Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steve Hackett, Genesis Revisited 2020 so far

Banned

Steve Hackett, Genesis Revisited 2020 so far

The show last night at the Warner in DC, was the best of the Hackett concerts I’ve seen since my first in 2002. Great interview and info about the set list:

https://www.njarts.net/pop-rock/stev...nd-more-in-nj/

Sounds like the show I saw last year. Nice interview, thanks for posting.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Sounds like the show I saw last year. Nice interview, thanks for posting.
    Encore was PG + SH Genesis instead of PC + SH Genesis songs. The Watcher of the Skies was sublime.

Sooooo Hackett is going to start his Seconds Out tour right around the time Genesis starts their reunion thing. Hmmmmmmmm. Wondering if he knew all along about their plans & said "If they're not going to invite me along for the ride then I'll show them!".

^ I doubt it. He knows he wouldn't be "showing them." The trio Genesis stopped caring about it's Prog fanbase in any meaningful sense decades ago. We're a drop in a bucket, and they will probably fill the arenas without us, if necessary.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Interesting that he mentioned the Mike Douglas show. I think that might have been my first time being aware of them.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Saw this tour in Montreal in Sept. and will be seeing Steve again Wednesday here in town at the lovely Academy of Music! Thanks for coming to town Steve! We never miss a Hackett show’

Banned
    I was at last night’s show at the Warner Theatre as well. Excellent band and Steve’s playing was fluid. I was impressed with the vocal harmonies and at one point it was clear Steve was proud of them asking if the audience likes harmonies and stating “We can do that”.

I thought the tempo and feel of the Genesis set was a bit flat and possibly belied a weariness of repeatedly doing material forty or fifty years old.

The gentleman seated next to me was there out of curiosity wanting to see “the other Genesis”, being a big fan of the trio and We Can’t Dance (!) in particular. He also boasted about having seen Cheap Trick 26 times. He did not seem to enjoy the concert much at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    I was at last night’s show at the Warner Theatre as well. Excellent band and Steve’s playing was fluid. I was impressed with the vocal harmonies and at one point it was clear Steve was proud of them asking if the audience likes harmonies and stating “We can do that”.

I thought the tempo and feel of the Genesis set was a bit flat and possibly belied a weariness of repeatedly doing material forty or fifty years old.

The gentleman seated next to me was there out of curiosity wanting to see “the other Genesis”, being a big fan of the trio and We Can’t Dance (!) in particular. He also boasted about having seen Cheap Trick 26 times. He did not seem to enjoy the concert much at all.

The fact that he saw Cheap Trick 26 times says it all!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post

I thought the crowd seemed dead until the last SEBTP song and the encores. I’ve seen shows there on weekday nights before, and perhaps people are burnt from the daily routine and then going to these shows. Other factors may impact the mood as well. I loved the drummer. The Taurus pedals were down compared to other shows, but it could have been those seats. Not the same as the 2002 Nearfest performance of SH, when those frequencies brought plaster down near where I was on the balcony

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Saw this tour in Montreal in Sept. and will be seeing Steve again Wednesday here in town at the lovely Academy of Music! Thanks for coming to town Steve! We never miss a Hackett show’
    Now that's dedication. I also saw this last fall when it came through. Some scattered observations:

-- near the start, they did 3 cuts off Edge of Light. Hackett introduced these by saying he was going to play some new stuff. The back of the house cheered -- the front sat stone-faced.
    -- he played "Spectral Mornings" on Gary Moore's old Fernandez guitar, and dedicated the song to Moore. A good moment, though the song itself was the only time that night I thought he might have lost a step.
    -- Craig Blundell was competent and visceral on drums. He has a very heavy foot. Even Scrotes would have been able to appreciate it. "Cinema Show" really roared.
    -- Spectral Mornings and Selling England by the Pound were given equal billing, but Hackett took far more liberties with his own work. Shortened and simplified the title track and "Tigermoth" and left off the closing solo, rearranged material, etc.
    -- crowd was about as old as for Crimson in NY, but more prosperous and only 80% male instead of 95%.
    -- Nad Sylvan looks bad. If you're the one with the voodoo doll of him, ease up, mission accomplished already.
    -- "Effing Forest" not quite as endless as I remembered, but still an inevitable lowlight.
    -- "Deja Vu" and an instrumental jam medley built around "Myopia" were the encore.

It was a good show, not the best ever but obviously worthwhile. One problem is that Hackett's solo oeuvre is now so big and meandering that he can't meaningfully present highlights.
    Last edited by Tom; 03-07-2020 at 10:01 PM.
    ... “there’s a million ways to learn” (which there are, by the way), but ironically, there’s a million things to eat, I’m just not sure I want to eat them all. -- Jeff Berlin

The crowd at these Genesis Revisited shows...At the gig I attended in Cleveland last year (Spectral/Selling,) one guy in the Gents' at halftime said listening to the first set was torture, or something to that effect. Steve's solo stuff. The guy he said that too (a friend?) was in disbelief. How do you like Selling England but find Spectral unlistenable? But the crown jewel was the guy after the show who commented that it was the first concert he'd ever been to where they played the same song for the encore that they'd played at the end of the set before going off. <major face palm> Dance/Los Endos.

The crowd at these Genesis Revisited shows...<displays of shocking ignorance and execrable taste redacted>.
    Some fraction of the crowd (10%?) are people who think they like Genesis because they fondly remember Invisible Touch. Just think, they are helping keep the Hackett tour solvent.
    ... “there’s a million ways to learn” (which there are, by the way), but ironically, there’s a million things to eat, I’m just not sure I want to eat them all. -- Jeff Berlin

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    The crowd at these Genesis Revisited shows...At the gig I attended in Cleveland last year (Spectral/Selling,) one guy in the Gents' at halftime said listening to the first set was torture, or something to that effect. Steve's solo stuff. The guy he said that too (a friend?) was in disbelief. How do you like Selling England but find Spectral unlistenable? But the crown jewel was the guy after the show who commented that it was the first concert he'd ever been to where they played the same song for the encore that they'd played at the end of the set before going off. <major face palm> Dance/Los Endos.

See you at the Academy !

Does Nad know you’re coming all the way from Vermont Canada Andrew?

Banned
    Steve Hackett 2020

Does Nad know you’re coming all the way from Vermont Canada Andrew?
    It's a parallel universe ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Some fraction of the crowd (10%?) are people who think they like Genesis because they fondly remember Invisible Touch. Just think, they are helping keep the Hackett tour solvent.
    That's something that never occurred to me before - that people would turn up at Steve's shows thinking he was a Genesis tribute act and be completely baffled by what was going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    That's something that never occurred to me before - that people would turn up at Steve's shows thinking he was a Genesis tribute act and be completely baffled by what was going on.
    Haha! Yep, I remember seeing The Musical Box once and some people were walking out because they didn't know any of the songs.

We saw the show last night here in town. Andrew L. (The Winter Tree) and Gary L. (Microwave Brain) were at our lovely Academy of Music which has the distinction of being the only municipally owned opera house in the country! We had seen this tour in Montréal in September at the acoustically superior Place Des Arts so much of my attention last night was on the killer rhythm section of Jonas and Craig. Craig just kills whether with Wilson or Hackett! Good crowd, looks like some folks toed to stay home but from those around me I heard many glowing comments
    Last edited by rickawakeman; 03-12-2020 at 04:15 PM.

Swell. So much for seeing him this weekend. F'in virus BS!
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

I just checked the tour page on his website just to make sure I hadn't missed news of a west coast swing (no such luck.) But -- and I'm sorry all for any virus-related cancellations in the offing -- but the man is pretty much touring All. Year. Long. Talk about finding a winning formula. Tony, Mike and Phil may grouse all they want but Steve must be laughing all the way to the bank!
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Steve was set to perform in Clearwater, FL on Mar 27 but his show was postponed as well.
    It wasn't Steve's decision, Ruth Echard Hall which manages all the local venues announced yesterday, all shows will be postponed until further notice. I can't remember if they provided how long the shutdown would be, but I think it's for several months. I'll update if I can find the email.

Ok, the correct information is, all shows are postponed thru April 2 and will be rescheduled, and if necessary due to scheduling will be canceled.
    Last edited by Top Cat; 03-15-2020 at 11:35 AM. Reason: changed cancelled to postponed
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    Swell. So much for seeing him this weekend. F'in virus BS!
    Yep, everything has been canceled or postponed. Life goes on hiatus for 1-2 months while we self quarantine. The only people actually thriving at this point in time are toilet paper manufacturers...