Thread: Vintage TV thread

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Answering the above Addams Family v. Munsters post: Addams Family all the way. Truly clever, inventive, comedic TV. I might take Marilyn over Grand Ma Ma (imagine that,) but individually and collectively, this is a dominant comparison win for The Addams Family. Having said that, The Munsters was still a great show, and well worth watching.
    I generally agree. The characters had more depth. There were more gimmicks and craziness.

I think it's a toss-up between Herman and Gomez. I might give the nod to Gomez, but Fred Gwynne was just so great in that role.
    "Don't look here. The joke's in your hand."

- Public Restroom Wall

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I'll probably watch some episodes. Martin Landau is genius, even in a campy sci-fi show.....
    Well, if I my TV service included Comet TV I'd be inclined to watch too. But for me, that show was all about Catherine Schell.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Answering the above Addams Family v. Munsters post: Addams Family all the way. Truly clever, inventive, comedic TV. I might take Marilyn over Grand Ma Ma (imagine that,) but individually and collectively, this is a dominant comparison win for The Addams Family. Having said that, The Munsters was still a great show, and well worth watching.
    When I was a kid I did not think The Addams Family was funny at all, and would have gone Munsters all the way. As an adult it is the opposite. Although I still appreciate The Munsters, much of the Addams Family humor that went over my head as a kid I find hilarious now.

Munsters for me over the Adamses. Fred Gwynn was hysterical. Now, who's hotter, Morticia or Lilly. I kinda like Morticia a little more.

Definitely Morticia.

Seems a little tight, though.

- Public Restroom Wall

Eh, Lilly's got this Latina sexiness that kinda perks me up......

But for me, that show was all about Catherine Schell.
    I'd take Barbara Bain instead.......

I'd take Barbara Bain instead.......
    Catherine Schell was not only on Doctor Who, but she was in one that was co-written by Douglas Adams. That trumps being on Mission: Impossible

Parrots ripped my flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Lee Meriwether was on Star Trek, was Catwoman, and Lily Munster in an 80's version of the Munsters that I never saw.

Watching a Stooges episode where they get kicked out of England......

There go my brain cells again. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Catherine Schell was not only on Doctor Who, but she was in one that was co-written by Douglas Adams. That trumps being on Mission: Impossible
    I'll see your Catherine Schell and raise you Wanda Ventham; was in The Avengers, The Prisoner, Doctor Who and UFO!

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    I'll see your Catherine Schell and raise you Wanda Ventham; was in The Avengers, The Prisoner, Doctor Who and UFO!

Woah! Is that a little nipple I see there?!

Hmmm, that's a good CV. I had to look up to see which Doctor Who episodes she was on. Turns out one of them is a "mostly missing" (that's how Wikipedia describes it) story from the Troughton era, and the other two I haven't seen since the 1980's (simply because I haven't gotten the DVD's yet, thanks to the way I got cheated circa 2007-2009 by my then employers).

Something tells me Ms. Ventham isn't the only actress to appear on all four of those shows (well, almost certainly three of them, since The Prisoner was mercifully limited to just one series, thanks to the good senses of Patrick McGoohan, I believe, it's less likely there's as much overlap there). I never realized how small the British TV/film industry was until I started watching the Doctor Who DVD's, and it seemed like everyone from every show and every movie, worked on every other TV show and movie. Or at least that's the way it seems sometimes when you watch the production notes and you start recognize the names of shows that you've never seen, like Softly Softly, or The Two Ronnies or Emmerdale Farm or whatever. ANd how many people from Doctor Who ended up on EastEnders?!

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post

I prefer Diana Rigg in The Avengers.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I prefer Diana Rigg in The Avengers.
    definitely. Ventham was gorgeous but she's to Emma Peel what Lee Meriwether was to Catwoman - they lacked that certain 'meow'. Once you saw Diana Rigg or Julie Newmar in a black leather jumpsuit, there was no going back.

Parrots ripped my flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Once you saw Diana Rigg or Julie Newmar in a black leather jumpsuit, there was no going back.

Dude.

So today I watched Planet Of The Daleks, the fourth serial of Jon Pertwee's penultimate series as the Third Doctor. This is remembered at least by me, anyway, for the shots of the "Dalek army" in the cave, which is quite obviously really a bunch of off the shelf toy Daleks. I remember thinking that I had seen that in a Patrick Troughton era story, back in the 80's, but 21st century Googling (or Wiki-ing or whatever-the-frell) revealed that all the Patrick Troughton era Dalek stories are MIA. Then someone else reminded me it was actually Planet Of The Daleks I was thinking of.

Anyway, one of the things I love about the Pertwee era Doctor Who stuff is the music which relies heavily on synthesizers. The Dudley Simpson composed scores, like this one, do a good job of mixing the synth work with "live musicians" (as the production notes explaining the situation, implying the author of said notes doesn't know that synthesizer is also played by a "live musician"). I wonder how much of that was done with the BBC Radiophonic Workshop's EMS Synthi-100.

During the Tom Baker era, I think Dudley Simpson backed away from the synths, and went back to using more acoustic instruments and such. There are things that sound like they could be the synth, but I'm not sure if it's synth or just electric organ, which also turns up a lot in Simpson's Doctor Who work. And, the Radiophonic Workshop was also using the synths to do a lot of the sound effects by this time. But I like the sounds you hear in the scores of things like The Mutants, The Sea Devils, and Planet Of The Daleks.

Of course, in the early, John Nathan-Turner sacked Dudley Simpson, and hired more more "modern" composers, and you got all those synth oriented scores during the 80's, but even at the time (or at least a few years later, when I got to see them) I didn't like the 80's era scores as much as the stuff from the Pertwee era. Especially when you get into the Sylvester McCoy era, and it's all digital synths, all the time, and it's just another garish reminder that there are things about the 80's I definitely don't miss.

^^ A while ago, there were 2 Doctor Who movies, circa 1965/66 on one of the digital sub-channels. The first was still in black and white, the second in that newfangled color. Instead of being a time lord from the planet Gallifrey, the doctor was just some guy who answered to the name "Doctor Who."
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    ^^ A while ago, there were 2 Doctor Who movies, circa 1965/66 on one of the digital sub-channels. The first was still in black and white, the second in that newfangled color. Instead of being a time lord from the planet Gallifrey, the doctor was just some guy who answered to the name "Doctor Who."
    Yeah, those were the ones with Peter Cushing playing the Doctor. As I recall, he was a human inventor who was literally named "Who". They're actually both in colour. I remember seeing the first one when I was around 10 years old, and then I finally saw the second just a couple years ago, on TCM. I don't remember much about th efirst one, but as I recall, it essentially followed the same plot line as the first Daleks serial.

I believe the Supreme Dalek who appeared in Planet Of The Daleks (the serial I watched yesterday) was actually a prop from one of the movies. Apparently, Terry Nation had hung onto I think four Daleks from the movie, and the BBC borrowed one for Planet Of The Daleks.

It's worth noting, since we're talking about Daleks, that their creator Terry Nation had hung onto his intellectual property rights to the Daleks, and was basically wealthy by their success. Supposedly, Planet Of The Daleks was made because the Daleks had been incorporated into an existing story by another author the year before (that would be Day Of The Daleks, which I haven't seen since the 80's, but I have a good memory of most of the story). It turned out that was I considered "not cricket", so Barry Letts made a deal with Nation, whereby the next Dalek story had to be written by Nation himself, and in the future, Nation would get first refusal on any other Dalek story.

On the documentary on the Genesis Of The Daleks story, there's a great line where Barry Letts said that Terry had brought a Dalek story to him, and Barry said "Terry, this is the same story you sold us last year. And I'm not entirely sure it's not the same story you sold us the year before that!" So Barry suggested to Terry that he should do a story exploring the origins of the Daleks.

Been watching one Doctor Who story every day lately. Last night was Death To The Daleks, which was right in the middle of Jon Pertwee's last series on the show. Good story, as usual. One interesting thing is this one of the few 70's era Doctor Who stories that wasn't scored by Dudley Simpson (who I hadn't realized until last night, passed away in 2017). The score for this was composed by Carey Blyton, who was apparently another one of these people who thought electronics was "doing musicians out of work" (yeah, because just anyone can walk up to a synthesizer and play the kind of stuff on that "real musicians" play on acoustic instruments ). So he was more interested in using acoustic instrumentation in his music. And in this case, the entire score is performed by a saxophone quartet. They recorded the score across two sessions, and then the tapes were processed at the Radiophonic Workshop (probably they played them through the Synthi 100 or whatever synths they had at the BBC, adding a bit of ring modulation and other effects to the performances). The results are quite appealing, another one I wish I could hear on it's own, on CD or whatever.

Tonight on Svengoolie the feature film is.............

Munster Go Home

I'm pretty sure I saw it as a kiddo in the 60s. If I'm not too plastered by 8pm I'll be watching.......

Munster Go Home

I'm pretty sure I saw it as a kiddo in the 60s. If I'm not too plastered by 8pm I'll be watching.......
    A good plastering is required for this one.

- Public Restroom Wall

Watching a 3S short titled......Bubble Trouble....

Munster Go Home
    Watching this....just saw a young Richard Dawson in it.

I'm plastered. Watching the second half of Munster Go Home. They're in England......

Watching Mister Roger's Neighborhood. Last week, I watched the first week of the show, from 1968, when it was still being done in black and white. This week's episodes are from 1971. I was thinking I wouldn't know the ones from 1971, but I do remember one, I think, because I remember the business of Henrietta Pussycat freaking out because King Friday is talking about giving the Key To The City to someone, and Henrietta Pussycat starts spazzing out because she thinks that means the person who receives the key will be able to get into everyone's homes, including her's.

Oh, and one the of the episodes from 68 I watched last week was the one where that photo came from that popped up a few years ago of him apparently flipping the bird with both hands (actually, he was doing one of those songs you do with his kids where you do the hand gestures that go with the lyrics, but obviously taken out of context).