View Poll Results: Since the start of 2020, which format are you currently using most to listen to music

Voters
153. You may not vote on this poll
  • Vinyl

13 8.50%
  • CD

76 49.67%
  • Digital Files (MP3, FLAC, WAV, etc.)

51 33.33%
  • Streaming

13 8.50%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Which format are you using most?

I voted for CD's since I listen to them at home and in the car. At work it's the ipod classic, but all the music on the ipod is ripped from the CD's. I never stream anything, not because I can't, it's because I don't want to. Gave up vinyl many years ago...surface noise doesn't appeal to me all that much.
    "The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

My Art- http://www.facebook.com/williamallenrenfro -My Life

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    Cd's, then Lp's.

Streaming or Digital Files........never!
    When you listen to a CD, you're listening to a digital file. It happens to be stored on a medium created in the late 70s, early 80s.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

MP3s and YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    When you listen to a CD, you're listening to a digital file. It happens to be stored on a medium created in the late 70s, early 80s.
    Right, and this is also true for most currently (re)issued vinyl records.

Now let's the bashing begin. I'm ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post

In the end it is not just about the file, but also on the package, the whole idea of putting something in a player and look at the booklet. That is also a reason why I'm not that fond of cheap boxsets, with very little information. Some more expensive boxsets, with CD's and a large book with all information suffer a bit from the same problem, because I always need the book to get the information I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post

If I ever listened to vinyl, but refused to listen to the magnetic tape to which music was once recorded, and from which vinyl was once cut (and some reissues still are), I'd say you had a point.
    Last edited by progmatist; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:07 PM.

Don't get me wrong, I have absolutely nothing against CDs. It would be just as silly of me to listen to digital files and hate CDs as it would be for me to listen to CDs and hate digital files. If I'm on the go, I'd much rather not carry and fumble with a stack of CDs, when the up to 10 Micro SD Cards in my wallet are so much more convenient. If I'm buying music, I much prefer the $9.99 FLAC download over the $14.99 CD, plus shipping, plus having to wait a week to be delivered. If said artist(s) offer Hi-Res FLACs, so much the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    In the end it is not just about the file, but also on the package, the whole idea of putting something in a player and look at the booklet. That is also a reason why I'm not that fond of cheap boxsets, with very little information. Some more expensive boxsets, with CD's and a large book with all information suffer a bit from the same problem, because I always need the book to get the information I want.
    When I listen to digital files at home, this is what I'm looking at:

Any additional information can be quickly copied from the internet and pasted in the lyrics portion of the ID3 tag(s)

If anything, it's easier to see the above screens with my 55 year old eyes in low, relaxing light. To read a booklet would require having bright lights on, and for a handful of booklets, an additional flashlight to read small and/or bad contrast text.

I still can read the booklets and if I'm behind the computer I'm mostly doing other things. For me it is easier, to just pick up the booklet and read. If 'm not behind the computer, it is turned of.

The above photos are of my TV screen. A Raspberry Pi running OSMC and Kodi is connected to my receiver, then the receiver outputs the video to my TV. If I'm listening to classical in particular, the fan noise from the computer would be annoying to say the least, so it's off.

I don't use television for listening to music, exept for DVD's.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    The above photos are of my TV screen. A Raspberry Pi running OSMC and Kodi is connected to my receiver, then the receiver outputs the video to my TV. If I'm listening to classical in particular, the fan noise from the computer would be annoying to say the least, so it's off.
    My CDs or Apple lossless files are stored on my Mac. I create a playlist on my 128g IPhone. I airplay over WiFi to my Apple TV which interfaces over HDMI to my Pioneer receiver. My Sony TV with bull sh@t OS acts purely as a screen and receive HDMI from my receiver. Receiver is connected via WiFi but I donít use it that way, I could airplay to it. Other components interface via hdmi to the receiver.
    One personís noise is anotherís signal.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    My CDs or Apple lossless files are stored on my Mac. I create a playlist on my 128g IPhone. I airplay over WiFi to my Apple TV which interfaces over HDMI to my Pioneer receiver. My Sony TV with bull sh@t OS acts purely as a screen and receive HDMI from my receiver. Receiver is connected via WiFi but I don’t use it that way, I could airplay to it. Other components interface via hdmi to the receiver.
    And does all this high-tech activity leave you some free time to actually listen to some music ?

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    My CDs or Apple lossless files are stored on my Mac. I create a playlist on my 128g IPhone. I airplay over WiFi to my Apple TV which interfaces over HDMI to my Pioneer receiver. My Sony TV with bull sh@t OS acts purely as a screen and receive HDMI from my receiver. Receiver is connected via WiFi but I donít use it that way, I could airplay to it. Other components interface via hdmi to the receiver.
    Who is the manufacturer? Rube Goldberg?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Who is the manufacturer? Rube Goldberg?

Listening to all my 2018 Genesis vinyl.I know they are the remixes but they sound really good, especially the Gabriel years.So for the quarantine my preferred medium is vinyl...

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Mostly 320kbps MP3 files, from my phone.

since being confined at home it's LPs all the way!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by erosblue View Post
    Listening to all my 2018 Genesis vinyl.I know they are the remixes but they sound really good, especially the Gabriel years.So for the quarantine my preferred medium is vinyl...
    Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    since being confined at home it's LPs all the way!
    I need to dust off some of my LPs too while I'm stuck indoors.

I'm switching between CDs and YouTube.

What is wrong with this threat?
    Everytime I get an update, I see the same last post.

^ I have noticed that too on other threads.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    In this one i think its someone voting but not posting.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

CD is an absolute winner so far, and will remain so.

I "play" CDs once - to rip them to my hard drive. Then, on the shelf.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

I use it all. Really can't say which would be the most.
    Flac files in Foobar, Vinyl, CDs, Youtube and Google Play, even cassettes once in a while in the van (no 8-tracks though).