Page 17 of 133 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767117 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage TV thread

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Remember the guy with the cigarette in his mouth?
    At the water cooler with the office chicks.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Watched the first episode of a late 50's/early 60's show called One Step Beyond. This show actually predated The Twilight Zone, but it had a similar vibe, in that it was an anthology show focused on the paranormal. The episode I watched last night had a woman becomes possessed by the spirit of a murdered woman who is trying to convince the authorities her death wasn't a suicide. The opening refers to the show's content as being based on "public record", but according to Wikipedia, it was mostly just urban legend type stuff. The cast of this episode included Skip Homeier, who did a lot of episodic TV guest work, including episodes of The Addams Family, Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea and Star Trek (he was the leader of the space hippies).
    I always thought that show was quite good. Haven't seen it in years.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Same here. Didn't they have the intro with the portentous voice: One...Step...Beyond!?

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Same here. Didn't they have the intro with the portentous voice: One...Step...Beyond!?
    IIRC the intro speech differed for every episode, but were similar to:

My usual Saturday evening routine, for the foreseeable future. Tonight:

6pm-8pm Those 3 crazy nut jobs, Moe, Larry, Curly ( and sometimes Shemp).

8pm: The Mummy's Tomb

I always try to watch Svengoolie but I end up just blasting music for a couple hours......

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I always try to watch Svengoolie but I end up just blasting music for a couple hours......
    They play too many shitty movies; some of the worst ever made. I will watch it when they're showing something good, but even then, it's hard to tolerate the "comedy" routines.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    They play too many shitty movies; some of the worst ever made. I will watch it when they're showing something good, but even then, it's hard to tolerate the "comedy" routines.
    Yep, plus the commercials. He does run some bad ones. At least MS3K is actually funny.

Blasting Metallica......Trapped Under Ice......

Watching the Munsters. Herman has amnesia.....

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Watching the Munsters. Herman has amnesia.....
    I'm waiting for the episode when they jumped on the British Invasion bandwagon and met a rock and roll band. It was the Standells, who I think did the show theme.

The band actually performed "I want to Hold Your Hand" at the end of the show.

Watching The Outer Limits, season 1, episode, One Hundred Days Of The Dragon.

I'm waiting for the episode when they jumped on the British Invasion bandwagon and met a rock and roll band. It was the Standells, who I think did the show theme.
    According to this book it was the theme's composer, with his "small studio ensemble".

I always liked Richard Boone.He and Westerns were made for each other.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post

He came that close to being Steve McGarrett on Hawaii Five-O.
    The older I get, the better I was.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names

I appreciated the alternative take on the gun-for-hire character, but the ending theme song, The Ballad of Palladin, was whack.

He described his '70s character Hec Ramsey as "a lot like Paladin, only fatter".
    Instead of being a gunfighter, Ramsey was a 1900's deputy police chief who would use the new forensic techniques of the day, and reporting to a young chief who was in over his head.

Just found out Prime Video has both the Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy (early 80's TV version), and The Prisoner. Would you believe I've never seen the Prisoner?! I think I know what I'm doing for the next couple hours!

Dude, The Prisoner is a treat. I'd bet you will enjoy the hell out of it. Too bad for me that's on Prime and I don't have that. I would love to see that again. Maybe I'll buy the DVD someday.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Dude, The Prisoner is a treat. I'd bet you will enjoy the hell out of it. Too bad for me that's on Prime and I don't have that. I would love to see that again. Maybe I'll buy the DVD someday.
    The Prisoner is one of those things I've been hearing about for the better part of 40 years. I think even before I heard the Iron Maiden song, I had seen mention of the show in Starlog. And yes, I enjoyed episode one a great deal, look forward to seeing more.

Anyone rmeember the Simpsons episode where Homer gets sent to The Village? "I want answers NOW! Or I'll want them eventually!" "I am not a number! I'm a..." (looks down at shirt, notices button), "Oh, yeah, never mind.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I read Hitchhiker's Guide a long time ago and found it entertaining enough. I saw the movie from a few years back and it was ok. Another one of those things some people seem to guffaw at that I only find mildly amusing, like Welcome Back Kotter, Christmas Story and Mystery Science Theater.

Banned
    ^^^ IMO the best version of Hitchhiker's is the original BBC radio production. I bought without a wisp of regret the box set with includes extended versions that some feel are improvement to the original 30-minute radio broadcasts. In comparison, the movie sucks. (Sorry, OT).

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I read Hitchhiker's Guide a long time ago and found it entertaining enough. I saw the movie from a few years back and it was ok. Another one of those things some people seem to guffaw at that I only find mildly amusing, like Welcome Back Kotter, Christmas Story and Mystery Science Theater.
    The movie, which is like 15 years old now, was about the best you could hope for from a Hollywood production. I recall seeing an interview with Douglas Adams back in the late 80's where he was talking about doing a movie even then. I guess it took more than 15 years or so to get it made. Anyway, I thought it was decent for what it was. I remember being bummed that they didn't Journey Of The Sorcerer for the theme music again. And Simon Jones wasn't it, though as someone pointed out to me, by the time they got around to actually making the movie, Simon would have been too old to play Arthur Dent anyway. I'm sure most people thought the ending was stupid, but I was ok with it, but I won't say why, because I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

the best version of Hitchhiker's is the original BBC radio production.
    Yeah, I've got the radio scripts book that came out in the 80's, that was really kind of my introduction to Hitchhiker's, though I think I might have actually seen the last couple episodes of the TV version before that. Anyway, I read and re-read that book several times. I also remember borrowing the album from the library once. And I've got the first four books (borrowed the fifth from the library when it came out, and only just recently found out there was eventually a sixth book, that was written by someone else, a few years after DNA's death).

That warped British style of humor, as exemplified by Adams, Monty Python, The Young Ones, Alas Smith And Jones, and other shows I saw as a teenager I think went a long way toward shaping the person I am today, for better or worse.

I've read that sixth book. Don't bother with it.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

More "Twilight Zone" on SyFy tonight. Is this a weekly thing they do?

More "Twilight Zone" on SyFy tonight. Is this a weekly thing they do?
    Apparently, so. Twilight Tuesdays.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Apparently, so. Twilight Tuesdays.
    Well, it's on my scrolling TV listing, but not being shown, it seems.