Page 27 of 133 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777127 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage TV thread

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I never warmed up to Leslie Neilson's comedy schtick. There were some funny moments in that movie, though. I never watched the series.
    The thing was, up until Airplane! (which totally changed the trajectory of his career), Nielsen (note correct spelling) was more or less a dramatic actor. So being that I was born in 1973, my main exposure to him was via Airplane!, Police Squad, etc. Well, there was Forbidden Planet, but I'm not sure I'd seen that yet when I was 10 or 11. I think I knew that movie at the time more from reading about Robbie The Robot or the "Id Monster" sequence in Starlog.

Then one day, I found myself watching this movie he did in the late 60's called Dayton's Devils (also starring Lainie Kazan, SSgt Barry Sadler, and Rory Calhoun), and he's delivering all of his dialog with the exact same tone, intonation, cadence, etc as when he was doing comedy. I knew this was a "serious" film, but it was hard to not expect something funny to happen, and of course it never does.

Of course, I've seen Forbidden Planet many times since then. The scene of the Id monster attacking the crew is still one of my favorite special effects sequences, and Louis and Bebe Barton's "electronic tonalities" still sounding as stunning today as they must have back when the film was made.

Leslie Neilson was hilarious in an early episode of MASH. He played it straight but he was really funny.

I never warmed up to Leslie Neilson's comedy schtick. There were some funny moments in that movie, though. I never watched the series.
    I loved "The Naked Gun" movie. I remember seeing it in a theater and during the scene during the baseball game I laughed so hard I cried. I have seen it since on TV and not thought it was as funny, but I think at the time the character was just so different from anything Neilson had ever done that it had that kind of impact. The movies he did afterwards were not as good for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    The thing was, up until Airplane! (which totally changed the trajectory of his career), Nielsen (note correct spelling) was more or less a mediocre dramatic actor.
    Fixed that for ya.

"Forbidden Planett" is a very cool movie despite him.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

"Forbidden Planett" is a very cool movie despite him.
    Well, between Walter Pidgeon, Anne Francis, Robby The Robot, The Id monster, Louis & Bebe Barton, Earl Holliman, and Richard Anderson, you'd have to try really hard to mess a picture like that up!

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Forbidden Planet is one of the most Influential movies of all time, taking its
    cues from Shakespeare's The Tempest. Star Trek took a lot of cues from this movie.

Not necessarily vintage TV, but tonight on TCM, they are showing Rankin & Bass movies, beginning with a personal favorite, "Mad Monster Party."
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    My wife is a major fan of all things Lucy; I Love Lucy, The Lucy Show, Here's Lucy. I appreciate I Love Lucy for its legacy and innovation but her '60s shows sucked. By the time she did Here's Lucy her voice was ravaged by decades of smoking to the point were it was lowered an octave.
    This is very true; the first season of The Lucy Show has its moments, as the Lucille Ball-Vivian Vance chemistry still works. The episode where Lucy and Vivian nearly drown in a shower is amusing and clever. Then it all went to hell, Vivian Vance left, the plots grew increasingly inane, Lucy became more and more unbearable, and - worst of all - Gale Gordon arrived and pretended like he was an adequate foil for Lucy. You never bought that Lucy was in any way intimidated by him. Lucy might as well have worn a cardboard sign saying "Yes, he plays my boss, but I sign the checks around here."

What I find amusing is that the very last episode of Here's Lucy - "Lucy Fights the System" - is mostly a showcase for Lucie Arnaz. And dammit, wouldn't you know it, Lucie is VERY funny. She started the series out awkward as hell but by the end she'd become a polished comedienne. I kind of wonder if she'd have had a chance to shine had she been given her own series.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    This is very true; the first season of The Lucy Show has its moments, as the Lucille Ball-Vivian Vance chemistry still works. The episode where Lucy and Vivian nearly drown in a shower is amusing and clever. Then it all went to hell, Vivian Vance left, the plots grew increasingly inane, Lucy became more and more unbearable, and - worst of all - Gale Gordon arrived and pretended like he was an adequate foil for Lucy. You never bought that Lucy was in any way intimidated by him. Lucy might as well have worn a cardboard sign saying "Yes, he plays my boss, but I sign the checks around here."

What I find amusing is that the very last episode of Here's Lucy - "Lucy Fights the System" - is mostly a showcase for Lucie Arnaz. And dammit, wouldn't you know it, Lucie is VERY funny. She started the series out awkward as hell but by the end she'd become a polished comedienne. I kind of wonder if she'd have had a chance to shine had she been given her own series.
    She did get a shot at it but it was only fleeting (per Wiki):

Arnaz also had a short-lived series of her own, The Lucie Arnaz Show, on CBS in 1985. The reviewer for The New York Times described the show as "the always ingratiating Miss Arnaz as a psychologist who not only writes an advice column, but also takes calls from listeners on her own radio program."

Also, I thought that she was very good in her role in "The Jazz Singer", for which she earned a Golden Globe nomination for Best Supporting Actress, in 1981.

This clip from Seinfeld fits this thread perfectly imho - particularly the "You could've watched six hours of Lucy!" bit.

Not necessarily vintage TV, but tonight on TCM, they are showing Rankin & Bass movies, beginning with a personal favorite, "Mad Monster Party."
    Always liked MMP even when I was much younger. Forbidden Planet is a sort of landmark sci-fi but the one thing that always bothered me was they used the same uniforms as they did in, Queen of Outer Space.
    The older I get, the better I was.

I wonder if Larry, Curly, and Shemp ever got really hurt from being poked in the eyes by Moe...

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I wonder if Larry, Curly, and Shemp ever got really hurt from being poked in the eyes by Moe...
    Joe Besser quit The Stooges because he got tired of the physical nature of what they were doing. He claimed that Curly had scars on his face from all the times he was slapped by Moe.

Been watching Rockford Files on Peacock. Fantastic classic TV.

Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    Been watching Rockford Files on Peacock. Fantastic classic TV.
    I've got that on my Prime watch list. Used to like watching Rockford Files.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I've got that on my Prime watch list. Used to like watching Rockford Files.
    Also my favorite TV theme song ever.
    I read that there's a team in England that's been using it for 40+ years as their theme when they take the field.

Banned
    I read that there's a team in England that's been using it for 40+ years as their theme when they take the field.
    And, those cool rides he had! Like the first one, a 1974 Gold exterior/tan interior Firebird Esprit, with a 400 cubic inch engine. Man, was that a vehicle from heck or what?

th (1).jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    You have to watch carefully to see it, but he bends his fingers up and actually pokes them in the eyebrows.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Ever noticed James Garner was "Jim" in every post-Maverick TV show he was on? Kind of like how Tony Danza was "Tony" in every show.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    You have to watch carefully to see it, but he bends his fingers up and actually pokes them in the eyebrows.
    Yes, he hits them in the forehead. I know I mentioned this before, but that didn't keep Mo from telling all the kiddies that it was all real during his interview on a children's show at age 76.

I'll say this, if there's anyone who got smacked around more than Larry Fine, I'd like to know who that is.

Probably one of the first places I ever head a "Mood symplifier" (or maybe it wasn't specifically a Mood model...well, you know what I mean). That, the Four Seasons song (Oh What I Night, or whatever it's actual title is) and Uriah Heep Live were probably the first places I heard one. Also had a really cool sort of country style guitar solo originally (which either edited out during later seasons, or at least during some rerun broadcasts).
    Ever noticed James Garner was "Jim" in every post-Maverick TV show he was on?
    Not true, on Nichols, he played Sheriff Frank Nichols. In Streets Of Laredo, he was Woodrow F. Call, on Chicago Hope he was Hubert Miller, and on God The Devil & Bob, he was God. And on First Monday, he Chief Justice Thomas Bracken.
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 05-24-2020 at 02:13 PM.

^ So God's name wasn't Jim?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ So God's name wasn't Jim?
    Apparently not. I don't know if the show lasted long enough for us to find out.

The Mannix theme song is the best!

no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Yes, obviously he's poking them on their foreheads, but there must've been some mishaps.