View Poll Results: Since the start of 2020, which format are you currently using most to listen to music

Voters
196. You may not vote on this poll
  • Vinyl

21 10.71%
  • CD

94 47.96%
  • Digital Files (MP3, FLAC, WAV, etc.)

64 32.65%
  • Streaming

17 8.67%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Which format are you using most?

Mostly Cd-R's from bandcamp downloads. Kinda weird going from digital back to Cd, I know, but there ya go.

neil

Guys, smörgåsbord is likely not carrying water for vinyl, but rather streaming or digital files. Which I have no use for.

CDs 90% of the time, ipod and Spotify for the other 10%
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Smörgåsbord View Post
    I'm amazed that so many of you still play CDs. There's some retro feel about vinyl but CDs are neither retro nor practical.
    I think this poll has put to rest the superiority claims of vinyl junkies.

Smögåsbord, you're dead wrong. Compact Discs are much more practical:
    • They play up to 80 minutes, without flippin' them over
    • They don't scratch
    • They don't warp
    • They don't skip
    • They're free of wow & flutter and speed errors
    • They have no surface noise or ticks or pops
    • You can burn your own at home
    • They don't pick up vibrations/feedback from your stereo
    • They don't need cleaning before each play (your needle either)
    • They store in a fraction of the space of LPs
    • You can make MP3 discs that hold up to 7 hours each
    • CDs can be played in the car
    • CDs can be played on portable devices
    • They don't wear out
    • You can buy 'em used and they're just as good as new
    • They're priced cheaper than new LPs these days
    • Every album you can imagine -- almost -- has been reissued on CD
    • You can pause, fast forward, skip ahead or skip backwards while playing
    • They're much less sensitive to storage conditions
    • They're cheaper to ship
    • It's easy to carry a half dozen of them in the car
    • If the covers get scratched or cracked, you can simply replace the plastic jewelcase (unless it's a Digipack)
    • You can get players that hold 5 or more discs at a time
    • Boxed sets take up less space (two-fers in a single case, for instance)
    • You can play 'em on your computer
    • You can rip 'em to your computer and do things with the files
    • You can preview albums online before buying them
    • You can buy digital files thanks to computers ripping them
    • Digital files can be edited, altered, mixed & matched
    • Digital files can be compared to determine if they're from the same source
    • Apps like Shazam can identify (almost) any digital file while it plays
    • There's no region-coding (like DVDs) or copy-protection

And don't get me started on the VASTLY superior sound!

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Guys, smörgåsbord is likely not carrying water for vinyl, but rather streaming or digital files. Which I have no use for.
    True. I do purchase CDs, though. To support the artist. I usually don't unwrap new CDs/Vinyl if the album is available on Spotify.
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

I have no real use for Spotify, or other streamingservices. Perhaps to sample something I don't know, but that is all. I don't like to have to turn on my computer, to listen to music, besides the small speakers from my computer don't give a great listening-experience.

True.
    In that case:
    • CDs can't be erased by mistake, or have your access to them denied
    • CDs can be willed to your kids (if they want 'em)
    • If the power goes out, and you have a battery Discman, you can still listen to music

Quote Originally Posted by Smörgåsbord
    I usually don't unwrap new CDs/Vinyl if the album is available on Spotify.
    Well, that at least explains how you could make such a ridiculous claim with a straight face.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 03-11-2020 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I think this poll has put to rest the superiority claims of vinyl junkies.
    Well, I don't know about that. The poll is just for the format used the most, which for me is down to practicality: I listen to a lot of music in the car, which is done mostly via CDs. I still listen to a lot of my music at home on vinyl.

i voted cd as that is what I certainly play most at home... anyone have this issue? I just recently bought a new car and it did not have a cd player! I was not happy... it was not even an option! I do now unfortunately play some mp3 via my iPod because of that.

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    i voted cd as that is what I certainly play most at home... anyone have this issue? I just recently bought a new car and it did not have a cd player! I was not happy... it was not even an option! I do now unfortunately play some mp3 via my iPod because of that.
    There are lossless players that can hook up through a USB port, provided that your car has the input. They vary widely in price and quantity but it definitely sounds better, especially if the vehicle is not overwhelmed with road noise. I tried playing MP3s through my phone in the car stereo. My wife was fine with it but damn, you could hear the difference on anything well recorded. Steely Dan sounded like ASS through it.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    You cannot listen to vinyls outside your living room or far away where there is a turtable.
    In case you were wondering what a turtable is:

Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Banned
    ^^^ Jeez, I think I’ll just stick to my copact dicks.

... I just recently bought a new car and it did not have a cd player! I was not happy...
    My story too plus I have an old Mazda '96 pick up (looks like a Ford Ranger) that I really love and has a radio/cassette player ... ... but happily, we have another one with a cd player.

Last edited by TCC; 03-12-2020 at 01:30 AM.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post

Good one!!.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

[*]Every album you can imagine -- almost -- has been reissued on CD
    mmmhhhh!!!!... If that -- almost true -- for old stuff, it's definitely not the case for many new album by new artistes, who by stupid hipsterism choose to release downloads first, vinyls second and really object to pressing a cd.
    In this case, I will go out of my way to tell them to fuck off until I can buy a CD proper (I refuse as a principle to burn CDr from downloads)

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Well, I don't know about that. The poll is just for the format used the most, which for me is down to practicality: I listen to a lot of music in the car, which is done mostly via CDs. I still listen to a lot of my music at home on vinyl.
    that's what won me over almost instantly when I finally decided to switch to CD: the user-friendliness and portability

that is becoming an issue, especially in rent-a-cars.

I plan to keep my 2008 LPG-equiped Saab 9-3 (Euro-5 emission motor) for as long as possible (or at least until they'll have banned all fossil-fuel powered cars in 2035), if I survive that long, but my CD player is showing signs of weakness (mostly in the mechanical ejection system). I've already found a replacement unit for that specific car, but I will have to find a "normal" radio-CD player, though the new DAB+ radio format (AM/MW is already disappearing and FM is to be slowly fazed out) will make it another headache.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post

why did I know that was coming?
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    (I refuse as a principle to burn CDr from downloads)
    Just curious why? They're bit-identical to a manufactured CD, and according to most laboratory tests will actually last LONGER...

^ True. I taped a CD and a CDR to the side of my car and ran it through the car wash. The CDR played flawlessly, but the CD skipped terribly.

-vinyl
    -Deezer
    -CD

I'm amazed that so many of you still play CDs. There's some retro feel about vinyl but CDs are neither retro nor practical.
    Even so I use Deezer quite often I tend to open in paralell a wiki site with the Infos/cover pics etc. I actually burned some MP3s to Cd adding the covers and liner notes , otherwise I tend to forget the record if I have no vusual content.

Originally Posted by Trane:
    (I refuse as a principle to burn CDr from downloads)

Just curious why? They're bit-identical to a manufactured CD, and according to most laboratory tests will actually last LONGER...
    I think you're missing part of what Trane is saying, which applies for me as well. For me, the bigger issue is that I will not pay for downloads. I want a proper CD with artwork, packaging, etc. that I can put on my shelf with my other CDs. And if there is no proper CD, then I'm willing to take a pass, even on a band I really like.

I do have some albums that I have downloaded that have never been released on CD. At one time, I did have all of these burned to CDR. The all sat in a little stack at the end of my collection, where I never looked at them, and never played them. I just forgot they were there. I don't have the patience for creating packaging for stuff like this, I just stuck them in little sleeves, so I could never find them, and was never reminded to look at them. In effect, they had no value to me, and this would be the fate of pretty much anything I downloaded, which is why I refuse to pay for them. It's just not the way I'm used to working with music. I now have all these CDRs on a thumb-drive, along with some other stuff. I can put that drive into my player at home, but I almost never do.

For me, it has nothing to do with the sound, it's about the process of cataloging and finding music to listen to. And frankly, it's also about the joy of owning something, especially something I paid for. I like my CDs, and having some ersatz CDR of some downloaded file simply isn't the same for me as owning the real thing. I've had a rip of People of the Squares Simianometry for years on CDR (one of the few I did actually put in a case on my shelf). I've been looking for the real CD for years and recently found it for an unbelievably great price (thanks Ken! )! It makes me happy to own that item, far happier than having a CDR that probably sounded exactly the same. I've spun it a lot since I got it, probably more than I did in the decades I only had the CDR. What can I say? It may not be "logical," but this is something I do for fun, and I'm just not spending money on something that doesn't make me happy.

I'd also add, as Trane did, that it's a little bit of a "F-You" to modern bands/artists who don't do a proper CD. Just my little, admittedly useless way of fighting back.

Bill

Slow hand clap for Rick L
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I think you're missing part of what Trane is saying

I don't have the patience for creating packaging for stuff

What can I say? It may not be "logical," but this is something I do for fun, and I'm just not spending money on something that doesn't make me happy.
    Yeah, not logical. Are you collecting the music, or the physical product?

The music is connected with the physical product. If one collect stamps, one doesn't want pictures of stamps on the computer.
    I collect CD's, because it is about the whole package, not just the music, but also the artwork and the booklet.

I'm not really "collecting" anything. I'm buying music that I enjoy listening to in a format that makes sense for how I like to listen to it, and for which I feel a sense of value having spent money on it.

I'm the same with books. I don't "collect" books, I buy them to read, and I keep those that I feel I may read or reference again. I do own a Kindle, and I could get the Kindle version. But I tried to read books that way, and I thought the experience sucked. Plus, when I'm looking for books I haven't read, it's far easier for me to browse the shelf than look at, what? A list of files? That doesn't tell me how many pages the book is, when it was written, who the author is. I have to boot the thing in just to get an idea of the chapters, etc. I'd rather just pick up the book.

It's the same with CDs where the packaging is a part of the total experience. I'm getting the music, plus the artwork/cover that gives me information quickly and easily that isn't otherwise available, is easy to browse, and gives me a sense of pleasure in owning the item. I don't need ultimate portability, for music or books. I don't need to access my entire collection any time, anywhere. I don't even really want that. So for me, the choices I make completely satisfy my needs and bring me joy. I don't really care if it's "logical," and I don't really think of it as "collecting."

Bill