Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Prog Sleeve Illustrators

Prog Sleeve Illustrators

Four Roger Dean illustrations on cardboard in the latest issue of Prog was a very welcome surprise. But it got me thinking about the designers of prog sleeves who are now largely forgotten and don't deserve to be. Any nominations for forgotten favourites?
    BBTPatron

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I like Urs Amman's stuff. Not a household name, but click here and I'm sure you'll recognize a few at least.

Not prog but a great artist: Mati Klarwein

http://www.matiklarweinart.com/artworkgallery.php
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Banned
    I think Kim Poor deserves a mention in this category of past icons of album cover art. Steve Hackett's Voyage of The Acolyte, Please Don't Touch and many others. Also, her beautiful cover art on Pacific Eardrums "Beyond Panic" is something to behold.

Suroprised Hipgnosis and Whitehead's name haven't popped up in either the OP or the first resonding post

Wilkinson did a lot of Marillion stuff, didn't he?
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Suroprised Hipgnosis and Whitehead's name haven't popped up in either the OP or the first resonding post

Wilkinson did a lot of Marillion stuff, didn't he?
    The OP is asking about illustrators that are “largely forgotten”. The three you mentioned are certainly iconic but not sure fit the bill of being forgotten.

How about Helmut Wenske, who did several covers for Nektar?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    The OP is asking about illustrators that are “largely forgotten”. The three you mentioned are certainly iconic but not sure fit the bill of being forgotten.
    Yes, amongst the forgotten seem to be Field, credited with designing the cover for Moonmadness, and Bill Dare, who was inspired by an illustration by Maxfield Parrish to produce the beautiful sleeve for Time Honoured Ghosts. It is hard to believe these people did nothing else - but what else?
    BBTPatron

Would a group of illustrators be a cover band?
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    How about Helmut Wenske, who did several covers for Nektar?
    I was just going to post that

https://nektarsmusic.com/product-cat...ne_art_prints/
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I am a big fan of David Cross, who did most of the cover art for early Anthony Phillips albums. His work was so detailed and clever. Not sure if he has done anything else since those covers. This site has a good view of his work with Phillips: https://petercrossart.com/album-covers

Not so big a fan that you remembered his first name, though.

(hides under chair)

That Archive Collection cover is great--too bad those of us who bought the original issue got stuck with an 80's-looking clipart cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Not so big a fan that you remembered his first name, though.

(hides under chair)
    Haha! Indeed. I am a fan of violinist David Cross also. But yeah, Peter Cross is the artist - his stuff is worth a look imho.

I am a big fan of David Cross, who did most of the cover art for early Anthony Phillips albums. His work was so detailed and clever. Not sure if he has done anything else since those covers. This site has a good view of his work with Phillips: https://petercrossart.com/album-covers
    That was the first name that came to my mind too, Peter not David though the latter was one of the best strikers West Ham ever fielded!

Thanks for the link, I haven’t looked at these meticulous paintings in forever.

Our good friend, carrier of the ProgDay torch, Michael Bennett.

Unfortunately all of his album art has been for CD releases (unless I'm mistaken). I would love to see some of his art on LP sized sleeves.

I remember tomorrow

Michael Phipps, known for his work with Advent, Oblivion Sun and Frank Wyatt: http://michaelphipps.net/

Daved Levitan made some fine covers for acts like Jean Luc Ponty, T. Lavitz, Players and Jeff Berlin: https://www.discogs.com/artist/2278515-Daved-Levitan

I am totally biased because he did the cover to my band's new album - but Ioannis at Dangerous Age does great work.

https://www.dangerousage.com/about/

He has done covers for King Crimson, Saga, Dream Theater, Uriah Heap, Deep Purple, Blue Oyster Cult and many more.

Here's the cover to my band Epic Tantrum's brand new release (sorry for the shameless self promotion but it seems appropriate):

Attached Images Attached Images

yeah, but the first post after the OP mentionned Matti Klarwein and he's not exactly forgotten either
    If anyone read the OP on PE, you'd think we'd know about it by now, right??

I'd like to know if the dude that did Caravan's ITLOG&P did other artworks.

EDIT: Anne Marie Anderson: she appears to be an illustrious unknown
    Last edited by Trane; 03-08-2020 at 07:59 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Who did the cover to the Arzachel (Uriel) record?

It has a charming amateurish quality to it, it reminds me of what I used to do to the backs of my notebooks when I was bored in school.

I recently found a vinyl copy of "Attic Thoughts" by Bo Hansson, and the cover art blew me away! The artist is Jan Ternald.

Quote Originally Posted by Iris View Post
    Four Roger Dean illustrations on cardboard in the latest issue of Prog was a very welcome surprise. But it got me thinking about the designers of prog sleeves who are now largely forgotten and don't deserve to be. Any nominations for forgotten favourites?
    Mentioning Roger Dean is often followed by mentioning Rodney Matthews, but in the same vein Patrick Woodroffe should also be remembered.

The Fool
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.