Page 22 of 133 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272122 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage TV thread

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    ^^ Rumsfeld was Nixon's Defense Secretary. That's enough to mock.
    Yeah, but 10 years after the fact?!

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I don't remember Roseanne being that political, unless you count the gay side characters or the episode where Jackie was abused by her boyfriend and she still hesitated about leaving
    The last few seasons she was so egotistical. In the beginning she would allow jokes or situations that would be self deprecating but the last few seasons was always trying to make her character look so hip and woke. Having guest stars like Joan Collins play her cousin, Jim Varney playing a Duke or Prince or whatever. Yikes.

My wife is a major fan of all things Lucy; I Love Lucy, The Lucy Show, Here's Lucy. I appreciate I Love Lucy for its legacy and innovation but her '60s shows sucked. By the time she did Here's Lucy her voice was ravaged by decades of smoking to the point were it was lowered an octave.

But the story of how I Love Lucy and Desilu came about is pretty inspiring considering CBS had to be convinced that an American audience would embrace a Cuban-American character and that same Cuban would revolutionize the TV industry.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    My wife is a major fan of all things Lucy; I Love Lucy, The Lucy Show, Here's Lucy. I appreciate I Love Lucy for its legacy and innovation but her '60s shows sucked. By the time she did Here's Lucy her voice was ravaged by decades of smoking to the point were it was lowered an octave.
    Those are difficult to get through. I don't believe I ever made it through one episode.

But the story of how I Love Lucy and Desilu came about is pretty inspiring considering CBS had to be convinced that an American audience would embrace a Cuban-American character and that same Cuban would revolutionize the TV industry.
    So true. People don't realize what he brought to the industry, like using multiple camera angles instead of just having a stationary one parked at the front of the set.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I haven't watched any of those shows in ages. I actually remember seeing Here's Lucy when I was little, that's the one with the puppet animation version of Lucy in the opening credits, right? That was the first one I remember seeing.

Then later in the 80's and 90's, I was introduced to the two earlier series. I Love Lucy is of course a classic. I actually can't remember watching it much, but there's certain clips that keep popping up in anthology shows and whatever again and again, like Lucy's fake nose catching on fire when someone lights a cigarette for her, or the thing with the candy production line, I've seen all that so much it feels like I've watched the show.

The 60's era show I only remember seeing a few episodes. It was ok. There was one where she and Ethel serve as chaperones for her daughter's beach party weekend get away or whatever it was supposed to be. For some reason, that's the main one I remember.

BTW, I noticed you didn't mention her 80's era sitcom, Life With Lucy, which only lasted a few weeks. I think even ardent Lucille Ball supporters who loved her earlier shows found that one abysmal.

As for Desilu Studios, I recall reading that it was Lucy's own intervention that either got Star Trek on the air or saved it from cancellation (well, one of the times it was almost cancelled). I also recall reading she had the computer that was featured prominently in the first season of Mannix 86'd for subsequent seasons because she felt it was "too complicated" for the audience or some such.

I knew Desilu from Star Trek, I had absolutely no idea it was linked with I Love Lucy.

There's a gag in Crocodile Dundee, where Mick Dundee arrives in New York and sees a TV in his hotel room. "Oh, I saw that once" he says, turning it on. I Love Lucy is playing. "Yep, that's what I saw".

I think it's also used in Back to the Future.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    I knew Desilu from Star Trek, I had absolutely no idea it was linked with I Love Lucy.
    DESI(Arnaz)LU(cy)
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I don't remember Roseanne being that political, unless you count the gay side characters or the episode where Jackie was abused by her boyfriend and she still hesitated about leaving him.
    In the reboot, Rosanne was extremely pro-Trump political. In real life, that's what got her fired from her own show.

The stuff I thought was heavy handed was things like the Different Strokes episode where Arnold's step brother gets abducted (or maybe he just ran away from home, I can't remember which), or the one where Arnold's friend gets molested by the bike store owner. THey did that every once in awhile in the 80's, you had the "very special episode". There'd be something to do with drugs, or drunk driving, or teen pregnancy or whatever. And don't even get me started on Degrassi Junior High.
    After that episode, my mom hated Gordon Jump because he played that molester. I'd ask her, "how can you hate Mr. Carlson from WKRP?"

One show that I actually really like, but I can see how some people might feel it was too heavy handed was Designing Women. Like every other episode, Dixie Carter would have to launch into some tirade about politicians, or the IRS or girly magazines, or whatever. The really funny thing is, I read Dixie Carter chaffed at doing that stuff because she was actually a conservative, but I guess the show's creators (who are actually friends of Bill and Hilary Clinton) envisioned Julia Sugarbaker as being an outspoken advocate for liberal causes or whatever. According to Wikipedia, they made a deal whereby for every one of those tirades she had to perform on camera, they had to let her sing one song on the show (which she was also quite excellent at too).
    At one point, Designing Women was dubbed "situation commentary."

There's a gag in Crocodile Dundee, where Mick Dundee arrives in New York and sees a TV in his hotel room. "Oh, I saw that once" he says, turning it on. I Love Lucy is playing. "Yep, that's what I saw".

Lucille Ball was actually the business brains behind Desilu productions, the polar opposite of how she was portrayed in I Love Lucy.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

DESI(Arnaz)LU(cy)
    And their children were named Desi Arnaz Jr, and Lucy Arnaz. I guess they couldn't think of any other names.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

OK, I've only seen that movie like twice, but as I recall it's what's playing on TV when Micheal J Fox is having dinner with Lea Thompson's family (yeah, eyah, I know, I'm trying to keep this simple). Mikey says "I've seen this one before" and everyone looks at him like he's crazy, and he says "I saw a rerun...", his voice trailing off when he realizes they don't know what reruns are. There's also a line where he says something like "We've got three TV's at my house" and someone else says "That's ridiculous! Nobody has three TV's!"

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    My wife is a major fan of all things Lucy; I Love Lucy, The Lucy Show, Here's Lucy.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    In the reboot, Rosanne was extremely pro-Trump political. In real life, that's what got her fired from her own show.
    Uh, not quite. She got booted because she is a blatant, unapologetic racist.

Uh, not quite. She got booted because she is a blatant, unapologetic racist.
    Specifically, it was one particular tweet where she made a "joke" about some politician or whatever who she said looked like she was born on The Planet Of The Apes. THAT'S what got her booted. But she's also a full on, tinfoil hat wearing crazy lady. She was apparently regularly tweeting about various conspiracy theories, including the Comet Ping-Pong debacle.

Specifically, it was one particular tweet where she made a "joke" about some *African-American politician or whatever who she said looked like she was born on The Planet Of The Apes. THAT'S what got her booted. But she's also a full on, tinfoil hat wearing crazy lady. She was apparently regularly tweeting about various conspiracy theories, including the Comet Ping-Pong debacle.
    *fixed

The reboot actually had promise but yeah, hard to over look such a blatantly racist statement. I haven't bothered watching The Conners

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Lucille Ball was actually the business brains behind Desilu productions, the polar opposite of how she was portrayed in I Love Lucy.
    She was shrewd, but it was Desi that sought out to buy the flailing RKO studios and turn it into Desilu. He was the one that insisted on multiple cameras and film. He insisted on a live audience. And in order to get CBS to put I Love Lucy on the air, he had to agree to assume all production costs, including crew, filming and editing. The only thing Arnaz insisted upon was that he retained rights to the finished product and all CBS had to do was air it. CBS would be out nothing but a timeslot. I don't think Desi was thinking about syndication residuals back then, but they would have been wealthy enough off of I Love Lucy syndication alone, let alone all of the TV shows that they either produced or that were filmed at Desilu. Desilu's first production right after I Love Lucy was The Untouchables. They didn't have too many dogs either. (Google Desilu Studios)

My wife is a major fan of all things Lucy; I Love Lucy, The Lucy Show, Here's Lucy. I appreciate I Love Lucy for its legacy and innovation but her '60s shows sucked.
    I admit, I caught most of those in reruns, but I remember as a kid not always following along with The Lucy Show and Here's Lucy. She was Lucy in both obviously, one had Vivian Vance from the original show, another had Lucy's kids, and both shows had Gale Gordon basically playing the same kind of character. I never binge-watched any of them to understand any kind of chronology or the characters.

*fixed
    Except if I remember correctly, the woman she made the comment about isn't actually African American.

OK, I've only seen that movie like twice, but as I recall it's what's playing on TV when Micheal J Fox is having dinner with Lea Thompson's family (yeah, eyah, I know, I'm trying to keep this simple). Mikey says "I've seen this one before" and everyone looks at him like he's crazy, and he says "I saw a rerun...", his voice trailing off when he realizes they don't know what reruns are. There's also a line where he says something like "We've got three TV's at my house" and someone else says "That's ridiculous! Nobody has three TV's!"
    It was a Honeymooners episode, Ralph dresses like a spaceman.
    And, it's 2 TVs.
    I'm a dork and I love that trilogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    I admit, I caught most of those in reruns, but I remember as a kid not always following along with The Lucy Show and Here's Lucy. She was Lucy in both obviously, one had Vivian Vance from the original show, another had Lucy's kids, and both shows had Gale Gordon basically playing the same kind of character. I never binge-watched any of them to understand any kind of chronology or the characters.
    I don't think there was any chronology, even though Ball, Vance, and Gordon were essentially playing the same characters in each one. In I Love Lucy, Lucy's surname is Ricardo, on THe Lucy Show it was Lucy Carmichael, and on Here's Lucy it was Lucy Carter. According to Wikipedia, the names Carmichael and Carter were chosen as a nod to Desi (i.e. each has "ar" in the first syllable).

Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    It was a Honeymooners episode, Ralph dresses like a spaceman.
    And, it's 2 TVs.
    I'm a dork and I love that trilogy.
    Duly noted.

Except if I remember correctly, the woman she made the comment about isn't actually African American.
    You remember incorrectly. She said about former Obama aide Valerie Jarrett, who is mixed- race.

I have just started binge re-watching an older Brit show I used to really enjoy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Da...ay_(TV_series)

A heart warming serio/comedy about a UK family from Kent with a lovable but rapscallion Pa a voluptuous Ma and their 7 kids,

It doesn't hurt that the role of the eldest daughter is played by a young Catherine Zeta Jones looking absolutely stunning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFqzQdIyihY

DtB

One show that I actually really like, but I can see how some people might feel it was too heavy handed was Designing Women.
    Annie Potts and Jean Smart made it watchable.

The other 2 were okay too but Jean and especially Annie mmmmm good.

DtB
    mmm

Quote Originally Posted by Dave the Brave View Post
    Annie Potts and Jean Smart made it watchable.

The other 2 were okay too but Jean and especially Annie mmmmm good.

DtB
    mmm
    Yeah, Annie was great. You ever see Corvette Summer, where she plays a prostitute who befriends Mark Hammil (who's in Las Vegas looking for the stolen Stingray that he rebuilt)? NOt a great film, but she's a lot of fun in that one. She was also great in Pretty In Pink as the record store owner.