisions, guys who had been involved in home appliances or whatever, and put them in charge of the company, and they totally messed up everything. I'm less knowledgeable about what happened with Gibson, but at Fender, they engaged a lot of cost cutting maneuvers that ultimately affected the quality of the instruments. Yeah, you sometimes see guitarists playing 70's era Fenders. But a lot of them have put replacement pickups and hardware on them, and so on.

I can tell you from my own experience, I have a 1979 Strat, and it's one of the ones with the neck pocket that's too wide, so if you put a little too much pressure on the neck, it'll move and knock the guitar out of tune. I don't have that problem with my circa 2000 Mexican made Strat (or even my early 80's Fender Bullet S-3, which was built around the time CBS finally started figuring out what they'd been doing wrong for the last decade, apparently also starting to figure out maybe the guitar business was one they didn't need to be in).
    Ironically, Fender had the rename the Broadcaster the Telecaster because Gretsch had a drum kit named Broadcaster. Today, Fender owns Gretsch.

I used to own 2 early 70s Strats, neither of which I had a problem with. I wish I still had them because now they're worth in the neighborhood of $4K.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Ironically, Fender had the rename the Broadcaster the Telecaster because Gretsch had a drum kit named Broadcaster. Today, Fender owns Gretsch.
    I saw a couple guitars that Fender made that looked like bastard off spring between a Telecaster and a Gretsch. One was sort of like a Tele version of a White Falcon, the other was orange, like a Chet Atkins hollowbody. They were both hollowbody instruments, with soundholes, and Gretsch style electronics and hardware. Supposedly, they only built a couple prototypes, like a "concept car" in the car industry, but couldn't offer them to the public for copyright reasons, which doesn't make sense to me if Fender owns Gretsch now.
    I used to own 2 early 70s Strats, neither of which I had a problem with. I wish I still had them because now they're worth in the neighborhood of $4K.
    I'd have to get out my Strat history books (I have three different ones), but I believe that the real trouble didn't start until like 73 or so. They changed the bridges on the Strats, using a different type of metal and changing the bridge saddles, which affected the tone. They changed how the pickups were potted, so they became more microphonic. They also started putting these heavy finishes on the guitar that were supposedly more durable, but once again, affected the instruments' acoustic properties.

Then there was the neck pocket. I've never really heard a good explanation for this, but on a lot of the guitars made during the 70's, the neck pocket is wider than it should be. As I said, this gave the neck too much wiggle room, which turn affected tuning stability. Apparently, on some of the guitars, the neck pockets weren't big enough, so they had to be enlarged, but instead of taking it a table mounted routing device, which is very easy to control and to do small amounts of routing, they reportedly used a handheld one, and as such, they often times overcompensated. Maybe this was another cost cutting on the part of CBS, or maybe the jackasses running the company put the quotas too high, and such, those kind of things had to be done to get the number of guitars out in the field that CBS was pressuring them for.

Oh, and more thing is the weight of the guitars. When Leo was running the show, he had specific weight requirements for the wood. Again, I'd have to look that up to tell you what they were, but CBS, again in another fit of cutting corners, decided to remove the weight specifications. As such, some guitasr were lighter than the CBS guitars (probably), some where about the same, and others were way heavier. My '79 Strat is a good example: it's one of the heavier Strats I've come across (other than that Walnut Strat I played at Heights Guitars once, that was about the same, but most of th eones I've seen, even the ash bodied ones, are way lighter).