Page 2 of 133 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage TV thread

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    I'm looking for my digital version of Taxi. It's time to watch that series again.
    WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT... DOOOOOOOOES... A...

Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    Most recently I ran through the Bob Newhart Show from the 70s during my lunch breaks at work. Now I'm on season 2 of the Newhart series he did set in Vermont.
    )
    I was watching The Bob Newhart Show last year, I think it was, on FETV that was showing it on the weekends. Suzanne Pleshette was actually kinda hot. Lots of good episodes on that show.

I actually remember watching Newhart when it was originally on. There was a good episode where they show the dreams everyone is having. Dick has a dream that everyone is acting normal. He pinches himself, to make sure he's not having a dream, and when he wakes up, he decides to ask his wife there's a way to pinch yourself back into a dream. When she says no, he simply says, "Damn!".

And of course, Newhart had the greatest series finale ever. "Honey, wake up! I had this dream that I was an inn keeper in Vermont!"

Quote Originally Posted by Proglodite View Post
    Re: Buck Rogers - one of the reasons the second season was so bad was Gil Gerard insisted on toning down the sex; that just made Buck's character too bland.
    I wonder if that's why Erin Grey went from wearing those skin tight lycra jumpsuits in the first season to wearing an outfit that actually more or less looks like it might be a military uniform. Needless to say, I prefered the lycra.

Wasn't Twiki played by Felix Silla?
    His physical performance was, yes. Silla was also Cousin Itt on The Addams Family. Twiki's voice was done in the first season by the legendary Mel Blanc. I'm not sure I knew who Mel Blanc was at the time, though it's kind of a moot point, as I believe he was uncredited. They had some kind of dispute between seasons, and Mel quit, so they had to get someone else who didn't sound anything like Mel, to do Twiki's voice for the second season.
    Barney Miller and Hogan’s Heroes are two of my favorites among others
    I was watching Barney Miller, All In The Family, Archie Bunker's Place, and a couple other shows FamilyNet channel a few years ago. FamilyNet has since morphed into the Cowboy Channel, and well, I guess they decided those shows didn't fit into "the new look" or whatever.

I forget which channel I was watching The Bionic Woman on. I was watching The Six Millon Dollar Man on something called The ESquire Channel, but that turned out to be a short lived affair (the Esquire Channel is now defunct).

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    When I was in elementary school I had a Hogan's Heroes lunch box. One end had Lebeau digging a tunnel right under an "Escaping is Verboten!" sign, and the other had Newkirk giving Schultz a hotfoot.
    You must be about the same age as me. I’m 60 and I had that box also. It’s now worth a lot of money as a collectors lunch box. My mother threw it out. Ugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Barney Miller and Hogan’s Heroes are two of my favorites among others

Those are two that made it across to the UK. HH was shown in a prime time early evening slot. Barney Miller was one of those programmes I found tucked away in a late-night slot.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    One I always liked was "Green Acres". Lots of subtle humor in that one.
    Hilarious show. Lots of not-so-subtle humor, too.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Any more obscure shows? Maybe Highway Patrol or Peter Gunn. Why doesn't, The FBI, get more rerun play. Not seen it in years but I liked the ones I saw. Watching the original, The Outer Limits on Prime. Bring back, Thriller.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Speaking of Dragnet. I remember the blue boy episode.

"Hogan's Heroes" - the "Nazis were kind of cute and not all bad" show.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Hilarious show. Lots of not-so-subtle humor, too.
    I thought it was funny that Oliver's Mother didn't like him but liked Lisa much more. Mr. Kimball? Oh man.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    How could they do all the things they did with no one catching on? The bad guys had great uniforms though.

I prefer to think of it as the "the Nazis were stupid and that's why they lost the war" show. I've occasionally heard talk of how "disrespectful" the show was, but there's three things to consider:

1. Robert Clary, the actor who played LeBeau, was himself a concentration camp survivor.
    2. All four of the main Nazis (i.e. Schultz, Klink, Burkhalter, and Hockstetter) were all played by Jewish actors.
    3. The show was set in a POW camp, not a concentration camp, which as I understand, is a significant difference.

If the show is disrespectful to anyone or anything, it's the Nazis, but if you ask me, that's as it should be. It's a funny show, that's all it needs to be. And from what I gather, it was popular with people who actually served in WWII, too.

I saw Hogan's Heroes mostly in reruns, and almost never a full episode, because it was used as already-in-progress filler after Boston Bruins games to just fill up the remaining portion of a half hour until they could resume their regular schedule. Later on they switched to using The Odd Couple for the same purpose. And then they took the Bruins off free TV...

I saw Hogan's Heroes mostly in reruns, and almost never a full episode, because it was used as already-in-progress filler after Boston Bruins games to just fill up the remaining portion of a half hour until they could resume their regular schedule. Later on they switched to using The Odd Couple for the same purpose. And then they took the Bruins off free TV...
    Side note: I've never comprehended why, with the glut of pay TV sports channels, they still need to show sports on broadcast TV.

Yeah, they're crowding out important schedule time that could be used for more wonderful "reality" shows...

That may be why German TV canceled Seinfeld and replaced it with Hogan's Heroes.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

In grade school, a police officer visited and talked to the class. One kid asked him what he thought of Adam 12, which at the time was still in first run episodes. He said it wasn't very realistic because police officers spend most of their time doing paperwork. But then, that wouldn't make for very compelling television.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Banned
    "Run For Your Life", anyone?

There’s an interview with Werner Klemperer in which he said he would only play a nazi if they were made fools of. He also served in the US Army. His father Otto of course the great conductor fled Germany when Hitler came to power I believe. And yes they we’re Jewish. So was John Banner I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Speaking of Dragnet. I remember the blue boy episode.
    Funny, because that's the episode I always think of first. a couple of weeks ago, I put the show on for the first time in many years and guess which episode was on?

I thought it was funny that Oliver's Mother didn't like him but liked Lisa much more. Mr. Kimball? Oh man.
    Ya know, I never liked the unrealistically dumb characters in shows. Even Edith Bunker until I realized how well Jean Stapleton played the role. But, with Green Acres, EVERY character is dumb and Oliver is the only "smart" one. That show still cracks me up. My favorite episode is one where Arnold Ziffel goes missing.

Mr. Haney cracks me up. He even has a double in Washington.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Yeah, they're crowding out important schedule time that could be used for more wonderful "reality" shows...
    Good point. I know what I'd put in there instead of sports, but what some jackass TV executive would put in there is another matter.

I guess with sports, I just get annoyed about programs being pre-empted and such. Remember when The Simpsons did that "Who Shot Mr. Burns" thing? I recall they actually did a special, that aired before the season premiere, with the guy who hosts America's Most Wanted "investigating" all the evidence in the Burns shooting. Unfortunately, because it was football sesaon, whichever game it was ran over, and we never got to see the first half of it. Now that I think about it, I bet it's on Youtube these days, I'll have to look for it.

Actually, it's not even the games themselves running over that bothers me. I get it, there's lots of money to be made in sports, and you have an ironclad contract that says you can't interrupt the game (as Heidi-Gate), but once the game is over, that should be it, announce the final score, then go to whatever you're supposed to be showing. No, they gotta have these dumbfucks come on and spend another half hour talking about the game that just ended. That's what really irritates me. I went through a phase where I was DVRing David Letterman, and I'd go tow atch it the next day, and I'd maybe five minutes of game, 20 minutes of post-game, 30 minutes of local news, then maybe 10 minutes of Letterman! Oy!

Another one that pissed me was David Letterman being interrupted so they could go to the press conference after a Cavaliers game, I guess so that LeBron James could explain what they did wrong that caused them to be eliminated from the playoffs. Again. (This was a few years before they finally did win the championship, giving Cleveland it's third pro sports championship since 1965 or whenever it was).
    In grade school, a police officer visited and talked to the class. One kid asked him what he thought of Adam 12, which at the time was still in first run episodes. He said it wasn't very realistic because police officers spend most of their time doing paperwork. But then, that wouldn't make for very compelling television.
    Well, that's the line you always heard about police shows, none of them are particularly realistic. There's even an episode of Barney Miller, where Yemana reiterates the typical commentary about the lack of realism. When the guy he's talking to says "Ya know, on TV, they usually catch the crook", Yemana fires back with, "Good example!"

But I've also heard that Barney Miller was the one show that actually was more or less realistic, in that it portrayed the day to day life of a police detective, in terms of dealing with small change disputes or just plain weird incidents (e.g. a guy going nuts in a department store because of the piped in Muzak), bureaucracy, etc. One episode had a plot that hinged on an officer dealing with his own feelings after fatally shooting a bank robber. Heavy stuff for a sitcom, and I'm not sure there were even "serious" cop shows that dealt with that kind of back then.

But I still say the best episode of Barney Miller was the one where Wojo brought the brownies to work. That one and the one where Fish got shot "in the cheek" (i.e. ass).

I was watching that for awhile, via a download off I got off a torrent site about 7 or 8 years ago, I think. I dont' think I ever finished the series, but it was a good program. I think one of the vintage TV channels was showing it for awhile too.
    There’s an interview with Werner Klemperer in which he said he would only play a nazi if they were made fools of. He also served in the US Army. His father Otto of course the great conductor fled Germany when Hitler came to power I believe. And yes they we’re Jewish. So was John Banner I believe.
    As I posted yesterday, (post #30), Klemperer, Banner, Leon Askin (who played General Burkhalter) and Howard Caine (Major Hockstetter) were all Jewish. Klemperer, Banner, and Askin had all fled Nazi Germany. And I believe all four of them served in the US military. Wikipedia says that Kemperer insisted that Hogan had to always win at the end of each episode, no matter happened, the outcome had to be in the favor of the Allies.

Mr. Haney cracks me up. He even has a double in Washington.
    Ooooh, cut man, cut man.

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    Was that like a Fugitive kind of set up?

Ya know, I never liked the unrealistically dumb characters in shows. Even Edith Bunker until I realized how well Jean Stapleton played the role. But, with Green Acres, EVERY character is dumb and Oliver is the only "smart" one. That show still cracks me up. My favorite episode is one where Arnold Ziffel goes missing.
    Andy Griffith would be nothing without Don Knotts.

Andy Griffith would be nothing without Don Knotts.
    I don't see Barney Fife as the same type of character. More of a fool than just a clueless dummy.