Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Journey fires and sues Steve Smith, Ross Valory

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    100% Agree!

I saw the Prog-pre-Perry band twice, back in the 70's, once with Thin Lizzy and once with TR Utopia and the were a great jam band, long before they became a chick band...!
    Long before anyone cared who they were. If only they knew that becoming a 'chick band' back then would later deny them the ability to perform in front of a hundred or so middle aged men later on... if they were lucky.

Their Journey was over decades ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    Don't stop believing.
    Wjho's Crying Now?

Any Way You Want It

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    Journey has become it's own cover band, nobody really cares whet they do at this point.
    they could croak for all I care

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    They really have no problem airing their dirty laundry, do they?
    They never kniw shame.... or at least from the moment they fired Dunbar

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Marsh View Post
    Fuck Journey

They sold their musical souls to the devil when they brought in Steve Perry.
    Cor-po-ra-te Rock

This is hilarious, downright funny, risible and laughable at the same time

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    The first Perry album was good, but the first three albums were their best, especially Next.
    I'll stick with the first two, thx
    Next was already 2/3 of what they would beccome AFAIC Hear

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Chick band? Apparently me and my friends were chicks back in high school and didn't even know it!
    Funny they had to hire the ugliest frontman ever to become a chick attraction. Not that Schon and the gang were Mr Universes themselves)

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Long before anyone cared who they were. If only they knew that becoming a 'chick band' back then would later deny them the ability to perform in front of a hundred or so middle aged men later on... if they were lucky.

You mean there are no chicks in their current concerts?
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    You mean there are no chicks in their current concerts?
    Lots

Nightmare Productions, indeed.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Perry Valory and Smith will tour next year as Journey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seeing the recent respective cases, I know why I always prefered A'smith to Journey

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Lots
    The opposite would've surprised me.
    Not that today's average attending chick age would be remotely close to their "golden days"

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Perry Valory and Smith will tour next year as Journey.
    Well, not that I give a shit at all, but if push cane to shove, I'd tend to side up with them two.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Perry Valory and Smith will tour next year as Journey
    If they wouldn't be afraid he'd fire them... again.

Not that today's average attending chick age would be remotely close to their "golden days".
    Many females of all ages were in attendance. Lots of young people male and female actually. As has been pointed out previously, they stopped being a prog concern decades ago.

Fracktured View Post
    Perry Valory and Smith will tour next year as Journey
    They'll go out as Journey featuring PVS......

At least they have made the various Yes squabbles seem dignified
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    At least they have made the various Yes squabbles seem dignified
    Totally made my day with that dig. Thanks for that.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

As predicted, the Real Music Observer has been taking this topic apart from all angles. In the following clip, he gets personal on a few matters, including Valory's financial situation:

And in somewhat related news....the lead singer of Anthrax has started his own Journey tribute band:

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    And in somewhat related news....the lead singer of Anthrax has started his own Journey tribute band:

I played in a band with him in 1984, shortly before he joined Anthrax. We played "Separate Ways", "Send Her My Love" , and "Chain Reaction" in our setlist.

Always dug Belladonna's voice and he does the Journey thing really well. Anthrax screwed up for those few years when he wasn't in the band but it's all good now and they still really kill it. Glad I got to see them a couple years ago even if they didn't play anything from STD, bastards.

What I really wanted to get into was Herbie and WTF is the real story of Journey. Been revisiting his words from 2001. I can't find them all, it seems. The Wayback machine has part of it but this here ain't in there.

https://icubud.proboards.com/thread/171

It's a bunch so not gonna quote it here. I can't figure out what the hell really happened but he's right they did just drop off the map when they were bigger than sliced bread.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Always dug Belladonna's voice and he does the Journey thing really well. Anthrax screwed up for those few years when he wasn't in the band but it's all good now and they still really kill it. Glad I got to see them a couple years ago even if they didn't play anything from STD, bastards.

What I really wanted to get into was Herbie and WTF is the real story of Journey. Been revisiting his words from 2001. I can't find them all, it seems. The Wayback machine has part of it but this here ain't in there.

https://icubud.proboards.com/thread/171

It's a bunch so not gonna quote it here. I can't figure out what the hell really happened but he's right they did just drop off the map when they were bigger than sliced bread.
    Is that the interview where Herbie ripped the entire band to shreds? He says Gregg Rolie was a "mensch" (which in Yiddish means a good person), but he just throws everyone else under the bus. Literally. He talks about how they had to fire Aynsley Dunbar because Aynsley got himself mixed up with some underage girls. He talks about how Jonathan Cain basically blackmailed Herbie into getting his first wife a record deal. He even talks about the tour they did with Van Halen opening in 78, and how he told Neal that "Ya know, that kid (meaning Eddie) in that band that's opening for you, he's watched you guys play every single night, you haven't bothered watching them even once!". OH yeah, and I think he even suggests that no matter what, Steve Perry gets a piece of everything the band does, he says "They're Steve's bitches at this point".

One thing I remember when the Frontiers tour commenced was, there was a lot of publicity surrounding the fact that the band was touring with their own video screen system. Now, a lot of arenas had video screens for sporting events, but I'm not sure if that had moved into outdoor stadiums yet at that point. Anyway, Journey was supposesdly the first band to tour with such technology so that everyone in the nosebleeds at every show would get a chance to "see" the band, via the screens.

Well, apparently this happened because Steve threw a fit about the big stadiums not having the right vibe. Apparently, they had this big meeting with Bill Graham, after Graham had already scheduled these big stadium shows in California which he had planned his entire summer schedule around. So Steve's like "I don't want to do it, there's no intimacy, the people in the back won't be able to see us", etc. And so Bill Graham flips, and starts screaming about how "You're taking food out of my kids' mouths!" and Steve refused to budge. So the video screens were requisitioned to please Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Is that the interview where Herbie ripped the entire band to shreds? He says Gregg Rolie was a "mensch" (which in Yiddish means a good person), but he just throws everyone else under the bus. Literally. He talks about how they had to fire Aynsley Dunbar because Aynsley got himself mixed up with some underage girls. He talks about how Jonathan Cain basically blackmailed Herbie into getting his first wife a record deal. He even talks about the tour they did with Van Halen opening in 78, and how he told Neal that "Ya know, that kid (meaning Eddie) in that band that's opening for you, he's watched you guys play every single night, you haven't bothered watching them even once!". OH yeah, and I think he even suggests that no matter what, Steve Perry gets a piece of everything the band does, he says "They're Steve's bitches at this point".
    I don't know which Herbie is that (I assume it's neither Hancock or Dalovebug), but none of this surprises me.

The only ones I do have sympathy for are Rollie and Dunbar (who was also too Englishy-rowdy for some).
    Yeah, the latter was probably screwing underage groupies (probably without his knowledge - unlike Page and Lorie Maddox),.
    But it was really the band as a whole that sold its soul to the devil (CBS) to keep its juicy contract. CBS was disappointed at the band's financial performance and wanted to drop them or renegociate, the latter coming with forcing Steve Perry into the band.

As it turns out the CBS execs were right and the finances rolled it.

I don't know which Herbie is that (I assume it's neither Hancock or Dalovebug), but none of this surprises me.
    Herbie Herbert, Journey's original manager, and apparently, the only person directly connected to Journey who didn't sign a confidentiality agreement back in the 80's. Herbie said when the Behind The Music crew showed up to interview him for the show on Journey, the director or interviewer or whomever said literally everyone kept saying, "You should really talk to Herbie about that". And Herbie said, "That's because they signed confidentiality agreements, whereas I didn't, so I'm free to say whatever I want about what happened", and that's exactly what he did in this interview.

I guess Rollie (quit in 80) and Dunbar (fired in 78) didn't either, but no chiming in on their part, Rollie was probably afraid for his royalty revenues (probably paid through Journey) and Dunbar's antics kept him quiet.

Here's the wayback link.

https://web.archive.org/web/20020601...x.net/mrcarty/

If you go look at it it's got gaps. The piece I linked to above is not in there. Don't know why all that is but the wayback may not have captured all of it for whatever reason.

Anyway, like is always said the truth lies somewhere in the middle but damn, Herbie really lays into them and I have always wondered what the hell really happened.

Is Perry really that much of a dick? Are the band members so stupid they would sign a deal like that? So many questions and I'll guess we never really get the answers.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Is Perry really that much of a dick? Are the band members so stupid they would sign a deal like that? So many questions and I'll guess we never really get the answers.
    It's just a theory, but I'm guessing at some point during that initial fame period, around Escape and/or Frontiers, I suspect Perry threatened to quit if the band didn't agree to his terms, which apparently, hinged on him having control of the band and giving him "a piece" of the band, meaning that no matter what, whether he's actually in the band or not, Steve Perry gets a piece of everything the band does. And maybe the time, nobody wanted to risk going forward with a different singer, since he had become "the face" of the band.

Yeah, it was stupid, but I guess they were worried the house of cards would collapse without Perry.

And here comes the countersuit:

It looks like the now infamous JOURNEY (Nightmare Productions) board meeting wasn't a coup to overthrow NEAL SCHON and JONATHAN CAIN, but rather a move to stop Neal from registering the name JOURNEY THROUGH TIME, which the participants argued would devalue the JOURNEY name. Cain and Schon then declined to follow through on a band movie deal, to which Arnel refused to sing on the then upcoming tour unless it went ahead!

It's all in the filing: https://drive.google.com/file/d/11It...4v1R3hK2X/view

Much more here: https://melodicrock.com/articles/new...g-counter-suit