Page 14 of 133 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage TV thread

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Watching Village of the Damned. Love those British accents.
    And the country side.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Which makes me think of, Night Gallery. Only a few of those were good imo. Maybe the stories just were not all that compelling. The Zone had a way of being out of place from a different time. They were just so striking.
    That's because the Twilight Zone had excellent writers, primarily the man himself, Rod Serling. He worked incredibly hard to produce weekly scripts of such quality and definitely got burnt out. He did not take anywhere near such ownership of Night Gallery. There are maybe a dozen or so of those old TZ's that are like mini-plays of the highest caliber IMO.

Which makes me think of, Night Gallery. Only a few of those were good imo. Maybe the stories just were not all that compelling. The Zone had a way of being out of place from a different time. They were just so striking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    That's because the Twilight Zone had excellent writers, primarily the man himself, Rod Serling. He worked incredibly hard to produce weekly scripts of such quality and definitely got burnt out. He did not take anywhere near such ownership of Night Gallery. There are maybe a dozen or so of those old TZ's that are like mini-plays of the highest caliber IMO.
    Plus, Richard Matheson wrote for the Twilight Zone. He was another great one. But, yes, Night Gallery doesn't hold up well at all.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Banned
    ^^^ yep and don't forget Charles Beaumont.

Yeah, Night Gallery wasn't as good. One problem is, I think they were trying too hard to be funny on at least some of those. You had things like the hippie who dies and goes to Hell, and finds it boring to the point of torturous. Another one had astronauts on the moon being attacked by giant mice.

The only one that I remember that was really on the same level as The Twilight Zone was the one with Roddy McDowell as the man who murders his uncle than is haunted by the painting that keeps changing. That was a really good one.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Yeah, Night Gallery wasn't as good. One problem is, I think they were trying too hard to be funny on at least some of those. You had things like the hippie who dies and goes to Hell, and finds it boring to the point of torturous. Another one had astronauts on the moon being attacked by giant mice.

The only one that I remember that was really on the same level as The Twilight Zone was the one with Roddy McDowell as the man who murders his uncle than is haunted by the painting that keeps changing. That was a really good one.
    Yes, that's the one I think everyone remembers. That particular painting kept changing. The Zone also did one like the hippi. It was a gambler and everything he wanted, he got. He never lost at the gaming tables, pool or the slot machines. Sebastian Cabot played the devil.

I think that may have been from the pilot episode with three stories. A second story had Joan Crawford playing a blind woman who was temporarily cured,
    but I can't remember the third story.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravedigger View Post
    I think that may have been from the pilot episode with three stories. A second story had Joan Crawford playing a blind woman who was temporarily cured,
    but I can't remember the third story.
    Yes, it was from the pilot movie. Great one.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    It was a great idea, but yeah, poorly written stuff for the most part. Some were so 'artsy' and tried way to hard to look surrealist or avant garde. No substance.

Ya know, talking about these anthology shows, I think the first one I remember seeing was a very short lived early 80's show called Darkroom. It was hosted by James Coburn, in a similar fashion to Night Gallery, except instead of an art gallery, he's in a photography darkroom, delivering his monologues, and a photograph he's developing leads into the given story. I remember there was one with an Army vet who ends up fighting living "toy" soldiers. In another, a man tries to stop the ship his father was on from sinking in WWII, which ends up causing the Germans to WWII. I haven't seen the show in over 30 years, l think it only ran for about 7 or 8 episodes, but some of the stories really stuck in my mind.

There was a fairly short lived anthology Fantasy series in the late 80s or early 90s which had Steven Spielberg involvement (iirc,) but I don't remember the name. The episode I recall most is Ron Howard as a homeless guy who keeps toys and what not from his past in a grocery cart, and they turn out to be valuable collectibles.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    There was a fairly short lived anthology Fantasy series in the late 80s or early 90s which had Steven Spielberg involvement (iirc,) but I don't remember the name. The episode I recall most is Ron Howard as a homeless guy who keeps toys and what not from his past in a grocery cart, and they turn out to be valuable collectibles.
    I remember that show. Kinduva cross between TZ and Outer Limits... speaking of The Outer Limits, which was IMO, kinduva poor man's TZ but still rather good. I even dug the "80s reboot too.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Amazing Stories?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Amazing Stories?
    ding!ding!ding!

I actually had just got thru googling that and came here to post 😁

That's it!

Decent show, but not great.

Of all these SF anthology shows I still think the best was The Outer Limits. "Demon with the Glass Hand" alone kicked the ass of Serling's best.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Of all these SF anthology shows I still think the best was The Outer Limits. "Demon with the Glass Hand" alone kicked the ass of Serling's best.
    For science fiction, yes it was

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Perusal of IMDB and the Wikipedia episode synopses doesn't seem to turn up the Ron Howard story that was mentioned.
    Could that be a Mandela Effect manifestation?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Perusal of IMDB and the Wikipedia episode synopses doesn't seem to turn up the Ron Howard story that was mentioned.
    Could that be a Mandela Effect manifestation?
    Maybe it was Clint Howard

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    It was good. Robert Culp, looking for the fingers to his hand, a computer and the aliens are close behind. TOL is on Prime if anyone is interested. Been trying to get my friends to watch. I think it deserves more credit than it gets.

Big Outer Limits fan here.

I loved the original The Outer Limits. When they revived it in the mid-90s, I enjoyed the oddity of it, but the stories weren't too great and the acting sub-par. But, it was fun to watch late nights.

It was Mark Hamill. I remember him having a copy of Action Comics #1, among other things.

The episode I recall most is Ron Howard as a homeless guy who keeps toys and what not from his past in a grocery cart, and they turn out to be valuable collectibles.
    Sounds like "Gather Ye Acorns" with Mark Hamill, not Ron Howard.

Anyone getting, The Man from Uncle or, Search?