Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Genesis 1972 Belgian footage ALL CLEANED UP!

Genesis 1972 Belgian footage ALL CLEANED UP!

Behold!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Wasn’t it already very clean?

So young!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Wasn’t it already very clean?
    this 1.297.468 views version looks and sound "marvelous" LOL

Well, Sean's YT link certainly hints that it's a fresher origin film source than Bruno's and that the sonics have been improved

It's kind of a pity that the film crew weren't more familiar with the band's material because it would've been interesting to show more of Hacket's tricks on Alehouse (especially at the very end) when they focus on Collins and kept filming instead of trying visual tricks for entertainment with the photos and artworks.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I forgot how many of those quick camera edits were in there. Makes me dizzy at times. But what a great performance!

But that is the case with most every band’s footage, especially back in the day.

But it has gotten worse. Ever notice how it has been done the last 20 years? You get at least half of a second views of players. That fast editing style makes me crazy

I love watching Gabriel look at Phil with such joy as he watches him drum. What a talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Well, Sean's YT link certainly hints that it's a fresher origin film source than Bruno's and that the sonics have been improved

It's kind of a pity that the film crew weren't more familiar with the band's material because it would've been interesting to show more of Hacket's tricks on Alehouse (especially at the very end) when they focus on Collins and kept filming instead of trying visual tricks for entertainment with the photos and artworks.
    I can't believe I'm even bothering to address this, but you have to understand that from the perspective of television and film directors and producers, a guitarist or keyboardist, sitting down, and more or less motionless (save from the movement required to play his instrument) and expressionless, isn't a very exciting "shot", ya know? Especially with television, they're thinking about what's going to be exciting to watch for the majority of the audience, which is necessarily going to be musos or aficianadoes of the band. And in a band like Genesis, they're gonna focus more on Gabriel than they are on Banks or Hackett, for that very reason, because the singer running around the stage, acting the songs, is a more dynamic and "interesting" visual to show.

Having said that, I do think the still photos and shots of the album cover are less than inspired. This isn't even like the found footage or the "girl on the beach" in Genesis In Concert, which I think had an atmospheric thing going that added to the "artsy" aspect of the film. Here it just looks like a bored TV director playing with the buttons in the editing suite.
    I forgot how many of those quick camera edits were in there. Makes me dizzy at times. But what a great performance!
    But that is the case with most every band’s footage, especially back in the day.
    Music on television, at least as it applies to rock music has always been a frustrating thing, in my view. You have directors who, when faced with a bassist and two guitarists, can't figure out which one is playing (or even miming) a guitar solo. You hear talk of "camera rehearsals", i.e. they ran down the song before they actually shot what was broadcast, but they still manage to cut to the bassist or the guitarist who isn't soloing during the guitar solo.

The tight closeup style on the French TV footage of VDGG playing the Godbluff album is a real drag. You keep wishing every time they show David Jackson, they'd zoom out just a little so you can something more than just the mouthpiece and his face.

One that got me is one of the clips on the Pink Floyd Early Years boxset. The band mime several songs on a TV show, it's the one where Gilmour is playing somethign that looks like a Gretsch White Falcon (or a cheap knockoff thereof). They do, I think, Remember The Day, and there's not one single shot of Rick Wright singing! The camera keeps cutting back to Roger Waters or David Gilmour, like the director can't figure out neither of them is singing. And if you watch the footage, it seems teh band are aware of this because Gilmour and Waters are corpsing through the whole bloody song!

Stuff that was done for concert films, things like The Grateful Dead Movie, The Last Waltz, and other theatrically released films, seem to have worked better, maybe because the directors had a more artistic approach to editing, and you could have things like slow panning shots, or things like having a three shot where the focus changes from one band member to another. And you dont' just have cameramen, you had bonafide cinematographers, sometimes you had guys who worked on feature films, mabye even guys with Oscars under their belts, who actually knew how to do interesting things with the camera. I'm serious, you really have to watch some of those old concert films, even if you don't like the music, and just watch the way everything is shot and edited, to appreciate what a lost art that stuff is.
    But it has gotten worse. Ever notice how it has been done the last 20 years? You get at least half of a second views of players. That fast editing style makes me crazy
    It's been going on closer to 30 years. I never saw the version of Pulse that was put out on VHS and DVD, but I did see the version that was shown on pay per view back in 1994, I still have it on VHS, recorded off the broadcast. And it has that fast editing style already.

Apart from the fast editing, there's a lot of very boring camera work. They put cameras with long range zoom lens in the back of the hall. So the only shots you get are these very static full stage and "talking head" shots. The musicians all look like newsreaders or something, like you're waiting them to say "And now for something completely different, a man with three buttocks" or whatever.

The other thing you get are those "lip stick" cameras on the drums and keyboards, so you get these shots that almost look like security camera shots or something.S So it all becomes very blah, these days.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post

So young!
    I know. A lifetime ago practically, almost 50 years!

Isn't this the same quality that came in the box set on the dvd with the 5.1 mix?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    Isn't this the same quality that came in the box set on the dvd with the 5.1 mix?
    Honestly haven’t checked this one, but I wasn’t impressed with the video quality of the film “In Concert” compared to other sources. Genesis didn’t spend the money to make that movie the quality it could be. If the source is the original film, scanning can produce quality that would need Blu-ray to appreciate. I think the Genesis box set video extras had too much video compression to make enough room on the DVD. The priority was the 24/96 DTS Surround version of the remix. Lossless surround needed the SACD. After this tour, I wouldn’t be surprised that those remixes are re-released in another format such as Blu-ray or FLAC.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I wonder if it was a TV show director who coined the phrase "front man"

That’s so good to see, but hard to remember when they / we were all so young. I wish the current incarnation well on their upcoming tour, but this brings home to me that I am happier with these memories of the past glories, and I’ll not be clamouring for a ticket.

Amazing picture quality on this version!
    Never noticed the tape (for additional sound dampening) on the front of Phil's bass drum head until seeing this one.
    (That whole Gretsch front head looks pretty worn--back in the day before Phil got his kits for 'free' from sponsorship! )

It’s such an incredibly simple kit set up too, amazing what they created back then without all of the bells and whistles of success!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Thanks for posting this Sean. Enjoyed it.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    Hi Steve ever said why he used sit during this era?
    Robert Fripp influence.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    Hi Steve ever said why he used sit during this era?
    I think he was just more comfortable that way.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I think he was just more comfortable that way.
    Plus he was an early user of multiple effects boxes and he could more easily reach and tweak them while sitting. You can see this in the Belgian TV program.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

He was also a pretty shy guy, and by his own admission had barely ever played for anyone outside his own bedroom with his little amp turned on very quietly. At the end of his first gig with the band, a roadie had to come on stage and tell him it was okay to leave the stage now. That's how green he was, so it's no surprise to me that he sat down, hiding behind his guitar, his beard, his glasses, etc.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I also think there was the Fripp influence, as I mentioned. They played Court in the Cottage when the were religiously practicing their material.